ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old March 11th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #1
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

2015 East Coast Ninja 250/300 Racing with TPM

As many of you know, racing the ninjettes with other ninjettes isn't the greatest on the east coast from the midatlantic on up north. You go down south, and it's great. I'm so jealous... But now, we have another option.

Team Promotion has had its own mini racing series called GPMoto for the last couple of years. This year, they are starting a new class just for the 250/300 called "Ninja Ready to Race". Pretty much, any 250 or 300 can enter. Honda and Kawasaki mostly. No 390 though.

Like any series, there are rules. Nothing too crazy. Very similar to Wera and CCS. Safety wiring and bellypan are required. Though I do see a conflict in the rules that I have to ask about. It says your lights have to be taped but a bellypan is required. I don't know too many people with stock body work and an enclosed bellypan. I'm checking on it.

I would post the rules up here, but they will probably change. So you can get the latest and greatest rules and dates on the TPM site: http://teampromotion.com/gp_moto_racing.php

I really hope we can get a good turnout for the races. I plan on being at 4 or 5 events this year. I would do more, but many of the race days are during the week, which makes things difficult.

Post up if you are interested or plan on attending any track-day / race-day. I plan on being at the first event on 4/18 at NCBike. From there, we will see.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #2
walk_n_wind
racer on a budget

Name: joeymink

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250, 2006 ZX6R

Wow, thx for sharing. I definitely want to try at least one of these out - will radio back when I figure my schedule out...
walk_n_wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #3
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Stock body work is allowed. Just tape up your lights, safety wire the required bolts, and race! This makes this a better option for those with a 250/300 that want to race that's not a track bike.

Old March 12th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #4
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

What about an East coast group ride? I'd be so down.

Old March 12th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
What about an East coast group ride? I'd be so down.
east coast ninjette track day, it'd be like a group ride except way better

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
Stock body work is allowed. Just tape up your lights, safety wire the required bolts, and race! This makes this a better option for those with a 250/300 that want to race that's not a track bike.
how about no body work? I'm assuming it'd be fine since the belly pan is the only important fairing for an oil tight setup

Old March 12th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #6
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
east coast ninjette track day, it'd be like a group ride except way better
Hmm... okay... how much is a typical track day? (assuming I have my own gear + bike)

Old March 12th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
@Hero Danny
costs of a track day:
getting there: if you don't have a truck or trailer uhaul is something like $50
tires: negligible bc you're on a 300 (just don't be on the stock IRC tires, you want a front that actually has grip, rear doesn't matter as much)
registration for the day: $200 or so
food & water: as much or as little as you care to spend, personally I load up on water and buy a case of cliff bars and something decent for lunch. Like an italian cold cut sammich so I don't need to drag a grill with me to the track.
gas: you'll run through about 1.5 tanks of gas across the day sometimes more sometimes less

I typically plan to spend around $500, and I smile as I fork over every penny
being the naturally thrifty guy I am I find myself able to get a full track day in for around $300 if I ride locally (and that's with the $200 registration) but always plan to spend a bit more $$$ since there are a lot of extras that are worth it, like photos

racing though....oh dear god save my bank account

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 13th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #8
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

This is off topic - You COULD ride your bike to the track and prep it (just tape lights), since your not far from Palmer i would guess. TTD is 240 for the day ( i think), after that youll just need food i guess? I didnt even use a full tank on my track day, but i had a 5gal tank just in case. The big investment is all the gear.

Really interested to see what comes of the NYST track date. I think i will be there that weekend, more than likely just doing a track day though, not racing.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #9
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

I don't have a truck and my car is way too small to tow my bike. I'd probably just ride to the track on my bike... It's only a 90 minute drive. $200 is expensive enough to make this a 2-3 time thing per season. lol

Old March 13th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #10
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

I would strongly advise against riding to the track. I did it my first two times a few years ago. It sucked! If anything happens, you will be in a bad situation with getting back home. For me, I was worried about something happening so much that I didn't even try new things on the track. And at the end of the day, you WILL be tired. Not fun or safe riding home that tired.

And no car is to small to tow a bike. You just need the right trailer. You may not be able to drive fast, but it is definitely possible. A hitch is a good investment. And a harbor freight trailer is light enough for a small car to tow. If you want to spend some money, a trailer-in-a-bag is awesome. You can even put it in your trunk when you are done.

Old March 13th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14

also, expect to be exhausted at the end of your first track day

Old March 14th, 2015, 08:18 AM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
I don't have a truck and my car is way too small to tow my bike. I'd probably just ride to the track on my bike... It's only a 90 minute drive. $200 is expensive enough to make this a 2-3 time thing per season. lol
I drive a Honda Fit and trailer my bike to the track.

You can rent a U-Haul trailer for $15/day.

So there.

My trailer cost all of $260 used, and it folds up and stores out of the way in the garage.

Do it. And take just a moment to peruse the thread titles in this section..... there's already a thread devoted exclusively to track days in the northeast.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218670

If you're waffling, why not just go to a track day and watch? When you see how cool it is you'll be hooked. You've got several tracks nearby... Thompson, Palmer and NHMS.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #13
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

We'll see. I have toyed with the idea of installing a hitch on my car. I believe the towing capacity of my car is 2,000 lbs. Hmm, I'm going to look further into it. I think I'd rather just buy a trailer and own it opposed to renting one every time.. assuming the price for one new isn't something ridiculous like $800. Anyone know a good trailer to buy for a decent price?

Old March 14th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Towing capacity of my car is 1,000 lbs, which is plenty.

The HF folding trailer I have is fine. Costs less than 300 new, but you have to add a deck and assemble it. I bought mine used for about 250. The folding feature is a big deal for me... it lives in my garage.

You'll also need a ramp.

These things are easy to find used.

For about 700 or so new, you can get a good trailer from Tractor Supply that has its own ramp. But it doesn't fold.

Old March 14th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Keep an eye out locally. These things come up all the time for cheap. For example, check this one just 40min from my house.

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showt...railer-450-obo $450 and already sorted, ready to haul.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #16
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Keep an eye out locally. These things come up all the time for cheap. For example, check this one just 40min from my house.

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showt...railer-450-obo $450 and already sorted, ready to haul.
Yeah, used is the way to go I believe.

You think this is a good deal? I could offer him $400 and see what he says
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/4930597749.html

Old March 15th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

6 big faces is a fair deal on that considering the bigger wheels, drop down ramp and bike wheel chock. You could offer $475-$500 and see but assuming the bearings, axle and seals are gtg, then $400 would be a lowball offer. But can't hurt I guess, hahahaha.

Also, there are other hidden costs with trailers depending on your state laws... lights, registration, plates and such.

Tip: Ensure you have the correct ball size for the hitch on the rear of the tow vehicle. It would suck to have to make a side trip to the store to get a 2'' ball if you only got a 1 7/8 when you arrive. It will be stamped on the trailer tongue.

Old March 17th, 2015, 05:32 AM   #18
adouglas
Cat herder

Yes, that's a good deal if it's solid and reasonably free of rust. Spare tire and chock are a plus.

Danny, FYI Tony's Track Days is having an event at Thompson in early April. Lunch, lectures and a track walk. Worth going to. You'll learn a lot. But if there's still a lot of snow on the ground, don't bother.

Old March 24th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #19
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

this looks awesome, i hope there are enough entrants this year that they keep the 250 class so in due time when i can get my own trailer i can participate.
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #20
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
this looks awesome, i hope there are enough entrants this year that they keep the 250 class so in due time when i can get my own trailer i can participate.
If you have any questions about the racing, let me know. We want to get as many bikes on the grid as possible.

Old March 24th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #21
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
dude, I would love to race against you

Quote:
If you have any questions about the racing, let me know. We want to get as many bikes on the grid as possible.
I likely won't be signing up for any 250/300 racing this season since my budget is already fubar but am heavily interested for next season.

What are the requirements? typical safety-wired oil tight setup with a bellypan?
I'd be down to run my pregen in this this season if I don't need fairings to run. Otherwise I'll just pick up a newgen 250 next winter to have some fun with or converting my 300 to track/street

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #22
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
dude, I would love to race against you

I likely won't be signing up for any 250/300 racing this season since my budget is already fubar but am heavily interested for next season.

What are the requirements? typical safety-wired oil tight setup with a bellypan?
I'd be down to run my pregen in this this season if I don't need fairings to run. Otherwise I'll just pick up a newgen 250 next winter to have some fun with or converting my 300 to track/street
You will need to safety wire, but you can run street plastics. As long as you don't mod the engine, like head-work or change from stock carbs, you are good to go. The rules are outlined here: http://teampromotion.com/gp_moto_racing.php

If you are doing track days, doing a race or two won't be that much more. I think you have to pay $25 for the year if you have a race license. The only thing that sucks is the race is $60. I disagree with that cost since the other class races are $35 in the series. I'm going to talk to them about it.

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #23
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I think the cost goes by interest so the cost may go down if more people sign up

basically the total needs to be the same for the track time for them to cover their costs and make money. A(number of riders) * B(individual cost) = C(total costs) so a greater number of riders means a smaller cost. I doubt they have any issue filling grids with 600cc supersports

Hmm, if you can run street plastics then you can run no plastics (note the pic to the left of this post for the lack of fairings that the 250 has)

Old March 24th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #24
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I think the cost goes by interest so the cost may go down if more people sign up

basically the total needs to be the same for the track time for them to cover their costs and make money. A(number of riders) * B(individual cost) = C(total costs) so a greater number of riders means a smaller cost. I doubt they have any issue filling grids with 600cc supersports

Hmm, if you can run street plastics then you can run no plastics (note the pic to the left of this post for the lack of fairings that the 250 has)
I agree. But I still think the cost is high. Then again, you do get a pay-out if you place well enough.

If you are running regular coolant, you will have to change to Engine Ice or water wetter. No plastics should be fine.

Old March 24th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #25
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I think I may do one or two of these for fun then

sidenote: that $100 at shenny wasn't all season just april. Dropped a few days off the calendar temporarily as a result but shenny is still pretty reasonably priced so I'll probably ride the days I dropped anyway

Old March 24th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #26
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Quote:
For the ninja ready to race rules it says all of the above applies as well as bla bla etc.

in the above says belly pan but you say no belly pan is required?

The only thing I would have to do for my bike is get it safety wired which my local shop can do no problem. My only problem is getting my bike there without hassling some people i know to get me and my bike there just for my own gain. Unless they do races of all the categories in the same day, maybe my friend would be interested in doing some higher level races and I could tag along and do the 250 ones

edit: i see the schedule for what the day will be like, multiple races for all the different groups. Very interesting ill ask my buddeh and see if he may be interested. Though he wont be in the 250 class but at least i would be able to go

Old March 25th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #27
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I think I may do one or two of these for fun then

sidenote: that $100 at shenny wasn't all season just april. Dropped a few days off the calendar temporarily as a result but shenny is still pretty reasonably priced so I'll probably ride the days I dropped anyway
I got an email about this last night from TPM. It would have been nice if they were $100 for the whole season!

Quote:
For the ninja ready to race rules it says all of the above applies as well as bla bla etc.

in the above says belly pan but you say no belly pan is required?

The only thing I would have to do for my bike is get it safety wired which my local shop can do no problem. My only problem is getting my bike there without hassling some people i know to get me and my bike there just for my own gain. Unless they do races of all the categories in the same day, maybe my friend would be interested in doing some higher level races and I could tag along and do the 250 ones

edit: i see the schedule for what the day will be like, multiple races for all the different groups. Very interesting ill ask my buddeh and see if he may be interested. Though he wont be in the 250 class but at least i would be able to go
I specifically asked about the bellypan because the TPM site says: "Bike should be fitted with a race body whose belly pan can hold approximately three quarts of fluid." The important word is "should". So that means you are good with stock fairings.

It would be cool to see you out there, and good experience for you as well. Just remember you need your race license first, which you can get through TPM.

Old March 25th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #28
Old Lemon
Lays er down

indeed i would do the school, and honestly i dont think im ready to race but id still do it since i know i would learn a lot and it would be fun.

Old March 31st, 2015, 07:42 AM   #29
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Hey, just got an email for the TPM Patriot 5hr endurance race for the 300cc class

It's saturday may 23rd at VIR patriot course

I'm in to join a team if anyone's interested, it looks to be a hell of a lot of fun
-I'd suggest a team of 3-4 riders that way we get at least an hour break between the half hour sessions

Old March 31st, 2015, 08:09 AM   #30
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

I would do it, but I will be at Summit Point CCS races that weekend. For those that do attend, it should be a good time.

Old March 31st, 2015, 08:14 AM   #31
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Oh crap I forgot that I was already booked that weekend at CCS Summit Main on the gsx-r hahaha

would've been fun, maybe next time

Old April 19th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #32
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Well the first "Ninja Ready to Race" race is in the bag! It was a lot of fun, despite finding some severe issues with my bike. Seven participants. Three 300s and four 250s. It was a blast! Here are the results: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...s-from-ncbike/

We'd love for more riders to join in. If you have any questions after reading through the relevant posts in the thread, let me know.

Old April 20th, 2015, 06:28 AM   #33
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I saw a pic and story on Facebook looked cool

Old April 20th, 2015, 06:49 AM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Hmmm, thinking about making a race or two. I will know my season's schedule for sure in less than 30 days.

Old April 20th, 2015, 08:54 AM   #35
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Hmmm, thinking about making a race or two. I will know my season's schedule for sure in less than 30 days.
Nice! It was a blast.

Old May 24th, 2015, 06:35 AM   #36
Mike K
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 track bike, 2007 Suzuki GSXR 750 track bike, 2002 Yamaha R6, 1995 CBR600RR f3 track bike

Doing my first track day 6/13 with TPM at NJMP. If I have any skill maybe a race license for next season. Fingers crossed that I have the right mix of brains and balls...LoL

Mike

Old May 25th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #37
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
any news on this? They have a lot of days to choose from