ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 11th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
NylundHD
ninjette.org member

Name: Joey

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Beginner Gear! Look ok?

Hey guys! Starting to look at some gear for when I get my bike! Now understand this gear is just for me to drive the bike around my neighborhood and some parking lots until I am comfortable enough to take the MSF! Let me know what you think!

Helmet:
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Hawk-Helm...et/139417.html

Visor:
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Hawk-Helm...es/147815.html

Jacket:
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...ric/64174.html

Gloves:
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycl...ves/56128.html

I will eventually buy more gear once I get comfortable and am getting ready to take the bike out on the streets! Let me know what you think so far!
NylundHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to gear area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You got 2 ways of looking at it.

Go minimum as you can to ensure you don't overbuy before getting into riding. You might not like it as much as the idea of riding. It can be the smart thing to do if you are somewhat unsure. If this is the case, then your selections are fine aside of the jacket. A jacket like that is just not required for the MSF.

If your 100% sure you will be riding after the MSF then I honestly think you could do much better shopping the closeout deals on various sites. You should end up with much better gear for just a bit more $$ and not have to rebuy after your msf.

Good luck either way.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #4
office
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): '04 Ninja 250R, WR400F

Go to a brick-and-morter store and try a bunch of helmets on. Even a helmet that is the correct size range might have fit issues. I have tried on some mid to high end lids and found that they pinch in funny places.

Get some real leather gloves. I second the opinion to skip the jacket for now.
office is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
buy some boots. take the msf before you ride your own bike. its cheaper to crash someone else's bike.

Old June 11th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
You should not fall during the course, Joey.
And even if you do, working boots, jeans and any heavy jacket will be good.
Try sturdy but flexible gloves and ask the provider if they lend helmets for the course, many do.
You will have a better idea about this staff after your pass the tests.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Why buy sub-par stuff just because you're a noob? Is your personal safety less of a concern than it will be later on?

I strongly recommend doing the MSF BEFORE you start riding around your neighborhood. You will learn correct habits and won't have a chance to start doing things wrong that you will then have to un-learn.

I agree with the "get the minimum to take the MSF" advice above. Chances are you already own everything required. They will give you a helmet to wear.

Then, get good gear... the best you can afford. That way you won't have to replace it.

There's a guy here at the office who just bought his first bike. He got a beater, on the premise that he'd drop it (and he has, already). But he also bought top-shelf leather gear... all his protective apparel is as good as it gets (Arai, A*, Held, etc.). His gear probably cost him half or more what the bike did. I think he's got his priorities straight.

Fit and function are more important than name brand. There's a ton of info out there on proper fit and gear buying advice, but here's a short(ish) version:

- Your helmet should fit snugly. When you have it on and move it around, the skin on your face should too. If it doesn't it's too lose. There are endless debates about helmet quality and ratings... suffice it to say that if it doesn't fit, it won't work properly no matter who made it.

- Your jacket (and pants) should have good armor (CE rated) and should fit snugly enough that the armor will stay put in a crash. Consider replacing the lame back pad in the jacket with a CE-rated back protector. Wheelchairs suck.

- You should strongly consider hi-viz gear, or at least light colors. All-black gear may look bada$$ but it makes you hard to see. Personally, I wear only neon-yellow helmets because your head is the single easiest-to-spot part of you. It's higher than anything else and the helmet makes it even bigger than it already is.

- Leather is better than textile if you can afford it, from both a durability and a protection standpoint. A good leather jacket will last years. A textile jacket will probably wear out sooner. When I say "leather" I mean an actual riding jacket, with armor, not a "motorcycle jacket" from a clothing store.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #8
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

no.

Ive never even heard of that brand.... At least get a well known cheaper brand like GMax. You can get one of their helmets for like $100.

and what is that site? Gawd its worse than the cycle gear site.

Speaking of cycle gear. See if there is one near you and go to their store.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #9
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

these are some realllllly good deals. wish id had the money for em atm.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...ro-mesh-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...leather-jacket
just check out revzillas closeout section. a ton of helmets for under 150.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #10
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Here you go, my friend: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

sportbiketrackgear.com also has pretty epic closeouts regularly. Here are a few options for close to the prices you picked out:

Helmet: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...+-+solid+speed

or ESPECIALLY this one -- this is a killer helmet: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...ex+torn+helmet

Jacket: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/insanity/3225

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...hter+ss+jacket

Gloves: I can tell you're on a budget, but you couldn't pay me to wear those gloves you picked out. They would be very close to useless in a crash. Unfortunately, gloves and boots are the two places where it's very close to true that you get what you pay for. It's difficult to get gloves that are worth wearing for less than $100. If I were you, I'd look at the marketplace for some second-hand higher-end gloves. At the very least, I'd get something like this: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...esh+long+glove. All IMHO, of course.

Good luck!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 11th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Nice Travis, those are the kinda deals I was referring to, about the same prices as the original selections. That bell is a bit heavy but will make a mighty fine first helmet.

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #12
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Nice Travis, those are the kinda deals I was referring to, about the same prices as the original selections. That bell is a bit heavy but will make a mighty fine first helmet.
Im guessing the downside to a heavy helmet would be a fatigued neck? If so, does that just happen on longer rides or would you notice it period?
dwright0723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #13
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

I bought all my first gear from leather up too. Google a coupon code and you should be able to find like a 10-15% off one. I might have a coupon in my email.
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright0723 View Post
Im guessing the downside to a heavy helmet would be a fatigued neck? If so, does that just happen on longer rides or would you notice it period?
Yep, especially in the wind and after a day of riding. I notice it more because I have worn some really nice helmets that were light and some really crappy ones that are heavy. When you get into the really nice helmets the price shoots waaaaaaayyy up.

Old June 14th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #15
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Yep, especially in the wind and after a day of riding. I notice it more because I have worn some really nice helmets that were light and some really crappy ones that are heavy. When you get into the really nice helmets the price shoots waaaaaaayyy up.
Yeah, I'd guess that as a new rider, you'd be hard pressed to notice. We're talking a difference in ounces, whereas you'll be adjusting to riding with ANYTHING on your head. So your neck will be tired regardless of the helmet you wear. Going from never riding to wearing something in the 3-4lb range on your head (in the wind), you are unlikely to notice the difference between an $800 helmet that weighs 3.1lbs and a $70 helmet that weighs 3.8lbs (for instance).

But then, once you get hooked....... get ready to spend every cent you ever make!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #16
NylundHD
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Yeah, I'd guess that as a new rider, you'd be hard pressed to notice. We're talking a difference in ounces, whereas you'll be adjusting to riding with ANYTHING on your head. So your neck will be tired regardless of the helmet you wear. Going from never riding to wearing something in the 3-4lb range on your head (in the wind), you are unlikely to notice the difference between an $800 helmet that weighs 3.1lbs and a $70 helmet that weighs 3.8lbs (for instance).

But then, once you get hooked....... get ready to spend every cent you ever make!
hahaha! hope my gf doesn't mind me using all my money on something else.

Old June 14th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #17
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

I haven't seen it mentioned so I thought I would comment on:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

I know a lot of people who have been very happy dealing with them, and they have a good return policy too.

Edit - they also have sections for people selling lightly used gear for some pretty incredible deals.
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #18
ninja820
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergie

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

leatherup sucks!

Stay away from leatherup. Horrible customer service and experience with them! You can find better stuff at other sites like www.rockymountainatvmc.com, www.motorycyclecloseouts.com, www.motorcycle-superstore.com, www.revzilla.com
ninja820 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #19
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

^guess I got lucky with them! Or you were unlucky. I order a helmet, jacket and gloves..got it in central fla 2 days later. I even called before I ordered with a question about the jacket I wanted. They were very helpful.
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #20
NylundHD
ninjette.org member

Helmet 107:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...+-+solid+speed

and also a mirrored visor.

Jacket and Gloves combo - $109.95:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/c...torrent-gloves

Old June 14th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #21
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Just a quick tip, Motorcycle Superstore has always been great to me and they do free shipping on orders above $89 I believe and it is TWO DAY shipping + a couple of days for them to process the order. Just ordered new leathers from Revzilla because they had my size in the pants and I felt bad for using their reviews and not giving them my business and they also do free shipping, but it's standard... so gear I would have had a few days ago from Motorcycle Superstore won't be here until monday.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #22
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

I took the MSF course 4 months before I even began looking at a bike to buy. I got my gear off craigslist, $90 for a leather jacket w/matching gloves and helmet (some off-brand). Eventually got rid of the helmet in favor of an icon (still keep the old one around just in case). jacket and gloves still had tags on them when I got them.

Point being, check your local listings. You can find some great stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0072.JPG (248.6 KB, 13 views)
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #23
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I wouldn't exactly call off brand gear "great stuff." You want thick, quality leather or textile in impact areas, mesh in non impact areas is fine IMO but others opinions may be different. You also want CE rated armor in everywhere that's going to hit something solid. And for the love of God please do not use an off brand helmet.... You can get DOT, ECE, SNELL approved Scorpion EXO-400 for $100-150 brand new easily. Bell has helmets on sale all the time too, $70 for their entry level model that's infinitely better than some cheapo. How much do you really value your life?
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #24
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
I wouldn't exactly call off brand gear "great stuff." You want thick, quality leather or textile in impact areas, mesh in non impact areas is fine IMO but others opinions may be different. You also want CE rated armor in everywhere that's going to hit something solid. And for the love of God please do not use an off brand helmet.... You can get DOT, ECE, SNELL approved Scorpion EXO-400 for $100-150 brand new easily. Bell has helmets on sale all the time too, $70 for their entry level model that's infinitely better than some cheapo. How much do you really value your life?
Helmet that I got was DOT, as well as the Icon helmet that I'm currently using. The jacket has thick leather in impact areas as well as spots to put in armor.
It doesn't have to be brand name to be good.

My whole point was that it can pay off to check the local listings before you go out and pay hundreds of dollars more for similar quality.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #25
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Those gloves are a joke!!!
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #26
syntinena
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Danielle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidrider View Post
I haven't seen it mentioned so I thought I would comment on:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

I know a lot of people who have been very happy dealing with them, and they have a good return policy too.

Edit - they also have sections for people selling lightly used gear for some pretty incredible deals.
Love that site! Got my hjc helmet for $69 and they ship your order fast.
syntinena is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #27
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

This post isn't in regards to the gear, because I just started riding, and don't have valid input on that lol

But I'm sure you're more than ready for the MSF course. I had NEVER been on a motorcycle before the course (not even a dirtbike), and passed it fine. Hell, I hadn't even driven a manual car before it.
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote