ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Trackday @ Buttonwillow 11/24-11/25/12

Boring Off the Track Crap

I was one of the first guys to arrive at the track the day before. I didn't realize that everyone else was planning on coming up Saturday morning. I found a spot to pit unpacked some stuff and chilled in my car. A few hours later a couple guys with a huge camper pit behind me. They shined their spot light on me in my car and then invited me over and handed me beer and shots of vodka They invited me in, made me food, and offered me bong rips which I politely declined. People at the track are just awesome, they even offered to let me sleep in their camper.

They gave me tips and reviewed my videos along with Kevin and Gurk and told me what I need to do in what turns. I think the best piece of advice I got was from Ohmid. He asked, "You paid for the whole track right?" Yea... "Then why aren't you using it?" It was a good point and so the second day I tried going faster and wider in turns. Outside inside outside. A great couple of guys and I hope to see them at some future track days.

The pits at buttonwillow are huge, tons of space. They also have garages you can rent with power, probably not a bad place to sleep either.

The Track

At first I didn't like Buttonwillow. Compared to Chuckwalla, I really didn't like it. It was hard to see where the track went, it had blind turns and patches everywhere. No braking markers or apex cones and the sides weren't quite as well painted. But, the more I rode the track the more I liked it. As I learned how to take the turns and where the turns were I started having more fun. I'm not sure which I like more but buttonwillow is far closer so I'll probably do a good amount of trackdays there next year.

Ride Report

Day One

My first ride on the track I got that same feeling at Chuckwalla. That roller coaster feeling of 'oh **** maybe this wasn't such a good idea but its too late now so **** it!' Really didn't like the track at first but it sure grew on me to the point that I love it.

I took it easy for the first few sessions to learn the track. By the 4th session I was feeling pretty confident and knew where all the turns were though I was still learning what I should do with them. I'd alternate between following a trackdaz control rider, to riding my own ride, to getting stuck behind an though there really weren't too many on Saturday.

Saturday was meant to be my learn the track and learn the lines day with hopes that sunday I could then work on the other parts of my riding. So for the majority of Saturday I was not leaning off the bike nor shifting gears much. I'd coast into turns to find out how fast I could take them and I worked on figuring out how to take them and where to turn in.

By the end of the day as I was getting more confident and faster I worked on leaning off the bike more. Fully hanging off the bike didn't feel comfortable so I gradually worked at it instead. I would keep my butt planted in the same spot and lean my upper body to the side of the bike. When I did that my leg naturally wanted to come off the tank so I would let it. I wasn't jutting it out but it was off the tank. My plan was to work on it more in the sweepers on Sunday.

In total I got to ride 135 miles on the track on Saturday. There were a few crashes but C group was hardly impacted. I think B group might have had a session skipped once or twice though. There was a bad crash in A that left one guy unconscious but breathing, he was taken to the hospital, video will be posted below. Other than that there weren't too many crashes on Saturday but still more than there should have been.

Day Two

All hell breaks loose. A lot of people from day one left and day two was filled up with crashes. Had I known there would be so many crashes and so little track time I wouldn't have paid for this day, I would have just left. It was that bad. I'd estimate that around 20 bikes crashed across all 3 sessions. Two people sent to the hospital and nearly every session had at least 1 red flag. It was bad. People were fighting for trackday trophies and trackday contingency money which included a hefty amount of parts replacement for their bikes.

I had 3 sessions that weren't red flagged, 1 first thing in the morning, and 2 at the end of the day with no one riding. Two sessions in the day I got one lap in before it was red flagged. After that we regridded up and then were sent off the track from the grid so A group could ride. It was ****ing bullshit. It was supposed to be a different format so every group got their 20 minute sessions but C group had 2 full sessions cut off, I was pissed. My pictures which I prepaid for that day all sucked because I never had my tires warmed up before a red flag.

And when the race wasn't red flagged I was stuck behind Mr. WOT in the straights and half speed full race lines in the corners. Some of these guys which you'll see in the videos take the full outside inside outside race line, hang way the **** off the bike, and then go 30 mph. It was painful but it also got me excited to learn how to pass them. The only problem was before I could figure out how to pass them the goddamn race would get red flagged.

Sunday was ****, complete and utter ****. I had very high hopes for it, I really wanted to work on my riding that day but I rarely got the chance to. I at least got 1 good session in as the sun was going down but that's hardly compensation for the $160 I paid. I had 85 miles on the track on sunday. 50 miles less than the previous day where I was going slower. And those 50 miles that got cut out were in the middle of the day when the track was warm. I got full sessions in the morning and at dusk, yippee.

I don't think I improved all that much on sunday, I just didn't really have a chance to. I did clean up my lines a little bit and carry more speed through turns when I was able to but really it was meh.

I am damn excited to go back to Buttonwillow though, super fun track and I want to learn how to poach those slow asses in the turns

I also had quite a bit of trouble downshifting and braking at the same time. My front brake has a lot of give before it starts to bite which makes 2 finger braking difficult. What I ended up doing was brake, then down shift, then start braking again and then turn. It would have been nice to have a slipper clutch If I got SS brake lines for the front would it help it bite quicker so that I could 2 finger it and blip and downshift?

Oh and that back sweeper before the esses, I need more practice with that thing. It's hard to tell how fast I can go and still cut in without running off the track. I think I figured out 2 lines that will work for it but I never really pushed myself there

Pics

Full gallery is Here

Videos

Haven't edited saturday yet

My slowest lap sunday 3:08 (second half)

Link to original page on YouTube.

My fastest lap sunday 2:38

That A group crash

Slow guys in turns grr!

(Will post soon)

And session breakdown

Saturday

Session 1 Time:
Session 2 Time:
Session 3 Time:
Session 4 Time:
Session 5 Time:
Session 6 Time:
Session 7 Time:
Session 8 Time:

Sunday

Session 1 Time: 3:04
Session 2 Time: No laps, Two red flags
Session 3 Time: 2:50 One red flag
Session 4 Time: No laps, One red flag
Session 5 Time: 2:50 One red flag
Session 6 Time: 2:38
Session 7 Time: 2:43

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
TL;DR. pretty pictures though.

also enable embedding on your videos, noob.

also, once you are leaned over -- before you hit the apex -- go WOT right away (smooth roll on over a second or so) and hold WOT until you need to brake for the next corner.

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
TL;DR. pretty pictures though.

also enable embedding on your videos, noob.
gfy

it is enabled
AFM #676

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
gfy

it is enabled

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
You think the A group crash is mine?
AFM #676

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
just watched the last video of the crash. holy ****! two for one!!!

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Yep, and one dude is in a coma
AFM #676

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
jesus. who was it?

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
:O yikes

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I think it was the guy that endo'd

3 people went to the hospital this weekend. Easily 20+ crashed bikes
AFM #676

Old November 26th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #11
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Not what I wanted to hear
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #12
sierrahotel
CVMA #92

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): harleys

Quote:
also, once you are leaned over -- before you hit the apex -- go WOT right away (smooth roll on over a second or so) and hold WOT until you need to brake for the next corner.
That's pretty ****ing scary advice to give someone on their second trackday. I hope he doesn't listen to you.
sierrahotel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
The more advice alex gives me the less I listen to him
AFM #676

Old November 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice Jiggles, keep at it, your doing great. Just wait till you pay $150+ to sit in the garage or under your ezup the whole day because of rain. I recommend everyone do a track day in the rain at least once, it's totally worth it for the street skills but sometimes you just don't feel it.

If you get the chance to buy a set of rains.... do it!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I'll ride the track in the rain! That would be fun
AFM #676

Old November 26th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #16
9lives
ninjette.org member

Name: Walter

Motorcycle(s): Daytona 675

Quote:
Figures the guy that's in the coma is the one who didn't even do anything wrong. Just gets collected in someone else's mistake.
9lives is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #17
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Quote:
I'll ride the track in the rain! That would be fun
I've raced in the rain. It was a blast! I loved it!

Old November 27th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #18
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrahotel View Post
That's pretty ****ing scary advice to give someone on their second trackday. I hope he doesn't listen to you.
May only be his 2nd track day but he's got the crashing experience of 10. Also his bullshit detectors are only semi okay

Old November 27th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
May only be his 2nd track day but he's got the crashing experience of 10. Also his bullshit detectors are only semi okay
wat wat and wat?
AFM #676

Old November 27th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #20
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old November 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #21
9lives
ninjette.org member

Did anyone else read this guys comments on that crash???????

-I WAS NOT GOING FOR A PASS- A class runnin good another rider was on the on brakes into my front tire I was a foot to late on getting out the way! in my opinion the apex was where I was the straightest line through the turn, there are 2 line through this turn he could have held his better, the rider behind me as my bike slides around is doing a stoppie into the back of my bike trying to avoid as he did thx he paid a price. away in the ambulance.
I WAS NOT GOING FOR A PASS !!

Seriously????? You were the overtaking rider which means it's your responsibility to get by cleanly. That was 100% your fault learn from your mistake don't try and blame the other rider. Watch your video again I saw that one coming and you should have to.

Old November 27th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9lives View Post
Seriously????? You were the overtaking rider which means it's your responsibility to get by cleanly. That was 100% your fault learn from your mistake don't try and blame the other rider. Watch your video again I saw that one coming and you should have to.
Pretty sure the dude reads the barf forum if you want to tell him

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=418550
AFM #676

Old November 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Did anyone else read this guys comments on that crash???????

-I WAS NOT GOING FOR A PASS- A class runnin good another rider was on the on brakes into my front tire I was a foot to late on getting out the way! in my opinion the apex was where I was the straightest line through the turn, there are 2 line through this turn he could have held his better, the rider behind me as my bike slides around is doing a stoppie into the back of my bike trying to avoid as he did thx he paid a price. away in the ambulance.
I WAS NOT GOING FOR A PASS !!

i was thinking the same thing... you hit someone from behind while passing on a chicane, its your fault. i dont care what line they were taking.

Old November 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

I wanna see the unedited version taken by the trackside camera.

Old November 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
good luck with that

The did a piss poor job of editing that video
AFM #676

Old November 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #26
9lives
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You don't need to just watch the guys own video. The link is right after the videos from Jiggles.

Old November 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #27
9lives
ninjette.org member

Quote:

I went over and looked. I don't need to say anything a bunch of people are already telling him it was a bad move.

Old November 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #28
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:

Hahaha...his account with BARF got suspended! LOL

We should lynch mob his vid w/comments.

Old November 27th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Hahaha...his account with BARF got suspended! LOL

We should lynch mob his vid w/comments.
Lol well... thats not the guy and the suspended thing is a joke
AFM #676

Old November 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #30
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

What? Damn...this is no fun! LOL

Old November 28th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #31
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
And when the race wasn't red flagged I was stuck behind Mr. WOT in the straights and half speed full race lines in the corners. Some of these guys which you'll see in the videos take the full outside inside outside race line, hang way the **** off the bike, and then go 30 mph. It was painful but it also got me excited to learn how to pass them. The only problem was before I could figure out how to pass them the goddamn race would get red flagged.
Imo the best thing to do with those guys (especially if they ride 600cc + bike), is to just go slowly on the straights. Passing them in the corners is futile because in the next straight there they go again, passing you just before the next corner and screw over your concept for the entire section.

It may sound stupid but you can also record your track times with low straight speeds. Just don't go over a certain speed in the straight and you still get consistent measurements, which can be used to asses your progress in the more interesting sections. You do loose the opportunity to learn how to brake though.

Unless they are rediculously slow and they can't make up for the time lost in corners in the straights. And of course, this is worthless if there is 20 of them on the track at the same time.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #32
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Hey Domagoj how goes?

I am not saying Jiggles or anyone should bump up. But if you find yourself consistently in traffic every session, you might consider the next faster group in your class or the next group entirely. I camped c and b groups waaaaayyyy to long. Don't be me.

They say, your only as fast as the company you keep.

Old November 28th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #33
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
constantly getting passed in every corner is a good way to learn you're going way to slow

Old November 28th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #34
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
constantly getting passed in every corner is a good way to learn you're going way to slow
Then I guess Nem and I educated the **** outta B group!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #35
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Hey Domagoj how goes?

I am not saying Jiggles or anyone should bump up. But if you find yourself consistently in traffic every session, you might consider the next faster group in your class or the next group entirely. I camped c and b groups waaaaayyyy to long. Don't be me.

They say, your only as fast as the company you keep.
Hey! I'm waiting for spring. Or at least February And forgetting all I learned as time goes by....

We don't have groups here. It's just chaos. You may end up with a guy which goes insanely quick and with a dude that's enjoying his first track day at the same time.

In any case, this is @Jiggles ' topic. And a normal one. One of many. I can't believe how much he's changed in the last few months. Or I've gone crazy.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #36
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Here you go @Jiggles all the trackday advise you should ever need

Old November 30th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #37
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
Imo the best thing to do with those guys (especially if they ride 600cc + bike), is to just go slowly on the straights. Passing them in the corners is futile because in the next straight there they go again, passing you just before the next corner and screw over your concept for the entire section.

It may sound stupid but you can also record your track times with low straight speeds. Just don't go over a certain speed in the straight and you still get consistent measurements, which can be used to asses your progress in the more interesting sections. You do loose the opportunity to learn how to brake though.

Unless they are rediculously slow and they can't make up for the time lost in corners in the straights. And of course, this is worthless if there is 20 of them on the track at the same time.
At Buttonwillow raceway there are several short straightaways that aren't long enough for them to catch you unless they can corner as fast if not faster than you. But that's all relative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
Then I guess Nem and I educated the **** outta B group!
Luv serving some humble-pie to those guys on bigger bikes.

Old November 30th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #38
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
humbolt pie? that sounds delicious.

Old November 30th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #39
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Figures the guy that's in the coma is the one who didn't even do anything wrong. Just gets collected in someone else's mistake.
Ain't that the truth...I'm one of those unfortunately

Really sux for the guy that endo'd and is in a coma

And it is always the passing rider's responsibility to do a pass safely. He just wasn't patient and that corner (The Offroad or Off Cambre---whatever that turn name is called) is one of the worst places to pass.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #40
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
I asked Dustin of trackdayz if there was any more work on the rides condition and he said he as of like 3 days ago he was able to breath on his own without any machine aid. I don't know if that means he's still in or out of the coma but it sounded like progress in the right direction. This was on Tuesday I think.