ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old August 29th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #1
jesse4b11
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

my 1k trip in detail

I attempted to do a 1k ride on my bike because I did it so many times in my car in 1 day, I figured it wouldnt be a big deal, also I was on a huge budget and time wasnt an option, I had an interview in florida and I was living in new york, the budget couldnt allow me to take my car, plus my bike was brand new so I wanted to take it anyway, I hadnt even reached my first service when I did this trip.
I had a duffle bag and a book bag both strapped to the back of the bike, and I had a small bag that I wore on my chest, that had the sturf that I need, wallet, water, phone charger, things that could be taken out quick.
I left around 1am becaude I was so excited I couldnt sleepx I wore a hoodie and my joe rocket jacket, and I stuffed my hood inside the helmet cus it muffled the wind a little plus I had on headphones, some toll booth you get motorcycle discounts. Now it was about 55 maybe 60 degrees, im use to cold winters so I thought I had enough gear on to be fine, and I was wrong, standing still I would sweat, now riding was a completely different thing, when you're doing 70, its freezing, and I could believe it, I had my legs tucked right at the vents to get some heat, but I couldnt fully tuck because the wind would hit the bags and it would cause the bike to shake, I had to take the wind basically in order to ride safe, so I was upright the whole ride. Eventually it got so cold I couldnt handle it anymorex my arms were shaking and my teeth were going nuts, I pulled over at the side of the road and did jumping jacks, things like that, some harley guy pulled over and chilled with me for a bit, he was asking if I was alright and giving me some advice, and then I continued on for another hour or so, it felt like it only got colder from there, I tried to trick myself and it worked a couple times, eventually I went to a gas station to try and warm up, the owner was a biker, he gave me free coffee and offered me his jacket for my ride about 10x, I kept refusingx he was a really nice guy though and he couldnt believe I was doing it in this weather, when I think back at it, I should have took the jacket, after that I kept pushing forwardx praying the sun would come up soon, I stopped about every hour, just becausr I was so cold, eventually I was so cold I couldnt stop shaking or even stand up, so I laid down for about an hour inside a mcdonalds. After that the sun started to come up, its important you bring a phone charger, charge up as much as possible so everyone knows youre okay, or if something happens you can make that call, also because music lol, I also brought a portable charger with me, take the weather seriouslyx mother nature doesnt play, even if its not cold, at 70+ it will get colder, during the day I was fine, I got really far without filling up, I stayed in eco mpde which I believe is 72 mph, some people questioned the fact that I didnt fill up till like 1 of the carolinas, lol do your math, 70 mph, 4 gallons, making around 65 mpg with 4.5 gallons, simple math, you gey pretty dang far, in the carolinas and after I haf to fill up a couple times because they're so long, but gas wise for 1k, I spent roughly about 67$ I didnt touch 70$ in gas.
Eventually I got a little sleepy in the carolinas and fell asleep on my bike with the stand down, and I was like damn im a bit tired lol, but after my nap I was good and pushed on, around the carolinas, maybe south or north I dont remember, around south of the border actually, I couldnt take the pain of my inner thighs any longer, I was stopping almost every 15 minutes to stretch them out, and the carolinas are like 5 hours all together, I couldnt dp it, but I tried my bestx then I ran into some really heavy fpg, it was already late at this point, maybe 1am, and I was like I can barely ride from the pain, and I can barely see, its time to admit defeat, I couldnt afford it but I had to, I stopped at a motel, charged it to my credit card, rode my bike into my motel room, and took a shower and went to sleep, I woke up around 5am, got dressed, and headed out, eventually I got to georgia and it was burning hot, but I kept my gear on, and then I got to florida and I wanted to cry in joy, I couldnt believe the trip was finally almost over, I had 3 more hours though, I ran into a lot of rain in florida, but I pushed thru it, some cop was helping me switch lanes because at low speeds the rain on the visor because to mucj to see and he must have been a rider to realize I was having some trouple and he genuinely helped, so big thanks to whoever he was lol.
Eventually I got to my destination and I went to bed lol.

I do have advice for trips like this, if youre doing it because you sorta have to like me, relax and plan, dont hop on your bike and go like I did, biggest mistake, from the cold, to the heat, to the fog, to the wind, it could have been really bad, if you can afford to, ship your bags, seriously you wont regret it one bit, you dont want to go through what I did, tucking in slightly made everything shake and unsafe. Ship them if you can.

EAT and DRINK, keep your head in yhe game, only way to stay focused is for your body to be at 100%

Bring more jackets or whatever for any type of weather you may encounter, I didnt even have a poncho for the rain, I wasnt expecting it, riding soaking wet sucks. And bring them just in case if it gets colder than you thought, you need to stay warm while riding, its a must.

Have everything you need in a quick accessible bag, I had a small bag strapped to my chest with everything I need, portable chargerx wallet, snacks, water, everything, because if your bags are strapped, you dont want to keep taking off those straps, seriously.

If youre doing it for fun, I would recommend buying a new seat or finding something more comfortable, because the 300 seat is garbage, I could make something better out of cardboard and socks, but it will make a huge difference, you will get really sore believe it or not.

My wrist didnt hurt one bit, I guess that throttle lock would be cool to have, but you dont need it, my wrist and hands were fine, never bothered me once.

Dont stretch your limits, if your body says im done, then youre done, thats it, nobody cares if you didnt do what you said you were gonna do, its hard and a lot of people here probably can't even come close to it, its hard, end of story, take your time, its a must. I should have left a couple days earlier so I could have took my time.

I personally wouldnt do these trips unless I really have too, but if it were for fun, I wouldnt do it alone, nor would I bring and bagd, maybe a bookbag you can wear but thats it.

If you have any questions, ask me! That trip was the worse thing I ever did lolx but I have no problem talking about it lol
jesse4b11 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old August 29th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse4b11 View Post
If you have any questions, ask me! That trip was the worse thing I ever did lolx but I have no problem talking about it lol
First questions, would you do it again and how much in advance would you plan ahead of time?

ps... there are some really good nuggets of info in your post, very nice!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #3
jesse4b11
ninjette.org member

I would never do it again, unless I had a better seat and if it was only for fun with other riders involved.
And I think a week in advance is your best bet, dont do what I didnt do, look up the weather for the day you plan on leaving, but for every state, thats important, and make sure you have the funds for anything you may encounter, like having to stay at a motel, flat tire, etc.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Good post and great trip. Some things went wrong and some things went right, but most importantly you made it.

Good thing on listening to your body and head. You will tell yourself if anything is going wrong or you need to stop for a bit. Takes learning to heed those signs, glad to see you paid attention.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #5
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
You need a TLTR note at the end.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #6
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
"TLDR; He rode, a lot. He's crazy. Kthxbai"

Old August 29th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #7
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post

I read the lot
but a few will not IJS

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #8
jesse4b11
ninjette.org member

I dunno what that means, but whoever doesnt wanna read it doesnt have to, that's why I specifically put, my 1k trip, in detail, As the title.

Old August 29th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #9
jesse4b11
ninjette.org member

This is for people planning such a trip, if you arent, then youre wasting your time lol read something else

Old August 29th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #10
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Riding should be fun. I would have done that trip spread over maybe two or three days. Hell, I think the most miles I've ever driven in a car in one day is maybe 800, and I was completely wiped out.

Old August 29th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #11
jesse4b11
ninjette.org member

For sure man, I do so badly want to try this ride on my next bike, but in the other directipn, like west, my next bike hopefully is going to be an iron 883, Its so comfortable, longer trips have to be great on that.

Old August 31st, 2014, 11:45 AM   #12
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

@jesse4b11 - Good write up. You certainly learned how much it can suck if you dont plan properly. I did the same thing on a 6 hour ride- sunny wonderful weather. after the first hour rain. then it only got worse until it was night time, freezing and pouring in NY in Sept.

I stopped after two hours. Changed into dry shirt and socks then lined all my cloths with garbage bags and electrical tape. Put some shopping bags on my feet before putting my boots back on. And on I went. I have never had problems carrying luggage though ....

well except in Thailand on a scooter... suit case was stupid. I will always travel with packs from now on!

Glad you made it safe and sound!

YOU ALSO got to learn about the kindness of strangers and restore your faith in humanity!
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #13
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Name: Gregg

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Goldwing; 2009 KLR-650; 2011 Ninja 250; 2010 FJR-1300

Some, maybe most, will disagree with me when I say that the 250/300 are very capable 1K mile bikes day after day. With a few mods, they can be a very comfortable platform to slog out long miles.
IBA #485, Goldwing Darkside #646
http://va-ldrider.blogspot.com
Gregg_VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #14
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg_VA View Post
Some, maybe most, will disagree with me when I say that the 250/300 are very capable 1K mile bikes day after day. With a few mods, they can be a very comfortable platform to slog out long miles.
Hey, I've read some of your blog. Would you suggest the handlebar risers and Corbin (driver seat only) for other long distance Ninjetters?

Old October 20th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #15
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Hey, I've read some of your blog. Would you suggest the handlebar risers and Corbin (driver seat only) for other long distance Ninjetters?
I got these risers but did not use them as lowering blocks. I kept the shocks in the same position as factory stock.

http://www.buynowroaringtoyz.com/Nin...p/rtk725jb.htm

I am off the Corbin. I didn't like that seat. It was a bit wider than stock but so damn stiff it was just plain uncomfortable. I sent my stock seat pan into Russel Day Long and had them rework with the seat with side stiffeners included. That made all the difference. I can ride that bike a 1,000 plus miles a day with NO butt pain.

Also the "touring" model of the Zero Gravity windshield (mine is in dark smoke) is very helpful as well. Putting Grip Puppies and a throttle lock on as well are good additions.

Old October 20th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #16
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I got these risers but did not use them as lowering blocks. I kept the shocks in the same position as factory stock.

http://www.buynowroaringtoyz.com/Nin...p/rtk725jb.htm

I am off the Corbin. I didn't like that seat. It was a bit wider than stock but so damn stiff it was just plain uncomfortable. I sent my stock seat pan into Russel Day Long and had them rework with the seat with side stiffeners included. That made all the difference. I can ride that bike a 1,000 plus miles a day with NO butt pain.

Also the "touring" model of the Zero Gravity windshield (mine is in dark smoke) is very helpful as well. Putting Grip Puppies and a throttle lock on as well are good additions.

Excuse me asking.. How big is your butt? If you think Corbin is too thin, I wonder if butt size can alter your opinion considering so many love them! Throttle lock, touring windscreen, grip puppies.. These are all great additions to my list.

Thank you, sir!

Old October 20th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #17
Roark
ninjette.org sage

@jesse4b11, man I've got this image in my head of you huddled on the tank puttering along a lonesome road, just crying in agony from the trip's repeated lashings on your spirit and butt cheeks.

good write up, sir

Old October 21st, 2014, 01:51 AM   #18
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Quote:
Excuse me asking.. How big is your butt? If you think Corbin is too thin, I wonder if butt size can alter your opinion considering so many love them! Throttle lock, touring windscreen, grip puppies.. These are all great additions to my list.

Thank you, sir!
6' 1" and north of 250 but that isn't so muc of the problem. It is the way that Russell builds their seat wtih the side stiffeners that is the real treat. If your butt is larger than stock, meaning that your butt isn't fully on the seat then you are going to have pinch lines where your butt is exceeding the width of the seat and that becomes a pressure point over time. I don't have this problem with a Russell. If my butt was smaller then a Corbin may work fine but overall I have to say that I doubt it. A Russell is just that much more comfortable than a Corbin. Your miles and butt width may vary...

Old October 22nd, 2014, 08:34 AM   #19
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:

Thank you, sir!
He might have the opposite, the Hank Hill problem ( noassatall )

Old October 22nd, 2014, 08:37 AM   #20
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post

Oh thank you Nevada.... I'll have to come back when I have the patience and read the whole thing. But right now I feel amped up and incapable of paying too much attention.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:19 PM   #21
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
He might have the opposite, the Hank Hill problem ( noassatall )
Hahahaha

Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:20 PM   #22
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
6' 1" and north of 250 but that isn't so muc of the problem. It is the way that Russell builds their seat wtih the side stiffeners that is the real treat. If your butt is larger than stock, meaning that your butt isn't fully on the seat then you are going to have pinch lines where your butt is exceeding the width of the seat and that becomes a pressure point over time. I don't have this problem with a Russell. If my butt was smaller then a Corbin may work fine but overall I have to say that I doubt it. A Russell is just that much more comfortable than a Corbin. Your miles and butt width may vary...
Your butt will stay on my mind as I make my decision.

Oh wait

Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:43 PM   #23
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
hmmmm just

Old November 6th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #24
Roark
ninjette.org sage

@JohnnyBravo

Old November 6th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #25
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Shouldn't you be sleeping at this hour James

Old November 6th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #26
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
What the hell are you two doing?!

Old November 6th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #27
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
since when do you cuss?

Old November 7th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #28
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Since its late and I'm tired. Zzzzzz