ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 4th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #1
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

Losing power at full throttle

Got my 2009 250r with 1600 miles, 2200 now about a month ago and this was my first week taking it to work.

Noticed that in every gear when i open the throttle all the way, i loose significant power and rpms go down. As soon as I release turn the throttle forward about 1/2" or so it grabs again.
On the hwy spedo reads 70mph while on 65 but everyone passes me like I was doing 50. In my car if I'm doing 70 I'm passing everyone.
At 80mph I'm at 10k but when i open it it drops to 8.5k and 70 mph.
Now, please note that I'm 300lbs with all my gear on and travel 20 miles on hwy and 20 miles on back roads one way. This week I got about 150 miles on a full tank with a full Lucas tuneup in a bottle additive in 2 tank fills.
In my desperateness I went and bought a bottle of sea foam and will be using it on my new tank fill on Sunday.
What do you guys think is going on?
Local shop wants to charge me 350 just to clean the carbs + aditonal parts!

Help please!!!
trugracie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #2
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Another quick question, once I fix the throttle issue will a different sprocket configuration help with mpg?

Old April 4th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
did you check the air filter?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
It's gunna be a lean or rich bogging at full throttle. You weight is not an issue, so you can take that off the table as an issue.

Some possibilities;
Dirty main jet
Dirty fuel filter
Dirty air filter
Faulty petcock
Too many shims on carb needles

Do you know if it has a jet kit installed? If so the improper sized main jet could be installed.

What have you looked at so far?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
check the exhaust bearings and blinker fluids

Old April 4th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trugracie View Post
Another quick question, once I fix the throttle issue will a different sprocket configuration help with mpg?
Mpg and sprockets aye....

This is where rider weight will somewhat play a role in the outcome but more importantly will be how you ride it. At 180lbs, I haven't seen above 33/34mpg in years.

It was my experience that a 15t front did help a little bit with mpg but not enough to really rave about. And when I went to 15/42, I had a bit of trouble pulling the highway hills of KY at the speed limit while 2 up (300+lbs) on the freeway. It was even worse with a headwind and the mpg was definitely hit hard. Also take note, remember how you ride it plays a large role? I don't show my 250 much mercy, so factor that into my opinion.

Give it a try, sprockets are cheap enough.

Old April 4th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the biggest influence on mpg is your right hand

higher tire pressure helps too

Old April 4th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #8
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
It's gunna be a lean or rich bogging at full throttle. You weight is not an issue, so you can take that off the table as an issue.

Some possibilities;
Dirty main jet
Dirty fuel filter
Dirty air filter
Faulty petcock
Too many shims on carb needles

Do you know if it has a jet kit installed? If so the improper sized main jet could be installed.

What have you looked at so far?
Thanks for the quick response. Have not, nor have an idea how to take the carb off so I have no clue about the main jet or shims.

This weekend I plan on changing the plugs, oil and oil filter, clean the air filter, and a full tank with sea foam since bike sat for a year without use.
At 2k, should I use Rotella t6 synthetic 5w40?
Also, this Wednesday I'll be installing a Danmoto GP exhaust, will this make it worse?

Old April 4th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #9
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Mpg and sprockets aye....

This is where rider weight will somewhat play a role in the outcome but more importantly will be how you ride it. At 180lbs, I haven't seen above 33/34mpg in years.

It was my experience that a 15t front did help a little bit with mpg but not enough to really rave about. And when I went to 15/42, I had a bit of trouble pulling the highway hills of KY at the speed limit while 2 up (300+lbs) on the freeway. It was even worse with a headwind and the mpg was definitely hit hard. Also take note, remember how you ride it plays a large role? I don't show my 250 much mercy, so factor that into my opinion.

Give it a try, sprockets are cheap enough.
Really?
on the hwy I haven't even hit 90mph!!!
How accurate is the speedometer on these bikes?

Old April 4th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #10
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the biggest influence on mpg is your right hand

higher tire pressure helps too
Thanks on the advise!
on back roads i never rev above 7k and do just fine, on the highway no choide. 10k at 80mph, either that or I'll get run over!

Old April 4th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Mine was about 5-10% off depending on my speed. At the upper limits (65+) it was about 10% off.

If you say at 70, you are passing everyone in the car but everyone is passing you on the bike, I'd recommend taking a GPS (either a real one or one in a smartphone) and seeing what you are really doing out on some empty roadway.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #12
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
....Help please!!!
Your problem sounds simple. You can do way better than what the shops will do for you. Here's a little something that may help.

These few improvements are easy to do, don't cost a lot and will make the bike respond and ride a little better.

1. Shim the needles with (2) two 3mm washers and remove the snorkel. Shims add a little bit more fuel to the 1/4-3/4 throttle range, a little more fuel results in better throttle response-(simple, don't complicate it)(If you have a slip on exhaust removal of the kleen air system is optional if you don't mind the popping.) (I got plenty of shims)

2. Replace the stock air filter with;
WIX- P/N: 49721
UNI Air Filter- P/N: NU-2303
Hurricane Racing Performance Air Filter for the ’08-’12 Ninja 250
or
Pipercross Performance Air Filter- P/N: MXP166 (highly recommended)

4. Leave the airbox in. There is no real need to replace it with pod filters unless you like unnecessary work & spending more time tuning than riding. The exact same or similar results you get with pods you can get with the stock airbox and full exhaust system

3. Install Iridium Spark Plugs-either NGK Iridium CR8EIX (Check Advance Auto in Gastonia) or The Denso Iridium IU24. .

4. Run 87 octane gas, it makes more power. Use ethanol free if you can get it. If you live around Charlotte you must get it.

5. Run full synthetic oil.

6. Change your sprocket set up to 15/43, it offers the best balance of acceleration and top speed. Any extra HP gains are wasted without the proper gear set up.

Those who ride freeway like to reduce the RPM speed as much as possible and still be able to have passing power in the top gear if need be. As a frequent Hwy rider I use 15/41 and still outpace most traffic easy. I weigh about 235 fully loaded.

15/41 @ 8k = 76.3 mph in 6th gear
15/42 @ 8k = 74.5 mph in 6th gear
15/43 @ 8k = 72.8 mph in 6th gear
15/44 @ 8k = 71.1 mph in 6th gear
15/45 @ 8k = 69.6 mph in 6th gear

7. If you got a couple hundred dollars, you can change your engine timing. the BRT i-DTIS offers the second most significant gains to HP and torque as far as add ons go. The first is the full exhaust.

PM me if you need a little help.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:12 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

^^^ That is a great response right there as most 250 riders that want a lil something more from their bikes complete the above list.

Quote:
This weekend I plan on changing the plugs, oil and oil filter, clean the air filter, and a full tank with sea foam since bike sat for a year without use.
At 2k, should I use Rotella t6 synthetic 5w40?
Also, this Wednesday I'll be installing a Danmoto GP exhaust, will this make it worse?
Doing the work you stated above may help, it may not.
The t6 is just fine, many 250 riders here use it.
If the exhaust is just a slipon, it won't make any difference.

Blue is right though, doing the work yourself can save you a lot of $$$. Taking the carbs out is kinda a pain but the rest of the list is simple if your handy with a wrench.

Old April 5th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #14
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys.
Lots of great advise, doing most of what you suggested this weekend time permit.

Old April 5th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Thanks guys.
Lots of great advise, doing most of what you suggested this weekend time permit.
If time does not permit, keep rolling and stay away from full open throttle (too much air that cools the internal combustion).

With sufficient miles and flow of gasoline, those clogged jets and paths may clear up.

Use the peak torque of your engine, which is around 9,000 rpm.
Whenever you feel the engine weak, select the gear that keeps it spinning in that range.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #16
caliking
ninjette.org newbie

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2 gsxr 600's and a little ninjette

huge help

Thank you all so much this site stright rocks yall are beyond helpful I live in ,, california in the bay area so anyone in my area who would like to get there ride on HMU alwas down to meet new ppl help ppl out and RIDE!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Your problem sounds simple. You can do way better than what the shops will do for you. Here's a little something that may help.

These few improvements are easy to do, don't cost a lot and will make the bike respond and ride a little better.

1. Shim the needles with (2) two 3mm washers and remove the snorkel. Shims add a little bit more fuel to the 1/4-3/4 throttle range, a little more fuel results in better throttle response-(simple, don't complicate it)(If you have a slip on exhaust removal of the kleen air system is optional if you don't mind the popping.) (I got plenty of shims)

2. Replace the stock air filter with;
WIX- P/N: 49721
UNI Air Filter- P/N: NU-2303
Hurricane Racing Performance Air Filter for the ’08-’12 Ninja 250
or
Pipercross Performance Air Filter- P/N: MXP166 (highly recommended)

4. Leave the airbox in. There is no real need to replace it with pod filters unless you like unnecessary work & spending more time tuning than riding. The exact same or similar results you get with pods you can get with the stock airbox and full exhaust system

3. Install Iridium Spark Plugs-either NGK Iridium CR8EIX (Check Advance Auto in Gastonia) or The Denso Iridium IU24. .

4. Run 87 octane gas, it makes more power. Use ethanol free if you can get it. If you live around Charlotte you must get it.

5. Run full synthetic oil.

6. Change your sprocket set up to 15/43, it offers the best balance of acceleration and top speed. Any extra HP gains are wasted without the proper gear set up.

Those who ride freeway like to reduce the RPM speed as much as possible and still be able to have passing power in the top gear if need be. As a frequent Hwy rider I use 15/41 and still outpace most traffic easy. I weigh about 235 fully loaded.

15/41 @ 8k = 76.3 mph in 6th gear
15/42 @ 8k = 74.5 mph in 6th gear
15/43 @ 8k = 72.8 mph in 6th gear
15/44 @ 8k = 71.1 mph in 6th gear
15/45 @ 8k = 69.6 mph in 6th gear

7. If you got a couple hundred dollars, you can change your engine timing. the BRT i-DTIS offers the second most significant gains to HP and torque as far as add ons go. The first is the full exhaust.

PM me if you need a little help.
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #17
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Sorry I haven't followed up with my results guys but I have been having a blast with my new and improved ninjette.
Last Saturday I changed the oil to Rotella T6 5W40 and took the air filter to be washed really good with Simple Green and Dawn and last but not least sea foam on a fresh tank of gas. On Tuesday, right before I put the filter in, I removed the snorkel just like Blue suggested, and pumped my stock tires to 36psi in the front and 38psi in the back.
All I can say is WOW!!!!
Felt like a completely different machine, no power loss at WOT and finally broke my 65MPH speed with a whopping 95MPH. That was an amazing feeling riding her wide open without any hickups, and not having the least bit trouble keeping up with 70pmg traffic and still passing 18 wheelers.
Come Wednesday my Danmoto GP arived, so needless to say I installed it the same day. Lawd allmighty!!! Sounded like at least a 600cc. everyone at work couldn't praise me enough for my roaring monster as I pull up every morning.
What they don't know is that it just doesn't feel the same as it did those two days before I installed it. Feels like I lost some power and a little more finicky at take off.
Please note that I have not shimmed yet since I'm wondering if it will put a hurting on my MPG. Right now getting 50ish mpg riding her some what spirited.
What do you guys think?

Old April 11th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #18
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
....What do you guys think?
Shim those needles to cure the 1/4-1/2 throttle lag. Installing the Dan Moto left you with no restriction (back pressure). Now you have to compensate by adding a little fuel to the mix. Shimming won't hurt your MPG all that much. unless you can't control your new found need for speed.

Did you go with Iridium plugs and E-free 87 octane?

Old April 11th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #19
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Shim those needles to cure the 1/4-1/2 throttle lag. Installing the Dan Moto left you with no restriction (back pressure). Now you have to compensate by adding a little fuel to the mix. Shimming won't hurt your MPG all that much. unless you can't control your new found need for speed.

Did you go with Iridium plugs and E-free 87 octane?
Shimming tomorrow, yes I got the exact plugs you told me, and as far as fuel, I'm hosed. All the e-free stuff is 93!!!

BTW; What should I gap the plugs to?
Where can I buy a Pipercross Performance Air Filter MXP166?

Old April 11th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #20
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

15/43 @ 8k = 72.8 mph in 6th gear, not really

Mine does 9k at 100kph/62mph in 6th with 15/43, stock aussie 14/43

Unless aussie delivered bikes have gearbox ratio change

"I have not shimmed yet since I'm wondering if it will put a hurting on my MPG"
Why would people be bothered about "mpg". Its not mpg you should be worried about its going "BANG". Because you don't have the right AFR.
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #21
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

If you're ever in china grove get some 87 E-free at Wise Oil on the corner of East church, Hwy 29 & Lentz road. In Mooresville get it a Pikes BP , 210 N. Broad St (around the corner from Mitchell community college). You can probably catch either one on the way to Huntersville.

Saw the Pipercross filter on e-bay

The Iridium plugs come pre-gapped within kawi specs (0.7~0.8mm(0.03~0.04 in.), But it does not hurt to recheck them. Use caution if you absolutely need to adjust them because the electrode is really thin.

Old April 11th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #22
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
....15/43 @ 8k = 72.8 mph in 6th gear, not really

Mine does 9k at 100kph/62mph in 6th with 15/43, stock aussie 14/43

Unless aussie delivered bikes have gearbox ratio change
Have a look at Gearing Commander. Plug in your correct info and see what you should get. The gearbox ratios are the same for U.S. and Aus bike, just the final drives are different. Sounds like you have a large speedo error.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Old April 12th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #23
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If you're ever in china grove get some 87 E-free at Wise Oil on the corner of East church, Hwy 29 & Lentz road. In Mooresville get it a Pikes BP , 210 N. Broad St (around the corner from Mitchell community college). You can probably catch either one on the way to Huntersville.

Saw the Pipercross filter on e-bay

The Iridium plugs come pre-gapped within kawi specs (0.7~0.8mm(0.03~0.04 in.), But it does not hurt to recheck them. Use caution if you absolutely need to adjust them because the electrode is really thin.
Thanks for the heads up on the filter.....wow......$50 eh!..... And on the gas station. I drive by it every other day, that will be my g/s from now on!

Old April 12th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #24
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the filter.....wow......$50 eh!.....
I know S&H is a b****. If cost is an issue, the UNI Air Filter- P/N: NU-2303 is always another good, easy option.

Old April 12th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #25
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I know S&H is a b****. If cost is an issue, the UNI Air Filter- P/N: NU-2303 is always another good, easy option.
Price is not awful, just got other things I could use those 50.00 for.
Will it be that much more improvement over the stock one I just cleaned.
Not to brag, but it looks like it came right off the production line!

Old April 12th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #26
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
....Will it be that much more improvement over the stock one I just cleaned?
Yes & no. You won't want or need another filter once you get one, but you'll never miss what you never had.

Last futzed with by DaBlue1; April 12th, 2014 at 06:41 PM.

Old April 12th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #27
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes & no. You won't want or need another filter once you get on, but you'll never miss what you never had.
This!!!

I desperately need to get an alarm on this thing and need those 50.00 plus for one. But believe me, next pay period it "WILL" be ordered lol

For right now I'm really liking what i got. This lastgas tank gave me 220ish miles!

Old April 12th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #28
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
....I desperately need to get an alarm on this thing and need those 50.00 plus for one.
I understand. Security and safety first.