ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old April 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #1
itsmeanuj
ninjette.org member

Name: Anuj

Motorcycle(s): '08 250r!

Woot! I can't sleep just thinking about it haha

So my sister approached me asking me if I wanted to buy a bike. I said which kind and who is selling it? She said my friend Neil asked me and the bike is a Ninja 250. I said, oh, it's probably too much for me right now so I wasn't very interested. She is like I can find out the price. I told her to find out the year and miles too because I really want an 08+. So she texts her friend back. Turns out, it's his friend's bike and he had to find out the specs. Also, he had to fix the title at the dmv because they had the year wrong.

I'm like okay.. now it's sounding sketchy. I stopped caring. My sister vouches for her friend saying he's not that kind of person to screw someone over and the owner is a teacher.

He texts my sister back. '08 700 miles black. And he quotes a price that is so good that I won't even haggle with. I do not want to post it here but I will say, it's pregen pricing.

So I get in touch with the owner and he sounds nice over the phone. He sends me pictures, the bike looks fine. It was never dropped. Also, it has less miles than what my sister's friend said. Only 596. I'm still a little skeptical but I will be bringing my friend who rides so he will just make sure the bike is okay. I'm sure it is anyway...

Anyway, I can't stop thinking about it. I want it in my garage already!

I have a one-car garage and my Honda S2000 sleeps in there. I don't know what to do. Guess a little spring cleaning to make a lot more room is in order.

Hopefully I have the bike in my possession by mid next week!

Also, I do have a question and if anyone knows the answer, I would appreciate if you can answer it for me. I will not be registering the bike until after taking the MSF course which I haven't signed up for yet (I'll get on that!). However, for my ease of mind, I would like to get the bike transferred into my name. Of course I will have the title in hand but the NJ DMV site states to title a motorcycle, I will need proof of insurance. I will not have that just yet... I do not want to pay insurance on something I will not be riding. Is there a way around this or is the dmv site misleading? Here is their link: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Motorcycles.htm

Thank you for your help!

-Anuj
itsmeanuj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

itsmeanuj! Glad you found us...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #3
itsmeanuj
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
itsmeanuj! Glad you found us...
Thank you. Me too! I have been lurking and reading the faq in my spare time. So much information to absorb still!

Old April 15th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

welcome I'm from NJ as well, I had to have proof of insurance when i transfered title/register bike in my name... pretty sure there isn't a way around it.
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #6
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

Well, in California you have ten days from the date of the bill of sale to complete the change of ownership and the original owner has five days to submit their non-liabilty paperwork. I will not advise you to do anything illegal or untruthful, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what the DMV requires you to do in NJ and then make the appropriate plans to deal with it, especially if you don't plan to ride it until you finish your BRC.

HINT/TIP: Make sure all your paperwork has the same purchase/sell date and amount.

Old April 15th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #7
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Welcome to the forum
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #8
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

vnranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #9
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Enjoy! Hope you get the registration stuff worked out. That seems kind of silly to require insurance to sell a bike and change the registration. Do you have to register it until you are ready to ride? I mean, what if you were buying it as a race bike that never touched the street?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #11
itsmeanuj
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMOCAN View Post
Well, in California you have ten days from the date of the bill of sale to complete the change of ownership and the original owner has five days to submit their non-liabilty paperwork. I will not advise you to do anything illegal or untruthful, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what the DMV requires you to do in NJ and then make the appropriate plans to deal with it, especially if you don't plan to ride it until you finish your BRC.

HINT/TIP: Make sure all your paperwork has the same purchase/sell date and amount.
Wink Wink Got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Welcome to the forum
Hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnranger View Post
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Enjoy! Hope you get the registration stuff worked out. That seems kind of silly to require insurance to sell a bike and change the registration. Do you have to register it until you are ready to ride? I mean, what if you were buying it as a race bike that never touched the street?
Thank you! Maybe I'll use this scenario should they give me a hard time.

Old April 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #12
itsmeanuj
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted139 View Post
welcome I'm from NJ as well, I had to have proof of insurance when i transfered title/register bike in my name... pretty sure there isn't a way around it.
Hey! That's actually where I am headed to pick up the bike. I live up North off 153 on GSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
Hi

Old April 16th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #13
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Thats right around where I go to school (Hoboken). Good luck with the bike!
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #14
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Welcome

slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #15
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #16
itsmeanuj
ninjette.org member

thank you!!!

picked it up today.. friend rode it home... crazy story later

Old April 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #17
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

Good deal!

Old April 18th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeanuj View Post
thank you!!!

picked it up today.. friend rode it home... crazy story later
Uh oh. I don't like the look of that smiley.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #19
itsmeanuj
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Uh oh. I don't like the look of that smiley.
My friend who came down with me to pick up the bike (I have 0 minutes of motorcycle riding experience) so he can ride it home for me. It was roughly 25 miles or so. That went flawless. The seller was a great guy and the bike reall looks brand new. It's flawless. Afterall, only 5xx miles on the bike.

Anyway, we get back to my house. Put it in the garage and then go to his place. He gets a call to go to his cousins place which is actually near my house. So he says want to cruise together? I oblige. I'm in my convertible and he is in his GSXR.

His garage to my neighborhood is seriously 3 miles of local roads. It's a straight road as well with several traffic lights. So we are less than a mile away and at a red light on a 4 lane road (2 in each direction). Both of us are the first vehicles in our respective lane. Me in the right, him in the left. We're talking and then he starts blowing his horn and yelling. A car is coming straight at home at 5-10mph! Almost hits him straight on! He ended up dropping the bike but was not injured. His mirror broke and his fairing is all scratched up.

The driver looked dazed and did not stop. He did not even know what happened most likely. I got the plate number and called 911 to get this character off the road before he hurts someone. I told my friend to write down his plate number as I read it to him 4 times. So I am explaining the story to the cops, I ask for the plate but he never wrote it down! ahh.. I did remember most of it but cops cant look it up.

The driver was very elderly in an old 70s/80s car? I am happy my friend is uninjured but is this what I have to look forward to? Kind of upsetting and makes me just want to stay in my 'cage'

Old April 21st, 2011, 06:00 AM   #20
itsmeanuj
ninjette.org member

So I am able to title the motorcycle without reg/ins. The website is just a little misleading. Thank you everyone for the welcome and help.

However, I ended up registering/insuring the bike anyway after riding it around my neighborhood. It was just too much fun! ... now to sign up for that MSF course.