ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 6th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #1
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Angry WTF...almost killed

I was on I287 South heading to work. I was in the left lane cruising @ 75-80 mph. I was riding with 1 hand with my left forearm resting on the tank. Some focker in his 50s or 60s decided to change lane and squeezed me into the shoulder. He was driving a Santa Fe. I was right by his side. He didn't even signal or anything. Thank god I reacted quick and put my left hand back on the handle bar and had the bike under control. It all happened so fast I am still in shock. I have an M4 slip on. How the heck did he not hear me.....

tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
I have an M4 slip on. How the heck did he not hear me.....
Might want to post this up in related threads where people are so sure a loud pipe = safety device.

Glad you're OK and realized what was happening in time. Has happened to me once before, very similar situation.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Mac
ninjette.org member

Name: Mac

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

wow glad to hear you're alright man. Thats scary for sure
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Mostly a lound pipe can be better heard behind you not next to or in front of you but it also depends on how loud his music was, how deaf he was ect. Loud pipes don't save lives better drivers do.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #5
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Loud pipes don't save lives better drivers do.
+1.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Sadly, it happened to me almost daily in Newnan, GA. It's only happened to me once in my 11,000 miles I've spent in SoCal, which I attribute to their having much higher awareness due to having many more motorcycles. Also, that one time was a driver making an emergency lane change himself! FWIW, I instinctively pull the opposite handlebar as often as I push the one that will turn me, so I wouldn't have needed my left hand on the bars for an emergency swerve. It might be good to practice this, though it it always better to have both hands up in a situation like that.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

LOL this happens to me daily. I've stopped caring.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #8
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

Did you pass him and give him a good, long stare?
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #9
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Glad you're ok!
I hate riding beside cars and try to limit my side-by-side time, but obviously, it can't be avoided altogether.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

You shouldnt ever assume you are seen or heard... everyones out to kill you...
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Might want to post this up in related threads where people are so sure a loud pipe = safety device.
Yes, that is me. lol I guess point has been made and proven.

Glad you're ok though.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #12
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Same kind of thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, albeit I had no shoulder to go into only a curb which would equal me getting tossed off if I was forced to side swipe it(I was like right next to him and almost passing by, old bast. as well). Yeah, I learned from that you can't assume people notice/hear you even when you are blowing your horn, or revving your engine, etc. I just my horn now as a test of whether someone is an asshole or not so I know whether they respect me or if I must do something to get away from them. Glad you are okay though...

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Someone once told me that the only people who notice motorcycle exhausts are motorcyclists. Everyone else just thinks it's another loud vehicle, and dismisses it's relevance. I can see how this would be an example of that.

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
Same kind of thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, albeit I had no shoulder to go into only a curb which would equal me getting tossed off if I was forced to side swipe it(I was like right next to him and almost passing by, old bast. as well). Yeah, I learned from that you can't assume people notice/hear you even when you are blowing your horn, or revving your engine, etc. I just my horn now as a test of whether someone is an asshole or not so I know whether they respect me or if I must do something to get away from them. Glad you are okay though...
In the worst GA incident, the driver did not hear my horn during the incident nor did they hear it multiple other times for many miles (honked every time they changed lanes without blinkers and they finally responded on one such lane-change once they heard me many miles later). When trying to get the attention of any car with decent noise isolation, the stock horn is almost useless unless their window is down.

Last futzed with by CZroe; August 6th, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

All part of the game when you throw your leg over the bike.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #16
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggen View Post
Did you pass him and give him a good, long stare?
I pulled back out and followed him to get a good read of his plate.
There's always a trooper on that route and for sure there was one 5 miles ahead. I was going to pull over to give the officer the plate # and a brief report. I didn't cuz I figured it would only be a waste of time.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #17
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
In the worst GA incident, the driver did not hear my horn during the incident nor did they hear it multiple other times for many miles (honked every time they changed lanes without blinkers and they finally responded on one such lane-change once they heard me many miles later). When trying to get the attention of any car with decent noise isolation, the stock horn is almost useless their window is down.
Yeah I'm gonna take the horn off my Mom's truck(jk I'll buy one like it...maybe) and put it on the bike its a real attention getter lol. I learned that you can never assume they hear you ever, ride the bike like the ninja it is.
@OP I wanted to report my situation too... I didn't get a chance to get his plate because he ran off as quick as he could (cut off two more people coming the opposite way), but then I felt the cops wouldn't do anything to the driver unless I was tasting the ground and my bike was destroyed.

Old August 6th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #18
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

you're right, cops wouldn't do anything to the guy, but its always good to tell a cop when you can. They can at least pull the bastard over and give him an earful so he learns. it may be a waste of YOUR time, but it may save another bikers life elsewhere if we have one more person out there keep an eye out for bikers.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #19
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
you're right, cops wouldn't do anything to the guy, but its always good to tell a cop when you can. They can at least pull the bastard over and give him an earful so he learns. it may be a waste of YOUR time, but it may save another bikers life elsewhere if we have one more person out there keep an eye out for bikers.
True, It is good to at least try which I really wanted to do...but he ran like a coward

Old August 6th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #20
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Glad you were paying attention and not zoned-out. You are the most important safety device on your motorcycle.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #21
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I had the imprint of my right knee pressed into my gas tank by some moron who came up behind me and pushed me into the gutter. If I hadn't picked the one correct line between 2 light poles after being hit I would be dead by now.
His excuse to the cops? "I didn't know I wanted to go left until the last second." That's an excuse?
I wouldn't let them take me to the hospital (nothing but bruises) until the cop on the scene cited the guy for impropper passing at the least.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #22
macco568
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Diego

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Yep, its the baggage that comes with motorcycle riding. It will piss you off everytime someone does it to you. I dont think there is a getting used to idiot drivers.

Just wait til' your at a stop light with him or her knock on their window and give them a piece of your mind.

Stay safe.
macco568 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #23
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
All part of the game when you throw your leg over the bike.
Ditto........ thats the chance when you take this up as a sport/hobby. Do it or lose it.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #24
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I had the imprint of my right knee pressed into my gas tank by some moron who came up behind me and pushed me into the gutter. If I hadn't picked the one correct line between 2 light poles after being hit I would be dead by now.
His excuse to the cops? "I didn't know I wanted to go left until the last second." That's an excuse?
I wouldn't let them take me to the hospital (nothing but bruises) until the cop on the scene cited the guy for impropper passing at the least.
Wayne, don't tell me that beautiful bike is trashed!

You can heal but the bike can't be replaced.

Hope you're OK.

You know riding motorcycles can be dangerous.

Old August 8th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #25
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Got run onto the shoulder on the highway by a lady talking on her cell phone. She had NO Idea I was next to her until I kicked the drivers door of her mini-van. The thump on the door woke her up. I admired the dent and black mark my motocross riding boots made on her door. I tapped the brake and followed her for a couple miles and took my exit. I pulled into the gas station splashed in some fuel, moved my bike over to a shade tree on the edge of the lot and lit up a smoke. When I was almost ready to ride again the very same lady pulled right up next to me and apologized. She was honest enough to tell me that the conversation she was having was really unimportant and promised she would be more alert from now on. I kinda felt bad about the dent because she took the time to circle back, look for me, apologize, and even tell me that her call was unimportant. I pointed the dent out to her and said im sorry but I was angry when I did it. She said she already knew about the dent and that it was her husband on the phone and he was preaching to her about killing someone while she was telling him stuff he already knew. Turns out he rides a harley and is always complaining about cell phone yacking idiots almost killing him. HE told her to circle back and look for me and give me the apology I deserve.
Go figure
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #26
Chubbs032
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Knock a side mirror?
Chubbs032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #27
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

+1 for loud pipes don't save lives, and I have one of the loudest with the growler, people still don't know your there.

I've had it happen too. the best thing I can say is I never NEVER ride next to somone unless its another bike. People never seem to notice that somone is next to them.

Old August 8th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #28
Miss Informed
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Angie

Motorcycle(s): ninja twofiddy

I've had people staring right at me as they change into my lane. I know it's CA and we can share, but that's at MY discretion, not yours.
Miss Informed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #29
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

I just avoid sitting in car drivers blind spot as I know that people don't check them half as much as they should if at all. Also on Motorways, I move to the side of the lane that will make me most visible to people who might want to move into my lane.

I know driving a car that car drivers are looking in the mirrors to see the side of another car, so I try put my headlight where the headlight from one side of a car would appear in their mirror. Sometimes that means being in the left lane but staying as far right as is possible in the lane.

We don't do MSF outside the US, we have our own tests and such, but I do believe blind spots are covered in the MSF material? Maybe someone else can confirm that, if it is it might be worth revisiting that material