ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 19th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #1
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Name: Breh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Front Sprocket Stuck On Driveshaft

I've tried pulling the thing as hard as I could and it just won't budge. Seems really in there. I tried spraying some WD40, nothing. I've got the bolt and washer off and it's just really stuck in there. Wasn't expecting that, anyone got any suggestions on how to get it out?
z0sum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #2
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Light tap with hammer.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #3
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Both bolts and the three-holed diamond shaped bracket thingie have been removed?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #4
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
Light tap with hammer.
Tried this. It didn't seem to help. I've also read that it could damage the shaft so I stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Both bolts and the three-holed diamond shaped bracket thingie have been removed?
There's only one bolt and a washer holding the front countershaft sprocket to my knowledge and those have been removed. I ended up ripping the front part of that rubber cover thing in my attempt to pull it off. It's really stuck on there.

Old February 19th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:46 AM   #6
AoA J0ker
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250

The picture above that motofool has posted is a gear or pulley puller it is the way. Most major parts houses i.e AutoZone, advance etc. Will allow you to barrow this for next to nothing. And they give your deposit back up in return of the tool.. also do not use wd-40 around your chain or hearing. That stuff is more solvent than lubricant. Their are other penetrating oils that aren't harsh. I think on blaster is one of them and In my opinion I feel it works better. If that down at work theirs always the good ol Stick a rag in the gas tank and light it technique. That will defiantly get it loose

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 20th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #7
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

I get the first and the last one, but how would a power drill help?

Old February 20th, 2017, 01:39 PM   #8
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

thats a heat gun
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
1 2x4 to stick between the wheel spokes and swingarm
1 24'' or greater breaker bar with the proper size socket
1 helper to hold the bike steady

Nut comes off like melted butter
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #10
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
thats a heat gun
Oh okay, haha. Well that's how little I know.

Old February 20th, 2017, 03:05 PM   #11
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
1 2x4 to stick between the wheel spokes and swingarm
1 24'' or greater breaker bar with the proper size socket
1 helper to hold the bike steady

Nut comes off like melted butter
The nut is not the problem, that's been taken off along with the washer. The problem is that it's still stuck even after. There's nothing holding it on, it's just stuck on there from what seems to be... rust?

Old February 20th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #12
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
penetrating oil and a light tap from a mallet.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2017, 05:30 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0sum View Post
The nut is not the problem, that's been taken off along with the washer. The problem is that it's still stuck even after. There's nothing holding it on, it's just stuck on there from what seems to be... rust?
Ah.... Cool

Heat will mostly help in breaking down the corrosion on the threads or the existence of thread lock. Any red or blue residue on the shaft? That alone could explain your troubles.

PB blaster overnight, spray a few times before going to bed. When your read in the AM, use the same socket that you used to remove the large nut, place over shaft and "gently persuade" the sprocket loose on the shafter with a hammer.

Old February 20th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #14
AoA J0ker
ninjette.org member

Dude go get a puller. No offense brethren commentators but I do this for a living. There is no lock-tire on the output shaft ( hear in the middle of your chain sprocket.) When you get a puller be sure to get the socket driven kind. The T Handel sux

Old February 20th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #15
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoA J0ker View Post
Dude go get a puller. No offense brethren commentators but I do this for a living. There is no lock-tire on the output shaft ( hear in the middle of your chain sprocket.) When you get a puller be sure to get the socket driven kind. The T Handel sux
Where could I get one?

Old February 20th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #16
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Harbor Freight.

Old February 20th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Autozone, home depot or anyplace else that rents tools should have a claw puller.

And... people do stupid crap to bikes, unless your bike was purchased new, then there could be ANYTHING holding your front sprocket on. In fact... MY own bike has it WELDED to the shaft.

Any chance you can post a pic?

Old February 20th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #18
AoA J0ker
ninjette.org member

Most major auto part stores have loan a tool crap that you can barrow. Be like hey man I need something to grab a gear and pull it off and stuff. And that dude ( or dudete) is gonna be like " oh right how bout this pully puller?" And your gonna be like " RAD but hey man this kind sucks, cuz it has the T Handel." And who ever the he'll your talking to is gonna be like " that's all we got yo." And........ do you understand where this is going. Do I really need to exaggerate my point any further. Good day

Old February 21st, 2017, 02:19 PM   #19
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Autozone, home depot or anyplace else that rents tools should have a claw puller.

And... people do stupid crap to bikes, unless your bike was purchased new, then there could be ANYTHING holding your front sprocket on. In fact... MY own bike has it WELDED to the shaft.

Any chance you can post a pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoA J0ker View Post
Most major auto part stores have loan a tool crap that you can barrow. Be like hey man I need something to grab a gear and pull it off and stuff. And that dude ( or dudete) is gonna be like " oh right how bout this pully puller?" And your gonna be like " RAD but hey man this kind sucks, cuz it has the T Handel." And who ever the he'll your talking to is gonna be like " that's all we got yo." And........ do you understand where this is going. Do I really need to exaggerate my point any further. Good day
So will the T handle one still work?

Old February 21st, 2017, 03:12 PM   #20
AoA J0ker
ninjette.org member

Yes sir

Old February 21st, 2017, 04:54 PM   #21
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Heat, hammer, puller.

Old February 21st, 2017, 04:57 PM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

^^^ this

Dang... that thang is more froze up harder than woodpecker lips.

Old February 21st, 2017, 05:57 PM   #23
z0sum
ninjette.org member

I don't have a heat gun... how important is the heat part?

I called up AutoZone, basically their loan system is you buy the tool and return it....

Thing is, the tool seems like it might have a problem. What I found was sort of this.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-3-j...2&blockType=G2

It looks like there's that screw in the middle that requires a flat surface to push on, where the shaft would be. The shaft has a hole, wouldn't that screw just go through the hole and have nothing to push on?

Old February 21st, 2017, 06:10 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Is there an ART's rental near you? They offer true rental vs buy and repay later. The real deal is if you can get it rented and returned quick enough the hold on your card is only 24 hours and then canceled out.

Actually, the puller you linked is one of the better ones. NOT a t-handle, which means you can put a socket on it and put as much force as your socket will allow.

I know you are young and new to things. I applaud you for going the extra mile to ensure your start is a success. This is but one step of many.

Keep it up and you will have a great riding career!

Last futzed with by csmith12; February 21st, 2017 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Old February 21st, 2017, 06:14 PM   #25
pantera
ninjette.org member

Name: Brion

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom / 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Have you tried just tapping all around the sprocket?It should loosen right up.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2017, 06:14 PM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I forgot to answer your direct question, Is the heat required, not really... it kinda falls in the column of work smarter not harder. You might as well get used to it now out of the gate, your gunna have to trust your gut on matters such as these. So goes the life of riding.

Get a puller and combine your information to make it as easy as possible. ie... that is gunna need some soaking in penetrating oil to break lose without much fuss.

Old February 21st, 2017, 07:32 PM   #27
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
Have you tried just tapping all around the sprocket?It should loosen right up.
Yea man it's really on there. I don't think just banging it off will work. It's ridiculous how stuck on there this thing is, even after removing a bolt that holds it... it doesn't seem like it even needed the bolt.

Quote:
Is there an ART's rental near you? They offer true rental vs buy and repay later. The real deal is if you can get it rented and returned quick enough the hold on your card is only 24 hours and then canceled out.

Actually, the puller you linked is one of the better ones. NOT a t-handle, which means you can put a socket on it and put as much force as your socket will allow.

I know you are young and new to things. I applaud you for going the extra mile to ensure your start is a success. This is but one step of many.

Keep it up and you will have a great riding career!
Thanks, yea, I'm sort of new to all this. But this forum and ones like it are very helpful.

Quote:
I forgot to answer your direct question, Is the heat required, not really... it kinda falls in the column of work smarter not harder. You might as well get used to it now out of the gate, your gunna have to trust your gut on matters such as these. So goes the life of riding.

Get a puller and combine your information to make it as easy as possible. ie... that is gunna need some soaking in penetrating oil to break lose without much fuss.
Okay but the center shaft issue. Are you seeing how when you turn that socket, there has to be something for it to push on, and the drive shaft seems like it's hollow, there's a hole in the middle of the shaft where that screw thing wants to push down. I don't mind the AutoZone "loan" thing as long as the tool will do the job.

Old February 21st, 2017, 07:40 PM   #28
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

If you can get what you linked from autozone, then there shouldn't be much issue as "you can get a good bite on the sprocket." This is one of those cases where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Take you time, trust what you see, feel and go from there.

Honestly.... we can only do so much via the inets... But they, I don't have the big head. Maybe someone sees something that I don't.

Either way, if there is a friend or someone that can help you, don't hesitate to pull that trigger. Worse case, you seem silly, best case you got one less worry and made a friend along the way.

Edit: Crap... going back to one of my previous posts... you will need a short 2x4 to put between the wheel spokes and swingarm. Take your time and figure it out so you don't cause damage. It's really a piece of cake. You got the nut off already, the hard part is already done. If you get a puller, this is far less of a requirement.

Old February 21st, 2017, 09:59 PM   #29
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

if the screw goes in the hole, just cover the hole with something, a piece of metal, or maybe a socket, something for it to push against.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2017, 10:05 PM   #30
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Got it off! Thanks for all the help, guys. What worked was the puller I got from AutoZone. I let the screw just go in the hole hoping it'd eventually hit something, it did and it pulled the sprocket off.

Old February 21st, 2017, 11:35 PM   #31
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Winning
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2017, 02:11 AM   #32
Swann
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Feedback from this side of the planet:

The nut for the front sprocket for the N250, N300, N650, N1000, Z1000 and ZX10 are all difficult to remove. It's like they're spot welded on. The dealer's shop even asked me not to bring it to them when I want to change the front sprocket.

The best way to remove it manually is to use a 6 foot lever. A buddy uses a Pneumatic impact gun with 800lbs.of breakaway torque. He says it works like a charm.
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2017, 06:30 AM   #33
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:22 AM   #34
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Angry

Remember to keep the washer, you need it for the reinstall. Also strange thickness of the sprocket, on mine the washer is just flush with the end of the splines. Entirely different generation though.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2017, 02:56 PM   #35
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0sum View Post
Got it off! Thanks for all the help, guys. What worked was the puller I got from AutoZone. I let the screw just go in the hole hoping it'd eventually hit something, it did and it pulled the sprocket off.

Clean the shaft and its splines very well with a wire brush before installing the new sprocket.
For tightening the nut, you can use the same idea given by Chris in post #9 above.

Last futzed with by Motofool; February 22nd, 2017 at 07:42 PM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:00 PM   #36
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Very good. We were about out of useful information anyway.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:04 PM   #37
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

hahahahahahah