ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 4th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #1
tsdexter
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R - Kawi Green

Bought new 2013 ZX-6R...steering dampener?

Just bought a new in box 2013 ZX-6R ABS... Should I opt for the $500-700 steering dampener? Is it really that unsafe (for a super sport newb) without one if I'm not lifting the front tire all the time?
tsdexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Edit: Should you spring for it? Maybe, depends on the deal? If I were financing it, then I would strongly consider it. Otherwise... Simply.... no.

Your money is better spent on gear, insurance, training and tires. In just about that order.

Enjoy the bike
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #3
tsdexter
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R - Kawi Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Simply.... no.

Your money is better spent on gear, insurance, training and tires. In just about that order.

Enjoy the bike
Thanks, I'm sure I will, though it's looking like I won't be able to ride it for at least another month.

I have gear, insurance, tires and basic training. Wish this was a well priced supersport training around here.

So what should I be looking out for that a dampener would correct/avoid? And how do I correct/avoid it myself?
tsdexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdexter View Post
Just bought a new in box 2013 ZX-6R ABS... Should I opt for the $500-700 steering dampener? Is it really that unsafe (for a super sport newb) without one if I'm not lifting the front tire all the time?
things don't happen when you are riding how you intend to. its when some **** bag does something unexpected, and you have to do something unexpected, and you do things you aren't supposed to, like going from WOT and having a car step infront of you and you try to turn and its like popping the wheel up while you were pitching the bike and then chop the gas cause you didn't expect the wheel to come up and you're trying to avoid the car and so the wheel comes down crooked and now instead of going around the car like you intended to do, you tank slap into the side of it

Old March 4th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'd get one for any SS that is ridden more aggressively than a weekly trip to Starbucks. They are mandated by most racing orgs for a reason. Even at non-racing speeds, the front end geometry on a SS bike is a compromise between stability and agility. Land a mini (or unintended) wheelie wrong, or hit a strange bump in the road that knocks the wheel into an oscillation, and you'll wish there were a damper installed. A few years back I had an R6, also without a stock damper. Only rode it for a short while before accelerating on a bumpy road, and having the bars start to go lock-to-lock almost instantly. Was able to recover, as the road was fortunately straight enough to allow for that recovery time; but spent the $ on an appropriate damper directly afterwards.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 4th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you could probably retrofit a cheap gsxr bar damper onto it

Old March 4th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sorry, note my edit above about 5 mins ago.

Steering dampers are to minimize head shake and tank slappers. Slappers can be caused by a few things but the main ones are;

Putting the front wheel down while misaligned with the rear wheel
Bumpy pavement
And sometimes, when light reflects off venus through some swamp gas and then shines on your bike, a slapper will happen. lol JK on that one but sometimes, it's very hard or impossible to determine the cause.

What can you do to avoid them? Avoid the bumps as safely as you can, potholes suck and stay loose on the bars. Keep the front wheel on the pavement... lol

I have ridden an r6 without a damper on the track for the past 3 years and had all kinds of head shake and mild slappers. Some call me loco, maybe I am. I have found that all kinds of things might calm it down but I basically throw it all into one bucket. "Take control by doing nothing." Basically what I mean is, don't stop what your doing to fight the bike. If you're accelerating, then keep on the throttle, if your braking... then keep on the brakes. Stay focused on the task at hand and most of the time the bike works itself out given enough time and space.

Bonus Info: The bike will still turn during a mild tank slapper event. It's just everything the rider is seeing and feeling will lie and say your out of control.

In time, if you feel you need one, then a used/aftermarket could be purchased, most of the time for around 3 big faces for a nice scotts or ohlins.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
that venusian swamp gas is deadly yo

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #10
dailowill
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

If you decide to go with Ohlins, opt for model SD 042 vs the one Kawasaki sells. You can read more about it here: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...ng_damper_mod/
dailowill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #11
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I believe from your post this will be your first super sport bike. I would highly recommend the stabilizer. You will have enough to get adjusted to with just the raw power and acceleration. I am not saying you will loose control but do you even want to risk it on a new in the box SS bike? I do think the cost is a bit high but get one if you can. I see it like insurance, waste of money if you don't use it but could really save your A@@ if you do need it, which is a definite possibility since that new ride has the power to out ride your skill set!

Great bike post some pic and let us know what you decided to do!!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #12
Ptdoughnut
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mason

Motorcycle(s): 12 250r (sold), 2014 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdexter View Post
Actually if you look over at the ZX6R.com forums hardracing offers a special price for a better updated version of the damper. As long as you don't speed excessively and wheelie you really shouldn't need it.

Old March 6th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #13
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

PTdoughnut had a good suggestion on looking on the forums but I don't agree with him saying you wont need it. Think about it like Anti-lock brakes. You don't need them till you need them. The damper is a safety device and you wont even know if it works if it is installed but if its not there then you will see if you need one. The only problem with that is you may need a new bike if you realize you should have had one. You need to decide if it is worth the cost vs risk which is a decision we all make. I would recommend if you can afford one, either from the dealer or after market, then get one if not then be careful while learning your new bike, ride safe and post lots of pics and videos.

Just FYI I do not have a steering damper on the NINJA or my SV but I do have one on my Ducati because it lifts the wheel under acceleration and even a small bump in the road will cause the front tire to lift if you are on the throttle so there are many chances for the front to get wobbly.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
If you decide to go with Ohlins, opt for model SD 042 vs the one Kawasaki sells. You can read more about it here: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...ng_damper_mod/
Yeah the oem version is over priced under damped. I haven't ridden my 636 yet. Don't even have it home yet but on my cbr the elec damper was great. Crest a hill under acceleration, front gets light, and at the least little hint of shake is stopped. I am curious as to how the 636 will feel. With all the rider aids on that bike no damper seems odd.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptdoughnut View Post
Actually if you look over at the ZX6R.com forums hardracing offers a special price for a better updated version of the damper. As long as you don't speed excessively and wheelie you really shouldn't need it.
Yeah another good alternative to the oem.

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Another option.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...zx-6r-636-2013

Old March 6th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #17
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Get the dampener...

Old March 7th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #18
azn370z
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

I don't think it's necessary but it doesn't hurt to have one. Almost all of my riding is spirited. I've taken the bike up to rather high speeds and it feels stable. You have to remember to keep a loose grip or you will feel it shake at high speeds. Traction control will prevent the bike from wheeling when you accelerate very quickly so you shouldn't feel it shake. Good choice on the new bike.
azn370z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #19
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Even Harleys and 250s crash from slappers... buy one.

Old March 11th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...says the kid who's never ridden either.

Old March 11th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #21
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I never had any problems on my F4i with slappers or head shake at all, not after smashing wheelies down hard like an idiot, or doing triple digit wheelies in 3rd gear after cresting a particularly steep hill at the track, etc.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #22
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Why would you like to make the steering more wet?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
Why would you like to make the steering more wet?
that's what she said

Old March 12th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #24
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
...says the kid who's never ridden either.
yet again chris being an @$$...

Go research, and you'll see that 250's and Harley's do in fact crash from tank slappers...

Old March 12th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #25
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
yet again chris being an @$$...

Go research, and you'll see that 250's and Harley's do in fact crash from tank slappers...
Go ride them. You'll see just how on frequently that happens. Cost vs need. Some bikes it's a priority. Some bikes it's just a safety net. They're not uber necessary on those bikes.

The buell (Harley, sort of) and Harley I've ridden had no headshake tendencies to the point I would consider a damper a necessity. Sure it's probably a good thing to have. But not super important in my mind.

And the ninjette. Meh. Mine gets a little squirrly under track braking. Never given me shake on the street I didn't induce through my riding. Even then, it stabilized immediately. Not worth a damper in my eyes.

Call my response being an ass if you will. Whatever. I call it calculated risk and balancing risk vs reward. Dampers are expensive. Dangerous headshake on these bikes, in my experience, is not a likely event. Next thing you'll tell me is that I should drop a few Benjamin's on dampers for my bicycles

Old March 12th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #26
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

Quote:
I call it calculated risk and balancing risk vs reward. Dampers are expensive. Dangerous headshake on these bikes, in my experience, is not a likely event.
You're making me think of my macroeconomics class.. marginal benefit of steering damper compared to marginal cost. Eesh.

Old March 12th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #27
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Haha. Every time you modify your bike, it's a cost vs reward thing.

That said, I'd go for a damper in a heart beat if dangerous slappers or frequent head shake was an issue. But I think for the 250, they've not shown themselves to be easily prone to shake. Unless I were racing or I always had a peculiar shaking issue due to a bike rack or luggage rack (like rojoracing53) I wouldn't worry too much about a damper for a 250.

They do look cool and are totally necessary on other bikes though.

Old March 12th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #28
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

Quote:
That said, I'd go for a damper in a heart beat if dangerous slappers or frequent head shake was an issue. But I think for the 250, they've not shown themselves to be easily prone to shake. Unless I were racing or I always had a peculiar shaking issue due to a bike rack or luggage rack (like rojoracing53) I wouldn't worry too much about a damper for a 250.
For a 250 I think it depends on the bike behavior itself as they all have unique attitudes. The original thought was about getting a damper for the 636 though.