ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #1
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Another "What bike is for me?" thread

I officially got the green light on a new bike. My wife also has expressed an interest in riding pillion. So I would guess any SS bike is out. I really want something with more power; and enough that will keep me satisfied for years to come. I typically only ride for 30 minutes at a time, but I may occasionally ride for an hour or two. The bike would have to be sporty and good around town. I would most likely purchase the bike towards the end of this riding season, giving me another seasons worth of experience (bringing the total to about 2.5) and it would help get the prices down. Finally, I've been granted with a $5000 budget.

I really like the Fz8. It seems like it would be great around town, not to mention enough power for the wife and I. The only issue is they are so new, they're hard to find, and they seem to go for about $6000. That led me to looking at a Fz1, but those seem like they would be way too much for someone with about two years experience on a 250.

Another thing, I really hate banana (thanks Gwen Stefani for the spelling help) seats.

So what would y'all do in my situation?
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
So I would guess any SS bike is out
I take it you mean BMW's?
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #3
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

I meant supersport (GSXR, ZX, CBR, YZF, ect..)

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think the FZ1 and FZ8 are both good choices for short to medium duty 2-up fun.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #5
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

The whole 150HP thing honestly scares me. And I can't find a single Fz8 around $5000.

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The throttle only does what is asked. I think it's closer to 120 hp at the rear wheel, so it's not quite as uber-powered as its ss literbike cousins.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
The whole 150HP thing honestly scares me. And I can't find a single Fz8 around $5000.
No need to be scared of horsepower...Just control your throttle hand.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #8
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Thats pretty much what I've been thinking. But I always see people saying "A bike that is X big must only be ridden when you have X amount of experience". I feel like a good amount of fear will help me become acclimated to a crap load of power. With that being said, I would be afraid of looping the daggum thing any time I get it out of first.

Last futzed with by THE BIG SITT; April 10th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #9
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

How ridiculous would it be to get a bigger bike, and then put on a bigger front/ smaller rear sprocket to help keep the thing a little more tame?

Old April 7th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Wouldn't be ridiculous, but you might find it not to be necessary either. Both the bikes you list are very tractable, evenly powered bikes. The hp curve doesn't ramp up nearly as sharply or harshly as a SS bike. Riding it moderately in higher gears and it's not likely to be a fear-inducing experience based solely on the throttle response. Now both of them do have the power to take the bike to some pretty high speeds if one should choose, but that's not a fault of the bike (or something that sprockets alone would prevent).

Old April 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #11
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Wouldn't be ridiculous, but you might find it not to be necessary either. Both the bikes you list are very tractable, evenly powered bikes. The hp curve doesn't ramp up nearly as sharply or harshly as a SS bike. Riding it moderately in higher gears and it's not likely to be a fear-inducing experience based solely on the throttle response. Now both of them do have the power to take the bike to some pretty high speeds if one should choose, but that's not a fault of the bike (or something that sprockets alone would prevent).
Not to say I don't believe you, but everything I've read about the Fz1 has said that the new gens are "gutless" in the low end. From the sound of things, I really need to just find one to ride myself.

All other things aside, the Fz1 seems like it'd be perfect. Tons of aftermarket, good looks and power, a relatively comfortable pillion with the handles, and they're pretty unique for this area.

Plus, they look fantastic in the Fz1N trim:

tumblr_m48s8i0G9S1qld4a8o1_500.png

Old April 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

My first street bike was a super sport. A friend of mine told me to be super careful when I was going to ride it the first time as if he was positive I was going to wreck it. I hopped on and got it up to 40 mph, turned around and came back...my friend was surprised I knew how to control the bike. If you have self restraint, you can control anything. It's the people that think you need to be 100% throttle or no throttle that get into trouble...That said, after that 40mph I opened it up and experienced the tunnel vision while holding on for my dear life.

All comes down to the operator. I'm sure you'll ride the bike for the first time and realize that it's a lot easier to control a 100+hp engine than you imagine.

Old April 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #13
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Yeah I feel alot of my discomfort comes from reading things online. I have only ridden my bike and my dads VTX1300, so I don't really know what to expect.

Old April 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #14
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

FZ1 and FZ8 are good choices. You could add the FZ6R/S to the list, as well as Suzuki's Bandit/GSX650F, SV650, and Vstrom models, Kawasaki's Ninja 650 and Versys, and Honda's CBR500R/CB500X/CB500F, VFR, and older F4i. Lots of choices. My wife liked the passenger accomodations on my 03 VFR800.

Old April 7th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #15
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMman View Post
FZ1 and FZ8 are good choices. You could add the FZ6R/S to the list, as well as Suzuki's Bandit/GSX650F, SV650, and Vstrom models, Kawasaki's Ninja 650 and Versys, and Honda's CBR500R/CB500X/CB500F, VFR, and older F4i. Lots of choices. My wife liked the passenger accomodations on my 03 VFR800.
Allow me to pick through the list and show you what I don't like about some of those bike, because trust me, I've looked at all of them lol

FZ6- Overall styling. I feel like the main fairings look gigantic. All in all, I just don't like the look.

Bandit- So hard to find around me! A quick CL search netted 2 1200s and 1 650. And they are all in crappy condition

SV650- Love the look, love the idea, hate the sound. One of the main kickers for the Fz1 is the sound! Holy crap, that noise is so good. A twin just doesn't sound as good as a inline 4. Also, I fear I would want to get rid of it in a couple years.

V Storm- I like the look. Its different than the other bikes I've looked at, and I honestly don't know if I'd like that style or not. Also, a search for V Storm on CL netted ZERO results! WTF?!

Ninja 650- Don't like the older ones, and the new ones just didn't fit me that well when sitting on them. Also, @Jiggles didn't have too much good to say about the one he owned for a while.

Versey- U G L Y, you aint got no… you get the point.

CBR500- From what i've read, those are no better, when it comes to HP/weight, than a 300.

VFR- Actually on my list of interested bikes. I'm not a fan of the banana seat, but with a cowl, it looks pretty good. Plus, I think the motor would be perfect for me. Theres really no reason I don't like them other than the fact that there are only two for sale around me.

F4i- I like em, but they're getting hard to find unmolested, and even harder to find without a banana seat.

Good list, sorry for picking through it

Old April 7th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
The 650 is awesome, the only thing I didn't like is how heavy the engine braking is and how off on the throttle is. The 300 is the same way
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #17
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

VFR 800, Hornet 900, Blackbird 1100XX, Bandit 1200, Fazer thou, Triumph speed/street triple or Tiger.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #18
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
The 650 is awesome, the only thing I didn't like is how heavy the engine braking is and how off on the throttle is. The 300 is the same way
Wouldn't a less powerful bike be less "on/off"?

Old April 7th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #19
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Granted, I did go from the 250 to a literbike... but yes, everyone saying that you have to control your throttle hand is correct. You do need some experience with a smaller bike to make the transition reasonably painless.

(I'm not suggesting the bike I'm on because it is way out of your budget, but if your wife is willing to expand your budget, well... it is going for $12,999 new. )
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
No it's still got that either accelerating or decelerating thing, super annoying and makes me use the clutch when I don't want to
AFM #676

Old April 7th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #21
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

What was the cause of that? Is it something impossible to overcome?

Old April 7th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #22
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Well every vehicle I've ever operated with a clutch has done this, Cars + Bikes. I think automatic cars don't really do this so much because they are coded to coast to save gas. You can get around it by giving the bike just enough throttle to stay at its constant speed. I've just gotten used to disengaging the clutch whenever I want to coast to a stop.

Old April 7th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #23
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Thats to do with the # of cylinders not the power.

From choppy to smooth power delivery

Single: KTM ect
Twin: SV, ninja 250, 300, 650
Triple: the Triumphs I mentioned above
I4: most bikes
I6: @Alex's 1600 BMW
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #24
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
You can tune it with a power commander
AFM #676

Old April 7th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #25
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
You can tune it with a power commander
I guess I'm at a loss. Why does the throttle feel so "on/off"? Is it because the throttle isn't completely linear in delivering the power; i.e. 50% throttle equals 75% power? And how does the PC help?

Old April 7th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #26
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

I believe what they are referring to is the tuning of the fuel injection. My 03 VFR800 had terrible on/off throttle response, especially at slow speeds. It made me feel like a noobie at parking lot speeds. It was either nothing or too much. My 03 636 is vastly better, as is my DR-Z400SM (single cylinder). I don't think it has anything to do with the size or configuration of the engines. Its the tuning of the FI or carbs in my opinion.

As for the bikes I mentioned above, good job doing your homework and considering all the ones I listed.

I agree the Versys isn't exactly a "looker" but check out all the rave reviews. It has better suspension than the Ninja 650 and even won Motor Cyclist Magazine's Motorcycle Of The Year in 2008. I'm tempted to pick one up but have been waiting for pricing on the 2014 KTM Duke 390.

I for one love the sound of v-twin sportbikes, especially Honda's RC51. Its always nice to hear all the twins at the track. I agree the inline 4s sound nice but the twins have an added character. I had a full Yoshimura exhaust on my SV650 and liked the bike a lot.

A good friend of mine is selling his 2011 Ninja 650 and looking at the Yamaha Fazer8 and FZ1 because he wants a better 2-up bike. The 2013 Fazer8 has some nice improvements (fully adjustable suspension) and a lower price. Have fun shopping and let us know what you decide to buy.

Old April 7th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I guess I'm at a loss. Why does the throttle feel so "on/off"? Is it because the throttle isn't completely linear in delivering the power; i.e. 50% throttle equals 75% power? And how does the PC help?
Because you can tune it to fit your needs by changing the map.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #28
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Check out the dual exhaust svehs, especially the copper paint/naked. Looks and sounds so good.

Old April 7th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #29
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

I did a little more research, and it appears that the Fz1 has a known issue with a "snatchy" throttle. The fix is relatively cheap and easy, and seems very well known.

What is a svehs? SV1000 I assume?

Old April 7th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #30
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Yea, SV650 or 1000.

Old April 7th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #31
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Nice bikes on your list so far. I'd keep an eye open for used Triumphs, as well. The Sprint ST is a wicked cool bike. 1050 triple engine, really comfy for the pillion, and plenty sporty. The older Tigers are pretty cool too, if you don't mind the adv styling. They're still plenty sporty, and have really nice, mid-range engines. Have you looked for any z1000s, or older ZZR600s? The 1000 might be a *little* peaky for your comfort level, but you sound responsible, so I think you'll have no problem controlling your right hand.

BTW, I'm with you on the sound of the bikes you're looking at. As much as I love it on my ninjette, once I'm on a bigger bike, I really don't like twins. I love the triples, and an I4 is audiosex. This is one of the big attractions of the Fz6/R and FZ8 for me, since they are some of the only non-SS middleweights you can get with an I4.

Good luck, dude! I'm totally jealous. Keep us updated, so we can live vicariously through your purchase.

PS: In response to the Street/Speed Triple suggestion, my wife couldn't hardly stand to ride on my Streety because of those underseat pipes. They roasted her a** and she was constantly terrified of burning herself or melting her boots. Also, they are SUPER hooligan bikes. I had the 675, and the front wheel left the pavement regularly. Get the 1050, and its basically a unicycle!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #32
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Nice bikes on your list so far. I'd keep an eye open for used Triumphs, as well. The Sprint ST is a wicked cool bike. 1050 triple engine, really comfy for the pillion, and plenty sporty. The older Tigers are pretty cool too, if you don't mind the adv styling. They're still plenty sporty, and have really nice, mid-range engines. Have you looked for any z1000s, or older ZZR600s? The 1000 might be a *little* peaky for your comfort level, but you sound responsible, so I think you'll have no problem controlling your right hand.

BTW, I'm with you on the sound of the bikes you're looking at. As much as I love it on my ninjette, once I'm on a bigger bike, I really don't like twins. I love the triples, and an I4 is audiosex. This is one of the big attractions of the Fz6/R and FZ8 for me, since they are some of the only non-SS middleweights you can get with an I4.

Good luck, dude! I'm totally jealous. Keep us updated, so we can live vicariously through your purchase.
I LOVE the styling of the new Z1000s, but they don't fit me too well, and they are just out of the price range used. But that may change in November.

I4 give me ear boners. My wife gets sick of me stopping her mid sentence so I can listen to some squid rev his bike. I don't care, I love the noise!

Old April 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #33
YunMing
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexander

Motorcycle(s): (Sold) 2007 Red Ninja 250r, 2003 Cbr 600 F4i

SV650/1000, CBR600 F4i(maybe), FZ6, Ninja 650, VFR800
YunMing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #34
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...9&postcount=15

Old April 7th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #35
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
1% throttle turn = accelerate. 0% throttle = decelerate and you can never get to 0.5% throttle. This is mostly at slower speeds
AFM #676

Old April 7th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #36
SMman
ninjette.org guru

The 06 FZ1 was criticized for poor fuel mapping and many preferred the previous generation carbed bikes. I believe Yamaha addressed the problem after 06. I have a friend who's owned 3 Z1000s and has been very happy. He's used them on long trips and to the track. A co-worker has a SV1000S and is equally thrilled with the bike.

Old April 9th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #37
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

My girlfriend actually prefers riding on the back of my 636 to the 650. She's crazy.

She said she feels more stable and less like she's always falling into my seat. She said since I'm so far forward, she also doesn't feel like she's pulling me back. Personally, I prefer her on the 636 because she cannot really crowd my seat and smash me into the gas tank. It's a moot point because the modern 650 probably doesn't have that problem since they done away with the banananana seat.

The only major downside is on the 636, she cannot see anything besides my back/helmet. On the 650 she was high enough that she could see over me. I can always go into a tuck position for her to see better, but it's not ideal.

All that said, I'll go against the grain and say not to rule out a SS if you really really want one. Your next bike should be just as much about you as it is her. With your budget though, I think you're best bet is a Ninja 650r.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #38
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

I've heard ZX14 is a great bike for 2up riding, but needs proper throttle control to keep it from taking off.
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #39
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirubhaiambani View Post
I've heard ZX14 is a great bike for 2up riding, but needs proper throttle control to keep it from taking off.
The bold statement is true for pretty much every 'sport' bike.

I can't help but laugh at the comments about 600+cc supersport bikes being 'gutless' in the low end or outside the powerband. Sure, on the track it may seem gutless in the low end, but on the streets doing normal everyday riding it's still a rocketship.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #40
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

That's pretty much what has got me on the FZ1 now. I will have learn throttle control on any bike, why not get something that will meet my current needs and keep me satisfied for years?