ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #161
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Hey Kerry, in your opinion, what do you think the motor can reach with a bit more work? (pistons, head work) think it can hit 50 with the right compression on pump gas? Stock pistons are only 10.5:1 right?

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #162
phrenetiK
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

awesome, the pricing on your 250 exhausts is very reasonable, but how thorough you guys seem with the 300 lead me to believe it might be 1,000+ for the new exhaust. I think your exhaust will be flying off the shelves. Please let me know as soon as a preorder is available
phrenetiK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #163
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Hey Kerry, in your opinion, what do you think the motor can reach with a bit more work? (pistons, head work) think it can hit 50 with the right compression on pump gas? Stock pistons are only 10.5:1 right?
Well naturally aspirated, I don't think so with any remote reliablility....

Compression would be the first place I would personally start if I was going internal mods. Whether that be through higher compression pistons and tighter squish areas, or simply through alternative thickness head gaskets. I would then explore low octane, high oxygen content race fuels with proper mapping.

With the current rev ceiling, I would be cautious about valve size and cam lift/durations/lobe centers. It would take some R&D to determine those results and/or pitfalls that may show up. When you start pumping in those possible improvements, it may start showing lower end stress with the longer stroke motor. So looking at stronger connecting rods and/or crank mods may be necessary. We also would not know what the clutch and related components would endure. It's really one of those things that just takes R&D and blowing up some motors to aquire the data and perameter limits.
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #164
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenetiK View Post
awesome, the pricing on your 250 exhausts is very reasonable, but how thorough you guys seem with the 300 lead me to believe it might be 1,000+ for the new exhaust. I think your exhaust will be flying off the shelves. Please let me know as soon as a preorder is available
Thank you for the comments.

Last futzed with by kbryant; December 10th, 2012 at 11:44 AM.

Old December 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #165
Ryephile
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 :: Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryant View Post
Below are our dyno graphs from our initial R&D tuning sessions.

Run # 3 - Baseline stock run OEM exhaust. Run #56 - Area P Standard Mount System, Standard Muffler. FI Micro Programmer, Snorkel removed. K&N Filter Panel direct replacement. Run #80 -Area P Ultra High Mount System, Fi Micro Programmer, Snorkel removed, K&N Filter Panel direct replacement. Run #90 - Area P Standard System, Long Quiet Muffler, FI Micro Programmer, Snorkel removed, K&N Filter Panel direct replacement. As you can note, all versions of the Area P systems, with proper mapping, have very similiar performance characteristics. Especially noting that the Standard System with Long Quiet Muffler being very quiet as compared, yet offers excellent performance.
The colors aren't the easiest to see, but it looks like the Long Quiet muffler had the most area under the curve, yes?
Ryephile is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #166
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
The colors aren't the easiest to see, but it looks like the Long Quiet muffler had the most area under the curve, yes?
Actually no not correct. The Standard system with Long Quiet Muffler has one of the smoothest overall powerbands. Here's the graph (below) with only those two on them so you can see them easier. Some of the other ones are what we call "pipey", where they hit a little harder and more abruptly (which we like also). As we've noted, further improvements will be had as we continue building our map database for all these systems.

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #167
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

almost hitting 40 with the air box is pretty impressive. can't wait for the results with the pods and tuning.

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #168
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Hi Kerry,

I just want to add my thanks for your helpfulness and thoroughness. One question: have you or any colleagues ridden the bike yet? Although dynos are fun and all, I'm always more interested in what a real rider has to report based on the good ol' 'butt dyno'.

Congratulations on your successes with the bike!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #169
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Hi Kerry,

I just want to add my thanks for your helpfulness and thoroughness. One question: have you or any colleagues ridden the bike yet? Although dynos are fun and all, I'm always more interested in what a real rider has to report based on the good ol' 'butt dyno'.

Congratulations on your successes with the bike!
Thank you. And very fair question. We completely believe in the "butt dyno" as well. Yes, I personally rode with every system. It very much feels like two different bikes. I feel it as low as 4k, but I'm a little more sensitive to that. When it starts to really come up on the powerband especially around 7k, it's easy to feel the difference without the dyno. And it continues building up to 11500 at peak. But even at the soft limiter of 12500, it still feels like it's building because there is so little drop off. That's what we call "over-rev". So for example on the race track, it helps in not having to grab another gear between corners that might unload/unsettle the suspension. You can hold it on longer, because there is less drop off. The stocker drops off significantly at the soft-limiter (more than 2 hp) and it's really noticable (no reason to rev it over 10750, because it's dropping pretty fast). The Area P system only drops off a few tenths at the soft limiter. To me, these increases are definetly more pronounced on small displacement bikes (over large displacement bikes), because starting off with a smaller number, makes those increases easier to "feel" in the "butt dyno". And quite honestly, we can also "feel" them on the Dyno as well.

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #170
Ryephile
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Actually no not correct. The Standard system with Long Quiet Muffler has one of the smoothest overall powerbands. Here's the graph (below) with only those two on them so you can see them easier. Some of the other ones are what we call "pipey", where they hit a little harder and more abruptly (which we like also). As we've noted, further improvements will be had as we continue building our map database for all these systems.

Thanks. It looks like that's the one that has the best gain in the midrange RPM [6-9k], but gives up a little bit vs. your other offerings at the top end.

Any pics of the primary/collector yet, or is that still under wraps? I'm assuming these are all non-catted offerings?

Old December 10th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #171
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Any pics of the primary/collector yet, or is that still under wraps? I'm assuming these are all non-catted offerings?
Yep, all kinds of detail pix. But respectfully no, we're not going to post them. We have far too much into our R&D efforts to do the competition any favors. When we have the production systems available, we'll show them at that time. And no, none of our full systems have cats.

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #172
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
.... I would then explore low octane, high oxygen content race fuels with proper mapping.
Have you done any testing with ethanol free 87 octane on either the 300 or 250? If you have what were the results. I've been running e-free 87 for a while in my 250 and notice a slight difference between that and e-10 87 Octane.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #173
ionized
ninjette.org member

Name: Nunya

Motorcycle(s): 04' Ninja 250, 13' Ninja 300

Quote:
The Standard system with Long Quiet Muffler has one of the smoothest overall powerbands.
Glad to hear and happy to see as I wanted the standard long quiet muffler and I also was hoping for a smooth overall powerband. +4hp gain is not too bad for that setup, and it will be interesting to see if further map and air RnD can bring another HP to it.

My savings account is ready to cough up the $ at any time lol
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #174
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Thank you. And very fair question. We completely believe in the "butt dyno" as well. Yes, I personally rode with every system. It very much feels like two different bikes. I feel it as low as 4k, but I'm a little more sensitive to that. When it starts to really come up on the powerband especially around 7k, it's easy to feel the difference without the dyno. And it continues building up to 11500 at peak. But even at the soft limiter of 12500, it still feels like it's building because there is so little drop off. That's what we call "over-rev". So for example on the race track, it helps in not having to grab another gear between corners that might unload/unsettle the suspension. You can hold it on longer, because there is less drop off. The stocker drops off significantly at the soft-limiter (more than 2 hp) and it's really noticable (no reason to rev it over 10750, because it's dropping pretty fast). The Area P system only drops off a few tenths at the soft limiter. To me, these increases are definetly more pronounced on small displacement bikes (over large displacement bikes), because starting off with a smaller number, makes those increases easier to "feel" in the "butt dyno". And quite honestly, we can also "feel" them on the Dyno as well.
You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #175
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Have you done any testing with ethanol free 87 octane on either the 300 or 250? If you have what were the results. I've been running e-free 87 for a while in my 250 and notice a slight difference between that and e-10 87 Octane.
Not specifically knowing that is ethanol free. Since it's pretty much a given that most of us will have to fill up with a blend of up to 10 %, but not knowing the exact percentage, it would be really impractical to test on street driven vehicles with so many other contributing factors.

Old December 10th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #176
Ryephile
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yep, all kinds of detail pix. But respectfully no, we're not going to post them. We have far too much into our R&D efforts to do the competition any favors. When we have the production systems available, we'll show them at that time. And no, none of our full systems have cats.
Fair enough, I understand. I'll look forward to when these hit the marketplace!

Old December 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #177
diwhiteii
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2013 Ninja 300

Hi Kerry,

One question that I forgot to ask was: Do you have a block-off plate when you ran the Ninja 300 on the dynos?

diwhiteii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #178
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Did you do any dyno runs without doing a remap? Just wondering what the gain is with a stock map
gsxrninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #179
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrninja250 View Post
Did you do any dyno runs without doing a remap? Just wondering what the gain is with a stock map
Checkout post 144 he provides baseline dyno results for each result set.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #180
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwhiteii View Post
Hi Kerry,

One question that I forgot to ask was: Do you have a block-off plate when you ran the Ninja 300 on the dyno
We always pinch-off the Fresh Air tube on any/all bikes we are tuning so as to not get any false A/F readings. So we do not have to install "block-off plates" on every bike.

Old December 11th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #181
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
Checkout post 144 he provides baseline dyno results for each result set.
Should have worded that better sorry, I was wondering if they did any dyno run with just the exhaust, with no micro tuner, I was curious to see how much the full system makes without the tuner, and just the k&n drop in filter.

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #182
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Should have worded that better sorry, I was wondering if they did any dyno run with just the exhaust, with no micro tuner, I was curious to see how much the full system makes without the tuner, and just the k&n drop in filter.
That would damage the engine from running too lean
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #183
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Quote:
I am sure he can chime in to confirm but without tuning the k&n drop in will yield no real gain and possibly worse results.

Old December 11th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #184
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
No problem. Essentially, it would be pointless to design a full performance exhaust system without making adjustments to the A/F curve to take full advantage of this. Perhaps the best example is to look at the first graph where we ran the oem system; then oem system with the Micro Programmer and mapping. Big difference. So the stock A/F curve leaves alot of room for improvement, even with the oem exhaust system. You could definetly run a Slip-On without an issue, since a Slip-On really does not change the performance (as noted on one of the other graphs).

As far as the filter goes, actually the K&N replacement panel shows much better improvement on the 300, with the snorkel removed, than it did on the 250. I don't know if they changed the foam durometer or what on the oem filter, or perhaps it's just something to do with overall changes on the 300 (FI, throttle body size, intake velocity, displacement, etc.), but the K&N definetly shows better results on our test subject. Don't soak it to death with the filter oil may also assist with that. The oem filter seemed to be really "wet" on our test bike.

Old December 11th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #185
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Quote:
No problem. Essentially, it would be pointless to design a full performance exhaust system without making adjustments to the A/F curve to take full advantage of this. Perhaps the best example is to look at the first graph where we ran the oem system; then oem system with the Micro Programmer and mapping. Big difference. So the stock A/F curve leaves alot of room for improvement, even with the oem exhaust system. You could definetly run a Slip-On without an issue, since a Slip-On really does not change the performance (as noted on one of the other graphs).

As far as the filter goes, actually the K&N replacement panel shows much better improvement on the 300, with the snorkel removed, than it did on the 250. I don't know if they changed the foam durometer or what on the oem filter, or perhaps it's just something to do with overall changes on the 300 (FI, throttle body size, intake velocity, displacement, etc.), but the K&N definetly shows better results on our test subject. Don't soak it to death with the filter oil may also assist with that. The oem filter seemed to be really "wet" on our test bike.
In regards to the drop in improvements that was with tuning correct? On the automotive side ECU maps tend to run pretty rich in certain cases so a drop in filter without tuning isn't a big concern motor wise but it does lean it out a bit. Is that the same case with these smaller motors? And if so does that bit of leaning help them?

Old December 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #186
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
In regards to the drop in improvements that was with tuning correct? On the automotive side ECU maps tend to run pretty rich in certain cases so a drop in filter without tuning isn't a big concern motor wise but it does lean it out a bit. Is that the same case with these smaller motors? And if so does that bit of leaning help them?
Yes absolutely correct. But it's a add & remove factoring for mapping, along with other adjustments in between depending on the other combinations. The oem curve is somewhat lean to rich untouched. We did not really notice those improvements with the filter alone, until we removed the snorkel and started developing map bases. So it's fair to say that mapping allowed the benefits of a less restrictive filter to take affect.

Old December 12th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #187
shovit
ninjette.org newbie

Name: *

Motorcycle(s): *

Quote:
Yes absolutely correct. But it's a add & remove factoring for mapping, along with other adjustments in between depending on the other combinations. The oem curve is somewhat lean to rich untouched. We did not really notice those improvements with the filter alone, until we removed the snorkel and started developing map bases. So it's fair to say that mapping allowed the benefits of a less restrictive filter to take affect.
Do you think it will be possible making an E85 map with stock injectors?
shovit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #188
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovit View Post
Do you think it will be possible making an E85 map with stock injectors?
Sure. It's a matter of getting a bike in, completely draining the fuel system/tank, and confirming that we are putting in 100% E85. We can then develop a map for that particular blend.

Old December 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #189
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I'm still riding my '08 with carbon QC, which I'm very happy with. If I get the opportunity to get a '13+ in the future, this will certainly one of the first upgrades I plan on. As long as AreaP keeps being awesome, I won't even look at competitors. They proved themselves the first time around.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #190
2013 kawi girl
ninjette.org member

Name: Kawi girl

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ninja 300

Talking

Hi Kerry~

Question for you... did you see any performance gains with the high mount like you did with the standard? Thanks in advance
2013 kawi girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #191
phrenetiK
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

phrenetiK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #192
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 kawi girl View Post
Hi Kerry~

Question for you... did you see any performance gains with the high mount like you did with the standard? Thanks in advance
You bet. Check out post 144 for all graphs & data

Old December 13th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #193
kbryant
Area P

Area P/Fuel Moto FI Micro Tuners available now!

Link to Sales info -

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120691

Old December 13th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #194
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Quote:
Thanks Kerry mine is ordered up.

Old December 13th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #195
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Any word on when we get to see a price for the systems?

Old December 14th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #196
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Should be posting them later today.

Old December 14th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #197
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Introductory prices will range from $525.00 for the Full Standard Mount System with Stainless Steel Muffler - To $595.00 for the Full Ultra High Mount System with Carbon Fiber Muffler.

We'll also be offering a special "pre-production" sale exclusively for ninjette.org members on these systems. We'll be trying a new program that will be more flexiable than a normal GB (that can be quite cumbersome to administrate). We'll be working out the details next month. Systems are currently scheduled for release in February as previously indicated.

Old December 14th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #198
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Introductory prices will range from $525.00 for the Full Standard Mount System with Stainless Steel Muffler - To $595.00 for the Full Ultra High Mount System with Carbon Fiber Muffler.

We'll also be offering a special "pre-production" sale exclusively for ninjette.org members on these systems. We'll be trying a new program that will be more flexiable than a normal GB (that can be quite cumbersome to administrate). We'll be working out the details next month. Systems are currently scheduled for release in February as previously indicated.
Awesome! That's a great price, then all that's needed is the fi micro tuner right? (Another 300 ish?)

Old December 15th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #199
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
awesome! That's a great price, then all that's needed is the fi micro tuner right? (another 300 ish?)
$249.95

Old December 15th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #200
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

When will the tuners be ready to ship?
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote