ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 9th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #1
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Getting started riding on a Ninja 250R (Newb's Perspective)

Take this post for what it is. A few observations on getting started riding with a Ninja 250r from someone totally new to motorcycles. There are guys on here that know much more about bikes than me but it might be helpful to other riders to hear some of these things from someone new like them.

I had toyed with getting a motorcycle for a while but I put it off after a nasty crash on a dirt bike a few years ago. It was my first time on a dirt bike and I didn’t keep calm so I ended up wrecking and banging up my knee badly. This year I decided to finish what I started. I enrolled in the MSF Course and practiced on my friend’s dirt bike to get ready (same one I crashed years ago). My friend had a good bit of riding experience so he helped alot. I took the course and it was a great way to get started riding. The instructors were awesome and it's nice to learn on a bike you don't have to pay for if you drop lol. If you are new to biking (as in you didn't grow up riding a dirt bike or anything) then you would be stupid not to take the MSF course.

After taking the MSF course and passing I started looking for Ninja's. It was already September so I needed to get a bike soon. By chance I ran into a guy looking to get a bigger bike and ditch his Ninja. It was a 2012 LE in red with a damaged right fairing and bent handlebar. He wanted $2500 and the bike only had 2200 miles on it. My friend and I looked it over and I ended up buying it. I got a great deal on that bike. We replaced a broken turn signal bulb and fixed the handlebar using a vise at my friend’s house and the bike was good to go.

I started out riding it through an industrial park near my house. It's a big loop with low traffic and a 25mph speed limit. Great place for a newb to get started riding. Over time I gradually started to drive into town near my apartment. Then I used back roads to get further away. I used the industrial park to "warm up" before going out riding each time. It didn’t take long for shifting and braking to become more natural allowing me to focus on other things.

The Ninja's low acceleration was a blessing. Jerking the throttle didn't lead to instant disaster like it could have on some bikes. I kept it under 7000 rpms and putted around. A few times I was barely going the speed limit and there were a line of cars behind me. I refused to let cars make me speed up faster than I felt ready to go. Nowadays I’m comfortable going faster and blending in with traffic.

The bike turns so easily that you can maneuver with the slightest effort. This affords extra time to correct course if you see yourself headed into trouble. The bike’s light weight makes it easier to keep from dropping it as well. A few times I almost dropped my bike while coming to a stop and getting my foot down. Had the bike been a 650 that clocked in 70lbs heavier I would have dropped it for sure. Instead I just muscled it up. And I only weigh 150lbs.

I was nervous about driving on the highway but by the 4th day with my ninja I forced myself to do it. The winds were harsh and thoughts of road rash at 65mph scared the crap out of me but I did it anyways and made it through fine. After just a month of riding I'm not scared of the highway at all anymore. It really is the safest/easiest place to ride and it was only my own fears that were making it hard. Dealing with wind on the highway has become less of an issue over time. You might have to tuck in or correct course after the wind blows you around but it is manageable.

As I started riding I had some body pain. My back, neck and wrists hurt after rides 30 minutes or longer. But as I learned to keep my arms loose and as parallel to the ground as possible things got better. Now I feel I could do an hour on the bike easy.

Oh, and yes, I wear gear. I’ve had a helmet(HJC), jacket (Joe Rocket textile), work boots and leather gloves since I got the bike. I’ve added some racing boots (Cortech Latigo), riding pants (Revit Enterprise) and better gloves (leather gauntlets with knuckle armor). If you get on a bike I would consider a helmet, protective jacket, leather gloves and work boots as the minimum. You won’t die without racing boots and riding pants but it’s nice to ride without worrying about road rash/ankle injuries as much.

I just recently hit 1,000 miles on my ninja. While I’ve still got tons to learn I’m off to a good start and the Ninja 250r was the perfect choice. I’ve used it for general backroads fun, getting takeout, commuting to work (20 miles each way), visiting folks and even to get to Church once. It’s done everything I needed it to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (162.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg photo (3).jpg (112.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (71.4 KB, 4 views)
kdogg2077 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old November 9th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg2077 View Post
Take this post for what it is.............
.......... it is a very good post !!!

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #3
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Are you going to ride through the winter?
Do you ski?
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Great story... Keep it safe, an enjoy the ride

Old November 9th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #5
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Great newb perspective

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #6
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Are you going to ride through the winter?
Do you ski?
I tried to buy gear that was on the warm side so I've just been riding in the cold because I don't want to stop lol. Drove to work one day and it was 33 degrees in the morning but it warmed up. I'll probably have to put the bike away soon though. Damn PA winters. I snowboard so I'll get to have some winter fun.

Old November 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #7
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I wear my ski stuff over my leathers but York temps are a good 10 degrees warmer then up around you
Blue Knob is my favored Pa mountain and I will get up there this winter.
@subxero we all should go some time.
I snowboard also but intermediate
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #8
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I wear my ski stuff over my leathers but York temps are a good 10 degrees warmer then up around you
I just started snowboarding last winter and I almost always go to Blue Knob. It's only 30 minutes or so from my apartment. If you come up let me know.

Old November 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #9
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
.......... it is a very good post !!!

Thanks, it's nice to know I'm on the right track.

Old November 9th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #10
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg2077 View Post
I tried to buy gear that was on the warm side so I've just been riding in the cold because I don't want to stop lol. Rode to work one day and it was 33 degrees in the morning but it warmed up. I'll probably have to put the bike away soon though. Damn PA winters. I snowboard so I'll get to have some winter fun.
^fixed it for ya

Quote:
Back in the day i used to instruct snowboarding at Blue Knob, definitely hit Me or Kdog up if you plan on going, with any luck we get some good snow this year.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
This thread deserves a

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #12
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

Only 1,000 miles? Come on I got mine late September too and I'm just over 2,500! It really is a good bike though. I'm glad I chose it over the 650s as well.
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #13
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Sounds like you're off to a really great, sensible start!

I think this would be a really good post for all new riders to read
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #14
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
Only 1,000 miles? Come on I got mine late September too and I'm just over 2,500! It really is a good bike though. I'm glad I chose it over the 650s as well.
I would have racked up more miles but this western PA weather just won't cooperate. Rain and low temps don't make for enjoyable riding. I actually haven't ridden in the rain yet.

Old November 10th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #15
ktp1598
ninjette.org member

Name: Bobby

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 Phantom Silver, 2006 Harley Davidson XL1200L Glacier White

Love to read stuff like this! I let a die hard big bore cruiser buddy of mine ride an '05 250 that I had and he came back impressed. Of course I told him not to be afraid of the red line. Glad you like the bike. They really are fun.
ktp1598 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #16
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Oh and to be specific the friend I mention helping me out is Subzero...you'll see him lurking on the boards whenever someone mentions the ktm 390. I may not have passed the MSF course if he hadn't helped me get ready. He also did most of the work when we got the bike fixed up after I bought it.

Old November 11th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #17
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
^ it's spelled with an "x" thank you very much... it's cooler.

We still need to shim the carb needles on that bike of yours, would probably help out a little with this cold weather

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #18
Dragone
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): '86 VFR 750, '90 ZX7, '92 KZ1000, '05 ninja 500, '05 6RR, '06 10R, '07 ninja 250

A nice write up. Congrats on the new ride.
Dragone is offline   Reply With Quote