Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old January 26th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #361
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I did the pinup-style shoot. The model didn't really know how to pose, and I got several lame shots. I did manage to get some keepers:
Google "Vargas art" and/or "Nose art" images.

plenty of poses for her to work with.

my personal favorite (and i want this painted on a motorcycle at some point)

Puss n Boots

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 26th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #362
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
In the end, the cleared it up and adjusted the total order amount. I just didn't want to have to return a second charger, since it was around $50 for each unit.

So as of now, I should have the X30 in my hands by Thursday. In total I spent about $680 on the whole thing. That is for the camera and bundle, charger, neck strap, and lens kit (hood and filters).
I'm glad they could change that for you before they shipped it. Much easier for you not to have to return it.

Enjoy your new camera!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #363
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
Google "Vargas art" and/or "Nose art" images.

plenty of poses for her to work with.

my personal favorite (and i want this painted on a motorcycle at some point)

Puss n Boots

Thanks for the reference! That would be nice to have on a tank. I just would be scared to get a scratch and screw it all up. You can't just toss some touchup paint on it and call it good. hahaha

She is one of those that really just wants to let the photographer get what he/she wants. I think she has worked with several photographers that pose her EXACTLY how they want, and I'm just not that critical. We did get some good ones, but several felt rigid. It is a work in progress. In the end, if I get some keepers, then the shoot was a success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I'm glad they could change that for you before they shipped it. Much easier for you not to have to return it.

Enjoy your new camera!
Thanks! I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

That was my thought. I didn't want to deal with returns and refunds. This was way easier.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2016, 11:29 AM   #364
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
We did get some good ones, but several felt rigid.
Need more grownup grape juice.
However; model gets edit & delete prerogatives at next day meeting
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #365
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

So far she has been super stoked about the final results. We talked quite a bit, since it was the first time we worked together. I found that she really doesn't like her smile. So, I am picking images that don't have her smiling. Gotta keep her happy.

And the more I look at the ones I have, the more I hate the ones I chose. I had about 20 set aside, but only three stand out now. Those I have finalized. I gotta look at them again and see what else pops out at me. Several were front on, and that just isn't very flattering for ladies.

Old January 29th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #366
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

She is here! I've nicknamed it Dark Helmet (Spaceballs reference for those who don't know).

I love this thing. Sure, the sensor isn't super sharp, but the reduction in weight, ease of button customization, and all the Fuji-specific items are all welcomed additions. If I shoot strictly in JPEG, I can do film bracketing. I've been using Provia, Classic Chrome, and Monochrome with a red filter. In tricky situations, I may switch to raw, but I'm really enjoying just using JPEG and sticking with what I've got.

This is strange because one reason I got this camera is its ability to shoot in RAW. Now I'm not even using it. hahaha

It is light, easy to turn on and off, the EVF sensor works great and toggles between rear display to the EVF very quickly. The focus is about as fast as my prime lenses. Not superfast, sometimes it has to hunt, but in the end it gets it (normally within a second).

I also like how when I switch to manual focus, it shows me a DOF scale on the bottom of the display. That makes quick firing the camera really easy on the street.

I was just goofing around yesterday (it arrived earlier that afternoon) and here are a couple of images I got from it:

Click the second image for a larger jpg.

Old January 29th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #367
CaliGrrl

Nice! I'll have to look for something like this next time I replace my point-and-shoot. It's nice to have a tiny camera, but I really would like more control over the image.

Old January 29th, 2016, 12:10 PM   #368
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Just to let you know, you can't fit it into a pocket, unless it is a jacket pocket. It is too big for that. If you truly want a compact that can fit into a jeans pocket, you may have to spend a touch more money. It is small though. I just keep a small sling bag to keep it in when I want it with me, but not hanging from my neck.

Old January 29th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #369
CaliGrrl

My current P&S will fit in a pocket, but my pockets are usually full of wallet and phone so that's no big deal. Lots of options for small shoulder-sling type bags.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 01:57 PM   #370
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Need more grownup grape juice.
However; model gets edit & delete prerogatives at next day meeting
just enough to take the edge off. a little giggly, big honest smiles, alot less self conscience.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 03:59 PM   #371
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
just enough to take the edge off. a little giggly, big honest smiles, alot less self conscience.

Works almost every time! Not too much though or the model is way too relaxed and you can't focus!

But; ALWAYS with (assuming you're working with an amateur model) the caveat that even if you own the photos: the model has unconditional final say as to which pics are keepers and/or which are to be destroyed/deleted. The purpose is not to deceive and get them to do what they don't want to do but to get them the photos they really want!

Integrity & trust!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old February 14th, 2016, 08:42 AM   #372
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:

Works almost every time! Not too much though or the model is way too relaxed and you can't focus!

But; ALWAYS with (assuming you're working with an amateur model) the caveat that even if you own the photos: the model has unconditional final say as to which pics are keepers and/or which are to be destroyed/deleted. The purpose is not to deceive and get them to do what they don't want to do but to get them the photos they really want!

Integrity & trust!
Yup.

I'm always cautious about what I release. Many of the models I work with are on a trust basis. As a photog, I don't want to put an image out that makes a model look bad. I have a reputation to keep. lol

Old February 15th, 2016, 10:15 AM   #373
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

So I made a post debating on getting a FujiFilm XT10. I pulled it because now I thinking a solid computer to do all my photo stuff would be nice.

That and maybe some Capture One 9 software. I think just having a dedicated photography computer would help my organization. This HP laptop would be just for internet usage.

I guess I was thinking the XT10 would be nice to have as a backup for my D7000, but if anything does happen to it, I can get a replacement D7000/7100/7200 pretty easily, or change to the XT10 at that time.

For computers, I'm thinking a iMac or Macbook Pro. Decisions! I think the Macbook would be more versatile, but the iMac has that nice and huge screen! I'll have to really research this.

Old March 23rd, 2016, 09:22 AM   #374
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

An actor headshot: William Tokarsky
He has been in Hunger Games: Catching Fire, a popular Cartoon Network Adult Swim skit - Too Many Cooks, as well as others.

This is one of many taken in a hotel room when I met up with him in Austin at SXSW. A really cool, down to earth guy who appreciates good BBQ (took him to the best place I new in Austin, TX).

Old March 23rd, 2016, 09:38 AM   #375
CaliGrrl

Nice!

Old March 23rd, 2016, 04:09 PM   #376
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Just blagged a classic Pentax Spotmatic and 3 lenses at the local auction for £10. This version:
http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...maticSPII.html

Beside Pentax quality it has two pluses over other classics. Firstly Bridge meter circuit so you can use modern batteries and maintain accurate metering and secondly M42 lenses. (Most of my collection was stolen recently but luckily they missed the Ziess Biotar 2/58 which is a classic lens
Also got a dull but worthy Chinon CS

Now comes the discipline of using film after 2 years of DSLR
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2016, 11:28 AM   #377
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

That is a classic.

I finally got around to sending my two rolls of 120 and 3 of 35mm out for developing. I hope it came out well.

I'll post some once I get them back. I ordered scans, about 16MP quality or so.

Old March 31st, 2016, 11:33 AM   #378
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

My film came back. Here are some samples. One of each film type I use, except the Kodak Porta 400 and Lumography 683 100ISO. I haven't done a portrait with that yet, I normally just have that for street. I have yet to yank the Lomo 643 out of the box. I am not sure what I want to use that for at this moment. I do want to get a solid medium format camera. I love the Holga for the B&W studio work, but I would love a super crisp/sharp MF that doesn't take a minute to wind to the next frame. Too bad 'blads are so darn expensive.

I've been looking around, but just gun shy on a solid, modular, medium format camera. I know I don't want 6x4.5. 6x6 or greater will only do for me.

Large format, though I could probably build one myself, it is just large, bulky, and heavy. So, not until I get a standalone studio. Ugh. I'd love to get my hands on a Rollei 2.8 TLR, but I think something like a Bronica or Mamiya, or similar would work best for me.

First image: Nikon FG 35mm SLR, 85mm f/2.2 lens, Kodak Trix400
Second image: Holga 120N, 60mm f/16 lens, Kodak Trix400
Third image: Nikon FG 35mm SLR, 50mm f/1.8 lens, Fuji Superia X-tra 400

Old March 31st, 2016, 05:15 PM   #379
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
Just blagged a classic Pentax Spotmatic and 3 lenses at the local auction for £10.
Now comes the discipline of using film after 2 years of DSLR
Now that you're back shooting film; that will be the most expensive 10 pounds you've ever spent!

Film's not too bad if you can set up a closet darkroom, shoot only B&W and do your own processing/printing. But; I'm sure I'm telling you what you already know.

Old March 31st, 2016, 06:33 PM   #380
Ninjinsky

Quote:
Now that you're back shooting film; that will be the most expensive 10 pounds you've ever spent!

Film's not too bad if you can set up a closet darkroom, shoot only B&W and do your own processing/printing. But; I'm sure I'm telling you what you already know.
True, however I have a negative scanner so I only pay for the basic film processing. the rest is normal digital.
There is a gorgeous feeling of "craft" and being part of a hundred year tradition.

Sometimes I like to write letters with a fountain pen, it changes the whole process in subtle ways

Old March 31st, 2016, 07:33 PM   #381
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
True, however I have a negative scanner so I only pay for the basic film processing. the rest is normal digital.
There is a gorgeous feeling of "craft" and being part of a hundred year tradition.

Sometimes I like to write letters with a fountain pen, it changes the whole process in subtle ways
I've never tried a neg scanner! How's the resolution? (Which scanner?)
If it's not digital; I write it with a 0.9 mm pencil! If it's good enough for NASA; it's good enough for me!

Old April 1st, 2016, 05:45 AM   #382
Ninjinsky

Quote:
I've never tried a neg scanner! How's the resolution? (Which scanner?)
If it's not digital; I write it with a 0.9 mm pencil! If it's good enough for NASA; it's good enough for me!
These are normal desk scanners which incorporate a negative/ slide holder and separate lamp in the lid picked up in thrift store for 5-10 bucks.
The eBay prices are on the up now, expect to pay $50
I have 3
Canon 4200F ( scanning res 3200 )
Epson V100 ( scanning res 3200 )
Epson Perfection 2480 Photo (scanning res 4800)

I use mostly the Canon because it is on the desk as my main scanner, the V100 also gave very good results.
Some of my negs are 40 years old and they do begin to deteriorate over the years so I recommend scanning them up now rather than leaving it and pulling them out from the back of a cupboard when you are an old guy

I tried to attach a full res scan of an old neg but it a 40 meg.which gives you some idea how fine it scans but it is too big. I'll try and sort a flickr account. Here is the jpeg (My first big Suzuki from 1986

Old April 1st, 2016, 09:00 AM   #383
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I'm in the process of looking for darkroom equipment. I love shooting B&W film, so why not save major cash to do it myself?

That reminds me, I have a contact that was supposed to quote me on some used gear that is sitting around her house, I should message her and see if I can get a real quote.

I found some medium format cameras for a decent price, but I think I'll try to do the darkroom thing and get that going first.

Old April 6th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #384
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Alright! So I got word back from my contact, she is willing to part with two Patterson Super System 4 developing tanks with accessories. One is a 2-reel tank (perfect for a single roll of 120) and the other is a 3-reel tank. She will throw in two adjustable reels and a bag to load the reels/tanks for $40.

I'm picking them up this weekend. She mentioned she had some chemicals, but isn't sure if they are still good. If they are, she will bring them. That isn't bad, a couple of single tanks would cost about the same amount, and I'm getting all this. Awesome. I was planning on doing at least 90% B&W film in my cameras, so this will save me a lot of cash. When I do shoot color, I'll just send it out and get it done that way.

I was doing a headshot session for a client recently. Her husband was holding this guy. During a change in hairstyle, I asked him to hold the little one up and snapped this. He turned 5-months that day. She saw the image and asked if I could send it to her so she could post it. She gave me permission to use it, so I gave her a copy. I only took 2 images of him, but this one was the best.

Nikon D750, 85mm f/1.8, 4-light studio setup.
(click for larger version)

Old April 9th, 2016, 01:39 PM   #385
Big50cal
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE

Moon shots

I just got started about a month ago. Here are a couple of my first pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00161.jpg (33.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00153.jpg (33.0 KB, 2 views)
Big50cal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2016, 02:40 PM   #386
CaliGrrl

Nice! The thing with the moon is that the surrounding dark sky will fool your camera, unless you have it on manual and can tell it what to shoot. I'm consistently surprised by just how much light the moon throws and how fast I can shoot to get definition. Those look like daytime/dusk, which would make life a bit easier since there's less contrast between moon and sky.

Old April 9th, 2016, 05:31 PM   #387
Ninjinsky

The moon is a fast mover too. Once you are zoomed in it covers its own width in a couple of minutes
I used it crossing the screen as the video for one of my tracks called Ship of Souls. People think it is speeded up but it is real time.

Old April 9th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #388
Big50cal
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE

Earlier moon shots

Quote:
Nice! The thing with the moon is that the surrounding dark sky will fool your camera, unless you have it on manual and can tell it what to shoot. I'm consistently surprised by just how much light the moon throws and how fast I can shoot to get definition. Those look like daytime/dusk, which would make life a bit easier since there's less contrast between moon and sky.
Thank you. The 1st pictures were taken at around 0725. These were taken at about 0230 on the same morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00136.jpg (30.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00141.jpg (31.5 KB, 2 views)
Big50cal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2016, 01:13 PM   #389
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Some photos raw from the camera from a short walk near my house.

Timing is key, time + placement would be even better Wish I would have had on my zoom lens.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #390
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

More

Wonder what he is thinking about? Wish was in focus more, but you either get the shot or you don't. :\

Old April 28th, 2016, 01:42 PM   #391
CaliGrrl

I love this thread!

Here are a couple I took while showing some out-of-town guests around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4989-Endeavour.jpg (99.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4940-NorthLawn.jpg (114.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4936-Coreopsis.jpg (84.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4870-SwellSharkEgg.jpg (50.4 KB, 1 views)

Old April 30th, 2016, 11:28 AM   #392
Ninjinsky

What makes a great photograph?
I think this Victorian photo of people skating on a moonlit lake is a bit of magic.

Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:57 AM   #393
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

A recent shoot:

Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:52 AM   #394
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Nice Mark!

I get my Cannon back from being out on loan to my daughter this weekend. Can't wait, my forest is coming to life with all the rain and warmer weather. Should be something to shoot back there.

Old May 4th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #395
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Thanks!

Funny you mention the forest. My next photoshoot is just that. I'll be taking a model out into the woods. We are working together to try to get published in a magazine.

Old May 9th, 2016, 05:53 AM   #396
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

As a favor for my niece, I did her 8th grade pre-dance images. I almost posted this on my page, but my brother-in-law posted the image on the left. I didn't want to come across like an ass, so I haven't posted it.

The image on the left he took with his iPhone, and the one on the right is mine.

I kinda wanted to make a little ad going after those who think they are a photographer because they own a phone with a camera in it, but I thought better of it (at least for now). I know he'd be fine with it, but I'd rather not use his photo for the ad. I may do something later myself for fun and use that. At least that way I can have the model keep the same pose for both shots.

The location was at a little gazebo with some trees around as well. I just had a flash shooting into an umbrella. I had to use my high-powered portable flash setup to get the power required to fire off in hot and bright sun (reason why was to bring down the exposure in the background, reduce the highlights). In order to make the background blurry (used an 85mm prime), I tossed on a 3-stop ND filter. That dropped my exposure down from f/8 to f/2.8. Made a huge difference in pulling the subject off the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carrigan VS.jpg (111.9 KB, 6 views)

Last futzed with by Apex; May 9th, 2016 at 04:27 PM.

Old May 9th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #397
CaliGrrl

That's a nice portrait! I immediately noticed how well she was separated from the background and you can really see her.

Old May 9th, 2016, 06:25 PM   #398
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
That's a nice portrait! I immediately noticed how well she was separated from the background and you can really see her.
Thanks! I decided on the small silver umbrella (32") due to the group of people (5 total) and that it was rather windy. I didn't want to ask a parent to hold my light stand the whole shoot, if I used a larger umbrella. The location I selected wouldn't fit my silver 7' parabolic easily (and would have acted like a sail), so the smaller was the best bet. I have a 46", but that is my baby for studio work, I didn't want to drag it out in the field. I'd rather replace a $30 umbrella instead of one that is $125.

Old May 9th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #399
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Oh, I got EXCELLENT NEWS TODAY!

The actor I did headshots for posted 4 of them on IMDB. I am officially a published photographer on IMDB.

HOW FRIGGIN SWEET IS THAT????

My four images are his latest on the page:
Click here to view the gallery

I've taken screen shots and everything. hahaha

Old May 9th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #400
CaliGrrl