ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 14th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #1
nliu314
ninjette.org member

Name: Norman

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE Black and Red

Angry 2010 Turns over then dies

I am about to go flipping crazy. Bike has been sitting for a few months in garage during harsh NYC winter. At first, bike wouldn't turn over, just cranking.

*Every time I start it is on full choke since anything less will have it die or not turn over at all"

Took apart the bike, cleaned carbs, fresh gas, changed oil, and charged battery (Took it to Autozone and they said it was fine).

Now it turns over but then dies almost immediately (about 2 seconds after).

Sprayed some starter fluid and it stayed sputtering and idle ish after it turned over for about 10 seconds more but then dies again.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO. Please help me! I am running out of ideas. I feel like I am getting close but I am about to lose it. It is only about 1,000 miles old.

I can try to put up a video tomorrow night.
nliu314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Bummer Norman... It has to be one of the big 3, gas, air or spark. Let's do the checks in the order of simplicity though;
  • Air - Pull the air filter, clean and in order? Since you have it out, shine a flashlight in the hole and have a peek in there. Any critters? Is it open and clear?
  • Air - Check the snorkel area, bugs have been known to make it their home.
  • Gas - Open the gas tank fill cap to ensure it is not vacuum locking.
  • Gas - Is the gas getting to and filling the float bowls? Loosen the drain screw to check each one.
  • Gas - Take out a spark plug and see if it is wet from gas.
  • Spark - Take out a plug and ground it to the engine casing. Press the start button and see if you have a nice blue spark. (repeat for the other plug)

Lastly, have some patience and keep working with it. It may take some time to fully prime up the carbs after a long stent in storage. It took my 250 30 mins to fully come alive after 4 months in storage over the winter. Nothing was wrong with it, because I tracked it the very next day.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #3
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Was it running ok before you had it in storage during the winter? Did you put any fuel stabilizer in the tank during winter?

Is the petcock working ok? Try to set it to PRI and see if gas is dripping out. Try to start it on PRI

Also, how did you clean the carbs? Did you use a thin copper wire to clean out the main and pilot jets? They may look clean (can even see light through the holes), but may not be clean.

Also, the air/fuel mixture screws. Did you take those out as well and soak them in carb cleaner?

Where did you spray starter fluid? If it starts for 10 seconds, try spraying it onto the boots (between airbox and carbs & between carbs and motor) to see if there's any change in idle. If there is, there's a vacuum leak somewhere.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nliu314 View Post
I am about to go flipping crazy. Bike has been sitting for a few months........

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO. Please help me! I am running out of ideas.
If engine started with spray, the bowls of the carbs are dry.

If those are dry, I would first verify that fuel is flowing down.

If not, apply vacuum to the petcock while the hose is disconnected from the nipple.

If still you see no flow, the mesh filter inside the tank is clogged and needs to be counter-flushed.

There is also a tiny mesh filter inside the house, in the lower end, that needs cleaning.

Last futzed with by Motofool; May 15th, 2015 at 04:55 PM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Your carburetors need a proper cleaning, I would recommend PM @ducatiman he's close by on Long Island.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote