ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 20th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #1
kyrider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Cheap HD cam options?

Would like to record my rides and would like ideas on good economical cams if there are any.

If this has already been covered I am sorry.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
1saleaday.com constantly has HD camcorders on the cheap. I got the Kodak Zx3 Retail $130 for $60. Just last week they had another kodak for $50 and a Toshiba for $60. They change all their items every 24hrs so check it each day until you find a great deal.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Don't know too much about this, but I saw the GoPro HD 960 on sale...

http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/che...era-deals/5620

Old July 20th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhyen View Post
Don't know too much about this, but I saw the GoPro HD 960 on sale...

http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/che...era-deals/5620
LOL $0.99 off. Better snag that deal!

Oh you get a free $20 SD card too. meh
AFM #676

Old July 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Speak of the devil they just emailed me this.

http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/toshiba-camileo

http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/sylvania-dv-6000

http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/vado-4gb

Theres your cheapo HD cameras cheapskate! Personally, I'd go with the Toshiba if I were you
AFM #676

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:49 AM   #6
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

HD keychain cams run about $30 on ebay.

PS: Its also important to get one that stores video in direct H.264 format (MOV, MP4) because HD in most other formats will fill up your memory card very quickly.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM   #7
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

If you don't already have a digital camera, swing by Best Buy or your favorite electronics store and look at the new cameras that are out. A lot of them have HD video recording.

Or you can search around the internet (ebay, craigslist) for something like the Sony Bloggie PM5. I found one on another forum and it's perfect. I'm waiting on the RAM handlebar mount that I ordered to arrive before I put the camera on the bike but all the reviews say it will be fine.
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
LOL $0.99 off. Better snag that deal!

Oh you get a free $20 SD card too. meh
LOL. didn't bother reading it thoroughly, but the SD card they're throwing does average for about $40 and the entire setup has mount, casing, etc.

Old July 21st, 2011, 08:49 AM   #9
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Check out my vids on youtube...type in.....adri99an

Can't go wrong with the FLIP camera...good quality, easy editing....super light so the mount doesn't have to be expensive. I got my mount off EBAY for 10 bucks- just checked the other day and they still sell them on there. I know Phre3k knows of a good deal for a GoPro- pm him...I beliive it came with everything for about 200 bucks or so. I've had my Flip for 3 years now and cannot complain. Where I've mounted mine....it is easy to use while actually riding the bike...you can turn it on and off pretty easily where other cameras (depending where they are mounted) you have to stop and get off and turn it on and off....the FLip also allows you to take still photos of anything you video which comes in handy when you are making a vid.....another cool feature is I can take my Flip off the bike in 10 seconds and video other things very quickly.....Mine is mounted like so....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 063.jpg (82.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (106.8 KB, 8 views)
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:57 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post

Can't go wrong with the FLIP camera...good quality, easy editing....super light so the mount doesn't have to be expensive. I got my mount off EBAY for 10 bucks- just checked the other day and they still sell them on there. I know Phre3k knows of a good deal for a GoPro- pm him...I beliive it came with everything for about 200 bucks or so. I've had my Flip for 3 years now and cannot complain. Where I've mounted mine....it is easy to use while actually riding the bike...you can turn it on and off pretty easily where other cameras (depending where they are mounted) you have to stop and get off and turn it on and off....the FLip also allows you to take still photos of anything you video which comes in handy when you are making a vid.....another cool feature is I can take my Flip off the bike in 10 seconds and video other things very quickly.....Mine is mounted like so....
Hit me with the link where you got that mount please.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 11:27 AM   #11
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:

How's the vibration when you mount it there? The RAM mount I ordered is a u-bolt mount and I wanted to mount it there or directly on the left handlebar.

I'll check out your videos in a few minutes...

Old July 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM   #12
adri99an

Well check out the vids....since it is behind the windscreen no wind...when I had it on the handlebar- toooooo much wind probably because the mount isnt as great as a ram mount.

Old July 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM   #13
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hit me with the link where you got that mount please.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-IG-B05-Motorc...item4cf8caa9f7

Here ya go...had mine for 2 years....its not a RAM mount but it does the job.....if you get yours- do not overtighten!!!! The Flip camera is sooooo light- you do not need it super tight.

Old July 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM   #14
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Well check out the vids....since it is behind the windscreen no wind...when I had it on the handlebar- toooooo much wind probably because the mount isnt as great as a ram mount.
just subscribed...awesome vids

Old July 21st, 2011, 01:39 PM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhyen View Post
LOL. didn't bother reading it thoroughly, but the SD card they're throwing does average for about $40 and the entire setup has mount, casing, etc.
I just bought one of those 16gb cards off of amazon for $22. I also got a 32gb for $44. At a bestbuy it might be $40 but online you can get them much cheaper
AFM #676

Old July 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM   #16
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
just subscribed...awesome vids
Thanks!

Got 2 more vids processing...I did some cornering yesterday on a few of my favorite turns...

Old July 21st, 2011, 01:49 PM   #17
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
I just bought one of those 16gb cards off of amazon for $22. I also got a 32gb for $44. At a bestbuy it might be $40 but online you can get them much cheaper
Did you pay attention to the class they're rated?

There is a speed difference in how fast they can read/write which if you're just a regular user with a point and shoot it won't matter but if you have a nicer camera, a DSLR, or a HD video camera then the speed might come into play.

I personally buy all my memory cards from www.bhphotovideo.com and I stick to SanDisk because they've never let me down. I have two 4gb class 10's for my DSLR, and I am going to buy an 8gb class 10 for my Bloggie.

I like using 4gb cards because that is the size of a standard DVD so it makes it very easy to back up a full card if I shoot that much in a day or whenever. Also in the event that your cards take a dive on you, you will only lose part of your data instead of everything if you use a huge card and never take the files off or back them up regularly.

Hope those tips help. I'm the kind of person that doesn't keep anything on the memory cards and I pull them into my computer as soon as I get a chance to.

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Did you pay attention to the class they're rated?

There is a speed difference in how fast they can read/write which if you're just a regular user with a point and shoot it won't matter but if you have a nicer camera, a DSLR, or a HD video camera then the speed might come into play.

I personally buy all my memory cards from www.bhphotovideo.com and I stick to SanDisk because they've never let me down. I have two 4gb class 10's for my DSLR, and I am going to buy an 8gb class 10 for my Bloggie.

I like using 4gb cards because that is the size of a standard DVD so it makes it very easy to back up a full card if I shoot that much in a day or whenever. Also in the event that your cards take a dive on you, you will only lose part of your data instead of everything if you use a huge card and never take the files off or back them up regularly.

Hope those tips help. I'm the kind of person that doesn't keep anything on the memory cards and I pull them into my computer as soon as I get a chance to.
Yes I bought Class 10 cards even though that is far faster than I need them to be. 1080p HD video records at 15Mbps which is about 2MBps. A class 2 card has a minimum write rate of 2MBps which means it is suitable for 1080p recording. Now the interesting thing is that because this is a minimum write rate, the cards will typically transfer data even faster. For example, Class 10 PNY cards which have a minimum write rate of 10MBps are advertised as being able to write at 20MBps. The only time I think you would ever need something faster than a class 4 is with DSLR's that are recording multiple pictures at the same time.

I bought Class 10 cards because they were only $2 more than the Class 4's.

In testing I have seen Class 2 and 4 cards write at 6-10MBps, depending on brand

For your DSLR I would definitely recommend class 10 but for your bloggie a class 2 or 4 will be sufficient so if you can save $10 on your card then do it. Last night I tested out my Kodak Zx3 1080p with an old 8gb Class 2. It performed perfectly.

Info: Mbps = Mega bits per second: MBps = Mega bytes per second: 1 byte = 8 bits.
AFM #676

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:17 PM   #19
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Yes I bought Class 10 cards even though that is far faster than I need them to be. 1080p HD video records at 15Mbps which is about 2MBps. A class 2 card has a minimum write rate of 2MBps which means it is suitable for 1080p recording. Now the interesting thing is that because this is a minimum write rate, the cards will typically transfer data even faster. For example, Class 10 PNY cards which have a minimum write rate of 10MBps are advertised as being able to write at 20MBps. The only time I think you would ever need something faster than a class 4 is with DSLR's that are recording multiple pictures at the same time.

I bought Class 10 cards because they were only $2 more than the Class 4's.

In testing I have seen Class 2 and 4 cards write at 6-10MBps, depending on brand

For your DSLR I would definitely recommend class 10 but for your bloggie a class 2 or 4 will be sufficient so if you can save $10 on your card then do it. Last night I tested out my Kodak Zx3 1080p with an old 8gb Class 2. It performed perfectly.

Info: Mbps = Mega bits per second: MBps = Mega bytes per second: 1 byte = 8 bits.
I have a class 6 in the Bloggie now and it works good but I want the class 10 so if I ever need another for the DSLR then I can just grab that one and not worry. I like keeping things interchangeable lol

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:23 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I have a class 6 in the Bloggie now and it works good but I want the class 10 so if I ever need another for the DSLR then I can just grab that one and not worry. I like keeping things interchangeable lol
Amazon has them super cheap plus free shipping
AFM #676

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:25 PM   #21
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Amazon has them super cheap plus free shipping
Sweet thanks for the tip! I've spent far too much money this month already

but these are all things I "need" right? lol

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:30 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Sweet thanks for the tip! I've spent far too much money this month already

but these are all things I "need" right? lol
My budget for electronics goes before food and rent. Sometimes I have to go weeks without eating
AFM #676

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:34 PM   #23
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
My budget for electronics goes before food and rent. Sometimes I have to go weeks without eating
that's what hot dogs and ramen are for

Old July 21st, 2011, 03:42 PM   #24
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
that's what hot dogs and ramen are for
It's filet mignon and lobster or nothing
AFM #676