ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old December 9th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Foreigner
ninjette.org member

Name: Debbie

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Anyone here speak Thai/Malay? (hard bags)

That might be a bit of an odd question, so allow me to explain I've been sniffing around all over, including here on the forum, to find out about hard luggage options for the Ninjette. I've already figured I'll buy an extra pillion seat and add a top case to it, so that's on thing sorted.

The bigger challenge, is hard saddlebags! I already toured with soft bags and when it rains it's a nightmare (putting on the covers is a pain and things still get wet), and I was always paranoid about leaving the bike unattended with the bags still on. I'll be doing a long tour in May/July and I really think hard bags would be the right solution.

I couldn't seem to find any examples of someone putting hard bags on the new Ninja. More digging led me to two websites. This first is this one:

http://tmcblog.com/2008/09/01/ninja-...-v35-side-box/

Since it's all in Malay, I can't understand a word of it, but I might contact the guy that runs the blog. Can anyone figure out how he might have done this?

The second link is this one, from Thailand:

http://www.thaimotorbox.com/product_...l.php?proid=96

I can't find much information about the above product, especially whether it's legit. I saw a post on another forum where the total price for the stem came to close to $400, delivery to the US included (I'm in EU though so not sure what it would cost to get it over here). Anyone know more about this rack?

Last futzed with by Foreigner; December 9th, 2010 at 09:46 AM.
Foreigner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #2
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

Based on what I could pick up from Google Translate on the first article he's comparing the advantages of saddle bags over a top box that goes above your passenger seat. The man who owns the bike made several modifications to what I assume is the existing mounting bracket for the Varian V-35 saddle bags by raising the passenger seat lock bracket up as well as adding those struts that attach somewhere near the passenger foot pegs for added stability of the bags.

Basically, I think it's much custom work.

edit:
E-21 saddle bags are also mentioned. He was comparing the size mostly, saying the V-35 was significantly bigger and could carry helmets when the E-21 could not.

Old December 9th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #3
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

Have you seen this?

http://thecycleguys.com/Images.aspx?PID=523
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Foreigner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarorc View Post
Based on what I could pick up from Google Translate on the first article he's comparing the advantages of saddle bags over a top box that goes above your passenger seat. The man who owns the bike made several modifications to what I assume is the existing mounting bracket for the Varian V-35 saddle bags by raising the passenger seat lock bracket up as well as adding those struts that attach somewhere near the passenger foot pegs for added stability of the bags.

Basically, I think it's much custom work.

edit:
E-21 saddle bags are also mentioned. He was comparing the size mostly, saying the V-35 was significantly bigger and could carry helmets when the E-21 could not.
Hi Gareth, thanks for the translation! I'd tried Google Translate as well but couldn't get my head round the result. What you've said makes a lot more sense! Hmmm it looks simple but does seem like a lot of work and doesn't seem like it would be all that stable either :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT View Post
Hi Kurt, I hadn't seen that option before! Nice that they don't touch the bodywork - my seat panels are already a little scuffed from mounting the soft bags. Raises quite a few questions, but I'll definitely investigate. Thanks for the tip-off!

Old December 9th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Ninja North
ninjette.org member

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (FI)

I can only do a direct translation. As I have not seen or used these products before. Here goes:

1) HR4 MONORACK ARM เหล็กท้าย
2,000 บาท
HR 4 เป็นขายึดรถแบบพิเศษรุ่นใหม่สำหรับรถจักรยานยนต์สำหรับใช้รองรับกล่องบนทั้ง 2 ระบบคือ MONOKEY® และ MONOLOCK® สามารถใช้คู่กับจานรองรุ่น M3 และ Z113 มาพร้อมตัวปรับเอนให้กล่องตั้งอยู่ในระดับองศาที่ต้องการได้ ตัวขาเหล็กมีความแข็งแรงไม่หักงอ สามารถรองรับการกระแทกได้เป็นอย่างดี ให้ความภูมิฐานสง่างามและความมั่นคงในทุกการเดินทาง

1) HR4 MONORACK ARM เหล็กท้าย
2,000 thai baht (around 30 baht/1USD):
HR4 is a rack for top box systems (box on top of rear seat) only. This rack support both MONOKEY® and MONOLOCK® systems. This rack can be used together with plate models M3 and Z113 - and can be angle-adjustable.

2) SB 435 TUBULAR PANNIER HOLDERS เหล็กข้าง
2,900 บาท
SB 435 เป็นขายึดกล่องข้างสำหรับ KAWASAKI NINJA 250 โดยเฉพาะ มาพร้อมกัน 2 ข้าง และอุปกรณ์น๊อตต่างๆ สามารถใช้ได้กับกล่องอเนกประสงค์ของ GIVI ทุกรุ่นในระบบ MONOKEY® เช่นรุ่น SE21 CRUISER และ E41 KEYLES ซึ่งจำเป็นต้องติดตั้งเหล็กท้ายรุ่น HR4 เข้าไปก่อนที่จะทำการติดตั้ง

2) 2,900 thai baht
This rack is for mounting side boxes, and has to be used together with the HR4. This kit comes with all parts necessary (2 sides) for mounting GIVI boxes from all MONOKEY systems e.g.SE21 CRUISER และ E41 KEYLES

3) SBX 401 TUBULAR PANNIER HOLDERS เหล็กข้าง
2,900 บาท
SBX 401 เป็นขายึดเหล็กสำหรับ KAWASAKI NINJA 250 โดยเฉพาะ มาพร้อมกัน 2 ข้าง และอุปกรณ์น๊อตต่างๆ โดยใช้รองรับกล่องข้างของ GIVI รุ่น V35 ซึ่งจำเป็นต้องติดตั้งเหล็กท้ายรุ่น HR4 เข้าไปก่อนที่จะทำการติดตั้ง

3) 2,900 thai baht
This rack is for mounting side boxes, and has to be used together with the HR4. This kit comes with all parts necessary (2 sides) for mounting GIVI boxes model V35.

I hope this helps. Pls ask away if you have anymore questions.

Don
Ninja North is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Foreigner
ninjette.org member

Hi Don, thanks for the response! Ok so it seems that the whole system would come to approximately €125 (a little over $160). That's not bad at all, except I don't think I can trust the rack to carry a loaded top case.

I'm surprised no one's tried these yet, so I'm a little skeptical. I'll e-mail the guy and see if he can answer a few questions about the product. Will post results on here if I get a reply!

Old December 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #7
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

The V35's are huge sidecases but look good on that red 250. I didn't even run cases that big on my ZX14, I used Givi E21's and they were nice. I will be setting E21's up on my 250 after the holidays. I planned on making some brackets to tie into the rear peg mounts, tag mount as well as either over or under the tail to tie into the rear subframe. My rear seat mounted top case will also be tied into the subframe/tail area at the same time to be able to load that up and not have to rely on the latch to secure it by itself... this will result in it being bolted on and should be pretty heavy duty.

Good finds on those links!
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If anyone does end up mounting some great hard luggage onto a new-gen, please post up here (and maybe even in the wiki). Here's a great writeup that someone put together about mounting Caribou hard luggage onto a newgen:

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Caribou_hard_luggage

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #9
Foreigner
ninjette.org member

James - thanks for the heads up about the V35's, perhaps bigger might not be better? This was how I set up the bike for my last trip:

It was a pain to put on the bags and take them off wherever I ended up spending the night. Since I'm planning to go away for 3/4 weeks, I'm not sure the E21's would carry enough?

The rear seat mounted top case is exactly what I'm hoping to do as well - is it not very stable? Your DIY idea sounds very interesting, please do keep us posted on it, would love to see the result!

Alex - I was going to *cough cough* *nudge nudge* *wink wink* at James to 'subtly' ask for a DIY post. I'm glad you beat me to it

Old December 10th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #10
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreigner View Post
You need a bigger bike What is that bar you have on the left side?
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #11
Foreigner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
You need a bigger bike
Will get one as soon as I win the lottery The ninja handled it fine, and I forgot the bags were there sometimes. Thankfully they didn't weigh much, just bulky. But yes, a bigger bike would deal with all of my issues *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
What is that bar you have on the left side?
The bar is a U-lock, it's attached to a U-lock carrier I bought, which is fastened to the passenger footrest bracket. I'm going to try get some photos of it this weekend and will put it up in this section.

Old December 10th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #12
slolane
Motorcyclist

@ Alex: I will do my best to post a write up of which direction I go in. May be some trial and error at first but I plan to get to this sometime before spring.

@ Debbie: My seat top case mount is pretty snug with some additional metal brackets and weatherstripping, I posted a few pics IN THIS THREAD. It has been fine for the light everyday stuff I carry with my laptop but the only thing holding it in place is the rear seat locking pin which isn't much so I plan to modify it a little to make it more secure... maybe attach to subframe or through the stock undertail and tie in with the saddlebags, not sure yet.

Once I get working on the saddlebags I will post up for sure, just may be a couple of months before I get to it.

Based on the load you have packed in your soft bags the E21's would probably not work for you. I would recommend something larger... maybe do the top case first and see what you can fit in that and then decide on the size of sidecase needed.

The E21's are 16.5"L x 7.5"W x 13.5"D, with a capacity of 21 liters and max. load of 11 lbs/case.
The V35's are 20.7"W x 12.4"D x 15.5"H, with a capacity of 35 liters and max. load of 22 lbs/case.

Old December 10th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #13
Memengkamatis
ninjette.org member

Name: AL

Motorcycle(s): ex250r, vulcan 800b, k1200r

Hard side cases

Debbie, Check out Twistedthrottle.com. They carry Coocases, Givi, Hepco-Beckers. For luggage racks, see Ventura-MCA.com, go to "fitment" for specific rack for your bike. Ride safe.

Meng
Memengkamatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #14
Foreigner
ninjette.org member

James - Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I'm hoping to do! It does sound live the V35's would be better, especially since being a girl, I need to pack for every eventuality, including potential tsunamis No rush for setting up the bags, ust keep us posted, enjoy the holidays!

Meng - Thanks for the link I'm going to see with Ventura what they have on offer, perhaps I could fit some hard bags on their rack after all, somehow.

Old December 11th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #15
slolane
Motorcyclist

Hi Debbie, will do... I hope to get on this project in the new year.

Old December 13th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #16
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

If you are set on the V35s (they do fit the bike well and offer a lot of room) I might also suggest looking at the Kappa K33. Basically they are the same thing, just less expensive. Kappa is Givi's budget brand.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Debbi, I used soft luggage and did not like the drill every night unfastening endless bungees and straps. I did give myself more room by relocating the turn signals on each side of the license plate bracket (instead of the red reflectors) That would probably allow the use of larger cases. Then the only issue would be to stay clear of the exhaust. I was researching hard cases as well, but traded up to a larger bike.

Old December 14th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #18
Foreigner
ninjette.org member

Ryan - Ah those do look interesting. Thanks for the heads up, I could also probably find some here second hand :thumbsup:

Alex - Yep, that was one of my main issues with soft bagsn and it was a pain. I've also checked trailers recently as an alternative, but apparently, I'm not legally allowed to tow one with the Ninjette, no matter how small. I'd love to trade up to a bigger bike, but can't for a while (saving up), so I'll have to find a solution until then :/

Old December 14th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #19
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Hard bags are a better option to a trailer IMHO. Plus the V35 style cases (or really any) can be transferred to a larger bike, and all you need to get is new mounting hardware. If you buy good ones, it should be the last set you need to buy.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #20
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

I will agree with you at the annoyance of dealing with soft luggage on a nightly basis. I went on a moto trip and camped for the majority of four months so I got REALLY familiar with the drill.

A piece of advice for you, and anyone else using soft bags (saddle, tail, or tank): Screw rain covers. They are a pain to get on and then they fly off two minutes down the road. A solution that I used, and will until I have true waterproof luggage, is to put a trash bag inside the luggage and put all of your stuff in that. Fold the top over and nothing inside will get wet!
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #21
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Hi Debbie,

I visited Paris & London a couple years ago. Love Europe...spent way too much too
anyhow, are you Parisian born? According to your blog, you write amazingly well for Parisian (in English that is).
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM   #22
Newguy70
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Well if still interested, let me know. Sorry I have been away for a bit. I actually live here in Thailand, and will be stopping over at this shop in the next few days. If you have additional questions, just post and I will ask the shop, plus take additional pics of product.

J

Old January 15th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #23
The Blue Rider
ninjette.org member

Name: Terry

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I'm really interested in these racks, but somebody over on a different forum got a quote from the shop that the HR4 rack would be $140, and the shipping cost to the U.S. was $250! Google currency conversion shows 2000 Thai Baht should be about $65, not $140. And surely there is a less expensive way to get them here? If the price was correct and shipping wasn't a 12th of what I paid for my entire bike, I'd be interested in the HR4 rack with the V35 mounts.

English descriptions are available through the New Products page at Givi's Malaysian website. I found them by Google-searching for the model numbers. Givi apparently doesn't even acknowledge the existence of these offerings on the U.S. website, which makes me a little sad. What's the harm in putting up an extra web page?

HR4 main mount for the top box

SB435 side rails for E21/E41 boxes

SBX401 side rails for V35N boxes

Newguy70, if you can get in there and take a look at the real product, I'd like to know a few things. What's happening with the tail-lights on the SBX401 racks... Do the rear blinkers have to be moved? How do these systems all fit to the bike? Are they heavy/bulky? What does a Ninjette look and handle like with saddlebags and a top box all mounted on this system?

Last futzed with by The Blue Rider; January 15th, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
The Blue Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #24
Memengkamatis
ninjette.org member

EX250 luggage racks/top and side cases.

Check out TwistedThrottle.com. They recent added a luggage rack for the ninjette. They also sell Givi/Kappa, Coocases and other luggages for dual sport bike. I am certain you'll find one for your ride specially the GIVI Monolocks with the plates that will fit the rack.

Meng

Old January 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #25
The Blue Rider
ninjette.org member

Name: Terry

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I see a couple of new soft luggage tail bags there for the '08+ (which I have), but no racks for hard stuff.

Last futzed with by The Blue Rider; January 16th, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
The Blue Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #26
Memengkamatis
ninjette.org member

Search gear that fit your bike..EX250. The rack is there for $119.99 bucks for pre-gen only. Also Touratech-Ventura racks.

Last futzed with by Memengkamatis; January 16th, 2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: adding more info.

Old January 18th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #27
thaininja
ninjette.org member

Name: allan

Motorcycle(s): Nothing at the moment

Just to let you all know. The Guy at Thaimotobox speaks english. The products are official Givi Malaysia products. And the Racks are well capable of carrying a loaded top box. I agree that the e21's are better on a small bike. Dont forget it puts a lot of weight at the back of the bike..

my rack actually survived a high side.
thaininja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #28
hawkeye
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gio

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

30 April 2008 saya memposting artikel Ninja 250R dengan box bagasi, lengkap dengan gambar virtual hasil rekayasa photo-shop. Pada event pekan raya jakarta yang lalu, Motomaret sebagai deler resmi Givi dan Helm Nolan menampilkan ninja 250R Merah desain ala helm Nolan -62 Melandri replica, lengkap dengan giginya Tetapi saya nggak sempet elihatnya secara langsung, foto tersebut hasil kiriman Haji Ato. Akhirnya pada Event Touring Pelabuhan Ratu Ninja 250R Community, saya melihat langsung dengan kepala saya sendiri pengaplikasian Box Bagasi Givi Varian V-35 nemplok di kiri dan kanan Body buritan Ninja 250R Milik Pak-bro Youk, member sekaligus penasehat Ninja 250R Community.

I posted an article on April 30, 2008 on the Ninja 250R with hard bags, complete with a photo-shopped rendition. In last week's event in Jakarta, Motomaret (as an official dealer for Givi and Helm Nolan) displayed a replica red Ninja 250R design in the style of Helm Nolan-62 Melandri, complete with the clutch. I wasn't able to see it in the flesh; said photo was sent by Haji Ato. Eventually, at the Event Touring Pelabuhan Ratu (Queen's Harbour) Ninja 250R Community, I saw with my own eyes the application of the Givi Varian V-35 Hard Bags stuck on the left and right side of Youk's (Pak-bro is an amalgamation of the respectful Pak meaning sir, and the informal but intimate bro meaning, well, bro) Ninja 250R, member and advisor for the Ninja 250R Community.

Pemilihan Side-box dibanding Top Box merupakan pilihan yang baik disegi safety riding. Hal ini dikarenakan titik pusat massa motor ( centre of Gravity) tidak banyak mengalami perubahan berarti dibanding pemakaian Top Box yang berasa di buritan belakang bagian atas. kan tetapi alangkah baiknya bila pemasangannya tidak terlalu menggangu handling saat meliak-liuk, secara pemakaian side box akan memperlebar motor sehingga motor tidak akan leluasa untuk melakukan manufer. Akan lebih safety bila bagian Box terluarnya tidak lebih panjang atau sama dengan bagian terluar dari stang kemudi.

Side boxes have an advantage when compared to Top boxes from the perspective of safety. This is predominantly due to the insignificant difference in centre of gravity that occurs with side boxes in comparison to top boxes. [Paraphrased for coherence]However, keep in mind that having side boxes on the sides of your bike will increase its width, and in spite of better handling, it will considerably hinder the bike's ability for manouvers. For safety purposes, it is recommended to ensure that the outermost part of the box does not exceed the total span of the handlebars.

Varian V-35 menurut saya tidak seperti varian side box E-21, memiliki Kontur yang menarik pada bagian dasarnya meliuk dengan proposi bagian bawah lebih besar dibanding bagian atas. Hasil Riset Givi italia ini sepertinya benar-benar merujuk pada desain umumnya motor sport dimana body kiri-kanan biasanya memang menggembung ke luar, sehingga bila mengaplikasikan E-21 maka bagian bawah akan terlihat kosong, tidak seperti pengaplikasian V-35 yang akan membuat bagian bawah motor akan lebih berisi. Selain ity pembeda lainnya adalah, bila E-21 memiliki tutup di bagian Atas maka V-35 memiliki sistem buka-tutup layaknya Varian-varian Top Box yaitu seperti membelah box menjadi dua, alhasil box ini dapat memuat benda-benda yang memiliki dimensi Volum besar seperti Helm. E-21 tidak dapat memuat Helm. V-35 dilengkapi semacan Sabuk pengikat agar ketika tutup box dibuka barang bawaan tidak langsung buyar lepas. Pak Youk Juga menambahkan Busa bantalan pada dinding Box agar barang kesayangan yang disimpan dalam Box aman dari benturan, hmmm nice tips

The Varian V-35 is, in my opinion, unlike the varian side box E-21 which has an attractive contour, and is wider on the bottom than it is at the top. The result of Givi Italia's research seems to lean toward the general sport bike design, where the sides usually bulge out, such that the E-21 gives an "empty" look, unlike the V-35, which gives it a bulkier look. Aside from that, the E-21 has a cover on top, whereas the V-35 opens up [as shown in picture, rather difficult to translate how he describes the process] resulting in the ability to carry voluminous objects like a helmet (the E-21 cannot accommodate a helmet) The V-35 also has a safety belt which ensures that the contents don't fall out all at once. Youk also added foam padding in the walls of the box so that your belongings would be protected from impact, hmmm nice tips.

Bagaimana Pemasangannya ??. . . . Pak Youk membuat Modifikasi braket di tempat penguncian jok boncenger, ada penambahan pelat-strip disana . Setelah Pelat terpasang dilakukan pembalitan dengan menggunakan stiker karbon untuk mempermanis tampilan braket. Agar Braket Box lebih kokoh, dilakukan penambahan pegangan ke bagian foot spet belakang dari Motor. Hal ini juga biasa dilakukan pada pemasangan braket pada moge-moge sport. Akhir kata Pemakaian Side Box merupakan solusi jitu untuk mengatasi masalah barang bawaan karena lebih stabil bagi motor bila dibandingkan pemakaian Top Box.

Note: For this part, because it's really technical, and I'm not really a technical kind of guy, it might sound confusing. Please pardon the confusion of direct translation, hope it still makes an ounce of sense to you. I apologize in advance

So how do you put it on??.... Youk made a modifying bracket in the locking mechanism of the passenger seat, add an additional plate strip there. After the plate is installed, wrap it in carbon sticker [maybe he meant vinyl...?] to make it look better. To enhance its sturdiness, handles are attached to the rear foot pegs of the bike. This is also done to bracket installations for moge-moge sport [NO IDEA what this is lol] In conclusion, the usage of side boxes is an apropos solution to stabilize/maintain handling for the bike as opposed to using top boxes.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #29
hawkeye
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gio

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Oh man that was tough. I did my best, hope it was useful.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #30
slolane
Motorcyclist

Thanks so much, that was awesome!!

I'm trying to figure out going with the E21's or V35's... the 35's are much larger but with having the top case already that I leave on most of the time I would only need the sidebags for trips... at which point having the larger bags would really be great. Decisions, decisions...

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:52 PM   #31
slolane
Motorcyclist

I really like these mounts and the idea of having saddlebags but don't think I would use them enough.

I have decided to stick with the medium size trunk I have for now. Maybe get a large trunk later to mount the same way as my current one for long trips, etc. This works really well, is fairly cheap and easy to swap on/off as needed (between the stock seat, medium trunk mounted on seat pan and later a large trunk mounted on seat pan).

Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:41 PM   #32
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

Alternate translation from here.

Quote:
I've posted Ninja 250R article with a luggage box, complete with virtual picture from photo-shop. There was a major event in Jakarta last week, Motomaret, the authentic dealer of Givi and Nolan Helmet showing off a red Ninja 250R - similar design to Nolan helmet ( link: http://ninja250r.wordpress.com/2008/...rom-iims-2008/) -62 Melandri duplicate, complete with the gears. I was not able to witness it with my own eyes, and the pictures were provided by Haji Ato.

Finally, in the Event Touring Pelabuhan Ratu (Queen Port) Ninja 250R Community, I have witnessed it myself the application of the luggage Box Givi Varian V-35, attached on the left and right of the Body (Seat?) on a Ninja 250R owned by Mr. Bro Youk - a member and advisor of Ninja 250R Community.

The choice of Side-box compared to Top Box seems like a good choice in the Safety Riding perspective. This is because the center of the motor weight (center of Gravity) does not go through significant changes compare to Top Box uses (where it's felt significantly on the top back seat). However, it would be great if this installation would not disturb the handling while it maneuvers, the way the side box was used would widen the vehicle (handling?) that the vehicle would not be as free to maneuver. It'd be safer if the outside box did not come out further or even the same length of the outside steering.

In my opinion, Variance V-35 is not like Variance Side box E-21, it has an attractive shape, it is proportional with the bottom portion bigger than the top portion. The result of this Givi Italia research is tend to mimic the design of the common sport bike where the left and right body is usually floating/bloating out, thus, in the E-21 application the bottom portion seems like it's empty while the V-35 application seems like the bottom portion is fuller. Another difference is that E-21 has top cover yet V-35 has an open-close system like the Top Box variances that divides the box into two. V-35 is equipped with a safety belt so that when the box cover is opened the items inside don't just fly off. Mr. Youk also added pads on the side of Box so that his favorite items he keeps in the box are safe from bumps.

The helmet could fit inside the Side Box, this is couldn't be done with E-21. There is also an optional inner bag for V-35.

How do you install it? Mr. Youk made a modification bracket on the passenger seat lock, so there is an addition plate-strip. After the plate was installed, he wrapped it up with a carbon sticker to make it look nice. To strengthen the Box Bracket, he also added a carbon sticker to foot spot on the back of the bike. This is very common on the bracket installation on sport bikes. Final words, the Side Box installation seems like the best solution in you have carry-on items because this helps the bike to be more stable compare to the used of Top Box.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 06:02 PM   #33
slolane
Motorcyclist

I went with the E-21's, rather than duplicate things you can check out the thread HERE.