ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #1
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

2004 955i Triumph Speed Triple $4000 need advice

Hey, guys, need advice

Deal or no deal?

2004 955i Triumph Speed Triple
17K miles
Presumably good condition
$4000.

I really dont know anything about these bikes, but I love the way speed triple looks. Any advice? anything I should look for?
The bike is sold at a local dealer, and I have an appointment to go look at it on Tuesday.

FYI, I am planning on keeping the Ninjette.

Old April 19th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
hmmm.... wish I knew more about these bikes because that can is HUGE! I would ask for $3500 just because it would have to be replaced.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #3
koenigcitizen

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
hmmm.... wish I knew more about these bikes because that can is HUGE! I would ask for $3500 just because it would have to be replaced.
Replaced for "aesthetic" reasons? Is that a stock can on that bike?

Old April 19th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I've always liked these bikes more than any other and have been looking at them for a long time. The price is about spot on for a dealership and the condition it is in. I'm definitely no expert in pricing so if someone could verify this, that would be great but the price sounds almost exactly right to me.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by koenigcitizen View Post
Replaced for "aesthetic" reasons? Is that a stock can on that bike?
Yea "aestetics" mostly, some tracks might complain that it sticks out beyond the rear wheel to much. No tracks... no problem. Looks like the stock can to me.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Z-Trob
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 99 250, 06 Speed Triple, 2009 husky 510SMR

looks pretty nice. i've never ridden the 955 but its pretty close to the 1050 really. 4k isn't really the greatest price. tell them you're thinking 3500, but with a dealer you need to be prepared to haggle.

the 955 never really had many problems, and 2004 is the last year of that motor so most of the kinks are worked out. the bikes are amazing. gobs of arm pulling torque that even make driving around town fun.

Old April 19th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #7
koenigcitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Trob View Post
looks pretty nice. i've never ridden the 955 but its pretty close to the 1050 really. 4k isn't really the greatest price. tell them you're thinking 3500, but with a dealer you need to be prepared to haggle.

the 955 never really had many problems, and 2004 is the last year of that motor so most of the kinks are worked out. the bikes are amazing. gobs of arm pulling torque that even make driving around town fun.
Thank you for your reply! Are Triumphs expensive in maintenance?

Old April 19th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #8
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

i have 2 friedns i used to ride with that had daytona 955s great motors they loved their triumphs
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #9
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '04 Aprilia RSV, '10 Bonneville, '10 Ninjette

I've owned three Sprints (six Triumphs total), which share the same motor. Two with the 955 motor and one with the 1050.

The 955 motor is pretty well sorted out, and 2004 is just about the last year it was used, so it should have all the kinks worked out. I'd have no reservations about the reliability of those engines. I'm not sure what the valve check interval is, so I'd ask the dealer when the last check was. It'll probably be due for one somewhere in the low 20k mile range.

The price seems ok, but those bikes are a bit rarer than Jap bikes. The Roulette Green is a pretty hard to find and tends to be a popular color, so they have some incentive to not lower the price. Blue Book is $4,600, but like somebody else said, I'd offer lower and see if you can bargain with them. Maybe you can get a lower price or a new exhaust thrown in or something.

If you get it, it'll put a huge smile on your face. That motor produces plenty of useable power all over the rev range. And the Speed Triple is consistently reviewed as one of the most fun bikes to ride.

I actually just sold my 250 and am fighting a losing battle to put my money in savings instead of getting a Speed Triple 1050 or another 675.

Old April 20th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #10
koenigcitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrain View Post
I've owned three Sprints (six Triumphs total), which share the same motor. Two with the 955 motor and one with the 1050.

The 955 motor is pretty well sorted out, and 2004 is just about the last year it was used, so it should have all the kinks worked out. I'd have no reservations about the reliability of those engines. I'm not sure what the valve check interval is, so I'd ask the dealer when the last check was. It'll probably be due for one somewhere in the low 20k mile range.

The price seems ok, but those bikes are a bit rarer than Jap bikes. The Roulette Green is a pretty hard to find and tends to be a popular color, so they have some incentive to not lower the price. Blue Book is $4,600, but like somebody else said, I'd offer lower and see if you can bargain with them. Maybe you can get a lower price or a new exhaust thrown in or something.

If you get it, it'll put a huge smile on your face. That motor produces plenty of useable power all over the rev range. And the Speed Triple is consistently reviewed as one of the most fun bikes to ride.

I actually just sold my 250 and am fighting a losing battle to put my money in savings instead of getting a Speed Triple 1050 or another 675.
Thank you so much for your reply! Very good info.

My biggest con is that it seems really huge upgrade. My experience is about 4000 miles in the last 6 months on my 250, and that is a big jump. I don't want to get in over my head

I am afraid when I get there, I will make a hot headed decision, and be like "OMG WHER DO I SIGN?!11? I WANTZ EEEET!!!!"

Old April 20th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #11
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenigcitizen View Post
Thank you so much for your reply! Very good info.

My biggest con is that it seems really huge upgrade. My experience is about 4000 miles in the last 6 months on my 250, and that is a big jump. I don't want to get in over my head

I am afraid when I get there, I will make a hot headed decision, and be like "OMG WHER DO I SIGN?!11? I WANTZ EEEET!!!!"
Well it is a pretty powerful bike. It's not an R1 or anything, but still a huge step over the 250. One of the benefits of it is that the seating position is a lot closer to the 250 than a super sport, which should make it an easier transition.

I don't want to get into a beginner bike debate, but of you have 4k miles under your belt and you feel confident in your abilities, then I think you'll be fine.

The triple is a great motor because it has plenty of bottom end, so if you're riding in traffic or in the city, you aren't so uncomfortable, but it still has plenty of power up top (although without the massive top end power surge like an inline 4).

Just take it easy and enjoy it if you get it. Then ride up to Philly and let me take it for a spin

Old April 20th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Z-Trob
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 99 250, 06 Speed Triple, 2009 husky 510SMR

Just like has been said. this bike is not "surprising" the way an I4 might be. i was in a very similar position as you are now. having only ridden a 250 ninja, i saw a used speed triple at the dealer, sat on it, HEARD it (sounds sexy), and that was all it took. when i picked the bike up I rode around the lot a few times learning the clutch and throttle before i rode her home. you will quickly find this bike does not need much throttle input and that you can go pretty fast even when shifting at 3k.
there are plenty of ponies, but its incredibly smooth in delivering them. its not an intimidating bike, just take it slow first.
as far as expenses:
if you can do most of your own work or know somebody who wont rip you off, they are just like any other bike... although you might go through fork seals quickly, wheelies are really fun.

Old April 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #13
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Hey Andrei, did you wind up buying?

I lost my battle of willpower and bought an '07 Roulette Green S3. A friend of mine is picking it up for me tomorrow in Iowa, then I'm flying out in a week or two and riding it home. I can't wait to get back on 3 cylinders!

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:22 AM   #14
koenigcitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrain View Post
Hey Andrei, did you wind up buying?

I lost my battle of willpower and bought an '07 Roulette Green S3. A friend of mine is picking it up for me tomorrow in Iowa, then I'm flying out in a week or two and riding it home. I can't wait to get back on 3 cylinders!
Hey, I was there to buy it, cash in hand and everything. After I rode it (they felt comfortable enough to let me take it for a spin), I called the guy who works on my bike to schedule time to bring Triumph in so he could look it over. My guy (kawasaki technician) said that he does not know much about Triumphs and will not work on it. I called two more dealers in the area, and they told me the same thing. They will not work on it. The closest Triumph dealer to me is about an hour and a half away... So that basically made my decision against buying that bike. I don't want to be stuck with a bike that needs work in the middle of the summer. If I owned a truck and a trailer, maybe it would have been different...

Still looking for my new bike

Enjoy yours! They are really awesome bikes!

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:39 AM   #15
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Yeah, I understand that. For the most part, they don't require any really out of the ordinary maintenance (oil, filter, brakes, chain, etc), but you don't want to get caught with something less general and have no one to work on it.

Between the 6 Triumphs I've had, the only non-basic work I had was a problem with the 1050 Sprint starting. It's a bit of a known issue with those bikes. Thankfully, I have a pretty local Triumph dealer who I'm very happy with. They got it squared away, and even got it done under warranty. But if they weren't there, I'd have been up a creek.

Good luck with whatever you wind up choosing!

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:53 AM   #16
davenay67
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Goldwing GL1800, 2002 Ninja 250, 2001 VFR800, 1999 Ducati 996

I'm a little late to the party, but I'll throw my 2c in the ring in any case.

I owned a 955 Triumph in the form of a 2002 Daytona. Like everyone has mentioned, the power is not overwhelming (the Speed Triple is much less powerful than the Daytona....shockingly so having ridden both back to back, but the torque on both is wicked fun).

They are easy to ride; handle well, brake well and provide awesome MPG for a big bike.

Build quality is fantastic, reliabilty is really good too. The only problem I had with mine (and they all suffer from this) is the crappy plastic fuel quick-disconnects. I did myself a favor and bought steel quick-disconnects on BOTH the tank and fuel line....the Triumph recall fix still used plastic on one side.

Maintenance is easy too. Just need a balancer to sync the FI and an accurate verneir caliper to measure valve lash shims.....once adjusted they tend to stay that way for a VERY long time. I only needed 1 valve adjustment in 20,000 miles.
davenay67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:25 AM   #17
koenigcitizen

Just an update if anyone is still following this...

As of yesterday, proud owner of a 2009 Yamaha FZ6 with 700 miles on the clock

Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Vergil
Laser Quest

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Black Ninja 250r

Congrats!
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote