ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old August 16th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

First ride through the twisties

Well, I finally hit 600 miles on my Ninja and took 'er out to celebrate by hitting some twisties just now.

I cannot explain in words how awesome it felt. It was as if the bike wanted this as badly as I did and wanted to let of some steam after a relatively tame 600 miles.

It really came alive in the corners; the engine burbling under decel as I bang down through the gears and screaming through the power band as I accelerate out. I'm really glad I played around with rev matching during the break-in. I can't imagine any other fun way of downshifting in the twisties. Can't wait to do that circuit again when the sun's up.

In short, an excellent break-in period getting to know the bike which culminated in a fun night out.

However, it wasn't without its downsides:
1) Lack of power. Acceleration out of the corner wasn't very exciting.
2) Front brake was very vague and imo very weak (I wasn't confident using the front brake alone).
3) The stock tires are rubbish. Road feel was nonexistent, almost felt like something was between rubber and asphalt.
4) Handlebar/foot pegs position in the tuck is horrible.

Most of these are easily resolved... but maybe its a more fundamental issue where my mindset is shifting towards a race orientation rather than the street.

I finally let the bike out today and came home with the bittersweet conclusion that I might just be ready for a step up.

Too soon to think that?
Absolutely.
Am I going to act on that impulse?
Nope (Not yet at least).
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old August 16th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
Well, I finally hit 600 miles on my Ninja and took 'er out to celebrate by hitting some twisties just now.

I cannot explain in words how awesome it felt. It was as if the bike wanted this as badly as I did and wanted to let of some steam after a relatively tame 600 miles.

It really came alive in the corners; the engine burbling under decel as I bang down through the gears and screaming through the power band as I accelerate out. I'm really glad I played around with rev matching during the break-in. I can't imagine any other fun way of downshifting in the twisties. Can't wait to do that circuit again when the sun's up.

In short, an excellent break-in period getting to know the bike which culminated in a fun night out.

However, it wasn't without its downsides:
1) Lack of power. Acceleration out of the corner wasn't very exciting.
2) Front brake was very vague and imo very weak (I wasn't confident using the front brake alone).
3) The stock tires are rubbish. Road feel was nonexistent, almost felt like something was between rubber and asphalt.
4) Handlebar/foot pegs position in the tuck is horrible.

Most of these are easily resolved... but maybe its a more fundamental issue where my mindset is shifting towards a race orientation rather than the street.

I finally let the bike out today and came home with the bittersweet conclusion that I might just be ready for a step up.

Too soon to think that?
Absolutely.
Nope (Not yet at least).
under Power? Sounds like you are not in the right gear.
The stock tires are very nice but if you start getting close to the limit of them you are going way to fast for the street.
I am glad you had some fun and had a good celebration of your 600 mile stone.

Old August 16th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #3
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
under Power? Sounds like you are not in the right gear.
The stock tires are very nice but if you start getting close to the limit of them you are going way to fast for the street.
I am glad you had some fun and had a good celebration of your 600 mile stone.
Thanks!

I don't mean under power as in, the engine was lugging or having trouble getting me moving. It was just this feeling of not hitting that exit speed fast enough. Nothing mechanical, just in my head. It was as if I was anticipating too far ahead of the bike.

I concede that I did go too fast through those roads. I'd like to think that it was controlled aggression, I was always within the limits of the brakes, tires and my abilities on an empty road (in fact, zero cars were on that road).

Sure... if that butterfly in South America flapped its wings a moment sooner things might have ended differently. As it stands, the experience bag just got a little heavier.

Old August 16th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:

Too soon to think that?
Absolutely.
Nope (Not yet at least).
After 600 miles on two wheels? I think you're going to find a number of "a-ha's" over the next few thousand miles, as your skills continue to grow. At 1000, at 5000, at 10000, at 25000. @Rojo's videos can help with the understanding that it's not the bike. Keep in mind this is a 250, going uphill, with no issues keeping a more than respectable speed compared to any other bike on the road.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.

(from this thread)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #5
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
After 600 miles on two wheels? I think you're going to find a number of "a-ha's" over the next few thousand miles, as your skills continue to grow. At 1000, at 5000, at 10000, at 25000.
Thanks for the links! Awesome vids and certainly adds perspective in terms of how far one can hone their skills.

I definitely don't plan on jumping ship and can't wait to continue experimenting and pushing myself on the 300.

Old August 17th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Keep the revs up…10-11k. That's where the bike makes power. If you're trying to drive out of the corners at 5k you're doing yourself a disservice.

AreaP full exhaust and appropriate fueling adjustments are WELL worth it.

Don't move up yet. You'll get the power you crave but the true thrill is in nailing the corner, not speed. As in, truly mastering the skill of riding is more satisfying than sheer acceleration. Any idiot can turn a throttle. It takes a real rider to handle curves.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.........It really came alive in the corners; the engine burbling under decel as I bang down through the gears and screaming through the power band as I accelerate out. I'm really glad I played around with rev matching during the break-in.......
This is poetry, Adi !!!

Now that your speed and confidence is growing, you have the survival responsibility (associated to speed) of working hard on the next step: to become proficient in emergency maneuvers: quick swerving and stopping from any speed and lean angle.

How?
Read these articles and practice much:

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...?showtopic=109

http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=1

http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=2
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #9
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Name: mitch

Motorcycle(s): Green Ninja 250 2008!!!!

Quote:
Thanks!

I don't mean under power as in, the engine was lugging or having trouble getting me moving. It was just this feeling of not hitting that exit speed fast enough. Nothing mechanical, just in my head. It was as if I was anticipating too far ahead of the bike.

I concede that I did go too fast through those roads. I'd like to think that it was controlled aggression, I was always within the limits of the brakes, tires and my abilities on an empty road (in fact, zero cars were on that road).

Sure... if that butterfly in South America flapped its wings a moment sooner things might have ended differently. As it stands, the experience bag just got a little heavier.
Unless you were exciting at 100 MPH, there was no lack of power, you just werent pushing it hard enough.

Imo don't speed in twisties after 600 miles on a bike
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #10
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I'm not sure where you rode. There are only a few sections of road around our parts where these bikes feel pretty slow. Anything over 60 going uphill. So the first set of corners going towards moraga on redwood road. Bear creek road isn't ninjette friendly either. Although that road requires 120 mph speeds to be fun and more often than not there are cops on that road 9 times out of 10. Why people speed there makes no sense to me but whatever. I guess going up Hamilton on the San Jose side I could use an extra 20 or 15 hp. Other than that, the roads are pretty tight and your bike makes quite a bit more power than mine so it should be perfect.

The stock front brake is pretty lame on the 300. Pad change will help that.

Who knows maybe you're like me when I had less than 400 miles under my belt

I've been wanting to ride all week so lets go tomorrow. It's going to be pretty hot tomorrow so the earlier the better.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #11
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
I'm not sure where you rode. There are only a few sections of road around our parts where these bikes feel pretty slow. Anything over 60 going uphill. So the first set of corners going towards moraga on redwood road. Bear creek road isn't ninjette friendly either. Although that road requires 120 mph speeds to be fun and more often than not there are cops on that road 9 times out of 10. Why people speed there makes no sense to me but whatever. I guess going up Hamilton on the San Jose side I could use an extra 20 or 15 hp. Other than that, the roads are pretty tight and your bike makes quite a bit more power than mine so it should be perfect.

The stock front brake is pretty lame on the 300. Pad change will help that.

Who knows maybe you're like me when I had less than 400 miles under my belt

I've been wanting to ride all week so lets go tomorrow. It's going to be pretty hot tomorrow so the earlier the better.
The ride was up Claremont/Grizzly Peak Blvd, so the uphill would certainly be a factor. I was riding in the 45-55 mph range, given that it was at night and my first run through Claremont.

Early ride sounds good.

Old August 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #12
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
This is poetry, Adi !!!

Now that your speed and confidence is growing, you have the survival responsibility (associated to speed) of working hard on the next step: to become proficient in emergency maneuvers: quick swerving and stopping from any speed and lean angle.

How?
Read these articles and practice much:

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...?showtopic=109

http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=1

http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=2
Helpful, as always Hernan!

I did spy some raccoons on the side of the road eagerly discussing the prospect of running me off.