ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 21st, 2014, 03:38 PM   #1
jenkem
ninjette.org member

Name: really

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250

My streetfighter conversion

So I've had this 2007 Ninja 250 for a little while now, and I was in the mood for a change of style.
I stumbled across this guy's build and thought it was all kinds of sexy, so I used it as my main source of inspiration.

here she is when i first got her.

in her latest iteration

I ripped the speedometer and temperature gauge from the old dash and fashioned a new housing from a tin can and a jam jar. However, I've since ordered a trailtech vapor that should be here in a few days.

my tail mount. Pretty easy to make. Got the metal from home depot, bent and cut it to shape, and mounted it with Jbweld. it's sturdy, light, and full of holes for versatile mounting. My blinkers are plugged into the sides and I attached my old tailight and license plate with zipties while I wait for my led light to ship from amazon. needs to be spray painted

potential plans for trimming the side fairings.

sooo yeah. Tell me what you guys think! I'm only a few days into this and I imagine it's going to change a bit more over the next couple of weeks.
I only had a hacksaw for the cutting, so the detabbing isn't as clean as it could have been. I plan on borrowing a friend's dremel to finish it off and make it look nice. However, after spray painting it, you can barely notice the nubs from a few feet away.
jenkem is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old February 21st, 2014, 03:39 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 04:09 PM   #3
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Nice job! I really like it.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 04:33 PM   #4
jenkem
ninjette.org member

thank you!
I've got some fork boots that I'm too lazy to put on, as well as a steel brake line and new calipers.
I plan on eventually swapping out the shocks for that of the newer gen ninja.

Old February 21st, 2014, 05:07 PM   #5
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Needs dirt handle bars

Old February 21st, 2014, 06:59 PM   #6
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Not sure that JB weld is going to hold up to what it's subjected to.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 07:32 PM   #7
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

looks cool. Nice naked fighter look . jack up the back end

and be warned JB WELD IS NOT STRUCTURAL !!!!! PLEASE FIND A FRIEND WITH A WELDER !!!!!! AND WELD IT >>> very resourceful though.... I wish you wouldve found a crashed bike to chop up haha..

but you are making it your own.

ride safe
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 09:05 PM   #8
jenkem
ninjette.org member

I know, I had a few moments where I felt a little bad about hacking her up. Riding is awesome though. Loving the open feel of no fairings. Feels more raw.
And I was totally skeptical about the jbweld. I'm going to keep an eye on it, see how it holds up with time and all of the vibrations, but so far I'm thoroughly impressed with its strength. I've picked up the back end with it and drilled the holes for the turn signals wider and it was solid. I figure the weight of the taillight shouldn't be a problem (the seat doesn't actually rest on it, there's a 2 mm or so gap).

Old February 21st, 2014, 09:13 PM   #9
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

what headlight did you use/ what mounts?
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 10:04 PM   #10
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Very nice, I like the way it looks. All it needs is some new bars either straight bar (like a dirt bike) or some clip ons would do a lot to the way the bike looks and feels to ride. I'd recommend dirt bars though since those are more comfortable for every day riding.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 10:16 PM   #11
jenkem
ninjette.org member

I considered clip-ons but read that there are clearance issues with the tank. How would the dirt bars affect the handling? That's something I'd need to feel out in person before I made the commitment. I've never actually been on a dirt bike before (though I really want to, not sure how to get into that kind of hobby on a budget).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalv View Post
what headlight did you use/ what mounts?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But if I could do it again, I would much rather get this. the black paint isn't worth the price premium. Unfortunately I didn't see the cheaper one until a little while later.
Our forks are 36 mm, so I went with the 35-43mm brackets, but after installing them, I think you might be okay with the 28-34mm ones. Mine aren't loose, but I think it would look better if the mounting point made more contact with the fork.

Old February 21st, 2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
It's basically the opposite of clip-ons. clip-ons put you in a more agressive position which sacrifices low speed maneuverability in favor of a better position for high speed cornering when you're hunched over and such. dirt bars give you great leverage for low speed stuff but in comparison to the stock bars it actually improves your body positioning in terms of higher speed cornering as well. They're the superior bars for all around use, pretty much all of the naked bikes (triumph street triple, yamaha fz-9/mt-9, etc) use bars that are similar to dirt bars because they're the superior all around handlebars.

Old February 22nd, 2014, 05:38 AM   #13
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkem View Post
I considered clip-ons but read that there are clearance issues with the tank. How would the dirt bars affect the handling? That's something I'd need to feel out in person before I made the commitment. I've never actually been on a dirt bike before (though I really want to, not sure how to get into that kind of hobby on a budget).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But if I could do it again, I would much rather get this. the black paint isn't worth the price premium. Unfortunately I didn't see the cheaper one until a little while later.
Our forks are 36 mm, so I went with the 35-43mm brackets, but after installing them, I think you might be okay with the 28-34mm ones. Mine aren't loose, but I think it would look better if the mounting point made more contact with the fork.
Dirt bars are by far the single best upgrade I have made to my bike in regards to handling. been running a set of ricky carmichael pro taper bars on pro taper risers for about 2 years now, makes it alot more fun and maneuverable at low speeds
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:22 AM   #14
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

I've done both. Clip-ons will not hit the tank if you angle them right, and dirt bars give a different wrist angle and wider stance, making the steering more sensitive. Depends on your taste. One benefit of tubular bars is the amazing choice in shapes and widths.

Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:59 PM   #15
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagobob View Post
I've done both. Clip-ons will not hit the tank if you angle them right, and dirt bars give a different wrist angle and wider stance, making the steering more sensitive. Depends on your taste. One benefit of tubular bars is the amazing choice in shapes and widths.

Lawd all mighty......that is a gorgeous bilke!!!
trugracie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:01 PM   #16
trugracie
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

Looks very nice "jenkem"!!!
Do you guys feel any tremendous difference on highway speeds without the fairings?
trugracie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2014, 10:09 PM   #17
jenkem
ninjette.org member

Well I'm completely sold on the idea of dirt bars. After I get the stuff I've already ordered on and save up some money, that'll be the next little project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trugracie View Post
Lawd all mighty......that is a gorgeous bilke!!!
I know right. It just works so well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trugracie View Post
Looks very nice "jenkem"!!!
Do you guys feel any tremendous difference on highway speeds without the fairings?
Not really. It's more buffeting at first, but I got used to it after about a day of riding. I get the same speeds when I tuck down, which I had to do before anyways.
It also feels more agile at slower speeds. A bit lighter and more flick-able. Not sure how much of that is a placebo, but chicagobob mentioned removing about 30 pounds, most of it from the top of the bike.

Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:07 AM   #18
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
^ The pregen stock windscreen doesn't really do much anyway so the difference is fairly minimal. If it were from a touring bike w/a massive screen to a naked style then the difference would be very noticeable. As for the more agile at slower speeds that makes sense when you think about the sheer amount of weight that you've taken off of the bike, every gram makes a difference and those differences add up quick.

Old February 23rd, 2014, 01:07 AM   #19
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

Replace those mirrors!Bar end mirrors wold look so much better.

Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:29 PM   #20
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Might think about doing this to the back to hide the frame a little more.

agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:29 PM   #21
jenkem
ninjette.org member

While I love the idea of doing a complete cafe racer conversion(laziness and a budget are the only things stopping me) I personally really like the look of the exposed frame under the seat. I might eventually start chipping further into the bike. Maybe replace the airbox with pods, budge the battery a bit further in, and so forth, in order to create more empty space beneath the bike.

On another note, the trailtech vapor/dash just came in, and the rear shock of a ninja 300 should be here in a day or so. I'm kind of enjoying the riding side of owning a motorcycle so I'm procrastinating installing everything for a bit.
I'm wondering if it might be a bad idea to stiffen the rear suspension without doing anything to the front? Would any improvements just flip flop on me and turn into a badly balanced bike?

and here's another picture. If you click on it you'll get a higher resolution and you can see where I mounted the rectifier underneath the brake fluid reservoir.

Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:34 PM   #22
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
While I love the idea of doing a complete cafe racer conversion(laziness and a budget are the only things stopping me) I personally really like the look of the exposed frame under the seat. I might eventually start chipping further into the bike. Maybe replace the airbox with pods, budge the battery a bit further in, and so forth, in order to create more empty space beneath the bike.

On another note, the trailtech vapor/dash just came in, and the rear shock of a ninja 300 should be here in a day or so. I'm kind of enjoying the riding side of owning a motorcycle so I'm procrastinating installing everything for a bit.
I'm wondering if it might be a bad idea to stiffen the rear suspension without doing anything to the front? Would an improvements just flip flop on me and turn into a badly balanced bike?
I don't think it will hurt anything it will just make the sogginess of the front suspension more noticeable. I actually have a 300 shock waiting to go in as well but my carbs started acting crazy so I fixed that first.

Old February 24th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #23
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletmo View Post
Replace those mirrors!Bar end mirrors wold look so much better.
We built this bike for a 17-year-old new rider, so we liked the idea of the giant safety mirrors. Looks more motard than cafe, but works.

Old February 24th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #24
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

I'm wondering if it might be a bad idea to stiffen the rear suspension without doing anything to the front? Would any improvements just flip flop on me and turn into a badly balanced bike?

and here's another picture. If you click on it you'll get a higher resolution and you can see where I mounted the rectifier underneath the brake fluid reservoir.
Be sure the electrical connection is sealed against moisture in that location. That's been a problem with the 650r, which has the R/R mounted just in front of the rear wheel.

Old February 24th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #25
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagobob View Post
We built this bike for a 17-year-old new rider, so we liked the idea of the giant safety mirrors. Looks more motard than cafe, but works.
I agree. I've had barend mirrors, and they may be more "cafe" but they aren't that great as far as usefulness compared to a higher mounted standard mirror.

Especially in heavier traffic areas like around Chicago (lived there for 20 years) you need to be able to keep your head and eyes up and be able to get a good view from your mirrors quickly. The barends also add width - which isn't very handy at times either.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:24 PM   #26
jenkem
ninjette.org member

I've been really busy with school and the only thing I've had time for was swapping in the ninja 300 shock.
By far the easiest, cheapest, and best upgrade you can do to this bike. Took about 15 or so minutes and the change is noticeable the second your butt hits the seat. It feels way more planted and capable while riding, like I was riding a new bike. I'm absolutely thrilled with the improvements and I'm ordering some stiffer springs for the forks as soon as I can.

Also I half installed the vapor gauge. I've got it mounted to the handlebars with the included plastic mount and the speedometer set up, but that's it. It's been raining a lot lately and I was pretty nervous, but I haven't had any electrical issues so far. A spot on the rear frame that I didn't paint rusted in about 2 seconds though.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:35 PM   #27
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
How many miles do you have? Just saw this thread again and realized how clean this bike is!!!

Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:52 PM   #28
jenkem
ninjette.org member

Yeeaahh it looks better in person. I probably shouldn't have filled the first post with close ups of my sketchy diy jobs. it's at about 14,000 miles

Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:53 AM   #29
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I've been really busy with school and the only thing I've had time for was swapping in the ninja 300 shock.
By far the easiest, cheapest, and best upgrade you can do to this bike. Took about 15 or so minutes and the change is noticeable the second your butt hits the seat. It feels way more planted and capable while riding, like I was riding a new bike. I'm absolutely thrilled with the improvements and I'm ordering some stiffer springs for the forks as soon as I can.

Also I half installed the vapor gauge. I've got it mounted to the handlebars with the included plastic mount and the speedometer set up, but that's it. It's been raining a lot lately and I was pretty nervous, but I haven't had any electrical issues so far. A spot on the rear frame that I didn't paint rusted in about 2 seconds though.
If you still have the stock dash indicator lights, they will plug right into Trail Techs dash surround for the Vapor, so it's a quick swap. The only other connections are the power, tach (with a resistor) and ground.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:21 AM   #30
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
It's looking good!

Old March 4th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #31
jenkem
ninjette.org member

Before I bought the trailtech I cut some of the dash wires messing around with diy configurations, so I had to rewire everything, which was easy but annoying.
But the dash is mounted, everything's plugged in, the wires are tucked away, and the front is nearly how I want it.
I painted the bottom edge of the middle fairing black and I like the way it smoothed out the lines. However, I'm still not sure how I feel about the overall look. I'm still waiting on a dremel to trim the front fender, which will hopefully pull it all together.

I copied chicagobob's mount location for the vapor, but since I'm a lazy bastard lacking professionalism, I just attacked it with jbweld.

I'm still waiting on my rear light/license plate mount to ship from china, so I'm using a portion of the original rear light and some zipties to keep me "legal."
legal being very subjective considering the angle of the plate, but I haven't been pulled over yet..

Thoughts? I also have some high heat black spray paint for the headers/exhaust. I'm not sure how I'm going to go with the overall color scheme. Overall black/blue, or maybe paint the rims white, sand the headers shiny and clear coat it. rim tape?

Old March 5th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #32
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
JB Weld might not hold it well.

Old March 5th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I got nothing to add here aside of good work and that jenkem's avatar is awesome!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #34
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Looks great! I wish mine had silver wheels and no rim tape.

I trimmed my front fender with a Sawzall (with a fine-tooth blade) and a belt sander. I wanted to remove the strange part that wraps around the fork sliders, and a Dremel seemed too tedious. You can remove the fender without removing the wheel, if you have good fingers.

Tape it, mark it with a Sharpie, clamp it down somewhere, and cut away.

Here's mine, before I painted the remaining mounting flange black:

Old March 5th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #35
jenkem
ninjette.org member

hmmm. Ive never actually worked with a dremel. I've got a couple hand saws that are great for straight lines but can veer off unexpectedly when attempting curves. I'll start asking around for a sawzall instead, but I already feel that I'm just going to end up hacking away at it with the hand saw.
In other news, I'm totally loving the rear shock, and I've ordered some sonic springs and racetech emulators. I've definitely stretched my budget with that last purchase, but I plan on keeping this bike for a while, so better now than later when I'll just kick myself for not doing it earlier.

Old March 5th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #36
min nin
ninjette.org member

Name: terry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Chicagobob,
That front fender looks great.

Min nin.
min nin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #37
dukeswift
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 02 Aprilia RS70 97 Ninja 250

Man, cover that back end!
dukeswift is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #38
jenkem
ninjette.org member

Allllright
I've been tinkering these past few months and the bike is slowly getting closer and closer to my imagined goal.
I was in a bit of a tumble that provided opportunity for some woodcraft lowered risers and I absolutely love the way they feel.
I also finally got around to installing the racetech emulators and sonic springs. The result isn't what I expected. I thought it would feel overly stiff and aggressive until I got used to it and learned to love it(cough woodcraft risers cough). Instead, it just feels totally sophisticated and as if it should have been this way the whole time. It's kind of bizarre actually, how it feels both stiffer and smoother at the same time. Tangibly more planted through corners, soaks up bumps like a dream.

next step is to finally install the new brake pads and steel lines

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:19 AM   #39
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

I have to get me one of those front stands. Nice work. You don't really need the steel lines for the back brakes IMO but it works wonders on the front.

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #40
jenkem
ninjette.org member

Had a close call with a spider living in the bark but we're homies now.

And yeah good catch, I'm only planning on doing the front.

If anyone's wondering, I managed to get the damper rods out with a mini golf putter I drunkenly took home a few years ago. The rubber handle gripped it like it was born to.