"You can't outrun a Motorola."
Some may beg to differ...

Red250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #42
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I've personally witnessed police pursue a moto at very high speeds. It while driving with my family on Hwy 5 and a Yamaha literbike ( FZR1000 ? ) screamed by at way over 150mph, then followed by 2 CHP officers going as fast as their cars could go ( ~ 145 mph ). Traffic was light so they felt safe in pursuing. I later saw the same bike flash by heading in the opposite direction on Hwy 5 , then it screamed past me one more time with the CHP still in pursuit. I don't know the final outcome but I suspect the biker got away as the gap continued to increase.

Old May 29th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #43
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
I've personally witnessed police pursue a moto at very high speeds. It while driving with my family on Hwy 5 and a Yamaha literbike ( FZR1000 ? ) screamed by at way over 150mph, then followed by 2 CHP officers going as fast as their cars could go ( ~ 145 mph ). Traffic was light so they felt safe in pursuing. I later saw the same bike flash by heading in the opposite direction on Hwy 5 , then it screamed past me one more time with the CHP still in pursuit. I don't know the final outcome but I suspect the biker got away as the gap continued to increase.
Is it wrong that I find myself always routing for the bikes when they are fleeing the cops? Lol

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 29th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #44
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^ nah that's human nature at work. I fight preconception every day and more importantly on the weekends when I ride, and slowly winning them over one victory at a time.

Unfortunately in the eyes of the masses, power lies in perception not education.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 01:03 AM   #45
PHMCS
Phoenix Salvage

Name: Mac

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Definitely false, especially towards the end of the month. If anything, a motorcycle, especially a non-cruiser, around here will get far more scrutiny than anything else. The only ticket I've ever gotten was for speeding in a 45 > 30 > 45 transition not more than 10 secs after being passed in a no passing zone and left behind by a new Camaro, in sight of the cops.
PHMCS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 05:35 AM   #46
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Oh and here's a video from the plane: http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/high...tricks/vCZCP6/
thats ridiculous. What a waste of gas and resources.

lets waste our time following this guy, lets call in other units to physically approach his residence, ask for his id cos we have nothing else to do and give him a verbal warning.

I Wonder if i was being followed while speeding out in teh countryside. I was a good 20-30miles out and realized there was a chopper behind me..decided to go around my home, surely enough chopper was still behind me..Never got approached though D:
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 05:44 AM   #47
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I think it also depends on where you live.

a lot of municipalities have "no-pursuit" policies where officers are told not to engage in high-speed chases due to the risk to the fleeing driver, officer, and general public.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 06:05 AM   #48
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
thats ridiculous. What a waste of gas and resources.

lets waste our time following this guy, lets call in other units to physically approach his residence, ask for his id cos we have nothing else to do and give him a verbal warning.

I Wonder if i was being followed while speeding out in teh countryside. I was a good 20-30miles out and realized there was a chopper behind me..decided to go around my home, surely enough chopper was still behind me..Never got approached though D:
Except it wasn't just a verbal warning. They arrested him and convicted him of a misdemeanor. The dumbass showed absolutely no remorse for his actions, but the local publicity probably made other riders think twice about doing dumb **** on public roads around here.

I don't know about where you live, but there are signs on highways everywhere around here that say "speed enforced by aircraft." I never really though much of them since I'd never personally seen any patrolling aircraft that I've been aware of. Apparently they actually do that once in a while. Not really wasted money if that was the whole purpose of the aircraft to begin with.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 06:18 AM   #49
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Except it wasn't just a verbal warning. They arrested him and convicted him of a misdemeanor. The dumbass showed absolutely no remorse for his actions, but the local publicity probably made other riders think twice about doing dumb **** on public roads around here.

I don't know about where you live, but there are signs on highways everywhere around here that say "speed enforced by aircraft." I never really though much of them since I'd never personally seen any patrolling aircraft that I've been aware of. Apparently they actually do that once in a while. Not really wasted money if that was the whole purpose of the aircraft to begin with.
a simple camera placed at x location that records the speed/plate to send to a Database for the local pd/government to send x person a ticket would not only save money but be much more effective imo.

Old May 31st, 2014, 06:54 AM   #50
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
a simple camera placed at x location that records the speed/plate to send to a Database for the local pd/government to send x person a ticket would not only save money but be much more effective imo.
The idea of speeding cameras on a 6-8 lane freeway in the Bay Area is laughable.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 08:57 AM   #51
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The idea of speeding cameras on a 6-8 lane freeway in the Bay Area is laughable.
the technology is definitely there..Hell, police are driving around collecting everyones license plates just by driving around >_>

we have drones that can fly around the world and kill anyone, cars that can drive themselves and detect possible threats around them, but the idea of camera tracking @ 60+mph is laughable? Come on now.

Old May 31st, 2014, 10:59 AM   #52
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

Quote:
Welcome to Australia haha,
Speed cameras everywhere, some mobile some fixed, (and of plenty of handhelds too.)

First thing you know is a $150-300 fine in the mail and 2-6 demerit points.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 12:27 PM   #53
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
the technology is definitely there..Hell, police are driving around collecting everyones license plates just by driving around >_>

we have drones that can fly around the world and kill anyone, cars that can drive themselves and detect possible threats around them, but the idea of camera tracking @ 60+mph is laughable? Come on now.
I don't think the laughable part is about the lack of adequate technology. I feel that the camera would break though due to taking photos in rapid fire since no one would be traveling within 12mph of the speed limit
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 12:37 PM   #54
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
As with everything, it depends on the individual cop. I've got several local cop friends who don't even attempt to go after a sportbike and their supers tell them not to. I had a cop once pull me over and tell me he's usually pretty lenient with bikes (and he let me go with a warning). I do honestly think that a female rider has a bit of an advantage. Honestly every cop who has ever pulled me over on my bike has been pretty lenient...like once. Or twice. Or something like that.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 12:44 PM   #55
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

It's war, It always has been war and it always will be.
(I blame Brando)
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:17 PM   #56
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

There have been a couple occasions where I've gone by cops going 20-30 over the speed limit. Most of the time, it's on a long trip where I'm just trying to get home, all achy and impatient lol. I am always geared up, and give a friendly wave to them. I have NEVER been pulled over on the bike (car, pulled over at 14mph over). Probably depends mostly on the quota status for tickets and the individual cop's mood.
I have also filtered (I pick my battles carefully lol) in PA, where it's not legal. Usually just on hot days where I'm about to get heat stroke. Cops have seen me do it and have done nothing. Not saying it's a good thing to do, or that I'll never get busted, but I haven't yet (knock on wood).

I just try to be somewhat reasonable about it. Don't speed with other people nearby, or in populated areas. Don't filter too fast, just a few mph. If they are out to get you, they will. Otherwise, seems they will leave you alone if you aren't causing a ruckus, at least in my area.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2014, 04:48 AM   #57
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Made me think of this, at the other end of the age spectrum
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/w...y-veteran.html
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote