ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old September 25th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Alternatives to a $1400 suit

I start with the premise that falls on the street are not like falls on a track.
In most cases...we dont slide for more than a few yards before we hit a tree,wall, car, guardrail or some kid on his BigWheels.
To me...all that means is that I dont really need to pay for leather. Yet...a tight leather suit seems to offer some advantages a looser fitting textile suit doesnt...Like maybe keeping the armor closer to our joints.
Is that guess true ? Still...on street, impact and not abrasion are the most likely hazards. It seems to me....and I like being corrected....that spending my money on strap on armor and maybe even using much cheaper skateboard and soccer gear could be just as functional at a fraction of the cost. Like any sport...we all accept what the manufacturers tell us becaue they offer stats and give free gear to winning riders and all that stuff but a lot of it is pure BS.
I used to dive and like biking...gear was very expensive. I watched guys drop hundreds of dollars on gear that was hyper-specialized and engineered to work in conditions no human would ever encounter....and everyone ran out and bought it. The ONLY advantage i see on the $1400+ suits is that they might keep the armor close to the joint....am I right or wrong ? Or are there a lot of things i'm just not seeing ?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #2
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

There are cheaper suits to be sure, but the difference between a $1400+ suit and a sub $1000 suit is how many times it can be re-worn after a crash. Many high dollar suits can be re-used over and over. Cheaper suits usually have thinner leather (quality can be questioned too) and the stitching is probably not as strong. I do agree that I wouldn't wear textile on the track.

For the street, you can still buy high quality gear and not sacrifice protection. I've been down in my textiles and I got up and walked away with some bruising or a little bit of rash from the mesh material of my jacket on my forearm.

Correction, the rash was actually from my A*s leather jacket. It was nice and tight, but I got a little scuffed up. Lots of textiles have adjustments that you can make around the armor area to make them more secure.

Old September 25th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #3
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Only leather at the track. They won't let you on with anything else.

I've seen suits for under $500 lately (and that's new).

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Old September 25th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Some orgs will let you out in textile in the novice or c class. Read their rules but..... get leather and a back protector.

Check the wera classifieds for used top quality suits.

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

The stitching on Frank Thomas suits don't hold up well. Browse craigslist, local forums, bike forums, and Ebay. I bought my old Dianese suit on Ebay for 300 and my current Frank Thomas suit for 110 on Craigslist.

Old September 25th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I got a $350 suit
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #7
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I have crashed a $750ish dollar suit and a $500ish suit and neither really held up better than the other. Lots of issues with the stretch panels - not the leather itself.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #8
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I'm hitting the same issue. I don't need a suit with all the bells and whistles, but one that will hold up to some abuse if it comes around. I've seen how cheap gear holds up...I'm sorry I'll spend the money on stuff that will protect me, no questions. I know there are going to be situations that eve the best gear can't prevent, but I'll do my best with what $$ I have.

Craigslist is an Ok place to look, racing classifieds work as well. But, don't fall into the trap of buying a $400 one-piece, again I've seen the results....not fun. If you are looking for quality I would some searching, there are several small companies out there that make some good stuff. Like Kobe Leather, the designs might look a little dated, but they are made to withstand just about anything:http://www.kobeusa.com/default.aspx
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #9
eddiekay

Nice lead to KOBE....it led me to a wera site for gear....and i stumbled across Teiz....
Kobe...on the reviews I found, is well reviewed. Came upon a post by our Alex S. from Nov 11 and he had nice things to say so.I'm thinking maybe Kobe looks like a good alt to the $1400 suit.

Thanks

Old September 26th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #10
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8

I wear textile gear for 1500$. i need it because I have to commute very long distances. It is very confortable, I'm never wet or never cold and I crashed once with it. There was minimal damage to the gear and I still use it as before...

Old September 26th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #11
eddiekay

I have a textile suit too. Very comfortable, nice looking, well made but armor is very light and very loose. Really...it's more like a padded suit than armored.
I got to admit that enough people have told me to get a suit that I should get one.

Old September 27th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #12
Dragonracer76
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I got a suit from the Army a long time ago.
Dragonracer76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #13
eddiekay

Went with NYC Steve and panda.
Looiked at $1400 dianese suits, technik, looked at alpine stars and Bilt. Have concluded that there is no alternative to a $1400 suit....unless maybe it's an $1800 one.

Old September 30th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #14
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

So what brand do you think you will go with?
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #15
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

My old model Teknic Violator suit cost me less than 300$ with tags. I almost bought a lightly used Dianese suit for 300$ from this site, but it didn't go through. Shop around, you're sure to find something.

Old September 30th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #16
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

I have a Pilot EVO suit and I don't see me wearing anything else. It was under $1400 and it was made how I wanted it.

Old September 30th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #17
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Nice suit. Shouldn't it say peanut on the front though.

Old September 30th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #18
eddiekay

Based on what I saw the Dainese 1 piece is so much better made and much more details that I would buy it...any of them...
I think it was steve who joked, "well...how much do a few stitches cost ( at the doctor). Fact is....more than a titanium Diane suit. Not to say that an alpine or a bilt or coveralls with skate board elbow caps and newspaper taped around your shins wont do the same thing but my impression is that a less well made suit will work 99% of the time...the Daine feels and looks like it'll work 100% of the time. I bpught my stepdad a $120 shirt...it was $120 10 years ago...triple stitched, no threads hanging out, buttons tight, button holdes perfect and it wasnt made as well as a Dainese suit. I've seen high end garments, suits, police leather, scuba gear and I never saw anything that came close to the Daine suits....every freekin' detail is over-built. I wasnt a gear guy at all but I got to admit that seeing and touching and going over a D suit for like 20 minutes as i did yesterday...I was amazed. Most of you fast guys prob look at a suit as a tool....and that's 100% right.
Stillo...I walked outta Cycle Gear thinking some old woman stitched that sucker together piece by piece knowing her grandson was going to wear it. I know i'm going over the top with this but I've seen so much things done second rate that I'm amazed when i come across anything that's made like these suits

Old September 30th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #19
Yaozer
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250X, 2008 Ninja 250R

I have a fieldsheer one-piece that I use through the winter. I think I only paid like $130 for it shipped new from a vendor on ebay. It has CE approved padding and works well for me. I can't justify spending $1K plus on a stich.

My track suit was made by Spartan Leathers and it's great. I got it on sale and it was only $440. I would highly recommend Spartan and Dave. Great suit, great price, great guy. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links, so just google Spartan Leather if you are interested.
Yaozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #20
SPG
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninjette

Another option for a top quality suit that is reasonably priced is Furygan. The importer is here in Seattle, and I ended up with a nice suit for around $750. It has held up to 5 crashes and is still my cold weather/backup suit.

I just replaced it with a perforated Pilot suit which was made to fit, custom colors, and $1370 out the door.

Also, while looking at top quality leathers, you might want to check out some Sidi boots as well...

-Sean
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #21
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

Craigslist. I just checked my local CL (sacramento) and there are six suits listed right now, all under $250. Most are barely used and look new. It's not like you're buying underwear. I bought mine for $150 and it fits great. Suits are things often bought, rarely used.
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #22
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDog View Post
Craigslist. I just checked my local CL (sacramento) and there are six suits listed right now, all under $250. Most are barely used and look new. It's not like you're buying underwear. I bought mine for $150 and it fits great. Suits are things often bought, rarely used.
Actually it's worse than buying underwear. My suit fits a lot tighter than my underwear and I'm working a lot harder every time I put on my suit than I typically do in my underwear. That and I like to freeball at the track.

Old September 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #23
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Another option for a top quality suit that is reasonably priced is Furygan. The importer is here in Seattle, and I ended up with a nice suit for around $750. It has held up to 5 crashes and is still my cold weather/backup suit.

I just replaced it with a perforated Pilot suit which was made to fit, custom colors, and $1370 out the door.

Also, while looking at top quality leathers, you might want to check out some Sidi boots as well...

-Sean
Like I said, it was under $1400!

Old September 30th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #24
psych0hans

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
Actually it's worse than buying underwear. My suit fits a lot tighter than my underwear and I'm working a lot harder every time I put on my suit than I typically do in my underwear. That and I like to freeball at the track.
It's called a base layer, get one

Old October 1st, 2012, 06:41 AM   #25
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

I would definitely check out the used route. I picked up a Dainese 2 piece from eBay for $300.

It looked, and more importantly smelled, brand new when I got it.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:45 PM   #26
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Teknic Xcelerator Suit - On Sale for just $679! From Ridersdiscount. Great company and awesome prices.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166492

Old October 10th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #27
codestp202

Has anyone heard of Perrini Suits? Found a bunch online for really cheap:
I plan on tracking this next season as frequently as I can afford!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tornado-All-...af37eb&vxp=mtr
http://www.topgearleather.com/produc...ther-Suit.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Perrini-...4399f8&vxp=mtr

Old October 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #28
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
Has anyone heard of Perrini Suits? Found a bunch online for really cheap:
I plan on tracking this next season as frequently as I can afford!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tornado-All-...af37eb&vxp=mtr
http://www.topgearleather.com/produc...ther-Suit.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Perrini-...4399f8&vxp=mtr
The most I've heard about them is this one guy on this one forum was going to buy it, but he backed out because: -
1) everyone else nagged him for being cheap
2) he got dicey replies from their customer service about product returns.

If you google it I googled it, check the link, you'll probably find what I'm talking about. When I was trying to find reviews for the same suit, I came up with nada.

p.s. they ship from Pakistan, so the item location is misleading.
p.p.s. If you do buy it, I demand a review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman0066 on gixxer.com
I'll give you my experiences with my Ebay type suit (actually Tilt Custom Leathers, but same Chinese difference). I got one in "Custom Fit", and it did fit rather well actually. The sewing appeared to be pretty good for holding up through usage (not crashing). The liner was crap, I had to tear out a lot of stitching in it to give me the range of motion I needed. I got to crash it out at Nashville Speedway in a low side (~50mph). The leather held up for the one crash, I did not even suffer a bruise. But I wouldn't wear it again now without serious repairs. A lot of stitching came out and the leather is damaged pretty bad. This is the suit in my signature pic (Blue/white/Black suit). The knee sliders that came with the suit were crap as well, I actually burned through them in 2 sessions at Barber.

I have since picked up a Teknic Xcelerator I bought on Ebay for $500 (store return). This suit feels so much better. The leather allows my arms/legs to move around at the joints a lot better. The suit is lighter (Kangaroo leather is why I guess), there is more armor in it, and there are expanders on the sides that allow me to choose different sizes of chest/back protectors and still have the leather fit snug. Oh, and the collar is much more comfortable. I had to get it altered to fit me though I'm 6'4", I have to have everything altered to fit.

In summary, the Ebay suits are crap. They're definitely better than nothing, that's for damn sure, but you'll be much happier with a name-brand suit in the long run. Keep an eye out for clearance suits or a store return and you can find one for that same price or round abouts.

Last futzed with by psych0hans; October 10th, 2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Added info
psych0hans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #29
codestp202

HAHAH some guy said:
It MIGHT explode and you end up with a **** ton of road rash and broken ****

Id steer clear.

You wont

^^ that is what the internet is about... Person: " I want to get 1000cc for my first bike
should I?"
Everyone: "No"
Person: "I'm gonna get it anyways"

I'm finding some decent deals on used AGV suits and Dianese here and there. Shits expensive.

Old October 10th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #30
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

get a custom syed suit for $1200, it'll fit a lot better.

Old October 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #31
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
HAHAH some guy said:
It MIGHT explode and you end up with a **** ton of road rash and broken ****

Id steer clear.

You wont

^^ that is what the internet is about... Person: " I want to get 1000cc for my first bike
should I?"
Everyone: "No"
Person: "I'm gonna get it anyways"

I'm finding some decent deals on used AGV suits and Dianese here and there. Shits expensive.
Do what I did, eBay... I almost bought a Dianese for like 300$, from these very forums, but it didn't work out. I bought my "brand new" 4 year old Teknic Violator suit for like 288$ from eBay UK. Came new with tags and everything. I'm sure you can find a similar deal for not too much money. Keep looking.

Old October 10th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #32
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
why didnt i think of that in the first place????@@#efgdsf

Old October 10th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #33
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Wasn't directly relating to you but if you spend $1400 might as well be custom.

Old October 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #34
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
I think like most of us mortal folks, Cody's on a pretty tight budget...

Old October 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #35
codestp202

Very tight

Old October 10th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #36
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
I think like most of us mortal folks, Cody's on a pretty tight budget...
Syed is located here in Orlando. I heard a rumor that if you go to his shop and find an off the rack one that fits, you can talk him down quite a bit on price.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #37
htdub
ninjette.org member

Name: Hien

Motorcycle(s): triumph

I got my Arlen Ness Suit From amazon this year, great deal at $650 free prime shipping ($1300 normally)

Easy return policy if it didn't fit, so had to get it.

Noticed they had a few sizes left in blue, 50,52,54

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tphienertum-20

htdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #38
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i still love my kobe suit... great protection, cheap price. made in america too.

kobeusa.com

Old October 16th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #39
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
made in america too.

kobeusa.com
Nope, they are made in Pakistan. KobeUSA is the arm of the company in the US to import and sell them.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #40
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
my suit has a tag with a usa symbol... i assumed that meant it was made here but i can see how i could easily be wrong.. maybe its the usa version of the suit