ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #41
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
sorry guys, but the correct answer is "use a closed loop 6side wrench with a small persuader or the double wrench torque trick" or if the thing is already rounded "use an extractor bit, hammer it on if it wont fit immediately"
A box end wrench is what it will be called in most stores.

I've always preferred sockets, if it's on too hard you use a breaker bar and you don't have to worry about breaking your ratchet. I don't like using cheater bars with wrenches, especially on something like the oil change where you don't have much room to work with, the breaker bar tends to be easier to work with.

Also, there's more than one type of extractor, the type you don't want is what is usually referred to as an extractor, and you drill it into the bolt that needs to come out. The type that grips around the rounded off bolt is what you would want to use in this case. Either way, if you ever need to use one of those tools, you definitely need to replace the fastener after you get it off.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #42
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the difference would be a screw-type extractor vs. a socket-type extractor, yes? i was talking about socket type. also not much difference between a breaker bar with a socket and a double wrench bar in the end

Old November 6th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #43
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
socket or wrench... much to do about nothing. you do what ya gotta do to get it loose with what you have or can buy and fix the aftermath.

and alex you negated your "correct answer"
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #44
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
the difference would be a screw-type extractor vs. a socket-type extractor, yes? i was talking about socket type. also not much difference between a breaker bar with a socket and a double wrench bar in the end
Yes, a socket type. I wan't trying to say you were wrong or anything, just clarifying for people who don't know and might go for the wrong tool.

When you say a double wrench i'm assuming you are talking about using a second wrench to extend your leverage and increase your torque. There are two reasons I don't like doing this. The firsg reason is that when you are working with limited room, the angles required can make it difficult to make it work. The second reason the reason why I quit doing this myself, is that I now like to use the right tool for the job for safety reasons. I talked to a guy in my old line of work (tow truck) who was using this method to pull a driveline, which tends to have very tight bolts. The cheater wrench broke (the "tooth") and the piece that broke off hit him in the eye, blinding him. It's more likely with cheap tools, of course, but in his case it was high quality, either snapon or mac. Last time I heard from him he was trying to get surgery to fix it, but it was a year later and they didn't know if he would see again out of that eye. Of course, he couldn't simply go back to work driving with one eye.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but if you can wear gear when riding, you can use the proper tools when working on the bike.

Old November 6th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #45
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
valid point!

Old November 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #46
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

Now that the bolt is out and you have found the correct tool, fix that hex head with a file as perfectly as you can, lubricate both o-rings well,torque the bolt as recommended and add some safety wire if you want to be extra careful.

Don't half-ass anything: ride away and order a new bolt for the next change, when you won't have any problem to destroy the current one if needed (I bet you will not need doing so).

Be more gentle in the future, Justin, your bike is a sophisticated lady and a noble machine.
New bolt already ordered. 32freakin dollars. Wont be here for a couple days so no bike until then. new helmet and gear will be coming tomorrow morning too . I tried to be gentle, trust me..i spent 3+hours trying everything i could to get it off lol. I used 3 different tools on the socket wrench for more leverage, i had someone stand in front of the bike so it wouldnt move forward while i tried to get it off. It just needed some brute strength.
I explained my situation to the guy on the phone and he laughed and said yeah its happend a few times on 250's that people have brought in. the bolt is off, oil is drained, new filter is ready to go and now i just have to wait for the filter bolt to come in. I dunno if i can make it.

Should also mention the whole process was well over 3 and a half hours. Worked all through the night to get that damn thing off lol. Now its prepped and ready for the new filter/oil then ready to ride again. Wilsons was going to charge me 180dollars (after a 50$ discount) so fck that, no oil change is worth 180dollars.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #47
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i think there is a filter that will screw into the slot without the need for the bolt or cover. can't provide any more details than that though, sorry. maybe its worth looking into for the time it takes to get the new bolt in? looks like you have an r6 also so you're probably fine just waiting for the bolt. (i know if im out of bikes to ride, i start going crazy)

Old November 6th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #48
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
i think there is a filter that will screw into the slot without the need for the bolt or cover. can't provide any more details than that though, sorry. maybe its worth looking into for the time it takes to get the new bolt in? looks like you have an r6 also so you're probably fine just waiting for the bolt. (i know if im out of bikes to ride, i start going crazy)
Lol i really should change that, you're the 2nd person in this thread alone who thinks i have an R6. Sadly, i do not. I started on a 250 and my "end goal" is an R6.

I'll have a look around for that filter though.

Old November 6th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #49
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you don't want an r6 anyway. :P

Old November 6th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #50
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
........It just needed some brute strength..........
I would say that you needed better grip, since that is what failed.

Take it as an experience: always use the proper tool, six point socket+breaking bar in this case, some pre-soak with WD-40 or any penetrating lubricant, some heat (a hot engine may have been sufficient), some vibration or shock (hammer directly over the head or impact tool).

It is just a hollow bolt screwed into aluminum.

Best !
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #51
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Have you......ridden an r6?

Great bike, I really enjoy them. But they're not my favorite Super Sport.

Of the ZX-636R, GSXR, R6, and CBR600rr I will give you that it's the sexiest. But I think it's not leaps and bounds better looking and the other bikes are also great ones. Try them all!
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #52
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

Best lesson learned should be. . . . DON'T USE OPEN END WRENCHES TO LOOSEN BOLTS/NUTS.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #53
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPHYN View Post
Best lesson learned should be. . . . DON'T USE OPEN END WRENCHES TO LOOSEN BOLTS/NUTS.
yeahh...even though the oil drain bolt is still perfectly fine other than the obvious paint chipping off from the wrench, wont be using wrenches anymore

Old November 6th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #54
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I use wrenches, I think u r just teh fails
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #55
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I use wrenches, I think u r just teh fails
You makey no sense??? Just meant use box-end or wrench or sockets. Not OPEN END of wrench.

Old November 7th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #56
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPHYN View Post
You makey no sense??? Just meant use box-end or wrench or sockets. Not OPEN END of wrench.
OPEN ENDED SON!

Link to original page on YouTube.

AFM #676

Old November 7th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #57
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Your bolt wasn't over torqued was it? A few more years of wrenching and you will learn to.

Old November 7th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #58
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
OPEN ENDED SON!
That video must be banned !!!

Funny how you fish the bolt with the wrench and try not to touch the oil with your hands.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #59
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

you need to use a breaker bar or something like that for more leverage.
You'll never get off with the regular socket wrench...

Old November 7th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #60
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I would say that you needed better grip, since that is whatuu failed.

Take it as an experience: always use the proper tool, six point socket+breaking bar in this case, some pre-soak with WD-40 or any penetrating lubricant, some heat (a hot engine may have been sufficient), some vibration or shock (hammer directly over the head or impact tool).

It is just a hollow bolt screwed into aluminum.

Best !
Finally! Someone suggests penetrating lubricant!
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #61
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post

In my few years of wrenching on cars and bikes I have come to the conclusion that penetrating lubricant never works (ever).
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #62
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
In my few years of wrenching on cars and bikes I have come to the conclusion that penetrating lubricant never works (ever).
Usually if a bolt is really stubborn I apply penetrating lubricant every couple of hours and let it sit overnight.

I recently used a 5+ year old can of PB Blaster on a stubborn gas tank bolt on my ZX6R. Weird how one bolt came out effortlessly and the other just refused to turn.

Old November 7th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #63
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
You're doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Usually if a bolt is really stubborn I apply penetrating lubricant every couple of hours and let it sit overnight.
There you go.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #64
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
That is unrealistic a lot of the time. If a mechanic gives you a quote, they pretty much stick to it not matter how long it takes. Overnight isn't really an option most of the time. Same deal at the track. If you wanna ride, you fix it NOW.

Old November 7th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #65
menikmati

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
That is unrealistic a lot of the time. If a mechanic gives you a quote, they pretty much stick to it not matter how long it takes. Overnight isn't really an option most of the time. Same deal at the track. If you wanna ride, you fix it NOW.
That is true in those circumstances, I'm not the type to brute force something if I know I have the incorrect tool for the job. I'm more of a "right tool for the job" kind of guy rather than MacGyver.

If you have the right tools or the smarts to do it then do it up!

Old November 7th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #66
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I am a "work smarter not harder" kind of guy. Sometimes that takes different shapes but I am not afraid to bust out the duct tape if need. hahahahhaha

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #67
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Well, I am glad penetrating lube seems to work for everyone but me.

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #68
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I've had pretty good luck with it. I usually soak the crap out of the bolt in question, and let it sit for 30-45 minutes, hitting it with more lube every 15. The break helps because by that point, I'm usually fuming mad, and maybe the lube doesn' actually help the bolt, idk, but the break really helps me calm down and think more rationally besides just, "MOTHER ****ING BOLT WON'T COME OFF WHEN I ****ING NEED IT TOO!!!"

Quote:
but I am not afraid to bust out the duct tape if need.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #69
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I am a "work smarter not harder" kind of guy. a
Yea, I'm lazy too
AFM #676

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #70
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

You don't even know how true that is. Seems I am caught. hahahahahahah

Old November 7th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #71
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
I'm more of a "right tool for the job" kind of guy rather than MacGyver.
You're doing it wrong. As a motorcycle rider you must become MacGyver.

Zipties. Zipties everywhere.

What is currently holding my undertail on? Zipties.

MacGyver
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #72
menikmati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
You're doing it wrong. As a motorcycle rider you must become MacGyver.

Zipties. Zipties everywhere.

What is currently holding my undertail on? Zipties.

MacGyver
Zip ties are actually the right tool for most jobs, I always keep some handy.

I wuz talkin bout usin Hulk Smash and hammering random ****.

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #73
Jono

But...... Hulk smash is usually your best option!

Old November 8th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #74
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Zip ties are actually the right tool for most jobs, I always keep some handy.

I wuz talkin bout usin Hulk Smash and hammering random ****.
hey hey, it worked. and im a pretty strong dude and that thing was NOT moving. I dont neglect my hands/grip at the gym either so it wasnt poor grip. Even threw on my gloves. Like i said though, the socket wrench isnt new, expensive or fancy...Id gladly sacrifice a socket wrench thats 8+years old then go to the dealership for something like that. I'm also fairly limited on parts/tools to use.

Old November 8th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #75
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
hey hey, it worked. and im a pretty strong dude and that thing was NOT moving. I dont neglect my hands/grip at the gym either so it wasnt poor grip. Even threw on my gloves. Like i said though, the socket wrench isnt new, expensive or fancy...Id gladly sacrifice a socket wrench thats 8+years old then go to the dealership for something like that. I'm also fairly limited on parts/tools to use.
When he said poor grip I don't think he meant your hands, he meant the tool on the bolt. That's a problem with open ended wrenches and 12 point tools, the grip can be poor.

Old November 8th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #76
slowninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Duey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Use a snap wrench or extend the handlebar of your wrench. It much easier.
slowninja is offline   Reply With Quote