ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:24 PM   #1
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Damn........just, damn.

It finally took a heavily modified Nissan GT-R with 1350hp to beat the H2R in flat mile. Plus it took 3/4 of that mile just to catch up and eventually pass the H2R

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread..._medium=social
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:50 PM   #2
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

From the fine article:
> Once you get a taste of the speed we experience

Heck, it doesn't take a $50K supercharged liter bike to do that -- any used 600cc bike from CL will destroy most cars with a sub 4s 0-to-60 for not a lot of money ... I'm never blowing money on a performance oriented car again. They are just people and stuff movers. Street cars that race are like the special olympics.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:57 PM   #3
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Street cars that race are like the special olympics.
Even if you win, you're still...

Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:59 PM   #4
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
From the fine article:
> Once you get a taste of the speed we experience

Heck, it doesn't take a $50K supercharged liter bike to do that -- any used 600cc bike from CL will destroy most cars with a sub 4s 0-to-60 for not a lot of money ... I'm never blowing money on a performance oriented car again. They are just people and stuff movers. Street cars that race are like the special olympics.
True, but there is also a huge difference between say.....a $100,000 Porsche and a $1,000,000-2,000,000 Bugatti. This is where that super charger is needed. i don't think a 600 could come close to any of the three cars raced.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:45 PM   #5
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
True, but there is also a huge difference between say.....a $100,000 Porsche and a $1,000,000-2,000,000 Bugatti. This is where that super charger is needed. i don't think a 600 could come close to any of the three cars raced.
Right, yeah I wasn't suggesting that!!

Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:29 PM   #6
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

People try to race me all the time, i just shake the, uh uh uh, finger at them and go on my way. If they know nothing about bikes they might be thinking, yeah prob shouldn't race a crotch rocket would kick my ass.

*on a side note, i admit that before i ever started riding i used to call sport bikes "crotch rockets" as well. Wasn't until i started riding and joined the forum a few years back that i now use proper terminology. Note that i think about it, i don't think i have seen anyone on here refer to sport bikes as crotch rockets. Anyone care to elaborate if this is just one of those squid our non rider terms?

**on a second side note, My Boy was Born on May 1st!! Been why i have not been on for a month. Kellen David Bell, 8lbs 4oz., after just one month he is almost 11lbs now. The kid eats twice as much as my daughter ever did. He's gonna be able to kick my ass soon.

Wife got him this to wear. I love it!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:52 PM   #7
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
*on a side note, i admit that before i ever started riding i used to call sport bikes "crotch rockets" as well. Wasn't until i started riding and joined the forum a few years back that i now use proper terminology. Note that i think about it, i don't think i have seen anyone on here refer to sport bikes as crotch rockets. Anyone care to elaborate if this is just one of those squid our non rider terms?
My elderly dad rides an air-cooled inline-4 Honda "cruiser" from the early 80s. He just calls sportsbikes crotch rockets all the time. *shrug* But his cruiser's engine is a lot like a sportsbike in character.

Old June 4th, 2015, 12:04 AM   #8
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
People try to race me all the time, i just shake the, uh uh uh, finger at them and go on my way. If they know nothing about bikes they might be thinking, yeah prob shouldn't race a crotch rocket would kick my ass.
I've never raced a GTR or a really really fast car, but even after going +1 in the front sprocket, I still win against most of the American muscle cars around my area from stoplights if we're just racing up to the speed limit, and that's where I stop and most people stop. Only a sore loser crybaby who's racing because they've got a small dong and something to prove and isn't in it for the fun is going to keep going faster.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
I'm never blowing money on a performance oriented car again. They are just people and stuff movers.

It's a simple equation and the math is pretty darned compelling.

Below is my rig. Both the car and the bike were bought brand new.

Average price of a new car: $33,000 plus (http://www.cnbc.com/id/102646359)

My car cost about $16,000
The bike (a leftover with zero miles) cost $9,500

Total $25,500

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2015, 05:18 AM   #10
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Speed is simply a function of money, how fast can you afford to go?

Enzo Ferrari

My honda CR-V moves my body, my gixxer 750 moves my soul...

Adouglas

Old June 4th, 2015, 08:02 AM   #11
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Be careful with those absolutes. My $10,000 (used) 1991 GMC pickup has a rated 0-60 of 4.6s in the rain (and most of its stats are underrated so that it didn't make the Corvette look bad). A friend has the SUV version with some mods (I think the AC is removed to make room for the bigger turbo, but it still has the leather interior) and it'll do 0-60 in 2.8s. That'll compete with some pretty fast bikes. Just don't assume that your bike is always faster than everything out there. 400+ lbft of torque can be a lot of fun.

But I will agree that my Kawasakis have been much cheaper and easier to work on, to the point where I don't drive or work on the truck nearly as much as I did back in the day.

P.S. My truck's stats are part of the reason I haven't done one of those supercar track driving events yet. It really lets some wind out of the sails when their numbers aren't that much better than those of the $10K truck I put 150,000 miles on. I know there's more to it than a couple stat numbers, but it just chips away at the "super" of these supercars.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #12
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Yamaha XS850G Midnight Special, 32k Miles; 2000 EX250F, <5000 Orig Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Be careful with those absolutes. My $10,000 (used) 1991 GMC pickup has a rated 0-60 of 4.6s in the rain (and most of its stats are underrated so that it didn't make the Corvette look bad). A friend has the SUV version with some mods (I think the AC is removed to make room for the bigger turbo, but it still has the leather interior) and it'll do 0-60 in 2.8s. That'll compete with some pretty fast bikes. Just don't assume that your bike is always faster than everything out there. 400+ lbft of torque can be a lot of fun.

But I will agree that my Kawasakis have been much cheaper and easier to work on, to the point where I don't drive or work on the truck nearly as much as I did back in the day.

P.S. My truck's stats are part of the reason I haven't done one of those supercar track driving events yet. It really lets some wind out of the sails when their numbers aren't that much better than those of the $10K truck I put 150,000 miles on. I know there's more to it than a couple stat numbers, but it just chips away at the "super" of these supercars.
GMC Syclone I presume? Thing is, there really are not a lot of those on the road; nor are there many cars/trucks at all from the early 90s that will do similar, outside of Corvette's and the like.
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2015, 09:58 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Thumbs up

Quote:
........... My Boy was Born on May 1st!! Been why i have not been on for a month. Kellen David Bell, 8lbs 4oz., after just one month he is almost 11lbs now. The kid eats twice as much as my daughter ever did. He's gonna be able to kick my ass soon.

Wife got him this to wear. I love it!
Congratulations !!!

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 4th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #14
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
GMC Syclone I presume? Thing is, there really are not a lot of those on the road; nor are there many cars/trucks at all from the early 90s that will do similar, outside of Corvette's and the like.
Good guess. #1456 and #0187 are in my garage.

Very true. Most bikes will out-accelerate most cars.

But it is possible to get a reasonably priced car that edges into bike territory. Don't just assume that for a car to beat your 250 off the line that it has to cost as much as a house. You might be surprised what a "riced out old S-10" (or something similarly outwardly unimpressive) can do. That's all I was trying to get at.

But I agree with the main idea of this thread, that my bike seems to give me similar performance, with a lot less cost and effort to work on things. Then again, I put 150K on the first Sy and was able to drive it year-round and haul things (besides just ass) too.

Just get a toy for every situation and you'll always be happy. =)

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Old June 4th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Just get a toy for every situation and you'll always be happy. =)
omg yes!!!!

Pitting them against each other is just silly.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #16
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
... A friend has the SUV version with some mods ... and it'll do 0-60 in 2.8s ...
2014 GT-R is rated 2.9 seconds with approx 520 crank hp and awd ... 1000 hp Bugatti awp is rated 2.5 seconds ... what kind of mods did this sub-3-second SUV have?!

Old June 5th, 2015, 09:01 AM   #17
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
SyTy stuff

Quote:
2014 GT-R is rated 2.9 seconds with approx 520 crank hp and awd ... 1000 hp Bugatti awp is rated 2.5 seconds ... what kind of mods did this sub-3-second SUV have?!
I can't find the actual build details, but I think it had a T72 turbo and engine work. I'm pretty sure it's fast enough to require a cage. He was from Alaska and moved to MI for a while, but didn't bring the truck with him, so I never got to ride in it. He's in OH now, so I should go do that some day. It was also repainted Radar Blue (that's not his, just an example of the color) which adds a ton of hp. They're a few hundred pounds lighter than a GT-R with torque numbers in the same ballbark (see below) even in stock form.

Right off the showroom floor, these things are torque-monsters with amazing acceleration. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test They're only rated at 285hp and 350tq. However, one guy dynoed his at over 400 bone stock, and got over 500 with just a chip and fuel pump (the stocker is marginal at best). One of the original PAS engineers who created the SyTy's was at the gathering last summer, and confirmed that they did indeed sandbag them for the ratings by cranking the ambient temps up to kill the turbo's efficiency.

Another fast one - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Sy...92332520802739

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 5th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #18
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Quote:
Personally I think "crotch rocket" is a derisive, borderline derogatory term like "squid." Although I do love calling people squids.

Also, congratulations @LNasty! I'm ordering that baby shirt thing ahead of time.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.