ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 17th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #1
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Name: Shanii

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Honda CBR 250r......2007 Ninja 250R (sold)

Baby on motorcycle

This is my first post as I've watched plenty of threads prior, but figured I'd make this my first post. In all my years of being observant to motorcyclist I can truly say I've never ever witnessed anyone strap a baby car seat to the back of their bike with a baby in it. Wish I could have gotten pics but I was driving and too shocked at seeing this to snap any pics. Mind you, the baby had on nothing protective, but the baby was surely strapped down quite well. Is this even legal? Any parents with infant sized children ever strap their baby to the back of their cycle or has anyone else witnessed this. No offense to anyone that does but this has to be extremely unsafe and against the law. The guy was on a cruiser style bike and going about 25mph....Just curious.
rjones91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Yay, now I can post a relevant, funny video.

Link to original page on YouTube.

xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

Name: CalvinAmI

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r [RED] & '06 Ninja 250 [WHITE]

COMPLETELY made my day =)
CalvinAmI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #4
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Now that is too funny lol.

Old May 17th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #5
SuViR
ninjette.org member

Name: JaHReaL

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R BLuE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Yay, now I can post a relevant, funny video.

Link to original page on YouTube.

FUNNY FREEKIN VID

Old May 17th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #6
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@rjones91: If I saw that happening I'd be so shocked. What can you do though? I guess you could call government operated, child protective services, but you'd probably be putting the kid in as much harms way from doing that as leaving it with that incredibly bad parent.

Horrible thing to see.

On another note: that video is hilarious!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #7
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

im prolly gonn throw my kid on the back of my motorcycle when I get another one. But hes got full MX Gear so ill prolly put his boots and stuff on too. Maybe get him a little jacket. Hes four, and does NOT like going down. lol
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #8
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

There's a house (ahem) at the end of my street and a couple times last year I saw someone ride a sportbike of some sort (don't recall what kind) and the lady had a (I think) a 2 year old IN HER LAP riding slowly up and down the street. I wanted to call the cops right away but my wife just said "you can't fix stupid". I still can't believe what I saw.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #9
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

How busy is your street? My father inlaw used to do this with my son in their culdisac. He was like 2 maybe a little younrger. I didnt care. He loves motorcylces, and there is no traffic since its not a through street.

A lot off the time it comes down to "is it your kid?" no? Then its not your business as long as the child is not in serious danger. (driving down the freeway at 90 MPH or doing wheelies down the street.) Thats my opinion. Its my kid, I take the risks I want to take with him.

*edit
Im not trying to be a dick, but its just annoying when people try to tell you what you is best for your child. A friend of the familys literally RAN out of the house when I was trying to encourage my son to ride his dirt bike I got him, because I wasnt wearing a helmet and was setting a bad example. All this in front of all the guests I invited, her included...
1. dont lecture your host
2. dont act like a kids who isnt yours IS yours..

anyways, I guess it touched a button, because I cannot stand **** like that.

also she did apologize later, but the damage had been done and im not going to forget that and be annoyed with her for awhile.

Old May 17th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
There's a house (ahem) at the end of my street and a couple times last year I saw someone ride a sportbike of some sort (don't recall what kind) and the lady had a (I think) a 2 year old IN HER LAP riding slowly up and down the street. I wanted to call the cops right away but my wife just said "you can't fix stupid". I still can't believe what I saw.
Why did you listen to your wife exactly? What if she wrecked and killed the kid?
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1999 "1000cc" ZX9R

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
A lot off the time it comes down to "is it your kid?" no? Then its not your business as long as the child is not in serious danger. (driving down the freeway at 90 MPH or doing wheelies down the street.) Thats my opinion. Its my kid, I take the risks I want to take with him.

*edit
Im not trying to be a dick, but its just annoying when people try to tell you what you is best for your child. A friend of the familys literally RAN out of the house when I was trying to encourage my son to ride his dirt bike I got him, because I wasnt wearing a helmet and was setting a bad example. All this in front of all the guests I invited, her included...
1. dont lecture your host
2. dont act like a kids who isnt yours IS yours..
I have a 10 year old and I agree 100%. AND that thought can also be applied to things other than kids too. I'm going to beat the piss out of the next person who comes up to me when I'm smoking (leaning on my bike, at work, away from people) and tells me that its unhealthy OR they walk over to me from 200-300 feet away to tell me they don't like the smell of smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1000 View Post
Why did you listen to your wife exactly? What if she wrecked and killed the kid?
See Massacremasses above quote.
Sigma.40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Stingray1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma.40 View Post
I have a 10 year old and I agree 100%. AND that thought can also be applied to things other than kids too. I'm going to beat the piss out of the next person who comes up to me when I'm smoking (leaning on my bike, at work, away from people) and tells me that its unhealthy OR they walk over to me from 200-300 feet away to tell me they don't like the smell of smoke.
See Massacremasses above quote.
Sorry Disagree completely.... You're talking about 2 different situations... On one hand you have a father (Massacremasses) who has obviously been riding bike for a long time and is training his son to do so as well (teaching safety and road ethics and what not) on the other hand a woman holding an infant while riding or strapping a carseat of sorts to a bike..... These are 2 COMPLETELY different scenarios.. I saw someone posted "Well what can you do have the kid taken away and put them in a worse situation?" YES cause at least they have more of a survival rate cause no one is strapping them to the back of a motorcycle, because no mater what the situation, if their alive their better off! If I saw anything at all like this whether a woman's nagging in my ear or not I'd be calling the cops. Hell I call the cops on cars when I see people holding babies while riding passenger in a car or a kid sitting with no car seat that should be. Same situation I'd rather them be taken away and alive, then with a moron and DEAD... But that's just me

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #13
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I havent been riding on the street that long, but ive been riding off road vehicles and such since I was a little guy.

I think the OP was right to be concerned, an infant shouldnt be riding on the street.

However I disagreed with Thomas because it was on a street in front of their house only up and down the road at a slow speed. While sure its not super safe, its also as safe as they can do it. They arent in traffic, they are going slow, and im sure the kid loved it...

Old May 17th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #14
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

That was worth the minute from my life.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #15
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@massacremasses: The scenarios you and Thomas have invoked don't stand out as particularly crazy IMO and certainly don't make me feel like I might need to run outside intervene! But The scenario in the top post, of (presumably) the father with his baby strapped to the back of his cruiser travelling on public streets ~25MPH: that's really messed up. That vulnerable baby is entirely dependent on him and he's putting it in a position where it could become permanently disfigured, get brain damage or die in a crash.

@Stingray1000: It was me you quoted. It was a genuine question that I don't know the answer to. I've heard of lots of kids being deeply harmed via those government operated systems: if in that situation I called protective services and the kid was later harmed in it, it would be my fault. I do get what you mean though: how the kid would probably be in much less harm than with that father.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones91 View Post
Mind you, the baby had on nothing protective,
What a squid.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #17
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Just toss your baby into a backpack. Problem solved. Nobody will even know you are riding around with an infant.

Do NOT actually do this.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #18
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

I took my son in front of me when he was 4 on my bike down our neighborhood street to the culdesac and back. I would never have taken him out on the main roads in our town where I had to interact with traffic. But it was fun for him. As for a baby in a car seat, no frigging way... in SC it is against the law since anyone under 18/21 ?? has to wear a helmet.

While we're talking about kids on bikes... my daughter pulled a funny once on her dirt bike. She pulled up to the trampoline to talk to one of the kids jumping on it. She then turned around to yell at another kid who was behind her. While her head was turned she started to pull off and rode the bike up under the trampoline, clotheslining herself and getting peeled off of it. Funny as all get-out... and kids have GOT to learn these lessons before they start driving on the streets.
ai4px is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #19
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

The street I live on is somewhat busy since there's a fairly large park at the end of the block. Also, since I'm one street off the 'main drag', people routinely use it as a short cut if there's a red light at the main intersection. So we get a few folks speeding down the street. The lady driving the bike had zero gear on- flip flops, shorts, no helmet etc. You're right- I should just mind my own business. I'm getting cranky in my old age .
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #20
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
I took my son in front of me when he was 4 on my bike down our neighborhood street to the culdesac and back. I would never have taken him out on the main roads in our town where I had to interact with traffic. But it was fun for him. As for a baby in a car seat, no frigging way... in SC it is against the law since anyone under 18/21 ?? has to wear a helmet.

While we're talking about kids on bikes... my daughter pulled a funny once on her dirt bike. She pulled up to the trampoline to talk to one of the kids jumping on it. She then turned around to yell at another kid who was behind her. While her head was turned she started to pull off and rode the bike up under the trampoline, clotheslining herself and getting peeled off of it. Funny as all get-out... and kids have GOT to learn these lessons before they start driving on the streets.
nope
http://www.eastcoastmarc.org/art_laws.htm

no age restriction. But they need to be on the passenger pegs so kinda rules most kids out

Old May 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #21
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Parents are entitled to raise their kids any way they seem fit (no argument from me). I don't agree with an infant being strapped to the back of a bike or even in one's lap slowly riding on a bike with no gear on. A baby can't take as much as an adult can. A low-side accident with no speed involved can potentially kill an infant. The baby I witnessed didn't appear to be older than 6 months. If you're gonna have a baby on a bike, proper gear is better than booties and a thin cotton baby cap. I am not one to offer any advice to any parent on how to raise their kids which is why I didn't roll my window down and yell at the guy. Too each's own though....

Old May 18th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #22
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
@rjones91: If I saw that happening I'd be so shocked. What can you do though? I guess you could call government operated, child protective services, but you'd probably be putting the kid in as much harms way from doing that as leaving it with that incredibly bad parent.

Horrible thing to see.

On another note: that video is hilarious!
Yeah I was extremely shocked as I've never seen an infant exposed as such. I've seen folks with their pet dog on the back but even so...the dog had a helmet on and a leather dog jacket.....

Old May 18th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #23
Stingray1000

Honestly I'm done with this thread.... I just can't believe the lack of humanity of some people..... wow you see that mother riding down the street with the baby, she low sides killing it, and you had the chance to call the cops and didn't. You might as well had the baby on your own bike and killed it yourself.......

Old May 18th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #24
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones91 View Post
Parents are entitled to raise their kids any way they seem fit (no argument from me). I don't agree with an infant being strapped to the back of a bike or even in one's lap slowly riding on a bike with no gear on. A baby can't take as much as an adult can. A low-side accident with no speed involved can potentially kill an infant. The baby I witnessed didn't appear to be older than 6 months. If you're gonna have a baby on a bike, proper gear is better than booties and a thin cotton baby cap. I am not one to offer any advice to any parent on how to raise their kids which is why I didn't roll my window down and yell at the guy. Too each's own though....
I agreed that, that is extreme and very unsafe. I may have said something.

Quote:
Honestly I'm done with this thread.... I just can't believe the lack of humanity of some people..... wow you see that mother riding down the street with the baby, she low sides killing it, and you had the chance to call the cops and didn't. You might as well had the baby on your own bike and killed it yourself.......
I dont think anyone has been ok with an infant on a motorcycle...

Old May 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #25
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old May 18th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #26
Stingray1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Lol beautiful but poor totured puppy lol

Old May 20th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #27
mcnuggett
ninjette.org member

Name: kristy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black 250r

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry Disagree completely.... You're talking about 2 different situations... On one hand you have a father (Massacremasses) who has obviously been riding bike for a long time and is training his son to do so as well (teaching safety and road ethics and what not) on the other hand a woman holding an infant while riding or strapping a carseat of sorts to a bike..... These are 2 COMPLETELY different scenarios.. I saw someone posted "Well what can you do have the kid taken away and put them in a worse situation?" YES cause at least they have more of a survival rate cause no one is strapping them to the back of a motorcycle, because no mater what the situation, if their alive their better off! If I saw anything at all like this whether a woman's nagging in my ear or not I'd be calling the cops. Hell I call the cops on cars when I see people holding babies while riding passenger in a car or a kid sitting with no car seat that should be. Same situation I'd rather them be taken away and alive, then with a moron and DEAD... But that's just me

I think it's unfair how EVERY time you've said anything you specify it being a woman or mother riding when OP specifically said it was a man. But a father teaching his child how to ride is totally cool in your book even though he said he'd allowed his father in law to ride his small child around just the same as the previously mentioned woman did. No negative comment about that though.
Also, your "nagging" comment is just silly. Who thinks that way anymore?

I've called the cops on people for not having their kid in a carseat in a car before.
My point is simply that I see no reason to correlate dangerous/stupid riding with female riders. I like this forum because thus far I have yet to run into any kind of discriminative attitudes towards anyone besides squids.

And Justin, don't get me wrong, I don't think that anything you've done with your son is wrong in any way. I read through a lot of your thread about it and for what it's worth I think you seem like a great dad. Personally, my dad was more concerned with discouraging me from riding than helping me learn which created one more huge obstacle for me to overcome. He helps me now but it took several months and a huge argument to get to this point.

On a much lighter note, when I first got my bike I had a thought of how funny it would have been on Jackass for one of them to ride around on a motorcycle with a very life like baby doll in one of those backpack baby carrier things. Do wheelies and stuff. I think people's responses would have been hilarious.
mcnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #28
Stingray1000

@mcnugget
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
You should probably read the whole thread before you go posting things... A FEMALE experienced rider hasn't said anything about taking their 4 to 6 year old out.. A MALE was the one who said it so I referenced a MALE. The only thing that was mentioned about a FEMALE was an infant being taken out, so in that post i referenced a FEMALE.. I don't agree with anyone taking their 3 or less child out on a bike ride but I didn't comment on it because as I said I was DONE with this thread... and I am. And I consider that nagging, but that's just me... Lots of woman NAG, lots of men NAG when you get older you'll realize it. If you're going to quote someone, make sure you understand the post and read the whole thread please.