ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:46 AM   #1
ninja07
ninjette.org newbie

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250

Best sounding exhaust?

Which exhaust do you guys think sounds the best? I was really wanting the muzzy single exhaust but I think it sounds too much like my fourwheeler exhaust and not like a bike. The yoshi sounds a little better to me. I've also been looking at two bro, kreger, etc. I haven't heard any exhaust in person only from YouTube videos and I know that doesn't offer the bes sound quality. What is yalls opinion?
ninja07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:56 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I like quietness of the stock exhaust but to each his own Area P makes a good one for the pregen but I'm not sure if they have any left.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:10 AM   #3
ninja07
ninjette.org newbie

Yeah I don't want the obnoxious loud throaty sound. I want it to sound like a street bike, given I'm only working with 250cc. And I would like to get rid of the duals but I liking to slip on sound better.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Stock. It will never sound very nice. Might as well keep it quiet. But to each his own.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:48 AM   #5
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Best sounding exhaust? The answer would be: any exhaust on any other street bike besides an EX-250.

You just can't hide the fact that the EX-250's parallel twin, flat-plane crankshaft engine has a lousy sounding exhaust pulse pattern. It fires cylinder #1 then cylinder #2 only 180 degrees later, then there's nothing for 540 more degrees of engine rotation.

Sorry, but it just sounds like a piece of agricultural equipment until you get it up over 7,000 rpm.

The only change you can make with a different exhaust system is how loud you want the bike to be.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #6
ninja07
ninjette.org newbie

Well.... Stock it is

Old May 24th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #7
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
Best sounding exhaust? Get a Ducati if you're a fan of a deep growl, one of the 250's bigger inline 4 screamers if you like that out of control whine.

Old May 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos Spicy Wiener

Motorcycle(s): Too many

The PO of my steed installed the Area P full exhaust system, so I can speak authoritatively to that sound. But, I have to confess that I have never heard a Ninjette stock, nor any other modified Ninjette exhausts.

Now that I have qualified the hell out of my response, I think the Area P is very VERY loud. It's almost obnoxiously loud. It also sounds more like an HD when you're at low RPMs, which seems weird since the Ninjette looks like a sport bike. To put this in perspective, this past week, I had some dude roll up next to me at a stop light, roll down his window, poke his head out, and ask me why my bike "sounded like that." My only response was to point at the AP can behind my foot, to which he then replied, "oh, I have never heard a Ninja that sounds like that."
Boomstick1491 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
stock exhaust sounds the best.

Old May 26th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Best sounding exhaust? The answer would be: any exhaust on any other street bike besides an EX-250.

You just can't hide the fact that the EX-250's parallel twin, flat-plane crankshaft engine has a lousy sounding exhaust pulse pattern. It fires cylinder #1 then cylinder #2 only 180 degrees later, then there's nothing for 540 more degrees of engine rotation.

Sorry, but it just sounds like a piece of agricultural equipment until you get it up over 7,000 rpm.

The only change you can make with a different exhaust system is how loud you want the bike to be.
^^ Greg has it right!

Anyhow, I have noticed a difference in tone and volume when changing from stock to Two Brothers to Muzzy. Personally, the Muzzy is my favorite. It's not obnoxious (18" long can), and it has a great tone that changes as the throttle input changes, where the Two Brothers just got louder. It's low and rumbly with low throttle inputs, then kinda buzzy in the middle of your throttle travel (think constant speed drone, just enough throttle to keep a steady speed), then it just flat out screams at WOT. It also has performance gains that are actually worth the time re-jetting. Defintely still a parallel twin; no way around that.

I still like intake noise better than exhaust noise. Exhaust gets kinda farty when cruising, but sounds great when under load. Intake is quiet when cruising, but throaty and awesome under load.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #11
shiftdrift06
ninjette.org member

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): None

Stock.

My full yoshi exhaust sounds like a lawn mower.
shiftdrift06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos Spicy Wiener

Motorcycle(s): Too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift06 View Post
Stock.

My full yoshi exhaust sounds like a lawn mower.
There is a reason I call my bike the Weed Whacker.
Boomstick1491 is offline   Reply With Quote