ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #1
metabolism

Brand new 250R.....wait for aftermarket parts or not?

Hello everyone,

Hopefully this isn't a repost topic - I tried searching other threads but came up (or typed in the wrong keywords) with nothing.

I just bought a new '12 Ninja 250R and I've only put on about 70 miles on it.

I want to get the VR6 Sportisi Full Exhaust with the Sportisi Jet kit but I was wondering if I should wait since it's a brand new bike and I haven't even reached the 600 mile break in period (dealer told me to keep the bike under 6k RPM for the first 600 miles to break it in).

Should I wait till after 600 miles to start putting in aftermarket parts? Since the 600 mile maintenance is such a crucial point for the bike itself?

Any thoughts is appreciated. Thank you!

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #2
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

How you ride it is more important than what you put on it. You can go ahead and put the mods on, and still keep the rpms down if you're disciplined.

Personally I've never seen or heard anything about any negative effects of exploring the upper reaches of the tachometer early in a bike's life. Stay away from full-throttle, redlining & maintaining the same speed for long stretches. Varying your rpms & loads is a great way to break in a new engine as long as you don't get carried away & hammer on it.

It also won't hurt to change your oil early instead of waiting until 600 miles, but that's a personal preference of mine.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #3
metabolism

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
How you ride it is more important than what you put on it. You can go ahead and put the mods on, and still keep the rpms down if you're disciplined.

Personally I've never seen or heard anything about any negative effects of exploring the upper reaches of the tachometer early in a bike's life. Stay away from full-throttle, redlining & maintaining the same speed for long stretches. Varying your rpms & loads is a great way to break in a new engine as long as you don't get carried away & hammer on it.

It also won't hurt to change your oil early instead of waiting until 600 miles, but that's a personal preference of mine.
Great advice - really appreciate your input! I will definitely get an oil-change done at the dealership. What do you recommend every 300 miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
The reason for staying low in the RPMs is because the break in period is to cause a wearing of the metal as well as a glazing. The glazing makes the metal hard so it does not wear as easily, however the wearing is important for a proper fit. If you get it too hot and it glazes before it wears enough it will not perform as well.

The jet kit, if done improperly, can cause the bike to run hot. This can cause premature glazing (sometimes referred to as polish). This impairs the fitment process. If it is done properly you shouldnt have any issues. Not too rich, not too lean.

With that said the 70 miles that you have put on is estimated by at least some to be 90% of the breakin. Some schools of thought are that the breakin is on a curve, 90% within 50 miles, 95% within 600 miles and the rest within thousands of miles. If they are right then a jet kit shouldnt harm anything, nor should exceeding 6k rpm. Some of the people saying that have done iron butt competitions and have put tens of thousands of miles on their bikes, so take it for what its worth.

Ultimately its your bike, you and you alone have to live with whatever is done, either waiting or not. I personally do not think that any harm will come from it unless you mess up the jetting and blow the engine. What I think does not matter because if I give you bad advice it is your bike and you have to deal with the outcome of choosing to follow my advice.
Thank you for your input as well and the explanation for the 600 mile break in period. Since I'm fairly new to the motorcycles - I would have a professional install the full exhaust and the jet kit so I don't mess anything up.

Perhaps I will wait for awhile to have the exhaust system and jet kit to be installed to allow the glazing process to be achieved. Thanks again!

Old June 6th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #4
metabolism

Thanks Bret! Very informative.

I definitely will look into seeing if the dealership will charge less if I have install the exhaust and jet kit at the same time as the 600 mile service. Good idea!

Glad I posted on the forums.

Old June 6th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #5
metabolism

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
If they say no at first, haggle. In this economy they may be a little hungrier for work so more willing to cut you a deal to get something instead of nothing. Additionally you can use the fact that the fairings and some other stuff has to be removed for the first service so there is some duplicate work - although admittedly not as much. Then there is a volume service discount angle, "hey the mechanic already has to get the bike and put it up on stands ... come on give me a deal"
Good point! Thanks for the good argument point.

Old June 6th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
dont change the bike until you need to. you'll know when you need to. you don't need to right now.

spend your money on gas

Old June 6th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #7
metabolism

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
dont change the bike until you need to. you'll know when you need to. you don't need to right now.

spend your money on gas
Thanks

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #8
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I would save your money and just focus on improving your skills and knowledge about the 250. Take a look into the DIY section of the forum and learn a thing or two, such as doing an oil change.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote