ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:30 AM   #1
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Name: Salim

Motorcycle(s): 2005 SV650S

New Bike Issues

So I finally picked up my bike! Well my friend drove it but its been sitting at the seller's house for a while so new gas helped. I put in a new battery, it starts with full choke and after a couple seconds I can move the choke to about 3/4 and it will idle around 3-4000 rpms.

I even got it to idle around 2 but after adding throttle it would shut off. It also stalled a few times.

I noticed a line is loose and dragged on the ground from the front tire. I'm guessing its a speedometer line? It is connected to the tire and the other end has a metal cap like structure with a prong/wire coming out? When I asked my friend he said the speedo was not working.

We had to drive it home with the choke at 3/4 and idle around 3-4000 rpm. He said it drove fine minus the stalling a few times.

I need some recommendations as I've been waiting to get and ride the bike and now I'm afraid I will need to pay more to fix it or even just sell it. Kinda dissapointed.
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:01 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

To start you need to clean and adjust the carbs, replace the speedo cable, change the oil and the oil filter, replace the air filter, lube the chain, inspect the tire condition, and have the valves adjusted if it has not already been done.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:05 AM   #3
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
To start you need to clean and adjust the carbs, replace the speedo cable, change the oil and the oil filter, replace the air filter, lube the chain, inspect the tire condition, and have the valves adjusted if it has not already been done.
I bought it from my professor and he said in the fall he had it all tuned up, all changed and anything it needed done. I think for the speedometer line I may need to just plug that back in if it will go.

As for the carbs cleaned I can't do that myself same for the valve adjustment and all. Oil change I could do if I had a center stand.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Yep, the speedo cable is fairly durable, so you can probably just reinstall the end into the back of the instrument cluster; it's pretty obvious where it goes.

Like DaBlue1 said, carbs almost definitely need to be cleaned. That's almost certainly your main issue. After sitting that long, the gas probably gummed some of the jets, leading your engine to be fuel-starved, hence the need for the choke. It's a pretty easy process if you've got an hour or two to learn, even a DIY on ninjette I think. You could try some fuel additives that're supposed to clear out that gunk, but once the carbs are gummed bad enough to significantly affect the bike's performance, I haven't had much luck with that stuff.

Regarding the valves, I'd ask the previous owner about that specifically; hopefully he kept receipts/service records. That's generally an expensive maintenance item (~$200+) and people tend to neglect that, even when giving it to a shop for a "tuneup" because it can be a pain. Kawasaki suggests the valves be checked every ~7,500mi.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:05 AM   #5
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Yep, the speedo cable is fairly durable, so you can probably just reinstall the end into the back of the instrument cluster; it's pretty obvious where it goes.

Like DaBlue1 said, carbs almost definitely need to be cleaned. That's almost certainly your main issue. After sitting that long, the gas probably gummed some of the jets, leading your engine to be fuel-starved, hence the need for the choke. It's a pretty easy process if you've got an hour or two to learn, even a DIY on ninjette I think. You could try some fuel additives that're supposed to clear out that gunk, but once the carbs are gummed bad enough to significantly affect the bike's performance, I haven't had much luck with that stuff.

Regarding the valves, I'd ask the previous owner about that specifically; hopefully he kept receipts/service records. That's generally an expensive maintenance item (~$200+) and people tend to neglect that, even when giving it to a shop for a "tuneup" because it can be a pain. Kawasaki suggests the valves be checked every ~7,500mi.
I will ask for some receipts. The bike is a 2009 SE model and it has 1200 miles on it. I will buy seafoam for it today and put more new fuel in. It runs good according to my friend, just needs to keep choke and occassionally stalls. I hope I won't need to spend much on it as I have been waiting all summer to get my license and ride.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:43 AM   #6
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sze5003 View Post
I bought it from my professor and he said in the fall he had it all tuned up, all changed and anything it needed done. I think for the speedometer line I may need to just plug that back in if it will go.

As for the carbs cleaned I can't do that myself same for the valve adjustment and all. Oil change I could do if I had a center stand.
You don't need a center stand for the oil change, sidestand is fine, just make sure the bike is level when checking the sight glass.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I wonder why he had the speedo line unplugged? Before you reconnect it, you might want to check if it needs to be lubed/greased. You can give SeaFoam a try but as someone else mentioned, if the carbs are really gummed up, there's no substitute for a cleaning. Personally, instead of using SeaFoam - a solvent based additive, I would go with a polyester amine (PEA) based detergent additive like Chevron Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner or Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:54 AM   #8
sze5003
ninjette.org member

I heard carb cleaning can cost around $450 bucks but I will try to get a friend that can do it. I have someone coming to check it out and maybe we could figure something out. I'd hate to shell out more money as I need to move soon so it wouldn't be fun.

I'm guessing the speedo line got disconnected, probably when he took the old battery out. Or it may have come out by itself. I'm not so technically inclined when it comes to motors and such I could probably find the carbs and remove them, putting all that stuff back would be an issue.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sze5003 View Post
I heard carb cleaning can cost around $450 bucks but I will try to get a friend that can do it. I have someone coming to check it out and maybe we could figure something out. I'd hate to shell out more money as I need to move soon so it wouldn't be fun.

I'm guessing the speedo line got disconnected, probably when he took the old battery out. Or it may have come out by itself. I'm not so technically inclined when it comes to motors and such I could probably find the carbs and remove them, putting all that stuff back would be an issue.
I got quoted to have my carbs cleaned for 350.00 and someone on here said that was high sdo I doubt 450..... and if it only has 1200 miles on it I seriously doubt the carbs need cleaned. did you completely empty the old tank of gas and add fresh in? check the seafoam.
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:00 AM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
You left out a good wash & wax job
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1000 View Post
I got quoted to have my carbs cleaned for 350.00 and someone on here said that was high sdo I doubt 450..... and if it only has 1200 miles on it I seriously doubt the carbs need cleaned. did you completely empty the old tank of gas and add fresh in? check the seafoam.
$350 to clean carbs?!?! Hell, I'd do it for under $100. It's really not that hard or time-consuming with the right tools. But as you say, it can be a more hassle to remove/reinstall than do the actual cleaning. Great time to start learning though, especially if your friend knows what's going on, try watching him.

I've seen freshly-cleaned carbs gum back up (to really needing to be cleaned again) in a month of non-riding, so I believe mileage isn't really a factor.

OP, if that mileage is right, the valves aren't an issue for you for a while, so you're good there.

SeaFoam is great for keeping clean carbs happy, but if you're going to clean it, I'd check out the detergents that BoomKing suggested.

Also as per BoomKing (good point here), definitely check the speedo cable for crud & re-lube before you put it back, if it's in condition to be re-used. I'm mystified why the speedo was disconnected; it goes nowhere even remotely near the battery so it wouldn't have to be pulled for that, and they're usually tight as hell from the factory, so I find it unlikely it'd just fall out. My concern is that the speedo cable is what "ticks" the odometer. Depending on how tricksy he is, it may've been pulled to stop from accumulating mileage on the bike (aka, that bike may actually have more than 1200mi on it). Not attempting slander, just throwing ideas around.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:27 AM   #12
sze5003
ninjette.org member

You could be right but if I remember correctly the bike was bought in 2010 by the seller, according to the title, and it had just under 1000 miles. The person I bought it from rode it a few weekends for a while then had it tuned up and basically left it in the garage until now.

We did not drain the gas tank. I'm gonna pick up the fuel cleaner after work and maybe seafoam too. I've read of the speedo cables being loose in the ninjas before.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:25 PM   #13
sze5003
ninjette.org member

The speedometer cable went right back in to the instrument panel. As for the seafoam I put some in and then put 93 gas in there. It ran a little better. Still would stall and die when using little choke.

I got it to almost no choke and it idles low and rough but when you give it gas, dead!

Does anyone have a good guide for cleaning the carbs out on the 2009 model. It was raining today so I did not get to do it. My friend has never done that but he will help me on Sunday.

If I could get a good guide that would be great especially for the new gen model. I also bought new spark plugs too to replace. I hope this work...but who knows what will happen :/