ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 10th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
skeeker20
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Drake

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Dropped bike. Cannot downshift ):

Hi! New to the forums.

So I dropped my 2009 ninja 250r on its left side on at a stop trying to fix my pants -___-". It runs fine for the most part but I cannot downshift from 4th gear, it shifts up to 5th and 6th fine. I ride it around but its been a pain this summer not having access to 1 N 2nd or 3rd.

I have no experience with mechanical problems at all. Can anyone tell me where I can start. thank you so much!

7Plcz.jpg

Last futzed with by skeeker20; August 10th, 2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: added picture
skeeker20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Check your shifter and make sure it's not binding up against the shift rod. Also, make sure your clutch is disengaging all the way when it's pulled in. Not sure what else could cause you to not shift in/out.

Old August 10th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3
skeeker20
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Drake

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

The shifter is rubbing against the shift rod but I can move down past it just fine, problem is, it moves down but nothing clicks. How can i check if the clutch isnt disengaging all the way? Thank you so much for the reply (:
skeeker20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4
arnoldc6
ninjette.org member

Name: Arnold

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeker20 View Post
The shifter is rubbing against the shift rod but I can move down past it just fine, problem is, it moves down but nothing clicks. How can i check if the clutch isnt disengaging all the way? Thank you so much for the reply (:
woaw. I am amazed at both the fact that you can take off in fourth gear no props and you can fix your bike while riding on it..

I have no idea what caused that. Sorry I am of no help

Old August 10th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #5
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

It could be you need to re adjust the shifter position to get more torque on the mechanism. Unscrew the bolt at the Asterisk-looking connection at the end of the shifter and adjust the shifter until it is very easy to shift it up n down (while on the rear stand)

Old August 13th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
It's funny because I was just talking about this with Brian Bartlow with the "Feel Like A Pro" ninja rentals. He says someone crashed a bike on the left side and they fixed it up but kept having shifting problems. I don't remember exactly what the symptoms were but he said when the bike tipped over the shift lever got jammed over and bent something the right side engine case. He had to replace the right engine case and the problem was gone. It's going to suck if this is your problem but at least this will give you some insight.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
crashing on the shift lever can do some interesting things.

the external shift mechanism that connects to the shift lever doesnt bend very easily but the grabber forks that move the shift drum can bend. but the fact you can shift up and down from 4/5/6 means those are fine.
you can bend your shift forks or the rods that hold them in which case one side of gears might not work, but the fact that both 4 and 6 work kinda makes that seem less likely. (correct me if im wrong but 4 and 6 are on opposite slides so when going into 5, it has to move 4)
its possible that the spline or the sliding gear for 3/4 is busted up and the sliding gear wont seat into 3. if the OP has his gear numbers wrong and its 2nd that wont go in (shifting down from 3) then i would say positive neutral finder isnt unlocking... maybe debris or the bearings or slide trenches are damaged. i think what rojo might be talking about is replacing the bottom crank case itself. the fork rods and the bearings for the input and output shafts sit in holes in the bottom half of the crank case. the case sides really dont do anything outside of holding the the external shift mechanism in place and if its not cracked to **** it should be doing a good enough job.

i think the most common issue when this happens is that the rotation maxes out (think sine-wave style) from the push of the lever from a bend and cant rotate the drum far enough. try adjusting your shift lever and see if it helps (try both directions for sanity sake)