ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #1
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

What do you tell people?

Now I haven't had anyone fight with me about it or anything but I am curious..

There have been a few times in my life that people have asked me why I did/do something. I always reply nicely depending on what they are asking.

"Sunny! Why in blue blazes did you move to MD?" "Phil's Father."
"Sunny! Why in blue blazes are you scuba diving?" "It's fun?"

Yeah my words are more eloquent than that but you get the gist.

So when someone goes "Sunny! Why in blue blazes do you ride a motorocycle?" My answer? "Because it's freedom." If they don't get it then I say "Tyke is my Black Pearl.." And then they go ooooh...

If I were to ask you "Why in blue blazes you ride?" what would you say?

Old January 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Because taking the time to learn how to ride a bike is like making a new friend. It has it's own personality. It's own secrets and it's own areas of expertise. Also, because I want to, but that usually doesn't satisfy most people.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Depends if I think they are really asking because they want to know, or if they are asking in a way that what they really mean is "how could you be so careless to ride a motorcycle". If it's the latter, I'm more inclined to change the subject or say something humorous. If it's the former, here's what I try...

I ask them if they like skiing. More often than not, they do. I let them know that I used to as well. But then realized I could have that same type of fun all day long without ever having to stop for that silly chairlift. And it's not 18 degrees out and snowing. It's not much of a hyperbole for me either; the same parts of my brain that scream out "I'm liking this!" when I'm on a challenging slope are the exact same parts that enjoy riding a bike quickly either on a twisty road or on the track. And I haven't been skiing in years.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I ask them if they like skiing. More often than not, they do. I let them know that I used to as well. But then realized I could have that same type of fun all day long without ever having to stop for that silly chairlift. And it's not 18 degrees out and snowing. It's not much of a hyperbole for me either; the same parts of my brain that scream out "I'm liking this!" when I'm on a challenging slope are the exact same parts that enjoy riding a bike quickly either on a twisty road or on the track. And I haven't been skiing in years.
Couldn't have said it any better - the perfect way to describe my passion for two wheels.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #5
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BlueTyke View Post
"Sunny! Why in blue blazes did you move to MD?" "Phil's Father."
"Sunny! Why in blue blazes are you scuba diving?" "It's fun?"
"Sunny! Why in blue blazes do you ride a motorocycle?"

It looks like you really like BLUE.
I usually answer "Why not? or Because!"
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I used to enjoy skiing until I had to have a hip replacement (not from old age, but a gunshot) I like sailing, bicycle riding, SCUBA diving, sky diving, and motorcycle riding. When people ask why I like all that Type A stuff, my answer is that it represents freedom and that it keeps me young.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #7
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

I have never been skiing in my life... Actually never really been to the snow. This includes living in Baltimore all of last winter. We had a light smattering of snow but not enough to play in... This year is supposed to be more white but we will see.

I get the story though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
It looks like you really like BLUE.
I usually answer "Why not? or Because!"
Yah think?? But I have never heard it called Black Blazes...

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #8
aloh
lolwut

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I decided to ride because its something very unique and fun. When i was a kid riding a bicycle was an absolute blast! Attatch a motor to it and it makes for even more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
Im sure kkim would call it green blazes

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #9
travis5018
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

My reply is "Because there is no damn parking spots for cars at FSU!!!"
travis5018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #10
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Hehe. Sorry parking is not a laughing matter but to be the only reason to ride?

And yes Aloh (Alex), Kelly I am sure would say that.

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #11
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I always wanted to have a motorcycle since I was a little kid (though I suppose I still am a little kid to many of you) so I had the chance to get one and I did. Now I'm absolutely hooked, it's just so much fun! That's usually plenty reason for me, and if they don't think it is then too bad for them
If I feel they're asking, as Alex put it, "why are you so careless" then I give them a sarcastic answer. A question put that way doesn't warrant an intelligent response. It seems I get this form of the question a lot as a teenager oh well.
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #12
Sailariel

Kazam, There is nothing careless involved in riding a motorcycle. It requires considerably more skill and intelligence than driving a cage. Motorcycles are far more manoeverable than a car, and will certainly stop in a shorter distance. In most of the world a motorcycle is considered intelligent transportation. My sister lives in Europe. At $9.00 a gallon for gas--a motorcycle makes sense to her. She has been riding 30 years.

Old January 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #13
kazam58

Alex, I absolutely understand and appreciate your logic, thank you. I was being careful when I went with a 250 as my first bike. I take pains to make sure I am never careless. It's more that everywhere I go I have someone telling me to be careful or watch out. Either that or people seem to presume that because I'm young and I ride a sportbike I am being inherently reckless and will end up in the obituary page the next day. Sometimes I simply think that people assume too much.

Old January 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #14
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

"It's my Dad's fault! "
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #15
kazam58

lol, i'm sure you use that excuse in a very whiny voice, like it was forced upon you

Old January 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #16
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

not at all - he started me riding when I was 6 - over 20 years later, it's only natural!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #17
kazam58

You're quite lucky. Although my dad always wanted a motorcycle, I had to get myself into it.

Old January 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #18
Sailariel

Kazam, You bought the best 250 available today. If you look at the various MC magazines, you will see one rave review after another. I have been riding 50+ years and never crashed. It is not because I rode like some old lady. It was because, like you, I started on a 250 and worked my way up. Of course technology being what it is, changed that equation. The 250 Ninja performs better than the Triumph 650 of the 70`s. My 250 is all the bike I want and need. In Europe a 250 is a big bike. Your Ninja is a technological marvel. Trust me, unless you tell someone that you are riding a 250, they would never guess. I regularly ride with friends who have BMW 1100`s, a friend with a 990 Ducati (who has ordered an 09 Ninja 250),and people with 750 Suzukis and larger Hondas. We cruise along, and I have no problem keeping up. I may shift more often, but, so what--I still have fun and get great gas milage. One final note. I don`t think there is a more comfortable sport bike made. I think you have your act together and don`t have to justify anything to anyone.

Old January 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #19
kazam58

Thank you for the kind words, Alex
I did my research on the Ninjette before I bought it, and every time I read another review, I wanted one so much more. It has plenty of power for me and I must say that even the first time I sat on it, I was amazed by it's stability, especially at low speeds. It's a confidence inspiring bike and I absolutely love it. One day, in the far future, I may step up to bigger bike, but I certainly wouldn't do so without keeping a 250 around and taking a few good riding courses, including a few track days, to make sure I know how to use all the excess power.
And I know what you mean when you talk about 250cc being big in Europe. I often travel to the Czech Republic to visit family and you see little 125's all over the place and then even smaller scooters. Last time I was there was almost a year and a half ago and the gas prices were outrageous. We took a road trip to Croatia. It was not cheap. Anyway, sometimes I wish Aprilia imported their 125 street machines, those must be screamers!

Old January 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #20
Sailariel

Andy, I know what you mean. I was born in Slovenia. My sister lives in Austria and rides a 250 Honda.

Old January 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #21
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, CR125R

Well I know one day I will die, so I enjoy my life while I am here. I enjoy riding my motorcycle and I am careful, but at the same time enjoy it while its there. I figure if I die I will at least be doing something I love. But don't get the wrong idea, I am not one of those people that fly around on city streets, I am careful and aware.

I actually live by a quote that James Dean once said (have a tattoo of it) "DREAM as if you'll live forever, LIVE as if you'll die tomorrow." I look at it everyday to help me as a person. It basically means don't let anything get in your way no matter how long you have left on earth. Live life to the fullest and do everything in your power, its should be you that makes yourself happy, not the events that happen that should effect your mood. So when people ask me I say that quote, and when they say "what?" I show them. I am actually going to put the sticker on my bike at the very bottom of my fairing as well, It is already on my Jeep.
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #22
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

I hate it when people who don't ride make sure to tell you their opinion about how dangerous bikes are everytime they see you.

Or always want to tell you a story about someone who got hurt riding. Or would say "I told you so", if you fall.

SAVE IT!
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #23
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Talking

Kuro, I know exactly what you mean, my Mum told me about an accident that a couple of bikers had (they were going like idiots though) in the near by twisties. I said to her, now would you tell me that if they were cars? She went quiet

My parents always said when I am old enough to get my license I can get a bike, then it changed to when I have a full time job and can buy the bike outright I could. I got the that point in June last year and much to my parents disgust I got my Ninja There was NOTHING they could do to stop me! My grandad was encouraging me to get one as he used to race motorbikes and could see how much I wanted one, needless to say, I let him have a ride

I was talking to my dad on the phone a few hours ago while he was travelling home and this biker in front was varying his speed and Dad was getting annoyed and said f&^%@^g bikers. I then responded to him that I am a biker and not all of us ride like idiots and stick to the posted speed limit. He was quiet after that

To me getting a road bike is something I have wanted to do since I was very young and I just feel free while riding, like I don't have a care in the world, this is the feeling I ride for
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #24
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
I have never been skiing in my life... Actually never really been to the snow. This includes living in Baltimore all of last winter. We had a light smattering of snow but not enough to play in... This year is supposed to be more white but we will see.

I get the story though..

Great response!

You're very close to Ski Liberty and Ski Roundtop. January is "Learn to Ski" month with great deals. You should check them out and go for a weekend. You will enjoy it!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #25
conchwanab
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

always wanted to ride when I younger but always thought in the back of my mind that I needed to mature enough so I would respect a bike so I would'nt get myself killed.I was proud of myself for getting the 250 and not listening to all the people who said my first bike should be a 650 or bigger.The 250 has proved to be more than enough for honing first time street bike skills!!
My wife and I want to get a 900 Vulcan later so we can go for cuises together.For what I tell people though,I really try to ignore most of the negative BS that I hear.If I would have listened to all the negative things people have to offer I would'nt leave my house!!
conchwanab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #26
KnoxNinja
BRKDWN.

Name: Jimi

Motorcycle(s): 89 GPX250R, 89 GPZ500S

Back to the topic, I simply have a death wish
KnoxNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #27
conchwanab
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

yeah, plain and simple rippin down the road on 2 wheels just kicks butt!!
conchwanab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #28
jdesiano1
Stealth like Ninja, Lol

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): Red 2008 250

"If you have to ask you wouldn't understand."
jdesiano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #29
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdesiano1 View Post
"If you have to ask you wouldn't understand."
Heheh, I like that one. For me, it started very young as my uncle(s) had a motorcycle and Mom had a picture of Dad and I on it when I was probably just a few years old. Then Dad bought my brother & I a old Yamaha dirt bike when we were barely teenagers.
Tony

Old January 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #30
Sailariel

You can always tell them that you are prone to depression and that your shrink told you to generate Endorphins. Wonder if you could put a claim in to Blue Cross?

Old January 16th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #31
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

LOL I have medical through Johns Hopkins... I doubt.. it would work.

Old January 16th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #32
Sailariel

Sunny, I would love to submit a claim for grins and giggles.

Old January 16th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #33
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

I think it would be funny... especially if you can find a shrink to support you... But then these days you can't claim it as a tax deduction anymore

Old January 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #34
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

Because I can!

Old January 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #35
kkim

Quote:
I'd tell you, "It's really none of your business", if asked in an incredulous manner.

Bikes have been a part of my life since the age of 16. Since then, I may have had years where I have not owned a bike, but it was not due to lack of wanting one. Life had higher priorities at different stages of my life. I would skirt in and out of owning dirt and street bikes, but circumstances made continued ownership an impossibility.

The bikes may not have been there, but the desire and longing for one was. Now that I'm at a place in my life that I can do what I want to do... I do exactly that.

The Ninja 250 has been my first street bike in about 5 years or so. When I got it and made the ride to work vid, I sent a link off to each of my family members to let them know what I'd been up to in the last few months. My older sister, which I learned from my brother-in-law, was livid that I had taken up riding again and the vid of me riding to work convinced her that I had lost my mind!!! "What is wrong with him!!", he relayed. I told him that if she could not understand what what motorcycles had meant to me during my entire life, then she had no idea of who I really was as a person and the interests I've had throughout my life. (translation= I couldn't give a flying &^)* what she thought of my taking up riding)

I spoke to her recently and she kinda said she was PO'd at her husband for letting me know her reaction to my vid. She had thought it over later and understood and remembered what bikes had meant to me growing up and she harbored no ill feelings of me taking up riding again. I accepted her reasoning and let it go at that. She does live in SF, after all.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #36
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

so i can race people and pickup sexy women

and because i love the feel of the wind on my arms and back as it flows through my t-shirt
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #37
250biker

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250R

I really don't know what to say other than i feel great when i ride. I don't know how to put it other than it just feels right.
250biker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #38
G250RSC
ninjette.org member

Name: Gene

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Since my wife hates to ride......FREEDOM!!! Being on the open road, hitting the twisties and riding with friends!!
G250RSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #39
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250biker View Post
I really don't know what to say other than i feel great when i ride. I don't know how to put it other than it just feels right.
Nathan, That is not in the least surprising. When we do things that are pleasurable to us, the chemistry in our brain changes--altering the balance between Endorphins and Dopamine. Current antidepressant medications started by the drug Prozac and its similarly acting drugs like Zoloft, Wellbutrin,and Lexapro, to mention a few, all work on this balance. Add riding in the fresh air and sunlight and you have the optimum environment for generating Endorphins.

Old January 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #40
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
I tell them git on one and find out! hahaha