ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 30th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Question Cloudy Oil Sight Glass

My oil sight glass is cloudy and has been getting more so over the last few months, I am assuming it's to do with the temperature being rather low and that I do fairly short journeys on my bike it gets some condensation?

Since my bike is going to be grounded for the next few weeks I may as well chuck in an oil change so that will be done soon, just wondering what causes this and if it's super serious?

Sorry the pic is a bit rubbish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-30_15-10-38_884.jpg (55.3 KB, 57 views)
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

That doesn't look like the classic cold weather/condensation milky color nor does it look like aerated or foamy oil. That looks more like a good size amount of water/coolant in your oil.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
That doesn't look like the classic cold weather/condensation milky color nor does it look like aerated or foamy oil. That looks more like a good size amount of water/coolant in your oil.
Ah ****

Suggestions on fix's?

My oil itself isn't milky, it's still lovely and new looking from the sight glass when I tip it to level. And you would have thought the oil would have emulsified with the coolant turning it a funny colour?

Old December 30th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
......I am assuming it's to do with the temperature being rather low and that I do fairly short journeys on my bike it gets some condensation?.........
My oil itself isn't milky, it's still lovely and new looking from the sight glass when I tip it to level.
If the oil looks good, then your assumption is correct.

Water vapor is a natural part of the exhaust gases, and it is pumped down into the crankcase while the rings-cylinder are cold and leaking more than normal.

Maybe the crankcase is not properly ventilated (modification to snorkel?)

Open the oil intake for a while when the environment is dry.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Open the oil intake for a while when the environment is dry.
The environment is NEVER dry

... I think I have answered my question, I took it out for a good ride, was quite aggressive on the clutch as to warm up the oil and it disappears after it's warm.

I'll do my oil change later this month and see what's what then.

Thanks very much for the help! - If I knew how to rate posts as useful I would

Old December 30th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Condensation will come back after the air trapped inside the crankcase cools down.

The amount of water vapor that any mass of air can hold is proportional to its temperature.

While the air cools down, it must let go certain amount of vapor.

That vapor will find its dew point or temperature of condensation whenever it contacts cool surfaces, like the sight glass (which transfers the cooler ambient temperature very well to the internal surface).

The pressure of that vapor should naturally make the excess leave the crankcase via the vent, equalizing in's and out's relative humidity (then, no more condensation after everything balances); that is why I asked about the snorkel and opening the fill up port for a while (after the engine and oil are cool).

You are very welcome.

Old December 30th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
equalizing in's and out's relative humidity (then, no more condensation after everything balances)
Unfortunatly the relative humidity outside has been very high, their hasn't been a day for the last three months where it hasn't rained at least once, the roads have never dried and it's just really damp everywhere, i'm lucky I live so far south "southernmost point of britain excluding jersey" and on a hill as most of Britain is flooded.

This in itself probably explains it. My coo lent level is good.

Old December 30th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Unfortunatly the relative humidity outside has been very high, their hasn't been a day for the last three months where it hasn't rained at least once, the roads have never dried and it's just really damp everywhere......
It is very possible that the same condensation phenomenon over the cool surface of the road (specially in the early mornings) contributed to your lowside crash.

Sometimes that thin layer of condensation is microscopic (we cannot see it), but mixed with fine dust and oil, makes a perfect lubricant for our tires.

Old December 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
It is very possible that the same condensation phenomenon over the cool surface of the road (specially in the early mornings) contributed to your lowside crash.

Sometimes that thin layer of condensation is microscopic (we cannot see it), but mixed with fine dust and oil, makes a perfect lubricant for our tires.
More than likely, it had rained all morning till about noon, that crash happened at 3pm, and I had been riding since noon, the roads are never dry here, they are constantly wet in the winder so the riding conditions are pretty much the same, but I think it had long enough to dry for it to evaporate the water and leave behind a slippery thicker residue.

I'm going to clean my tyres with dish soap at some point, they feel especially slippery, more so today, maybe I got some chain lube on them I can't figure it out.

Old December 30th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Oil and Diesel on the road become more dangerous when water is present, since they float over the film of water and the tire is fully exposed to their "lubricating" effect.

Oil and Diesel on dry roads sinks down to the bottom of the micro-valleys; hence, not the full contact patches' areas reach down there.

Many years ago, my brother had a very bad accident in a Jeep that slid and rolled over several times on a road that was just slightly wet.

Glad your oil is not contaminated with coolant !!!