ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #1
NoSkillsMcSuckington
ninjette.org member

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): Honda CBR250R

Tire Time?

We're noob enough not to have had to replace tires yet. My wife's tire, though it has good tread remaining, is pretty squared off on top. If you run your hand across it, you can feel a definite little ridge before it drops off the sides. I guess this is normal, since she is still cautious in corners, but I wonder if this ridge is dangerous. I'm thinking it would do something weird if she leaned over and went past the ridge, like suddenly fall over to a harder angle. My question is, is this a hazard, and is it time to replace the tire? I don't want her riding on something that could do some unexpected funky stuff at speed.
NoSkillsMcSuckington is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Your concern is valid, and it sounds like the tire has flattened out a reasonable amount. The behavior right at that tipping point can feel weird, but probably would be amplified at slow to medium speeds, as when going at higher speeds the bike gains more stability and wouldn't feel as wonky right on that ridge. Tires are cheap. Piece of mind is always a worthwhile purchase.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Front or rear?

Pictures?

Tires are easy to change, if you have the tools and some room.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #4
NoSkillsMcSuckington
ninjette.org member

Thanks Alex. That's pretty much my line of thinking, and I'm going to call our dealer today and get them to order a tire. They have about 7k miles on them. Probably should go ahead and get a front too huh?

Rear Motofool. I'll get a pic in a few minutes. I was thinking about doing it myself, but have never changed a tire. Not sure if I would be confident enough to make the attempt.

On another note, I traded in my CBR and came over the Kawasaki side. It's more gooder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N1000.JPG (122.1 KB, 23 views)

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #5
NoSkillsMcSuckington
ninjette.org member

Pic. You can see the ridge pretty much where the dirt stops. It feels worse than it looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ninjette Rear.JPG (68.6 KB, 28 views)

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

It seems that the tire has some meat still, but if deformed that bad, it can make the handling tricky at low speeds and over wet pavement.

Have you tried yourself on some turns?

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #7
NoSkillsMcSuckington
ninjette.org member

Not yet. It seems like it did that suddenly, it was fairly rounded a few weeks ago. I was thinking about trying it out later on today, but it's raining with storms in the forecast for the a.m., so might could try it this afternoon. I would like to see what it feels like. Definitely going to replace, but curious as to how it would respond, and absolutely don't want to take any chances with her. Riding with the wife is fun, but worrisome at times.

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #8
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You need to get your wife to enjoy cornering more. Maybe a school or trackday with instructors would help.

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #9
NoSkillsMcSuckington
ninjette.org member

I'd love to do that for both of us, but there is nothing even remotely nearby. She is continually improving, but cornering has been an uncomfortable thing for her since day 1. She had a couple of setbacks early on, but I'm proud of her progress. She just prefers riding on more open, less curvy roads, whereas cornering is the most fun part of riding to me. To each their own I suppose.

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #10
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillsMcSuckington View Post
On another note, I traded in my CBR and came over the Kawasaki side. It's more gooder.

OMG I love the 1000.

You're now AWESOME!
aeroblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

She is probably holding the handlebar too tight.

Once she learns to counter-steer properly and the relax the grip, she will see that turns are effortless.

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #12
NoSkillsMcSuckington
ninjette.org member

Thanks aeroblade. It's a Ninja 1000. Same thing, just with fairing. Loving it.

I'll pass that on to her about strangling the handlebars. I think part of the issue is gravel in corners. We have a lot of narrow roads around here with gravel on the outside. Trucks going off the edge a little tend to kick gravel into the turns. I know that freaks her out. Once she sees that a corner is clear, she will accelerate out, but slows down quite a bit on entry to make sure it's clean. I guess I really can't fault that. I probably should do it more myself.

Old March 30th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #13
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Here's what it will look like when its fully worn out and no I didn't lock up the rear, there's like 3 other bare spots around the tire. I always thought these tires handled kinda crappy from start to finish so the transitioning over that edge point never really bothered me. I sound like a broken record but if you want a tire that will endow confidence into its rider and have a nice solid predictable feeling, any Radial tire will feel better then any bias-ply.

rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #14
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Doesn't look that bad to me.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #15
aeroblade
Doh!

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Yea my mistake I got mixed up lol
aeroblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #16
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
I'd love to do that for both of us, but there is nothing even remotely nearby. She is continually improving, but cornering has been an uncomfortable thing for her since day 1. She had a couple of setbacks early on, but I'm proud of her progress. She just prefers riding on more open, less curvy roads, whereas cornering is the most fun part of riding to me. To each their own I suppose.
NOLA

Houston Motorsport Park

If you look you will find!

Old April 12th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #17
NoSkillsMcSuckington
ninjette.org member

Thanks again for all the info guys. I'm been researching tires for the last two weeks. Our dealer quoted me $163 for the road winner in 130/70-17. Not including mounting. I accidentally laughed in his face. Currently looking for a good option in a radial, preferably 140. I like the bt-016s, as they seem awesome on my 1000, but not sure I want to go with a 150 size. More research in my future.

Old April 13th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #18
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Get her a set of Avon Distenzas. Awesome supermoto tires, if she is worried in gravel & sand, these will help. I have Conti supermoto tires on my 300, they hook up great. I'd recommend those too, but the Avons will last a loooong time.

I don't blame her for lacking confidence with the stockers. They made me feel insecure too!
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Don't you just hate that under steering problem though? New tires and setting up the suspension helps
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #20
NoSkillsMcSuckington
ninjette.org member

The steering takes some getting used to. Lots of input and then falls over. I think I have the suspension set up pretty good..might need a little tweaking. I'm going to run this stock tire out and then put on a 55 series. Didn't you do that @Jiggles?

Old April 13th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #21
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Hmmm.. I've never seen anyone recommend avon roadriders on this forum, however I run them on my 500 and they are an absolutely amazing tire. Got 11k out of a rear (was at the wear bars at 10k but I was too lazy to change it) and my front is now at over 13k with tons of tread left. I ride the crap out of my bike, frequent WOT and heavy acceleration all the time and probably a good 70-80% of my riding is commuting and they have never squared off. Traction in the rain and over crap surfaces is amazing too.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #22
mlj2093
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawi 250 SE

I would say 150 is a tad big for the stock rim. I put 120/70/17 and 140/70/17 BT45s on my 250 and the handling is night and day. Absolutely love the BT45s.
mlj2093 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #23
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
The steering takes some getting used to. Lots of input and then falls over. I think I have the suspension set up pretty good..might need a little tweaking. I'm going to run this stock tire out and then put on a 55 series. Didn't you do that @Jiggles?
Yep, it helps alot
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote