ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 5th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

How did I recover and not low side?

So I was turning into a parking lot today, and the lot had fancy tile making a fancy design. I thought nothing of it and kinda came in for the turn a little to joyful, and the bike totally slipped out from under me. Thing is I totally caught it purely from the throttle. I'm not sure what I did, but my instincts sure saved my ass. I've been on dirt bikes for 15 years, so I guess something I learned from that just kicked in, but how did I possibly stop the bike from sliding out from under me? If anyone wants a visual, I looked like that guy on Twist of the Wrist II who rides through the sand with that bike meant to catch itself on a low side. Definitely freaked me out afterwards haha.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Glad ya saved it... Stupid fancy tiles, asphalt sealer, fancy lines, and other slippery crap folks like to try an design places to drive with
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurodox View Post
.........I'm not sure what I did
= = = = =
Quote:
I've been on dirt bikes for 15 years.......
Kudos to you, Drew !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #4
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Stupid fancy tiles, asphalt sealer, fancy lines, and other slippery crap folks like to try an design places to drive with
Amen to that!
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #5
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

Great instincts!

Old May 5th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #6
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

Old May 5th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The last time I really felt the front slipping really bad, all I did was relax on the bars and keep my throttle consistent. I really didn't have time to react other than that; I didn't have time to think, just do whatever was second nature.

Thankfully, my mountain biking background has taught me to relax, and let the bike do the hard part. I can upload it to youtube tomorrow so we can compare notes on sliding front ends.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #8
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Quote:
I've been on dirt bikes for 15 years
My guess is this had a LOT to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
The last time I really felt the front slipping really bad, all I did was relax on the bars and keep my throttle consistent. I really didn't have time to react other than that; I didn't have time to think, just do whatever was second nature.

Thankfully, my mountain biking background has taught me to relax, and let the bike do the hard part. I can upload it to youtube tomorrow so we can compare notes on sliding front ends.

Yea, bikes are reaaaaaallllllyyy good at stabalizing themselves. They're practically gyroscopes. Is us jack***es who jump on top of them that completely messes with their dynamics. The more you can let the bike do it's thing (relax and let her correct a slip), the more likely you are to stay rubber side down.

Old May 5th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #9
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I really have to work on my relax, and confidence... I was way confident until hitting the highway my first day and it started raining... After mr toads wild ride I have been about a mess, but I'm working it out day by day.

Old May 5th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #10
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

Riding dirt definitely makes you better on the street...Good save!!!
kirk595x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #11
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

What also helps and what racing instructors recommend as #1 (or #2) solution to the sliding problem is "get your body lower to the ground". This moves the combined center of gravity lower, standing the bike up in process, thus increasing the contact patch. Sometimes it's enough.

Personal experience: went into a corner too fast after passing another rider right before corner. Right around the apex the front tire slid out. Camera shows the bike "bump" and me dropping the head and inside shoulder further down, then I just rode it out. It happened so fast I didnt do anything consciously, it was simply the physics taking over and knocking me down lower. Good thing I ride light on bars so the movement of the body did not translate into any input on bars/throttle.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sliding doesn't crash a bike. responding to slides poorly crashes a bike.

front slides... rear slides... slides happen all the time. if you continue to ride the bike, 9/10 times you barely notice it and it comes back cleanly and smoothely. if you get scared and suddenly do something that will crash the bike if you weren't sliding let alone while you are sliding... guess what happens!

Old May 6th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #13
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
sliding doesn't crash a bike. responding to slides poorly crashes a bike.
Yeah, I guess I reacted correctly. I'd say I'm light on the bars always. When the front end started to slip my upper body and elbows started falling toward the ground while my arms stayed loosely on the bars. I'm just happy it found traction again before the curb! I've had a few little slides doing some joyful turns and my line had me go over a manhole. Just a little wobble, but this slide was insane! Probably like half a second of sliding while trying to turn into a parking lot entrance haha. I don't understand it, but the physics behind bikes are awesome.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if you have enough time to think about what to do while your front is sliding, apply gas smoothely.

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I reacted correctly.............Probably like half a second of sliding while trying to turn into a parking lot entrance haha. I don't understand it, but the physics behind bikes are awesome.
http://books.google.com/books?id=rJT...ion%29&f=false

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
if you have enough time to think about what to do while your front is sliding, apply gas smoothely.
....releasing load from the front rubber patch.

Have you seen any front skidding during a leaned wheelie (out-cornering wheelie)?

http://daviddilworthdesign.com/desig...OffGround1.jpg

http://daviddilworthdesign.com/desig...oundClose1.jpg

No, because there is no load on the patch and the lean and direction of the bike are commanded solely by the gyroscopic effect of the rear wheel.

Old May 8th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #17
toddblue68
ninjette.org member

Name: Toad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
What also helps and what racing instructors recommend as #1 (or #2) solution to the sliding problem is "get your body lower to the ground". This moves the combined center of gravity lower, standing the bike up in process, thus increasing the contact patch. Sometimes it's enough.
What he said... Have had this happen on the track, bike slides, boot scraps the ground, but if you have your body in the correct position you can stand the bike up (or more to the point let it stand up when the tires gain traction) because you have a relaxed hands/arm position to allow it. It took me a week of contemplation to figure out why I didn't go down the first time it happened.
toddblue68 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.