ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 9th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #1
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

tips for new pavement?

So I leave work yesterday and as I turn out of the parking lot I see that they had just finsihed repaving the road starting about 100 feet from where I enter. "Fresh Oil" warning signs and all, it is very black and very shiny

This is a three lane road and I noticed that the two right lanes are done, while the the most left one is still the old surface. I make a beeline for the left lane thinking I'll outsmart these guys. Unfortunately they must have had a productive day and my lane also transitions into the new surface after a bit. So I slow down to just a bit under the 50mph limit (pissing off the cages behind me without a doubt), use BP more than usual in these modest turns to avoid leaning as much as possible and hit the breaks early and extra gentle. No big deal as I finally got through this section, but it certainly felt very slippery and I was not very confident going through it.

Any hints on how to better deal with such brandnew and oily pavement? I'll need to reread Proficient Motorcycling too as I'm sure it's in there as well.

Thanks!
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #2
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Keeping the bike upright as much as possible, steady roll on/off throttle, relaxed arms, avoid the rear brake.
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMagnum View Post
.........Any hints on how to better deal with such brandnew and oily pavement?.....
I would say that the best approach would be not to roll over it.

Your tires and some parts become coated with chunks of fresh asphalt, which is hard to remove (any products made from Petroleum is bad for your rubber).

Automobile and truck tires leave scuff marks on new asphalt pavement, which become a problem to future riders.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #4
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Thank you guys. Unfortunately this is the only out from my work parking lot, but I can take a right after a couple hundred yards and take an alternate route home. I'll probably do that for the next few days to avoid riding on the new surface until it has somewhat settled.
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #5
toddblue68
ninjette.org member

Name: Toad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

Avoid it the first couple of rains on it....
toddblue68 is offline   Reply With Quote