ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 5th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #1
clum88
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

My Gear Reviews

Hey all! I'm a gear junkie/whore/nerd like many of you on here (let's face it, we're all enablers when it comes to safety )

Been riding since last August. Chicago's had some funky weather as always, so some riding took place in March. About 2000 miles under my belt, in weather from 35 to 90 degrees, day or night, dry or torrential downpour on I-90.

Figured I'd put out my $0.02 on various brands and comparions. Between my brother and I, we've got more gear than we should.

Helmets
1. Shoei RF-1000 $350ish - Originally bought in 2007 years ago when I thought I was gonna be getting an MC but didn't. Last year, I got the 250R and rode in it. At the time it seemed like it fit (an XL) and the dealer was no help with proper fitting. Vented well, a little loud (probably due to size).

2. AGV K3 Donkey Rossi Graphic (Large) $220 - Purchased 2 months ago, been on it for 1000 miles. Lighter than the RF (mainly due to it being thermoplastic and thus not meeting SNELL). Vents better, visibility is just as good. Chin curtain is loosely fitting, so every time the lid goes on or off, just gotta push its tabs back in between the EPS and shell. Shield change isn't as easy as the RF, and lacks a shield lock. No issues with the visor opening during head checks at highway speed (60-70mph). Lots of compliments and chuckles at the graphics. Held up during a 20 min highway downpour.

3. Arai Vector 2 Blarney (Medium) $575 - Purchased a week ago. Been riding about 300 miles in it. My favorite lid by far. As light as the K3 BUT is a fiberglass construction exceeding SNELL 2010 standards. Visibility is the best of the bunch. My peripheral vision can't see the sides. Vents incredibly, is also the quietest. Comfort is awesome. Removable 5mm layers of foam on the temples and cheek pads to customize the fit. Details are awesome. Shield change is difficult at first, but they include a DVD with a demonstration. I should've picked on up from the very beginning. The rear wing and chimney vent is held on by double stick tape so in the event of an off, it won't catch anything and simply break off. Brow vents work really well as Arai felt they'd compromise shell integrity by drilling more holes than necessary. Glasses can slip on easily (though I ride with contacts).

4. I've tried out but don't own the Scorpion EXO-R410, Icon Airmada, Bell Vortex, Shark S700. All great lids. EXO-R410 and S700 didn't vent as much, Airmada and Vortex vented REALLY well. My brother liked the Vortex so well he picked one up. He's also got the Scorpion EXO-700 and the Icon Alliance helmet. All are comfy, the 700 being the quietest and Bell flowing the best.

Frankly, the helmet's gotta fit. Take out the cheek pads first, put the helmet on and see if it twists around the crown of your head. Size accordingly, then re-install the cheek pads. I'm a believer in protecting your noggin since it's the best tool you have to use while on your bike, so SNELL is important (watch some videos of their testing). Noise is a non-issue for me, I wear foam earplugs. Venting and shield changes should be to your liking. Small details like internal sun visors (like the S700), emergency release cheek pads (R410), magnetic chin strap (Vortex), are nice features to have and I liked all of them.

Gloves

1. Alpinestars SP-2 Full Gauntlet (XL) $120 - Very comfortable, no problems with stitching or QC issues. Good amount of feel, almost too much when I'm buzzing along I-290 the vibration leaves my hands feeling tingly no matter how light on the bars I am. Didn't stretch out a full size. Held up during the rain storm really well. Hands get cold after riding for an hour averaging speeds of 50 when it's 45 degress or below. Vents so-so, but I'd say anything around 90 degrees everything's hot regardless. Perforation on the back of the hand and by the soft finger knuckles

2. RS Taichi GP-EVO Full Gauntlet (XL) $220 - Just as comfortable as the SP-2, with lots more tech. The split knuckle makes it easier to make a fist or grip around the bars. Intake vents on top of the knuckles and between the fingers. KNOX scaphoid protector pucks to minimize blowing out your wrists in the event of an off. Good amounts of exhaust venting in the leather and near the cuff. Kangaroo leather palm is EXTREMELY tactile IMO. Dual wrist closure takes a few seconds longer to get on and off compared to the SP-2. If I were to upgrade, I'd go for either Held's Phantom II or Titans, or Knox's Handroid.

Jackets

1. Z1R Dart Jacket (L) $200 - My first jacket, got it at a good deal, and I figured a leather jacket could carry me through the colder weather. The red textile portion zips off leaving mesh for some airflow.

2. RS Taichi GMX Motion Jacket (52 XXL) $540 - Definitely worth it. The leather is softer than the Z1R or my brother's Icon jacket. Fully perforated, nice air scoops in the shoulders, the Keprotec stretch panels, the CE certified armor with a full zip in liner and KNOX back protector. The air hump isn't cumbersome by any means, I wear a backpack to class and it's not uncomfortable. I've ridden in a freak 90 degree day and anything above 40mph this moves air. Comparable to my brother's Alpinestars GPR textile jacket with airflow. Got caught in the storm in this, and it kept me dry. I was more worried about ruining it and stretching out the leather than I was anything else.

Pants

1. Sartso Kevlar Jeans (32) $150 - Deep front pockets, 34" inseam (I'm 5'8") and they're long enough to cover my boots even while sitting on the bike. Lots of kevlar within, and has pockets in the knees for armor to be added. I'd say it's pretty true to size. I'll be investing in a matching pair of RS Taichi GMX leather pants later, or at least their armored pants. Or Motoport's pants.

Footwear

1. Sidi Cobra Boots $250 - Very good feel with the shifter and rear brake pedal. I'll ride to class and walk around campus with no problem. Adds about an inch or so to height. It's got a side zipper and velcro at the top. Allows for either pants to be tucked in or over. I'll upgrade to track boots once I start hitting the track. I like them all black as it keeps a pretty low profile.

Thanks for checkin in and reading/looking at the pics, hopefully I can help on sizing or experience with shops. Definitely recommend MotoLiberty in Texas, Revzilla and SportbikeTrackGear. I've done exchanges/returns and had communication with all of them via email or phone.

Rubber side down, dress for the slide not the ride.
clum88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

I like that RS jacket. Nice write-ups, and nice camera shots.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote