ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #1
LuckyDog
ninjette.org member

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Rear seat cowl help

ok .... Sorry to bother you guys .... but it seems that I lost a Grommet from the cowl I bought. Can any of you guys that have the cowl please take a picture of it. So I may be able to know what I am looking for in the car. I'd hate to spend $15 to buy this part from CheapCycleParts.com. Item underlined below is the part I am referring to. Thanks in advance.

LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #2
kkim

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #3
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

That looks like the one that is always coming out on mine, look down inside, under the rear seat/cowl, and see if it just fell out, mine has a habit of doing that, as I frequently lock my helmet on with it. I need another one also because mine is ripped on one side. If my cowl don't stay down in the rear, I know that grommet is loose or has fell out, otherwise it just pops down.

nb

Old February 28th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #4
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Name: oscar

Motorcycle(s): blk ninja 250 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog View Post
ok .... Sorry to bother you guys .... but it seems that I lost a Grommet from the cowl I bought. Can any of you guys that have the cowl please take a picture of it. So I may be able to know what I am looking for in the car. I'd hate to spend $15 to buy this part from CheapCycleParts.com. Item underlined below is the part I am referring to. Thanks in advance.

i saw some at the Lowe's hardware store where the washers and bolts and stuff like that is at

Old March 1st, 2009, 12:10 AM   #5
LuckyDog
ninjette.org member

What kind of material is it ? rubber ? and does it make the cowl lock in place ?

Old March 1st, 2009, 12:33 AM   #6
kkim

it's rubber. it doesn't lock the cowl in place. The stud hanging down from the cowl slips into that rubber grommet.

The metal bar in the front of the cowl locks into place.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:13 AM   #7
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Can anyone confirm there's a part from Lowe's, or other similar hardware stores, that this can be replaced with? The part is only like $2.50 on Babbits, but the shipping is over $15. Is there a different site I should try?
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM   #8
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Andy, you might try your dealer... when I needed the spring that connects the rear brake light switch, I called my dealer and they charged the same price as the online places and dropped it in the mail for the cost of a stamp - not the usual operating procedure, but since they want me to come back, they were happy to do it
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Andy, I also require the rubber gromet as I lost mine, (I may glue it in place this time if it doesn't interfere with the passenger seat) but at USD$92.68 to SHIP the little thing to me in NZ from babbitts is a little too much... LOL!

I am going to go to the dealer I got the seat cover from and see how much they will charge for the gromet.
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Well, been to the dealer and picked up the rubber gromet for NZD$4.90 (about USD$2.45) and I have glued it in place this time.
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #11
LuckyDog
ninjette.org member

Shoot .... I went to my local True Value store and picked up a rubber grommet for only 75 cents. It's not as wide as the one pictured but it does a great job in holding the seat cowl down. Thanks ninjablk08 for the hint on checking out Lowes .

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:04 PM   #12
KawiRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Derek

Motorcycle(s): '08 and 09 Ninja 250R

Yup guys. The grommet is easy to find at any hardware store. It definitely holds the cowl on much better. Working it to fit properly takes a second or two. I just did this along with wrapping my cowl pad with OEM material. It looks awesome. I used to notice the rear of the cowl would pop loose after riding for a minute, but not anymore!

Dammit! This is an old thread..

Last futzed with by KawiRider; March 31st, 2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Stupidity!
KawiRider is offline   Reply With Quote