ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old August 12th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Trailbraking

Here is an article I wrote a few years ago for Motorcycle Mojo Magazine. There are always a lot of questions on trailbraking. I hope this helps to answer a few

Trailbraking

Of all the riding skills and techniques out there, I’d say that trailbraking is one of the most misunderstood. People seem drawn to the idea of trailbraking yet they don’t fully understand what exactly “trailbraking” means, when it might be useful and how it is properly executed.

Trailbraking refers to the process of entering a turn while the front brakes are still applied and gradually and smoothly releasing them as you move through the turn and begin to get back on the gas.

Trailbraking is most often considered an advanced riding or racing technique because of the fact that it takes a lot of practice and finesse to successfully pull it off. Anytime you attempt to turn a motorcycle while simultaneously using the front brake you are testing the limits of front tire traction because there is extra weight on the front, which is only designed to handle a portion of the cornering load. Too much weight combined with too much lean angle can easily result in tucking the front and lowsideing

Grabbing the front brakes once the bike is already into the turn is not trailbraking, it is simply mid corner braking and is a common reason for single vehicle motorcycle crashes because it suddenly transfers excess weight onto the front tire and overloads traction availability. If you must brake while mid corner (to avoid a unexpected obstacle or slow suddenly) then you should do so smoothly and firmly while at the same time standing the bike up, or countersteering it back upright.

The technique of trailbraking is usually used by road racers or track riders to allow them to brake as late as possible for a corner in order to overtake another rider or block a racing line. The rider waits until the last minute to apply the front brakes hard, dive up the inside, pass, tip in and then gradually releases the brakes as they move through the turn. Common advice is that you need to trailbrake right to the apex but I’d prefer to say that you should trailbrake until you have set your desired entry speed (regardless of where that is in the corner). The ideal scenario is always that you are off the brakes and back on the gas as soon as possible and rolling on the throttle throughout the turn.

Trailbraking can also help the bike turn a little more quickly as the extra weight up front changes the steering geometry.

Generally speaking when riding on the street you want to have most, if not all of your braking done while the bike is straight up and down before you start to tip into the corner. This is especially true if the surface is wet, cold or slippery as you want as little weight on that front tire as possible. Once you have the bike turned you want to transfer the weight off the front and onto the rear tire through good throttle control, rolling on smoothly, evenly and consistently throughout the remainder of the turn.

However, there are some riding situations where staying on the brakes a little deeper, later and farther into the turn might be beneficial. For example, “trailbraking is useful in corners where your slowest speed is somewhere past the point where you turn in,” says California Superbike School Coach Stuart Smith. “Double Apex, decreasing radius, blind turns.”

For blind entry corners, staying on the brakes deeper lets you see more of the corner before you are fully committed to it. For decreasing radius turns, (which often surprise us) trailbraking can help you slow down your entry speed if you have misjudged the corner and the amount of entry speed you thought you could carry.

Whenever you use the skill of trailbraking you should first make sure that conditions are good and dry and that your control actions are smoothly executed. As Keith Code says in Twist of the Wrist 1, “Think of the brakes as a reverse throttle.”

When done correctly trailbraking can help you make final adjustments to your entry speed and see more of the turn, but when relied upon too heavily can alter the ability to accurately judge corner speed consistently. People that rely too much on trailbraking often “charge” the turn braking too deep, late and hard and waiting too late to get back on the gas.

The purpose of braking is to accurately set your turn entry speed and you can do this by getting all of your braking done before adding any lean angle or in some cases trailing the brakes as you enter into the turn. The main thing to remember is that as you add more lean angle you must decrease the amount of front brake being used. Trailbraking is just a subset of regular braking and is really just a specialized tool for certain corners and certain situations. Just like you don’t use a hacksaw for every household job, you don’t need to trailbrake in every corner.

Misti Hurst
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

Old August 12th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
For example, “trailbraking is useful in corners where your slowest speed is somewhere past the point where you turn in,” says California Superbike School Coach Stuart Smith. “Double Apex, decreasing radius, blind turns.”
How many corners is the slowest speed not somewhere past the point where you turn in? It seems like the majority of corners have their slowest point somewhere near the apex.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
When done correctly trailbraking can help you make final adjustments to your entry speed and see more of the turn, but when relied upon too heavily can alter the ability to accurately judge corner speed consistently. People that rely too much on trailbraking often “charge” the turn braking too deep, late and hard and waiting too late to get back on the gas.
Excellent article, Misti; thank you much !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Good info!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

is using the rear brake during a corner considered trail braking?
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Not necessarily. It can be front or rear brake. It's the concept of keeping the brakes held on after you tip into the corner, then trailing off the brake pressure while the lean angle increases and the bike is rolling through the corner. It's most commonly done with the front brake. It doesn't mean trailing only with the rear brake, and it doesn't mean adding rear brake while in a corner.

The opposite of trail braking is getting all of the braking done prior to entering the corner, and tipping in without any brake pressure still applied.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

@Misti
Wow great read. I've done this in corners instinctively at some times but breaking it down clearly and defining its purpose is very helpful to me.

Thanks !
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
thanks for posting this misti!

i wish i could hold my hand up to ask a question! i'll just ask it

so, here's chuckwalla valley raceway:

going clockwise through turn 4 (left hander) i feel like from looking at the map i should be treating it like a normal turn; start from the very outside, brake until my turn in, turn, on the gas. but when i do that i find myself running wide at the exit. not so much because i early apex it but for some reason the i can't get the bike to stay inside post apex. (my real problem!) which gets me passed and screws everything up on the entrance for turn 5 which starts in the middle of the road and runs tight because of bumps before the apex. anyway i've always had better results trail braking the entrance just a bit earlier than i should be and pushing the apex back a little bit and keeping it inside more on the exit. but after reading your post i'm wondering if i have other issues (haha obviously!) i'm wondering, what if instead of trail braking from the far outside into the entrance, if i just charge the center line and use quicker brakes before a hard later turn in? it would get me in faster, a good block for any wise guy on the outside, with the later turn in i would move my apex back a bit giving me a better exit into turn 5.... hmmmm. i donno. it seems like many of the racers trail brake that corner a bit but then i see others who look like they use no brakes at all. (@nemesis!) hmm... just engine brake maybe? i need to get back out there

sorry for my rambling. not sure if i actually have a question in there...

Old August 16th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
@Misti
Wow great read. I've done this in corners instinctively at some times but breaking it down clearly and defining its purpose is very helpful to me.

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
thanks for posting this misti!

i wish i could hold my hand up to ask a question! i'll just ask it

so, here's chuckwalla valley raceway:

going clockwise through turn 4 (left hander) i feel like from looking at the map i should be treating it like a normal turn; start from the very outside, brake until my turn in, turn, on the gas. but when i do that i find myself running wide at the exit. not so much because i early apex it but for some reason the i can't get the bike to stay inside post apex. (my real problem!) which gets me passed and screws everything up on the entrance for turn 5 which starts in the middle of the road and runs tight because of bumps before the apex. anyway i've always had better results trail braking the entrance just a bit earlier than i should be and pushing the apex back a little bit and keeping it inside more on the exit. but after reading your post i'm wondering if i have other issues (haha obviously!) i'm wondering, what if instead of trail braking from the far outside into the entrance, if i just charge the center line and use quicker brakes before a hard later turn in? it would get me in faster, a good block for any wise guy on the outside, with the later turn in i would move my apex back a bit giving me a better exit into turn 5.... hmmmm. i donno. it seems like many of the racers trail brake that corner a bit but then i see others who look like they use no brakes at all. (@nemesis!) hmm... just engine brake maybe? i need to get back out there

sorry for my rambling. not sure if i actually have a question in there...
Hahahaha, ok, I'll do my best here. First of all forget about trail braking or not trailbraking here, just focus on where you turn the bike and how you roll on the gas through this turn for now. You want to improve your line so you aren't running wide and it sounds like it is an issue with WHERE you are turning the bike. To me this corner looks a little different than just a regular corner (i've never ridden there (gasp) so I don't know for sure) but...I'd say that a line to try might be one that enters a little bit more in the middle of the track, has you apexing late and aiming a bit for the '156' there on the exit. A good line is one that allows you to get on the gas as soon as possible and roll it on throughout the remainder of the turn (and not run wide

How might a later apex help in this corner?

I'd work on figuring out where to turn and how to get a good line before you start throwing trail braking, faster entry speeds all that into the mix. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you....

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:11 AM   #10
htdub
ninjette.org member

Name: Hien

Motorcycle(s): triumph

Thanks Misti, I need to try this at the next track day.

When are you out riding in Vancouver/NW ?
htdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by htdub View Post
Thanks Misti, I need to try this at the next track day.

When are you out riding in Vancouver/NW ?
I don't have a street bike anymore so I only ride in the dirt. We try to hit Popkum or Pemberton on Saturdays with the family as my little 4 year old is also riding a 50cc dirtbike

Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:35 PM   #12
htdub
ninjette.org member

Name: Hien

Motorcycle(s): triumph

Quote:
I don't have a street bike anymore so I only ride in the dirt. We try to hit Popkum or Pemberton on Saturdays with the family as my little 4 year old is also riding a 50cc dirtbike
Nice! I'm looking for a pw50 for my kid.

I meant at the track, no mission, GMR, ridge?
htdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by htdub View Post
Nice! I'm looking for a pw50 for my kid.

I meant at the track, no mission, GMR, ridge?
The PW's are great! My son loves his and is getting pretty good

I get to the track occasionally. I was at the Ridge for three days in July with the California Superbike School. I'd like to get back down there soon but with two little kids, ahhhhhhh, there is no time. I don't usually ride at Mission anymore and I hit GMR occasionally to do private coaching and I'm sure I'll be there soon to help teach my kid to drive his new go-Kart! I definitely don't get to ride as often as I'd like.