ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 10th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1
ElJokerr
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Camshaft chain removal

So my '06 Ninja 250 has 30K miles and is making a rattling noise, more noticeable at idle than at acceleration or driving. I took it to two different shops, and both confirmed that the chain needs to be replaced... I plan to do it myself, though it's my first time (I do have a very good knowledge of how things work, taking them apart, and putting things back together). However, I would like to know if I need any special tools other than the regular handy ones you would find in any mechanics garage, and also what parts I need to remove... Obviously the camshafts must come off prior to removing the chain, am I correct? Suggestions and advice on this from people with first hand experience on this job is appreciated. Thank you.
ElJokerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
First, you should measure the elongation of the chain by yourself.

At 30K miles, it should be OK still.

Please, read this old thread:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...443#post592443
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #3
ElJokerr
ninjette.org member

Yup, every 10-link lengths I've been measuring are over 2.5in, which equals to 5in for 20-links, and service limit is 128.9mm (5in=128mm). So it's confirmed, the camshaft chain needs to be replaced...

Old September 13th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJokerr View Post
Yup, every 10-link lengths I've been measuring are over 2.5in, which equals to 5in for 20-links, and service limit is 128.9mm (5in=128mm). So it's confirmed, the camshaft chain needs to be replaced...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...&postcount=735

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104334

Old September 19th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #5
ElJokerr
ninjette.org member

I just want to know, am I going to have to split the crankcase for sure? Cause there seems to be no way for the chain to come out, due to that little safety guide that is right below the crankshaft gear.

Old September 19th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I saw a method posted a while back where a dude on youtube changed his dirtbike cam chain without cracking the case.

he cut the chain, tacked the new on onto the end of the old one, pulled the old on through while rotating the engine by hand, then just cut the old chain off the new one once the new one was threaded through there. Then check the timing and voila!

I'd probably crack the case instead though...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #7
ElJokerr
ninjette.org member

Yeah I haven't seen the video but I know which you refer to.. I know some basics about welding, done a little bit of work, but I don't feel comfortably doing that to the bike. This will be my first time splitting it, is there anything special I need to know? Like gaskets, parts or springs that might come out? I already took off the whole top end minus rocker arms and valves, and removed the clutch.

Old September 24th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #8
ElJokerr
ninjette.org member

Progress Update

Fortunately, I didn't have to split the crankcase. I was able to get a grinder with a small plate that fitted in the small space and grinded down that little guide that goes around the gear on the crankshaft. Now all that's left is getting that darn timing right haha.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #9
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Is that little guide that you grinded down inside the engine?
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #10
ElJokerr
ninjette.org member

Yes that's correct, I grinded the guide down inside the engine to give me clearance to take the chain off and put it back together.

P.S. I have installed everything back, it won't turn on... It cranks, but it seems as if the piston is hitting the valve... When setting the chain for the timing, was the cylinder #2 the one that was supposed to be TDC?? Or was it #1? My service manual says #2... And that the EX mark on the exhaust sprocket is supposed to be lined up with the gasket, while the IN mark on the inlet sprocket is supposed to be lined up with the gasket as well. Also, when counting the pins in between the marks with chain tensioner installed, it's supposed to be 33. I'm wondering if my service manual might have possible made a typo?? Please clear up any confusion about this if possible. Thanks.

Old September 25th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
................Also, when counting the pins in between the marks with chain tensioner installed, it's supposed to be 33. I'm wondering if my service manual might have possible made a typo?? Please clear up any confusion about this if possible. Thanks.
See this:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...01&postcount=4

Cilinder #1 is the left one when sitting in the sadle.

When mark 2T shows up through the visor, the lubes of the cams should not be pressing on any of the valves of cylinder 2.

Note that there are two top positions of the piston (two turns of the crankshaft) for each turn of the cam shaft.

Old September 28th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #12
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Can you post pics or video?

Just to cover the basics you did turn fuel on and connect all your vacuum lines correct? If you installed your throttle cable too tight the bike won't start. Have you tried bump starting it I've found that to override some minor starting issues so that at least you know your timing is right...

Old October 14th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #13
ElJokerr
ninjette.org member

Update

Finally got the bike running. Sounds beautiful, no more rattling, runs great

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 14th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:

Old October 14th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
thats an interesting idea cutting off the bottom chain guide. just make sure it never gets loose enough to skip a tooth down there.

Old October 14th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #16
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Yes, the satisfaction of knowing it's running good

Old October 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #17
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I just found this thread. Interesting. I have never heard of grinding the lower chain guard down, but as long as there is still enough of it left to keep the chain from hopping a tooth, then it should work OK.

Most of the time when people with a pregen complain about a ticking or rattling sound at idle that goes away under load, its nearly always the clutch basket.

A timing chain does not feel torque with the engine and only feels speed. So the faster the engine, the more it flaps. Load makes no difference.

The pregen clutch basket has a design flaw that makes it rattle at idle. By applying a light load with the front brake, you can make this type of rattle go away.

Every pregen I have ever seen in person has had a clutch basket rattle. Unfortunately, there is no real solution. In theory, it might be possible to use a newgen clutch basket, but I've never confirmed that.