ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 1st, 2013, 08:29 AM   #1
moonwalker
n00b4life

Name: Alexey

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki EX250J8F Ninja 250R

No garage, protection against dew

Subj. I don't have a garage, though I do have an option of renting one for ~$100 or so per month. I have a car port where I currently keep my Baby Ninja. Because I was sick for a while I didn't ride for almost two weeks, and when I was doing pre-start check this morning I noticed rust on brake disks (no biggie, I figure) and on chain (concerns me more). It was also completely covered in dew, and that is what worries me most. I'm not sure if buying cover will take care of dew or make it even worse as it will take longer for dew to evaporate once the sun is up. Anyone has experience and advice on keeping bike outdoors in high humidity climate?

Old October 1st, 2013, 08:53 AM   #2
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

I am also concerned about this. I parked my bike outdoors, but I had a cover for it. For about two years, I parked my Ninja 250 outside, through sun, rain, and snow. Until the day I sold it, I did not see any adverse effects, though I did ride year round. Just make sure to keep your chain lubed properly and it shouldn't rust.

As for the cover keeping water in, you might be right about that, so I generally wait until the bike cools down after a ride before I put the cover on, and when it stops raining, I uncover the bike to let the water evaporate out.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:53 AM   #3
GREY NINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: ninja

Motorcycle(s): 2002 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
I am also concerned about this. I parked my bike outdoors, but I had a cover for it. For about two years, I parked my Ninja 250 outside, through sun, rain, and snow. Until the day I sold it, I did not see any adverse effects, though I did ride year round. Just make sure to keep your chain lubed properly and it shouldn't rust.

As for the cover keeping water in, you might be right about that, so I generally wait until the bike cools down after a ride before I put the cover on, and when it stops raining, I uncover the bike to let the water evaporate out.
GREY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:03 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Good covers are vented and may help keep the dew at bay to a degree. NEVER just throw a tarp over the bike. Air circulation is essential.

However, if you live in a really humid environment your bike is going to get wet. Just the name of the game. So, protect it… there are many products for that purpose.

If your chain is rusting then by definition the metal is exposed to the air. Lube it. Use something that leaves a protective film behind.

Rust on brake discs is entirely normal. The moment you hit the brakes it scrubs off. Don't worry about it.

For other parts… take a look at the products sold to gun owners.

I like EEZOX a lot. Available as a liquid or a spray, nice consistency and it doesn't leave a lot of gunk behind. I like to spritz or drip a little on anything that might start rusting… fasteners that get dinged during removal, metal bits where the paint or plating has worn around the edges, etc.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:06 AM   #5
moonwalker
n00b4life

Name: Alexey

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki EX250J8F Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Good covers are vented and may help keep the dew at bay to a degree.
Any suggestion on maker/model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
For other parts… take a look at the products sold to gun owners.

I like EEZOX a lot. Available as a liquid or a spray, nice consistency and it doesn't leave a lot of gunk behind. I like to spritz or drip a little on anything that might start rusting… fasteners that get dinged during removal, metal bits where the paint or plating has worn around the edges, etc.
For my guns I usually just use CLP, but it's supposed to be highly penetrating and my guess would be that's a no-no just like with WD-40? I've read articles describing bearings and seals deterioration caused by WD-40. I never seen or heard about EEZOX before, does it work the same way as CLP?

Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
.........For about two years, I parked my Ninja 250 outside, through sun, rain, and snow. Until the day I sold it, I did not see any adverse effects, though I did ride year round. Just make sure to keep your chain lubed properly and it shouldn't rust......
Same here and in Florida weather (lots of Sun, humidity and rain all year): lubing the chain after each tank fill up and running every day is all these bikes need externally.

If you use wax based chain lube, switch to oil based lube.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote