ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Neipas09
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Need help installing front turn signals

Don't know if this has been hit up already, but i'm new to this forum so any help is greatly appreciated.
Anyways, just purchased and tried installing the BiteLitez flush mount turn signals for the 2008 ninja 250.
They can be found here for reference.
http://www.bikelitez.com/product_p/k0809250rts.htm

Anyways, got the signals and tried installing them but the LEDs come with 3 wires (red, yellow, black) vs the bike's 2 wires (green, black).
So if anyone has already been through this pain and got it hooked up and was able to get it to blink then please let me know.
Neipas09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #2
kkim

did they come with any type of installation instructions?

I know with LEDs you'll need to add some sort of resistor to the circuit to increase the load to the flasher relay so it will flash.

right now it thinks your front signal lights are burnt out and they stay solid and don't flash... is that correct?

lol.. from their website...
Description

THESE TURN SIGNALS ARE VERY EASY TO INSTALL AND INCLUDE ALL HARDWARE! VERY EASY TO DO, AND MAKES THE BIKE LOOK SUPER CLEAN!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Neipas09
ninjette.org newbie

Ya they sent some half-ass instructions that i'll scan off tomorrow just so you can have a good laugh. And they did send some kind of resistors, or something in a big white box.
Anyways, i'll upload pics tomorrow to try to get this figured out.

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #4
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neipas09 View Post
Ya they sent some half-ass instructions that i'll scan off tomorrow just so you can have a good laugh. And they did send some kind of resistors, or something in a big white box.
Anyways, i'll upload pics tomorrow to try to get this figured out.
lol... there you go! yes, please scan the instructions so we can see what the "easy installation" consists of.

Old April 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

IIRC, one of them should be for running/hazard lights which we don't have. Just attach the blacks, then trial and error will tell you which one should be connected to the green wire. Our bikes only have 2 connectors, so if you end up buying a flasher relay get a 2 prong one as well. Though, if they included resistors you might as well use them.

p.s. black might not go to black (though usually it will) so it might be more trial and error For some reason the shock racing LEDs green wire wasn't meant for our green wire...
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Neipas09
ninjette.org newbie

ok so...i called them and actually talked to someone and here's what he told me.
black goes to black and yellow goes to green. red isn't used at all and you can just cut it.

so i cut the red wire on the right side of the bike, hooked the wires together, and added the resistor box thing that they sent with the package.
after everything was hooked up i turned the key to on and the light came on, hit the blinker to turn right (since it was the right side i hooked up) and it started blinking. seemed a little slow to me, but maybe it's normal since its not my bike, it's the gf's.
So being happy that it actually worked i hooked up the other side exactly like i just did. Go to test it out and no blinking
So i shut the blinker off and switch it over to the right side...no blinking at all.

So now i'm stumped, i don't know if i blew a relay or something for the blinkers. I checked the 10A fuse that's next to the battery for the blinkers and that's fine. But i couldn't find a relay anywhere for the blinkers. Is there one???

Old April 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #7
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

The flasher relay is on the left hand side behind the rear fairing (beside the luggage compartment). IIRC kkim's got a post somewhere showing it - that's how I got to it and replaced it.

If the side that was working before isn't now and you say the fuse isn't blown recheck your wiring - maybe it came loose. Cause I would think the fuse would go before the relay. Also don't know anything about resistors but maybe that went bad?

EDIT: ah found the link:
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread...=flasher+relay
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Neipas09
ninjette.org newbie

Ya i thought maybe the wiring went to **** too, but the light still lights up. So i know its not that. And the resistor may have went bad, but of course it's in a white box so there's no real way to tell.

Old April 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #9
Neipas09
ninjette.org newbie

Ok new development.
So i had the right side all hooked up, front and back blinkers with new LEDs. I also had the resistor hooked up (20W 10A). Tested it and it worked with the blinky blink action. Hooked up the other side and then everything went to shat.
So now the new development. Right side is still hooked up, left side only has the rear blinker hooked up. The front is just hangin wires not connected.
So when i turn the key on no turn signals are on, which i'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to be. But when i turn on the blinker to the right all 3 blinkers light up (LR, RF, RR). When i turn the turn signal to the left same thing happens, all 3 light up but no blinking.
So this has me hella confused. I thought the left wouldn't come on at all since the front isn't hooked up.

Old April 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

Name: Reeeeee

Motorcycle(s): '06 R6/'08 250R

Theres your problem.........now that you mention that you have LEDs on all four corners you need diodes. See the proton flushmount thread for an answer.

http://www.ninjette.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15282
Sloppy2nds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #11
Neipas09
ninjette.org newbie

OMG this bike is a turd!
I installed rear and front turn signals on my 600rr without having to do any of this and it works perfectly. Someone at kawasaki needs to be fired!

so i finally found the pics of the diodes after scanning through tons of posts. but i'm still a little confused.
from the pics it looks like i solder 2 diodes together, and that single point then connects to the (+) side of the LED. Then the 2 separate sides of the diodes then connect to the (+) and (-) of the connector coming from the bike?

If this is true then where do i connect the (-) coming from the LED?

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Neipas09
ninjette.org newbie

Do i need to do this to all 4 LED's or just for each side?

Old April 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #13
Neipas09
ninjette.org newbie

what do you need pics for?
the pics have already been linked. stop being lazy!

Since your too lazy to look for yourself i decided to post the pics so i can get this POS bike fixed ASAP!

Old April 20th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neipas09 View Post
what do you need pics for?
the pics have already been linked. stop being lazy!

Since your too lazy to look for yourself i decided to post the pics so i can get this POS bike fixed ASAP!
not with that attitude you won't.... not around here.

Old April 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #15
Neipas09
ninjette.org newbie

ya i dont have an attitude. i was just making an obvious observation.

Old April 20th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #16
kkim

ok... gl.