ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old July 18th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
California Superbike School @ The Ridge

So last Tuesday I went for my second trip to the California Superbike School with Momaru. This year we went to the Ridge up in Washington, since I recently moved up north.

The track is a lot of fun. It has a number of different turns, including a few scarier ones (a set near the back is a series of fairly tight switchbacks on a steep incline -- scary at first, but my favorite towards the end of the day). I really enjoyed it and would love to go back again; unfortunately CSBS is only there once a year and I'm not sure I'm really up to a regular track day yet.

The lessons were 'level 2' which discussed a lot on vision and how to pick out points for making your lines. I liked the exercise in theory, but in practice it's very hard to remember and pick out things in the road like tar patches or seams that are close enough to the parts of a corner you want to remember. I made due though, and was using the points they put down for the level 1 students as references, though this time instead of following them I was using them to define my own lines.

Since I haven't been on the track in a year, the first half of the day was mostly just remembering the old lessons; so I was pretty timid and getting blown by pretty hard because of it. Towards the end of the day I was catching people in the corners and felt much better about how I was riding.

As with last year, there is a single 'off track' lesson -- this time on the lean bike (a bike with hard runners to prevent lowsides) to work on body positioning and leaning the bike over at lower speeds. It was a great exercise, I wish I could have some more time on it, but the nature of the lesson made it hard (I wanted to practice the skill again during my next on-track session, but then I was trying to do 2 things at once -- my positioning as well as the actual track lesson). Once I said forget it and just did the track lesson it went much better, I'll just have to do the body work on my own.

I did ask Misti to be my instructor/coach, but she had a bit of an injury shortly before and was mostly working with the Level 4 students after their sessions. Still, I got to say "hi" and thank her for all her help here on Ninjette.

I'm still trying to piece together what pieces of video I did manage to capture, but in the meantime here's a shot from the track photographer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSBS.jpg (36.3 KB, 11 views)
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Old July 18th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Jim L
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Street:72Bonnie, 68BSA, 94KTMEXC400LC4; Track: CBR600, R6, NS125GP, 61Cotton TelStar; Dirt:MX -3, Trials - 5

Just ride the track for you...

It's very pleasing you are trying to learn more about motorcycling. Most riders just go down the road, usually very fast, but can't stop or turn.
Yes, go to every track day you can. They are for you, not all the other riders. Respect others and use a 5 foot rule. Never closer that 5ft to another bike. And never dive underneath another bike in a turn.
If you are slower, always use the inside of the track. Leave plenty of room to the outside. You also will be protecting you inside line; and will be able to build your confidence.
Tape your speedometer over so it can't be read. It is very unnerving to be finishing a long straight into a hairpin, look down and see you are doing 142. You should be setting up every turn by gear and rpm. As your confidence increases, you will see higher rpm at the end of each turn.
There's lots more to say, but you are ready, really ready. Don't let the squids intimidate you. It's your money, your bike and your track.
Now, go get 'em...
Cheers,
Jim L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #3
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Video, video, video! Glad you did another track school day. Sounds like you had a lot of fun, even if part of it was spent reacquainting/reapplying what you learned last time.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #4
jmk420
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): Diavel Carbon / Ninja 250R / 696

I wanted to go! But booked way too late
jmk420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
very nice! what kind of tires are you running? those look like slicks

I'm looking forward to taking the yamaha champions riding school at NJMP next summer (just started saving for it lol) which should be a similar level of quality instruction to the css which I also intend to take someday

looking forward to the video too!

Old July 19th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Tires are Pirelli Diablo 2s, you can see them standing still over here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137026

I'll work on the video as soon as I have some time
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2014, 07:30 AM   #7
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Sweet. I'm going racing at the Ridge this weekend! So excited. I've only raced at Pacific out in Kent last year, so even though I've done a track day at the Ridge, this will be my first official race weekend there.

The track is a blast.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote