ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 22nd, 2016, 04:21 PM   #1
htjackyi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja ex250 green; 2009 suzuki gs500f

2008 ex250 engine replacing

Hi,

my 250's engine seized. It's running but with a LOT of clicking and clanking.

So I bought a new engine from ebay and I'm trying to replace it myself. I searched the forum for engine swap but I'm unable to find a step by step guide for a newb like me. (i know where the engine is and that's about it lol)

I was wondering if anyone can guide me in a right direction. Maybe there's a video or step by step guide with photos that's hiding somewhere.

Also 250r components and parts diagram would help me a lot about understanding the motorcycle.

Thank you in advance to you all, and safe riding!
htjackyi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2016, 04:41 PM   #2
htjackyi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja ex250 green; 2009 suzuki gs500f

Just found

just found a 250R manual online in pdf form. It sorta helps.

this is going to be hella slow process for me. but I get to know 1 thing at a time about the bike which is nice.

Let me know if you know of any other resource that might help in my efforts.

Safe riding.
htjackyi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #3
NinJim
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250-3x; CBR600 & R6 (track bikes); lots of dirt stuff

Instructions for first engine swap

I will apologize first for making this post very elementary, but it sounds like you haven't grown up in a mechanical culture. I have been lucky in my mech training. With military a/c training, I was taught to account for each and every nut, bolt and bit. So here goes...

You'll need, as minimum, lots of zip-lock baggies, markers, tags with wire ties, note book and a digital camera. A video and/or audio recorder will be a help.

Most important - make a place where all the bits that come off can be store IN ORDER OF DIS-ASSEMBLY. As each part comes off, it is stored with ALL of its fasteners, numbered and entered into a note book. Take lots of pictures which are numbered and assigned to each bag. All electrical connectors will be tagged and numbered (used what ever code is logical to you).

Place the bag/bits/parts in their order along a table or wall.

After the engine is removed: start the new engine assembly from the back of your note book and replace everything in reverse order. Torque rules: steel bolts into aluminum 20 lbs max; steel into steel 40 lbs max. You should be able to find other specified torques on line. If you are reusing the same plain nuts make sure to use a low torque nut locking fluid to hold the torque.

The bottom line - The more organized you are, the quicker and better the job will go. I worked in a high-pro engine shop for a while. Every engine build up started in a super clean area with a large sheet of paper on the wall. Every note (torques, dimensions, clearances, etc) we made was logged on the paper and it went with the engine when finished.

I restore bikes that have no existing manuals ('40s and '50s, mostly Brit) and this is the method I use.

If you know all of this, please accept my apology. But it might help someone else. Cheers,
NinJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #4
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

i don't think you will find photos of engine swap with instructions.
tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote