ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old November 29th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #1
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250

Making a Streetfighter

I have a 2005 250 that i am looking to make into a streetfighter. I've got all of the plastics off that i don't want on there and that includes the whole front fairing and half of the back one. Does anyone who has done this have any recommendations on aftermarket turn signals that dont require new wiring? Looking for front and rears and relatively cheap. Also looking for an easy to install new headlight assembly to make it look like a newer bike as well! Bring on the creative ideas!
acook3323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
My favorite streetfighter conversion is by a feller named Chicagobob:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117957

I based some modifications on my bike around his, and I've even seen what is essentially a clone of his bike in my town. It looks real nice.

Also, if you buy any kind of blinkers and trim the connector off, tin the wire with some solder, and cram it into the assy, it'll work good enough. It takes a little fine-tuning, and is less than elegant, though.

Good luck!
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Funny MrAtom, I bought my 250 largely because I saw Bob's thread, and based my modifications on his, with some changes. I even posted a thank-you in his build thread, for his inspiration. I prefer not to have the seat floating on frame tubes, and I wanted to go with red, so I played around with one of his photos.

Here's the bike when it was almost finished. I later added small turn signals that mount to the tabs on the rear frame rails. I really liked Bob's wheel stripes, and wheels have gotten compliments, but last time I looked, Bob had removed his stripes.

Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2016, 07:30 AM   #4
Cra1g
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2007 Yamaha FZ6

Pretty much any turn signals that have a power and ground wire will work. However, LED signals require a relay, so go with regular bulbs if you're not comfortable adding in relays.

As for the headlight, you'll want it to be an H4 headlight. Just search for that and you'll find what you're looking for.

Here's my streetfighter, btw: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278299

Good luck!
Cra1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #5
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Triplejim. The very next thing I was going to say is that I wanted my bike to look exactly like yours but painted different! How did you do the rear end and taillights?

Old November 30th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cra1g View Post
However, LED signals require a relay, so go with regular bulbs if you're not comfortable adding in relays.
I don't know why you said that. You just need an electronic flasher that will handle LEDs, and most or all should. I did not add a relay to change to LED signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cra1g
As for the headlight, you'll want it to be an H4 headlight. Just search for that and you'll find what you're looking for.
H4 headlights are a good choice, but not the only choice. I went with a 7" round bucket from Emgo, made to take standard automotive headlights. An automotive quartz-halogen headlamp works well.

Adam, I trimmed the side plastic to taper down to near zero at the tail light, and made a bracket and remounted the stock tail light close to the grab handle, which I wanted to retain.

I understand why guys want a smaller tail light, but I want people behind me to see me clearly, especially when I put on the brakes. I wired the unused side sections of the stock light and added red LEDs, so when I put on the brakes, the whole thing lights up.

I like to call it a "standard" model, as opposed to a street fighter. You can see the "EX250S" on the side panel.

Old November 30th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #7
Cra1g
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2007 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I don't know why you said that. You just need an electronic flasher that will handle LEDs, and most or all should. I did not add a relay to change to LED signals.
Oh interesting. Everything I've read in the past says you need a relay for LED signals. Maybe I read it all wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cra1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2016, 08:54 AM   #8
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Quote:
Oh interesting. Everything I've read in the past says you need a relay for LED signals. Maybe I read it all wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They run, just there is a resistor for the led ones to slow the flashing down (since there is less resistance). If you don't mind it flashing a little faster you can hook them right up.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #9
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

Here's Mine. I went full custom, and chopped the frame. Lets see... The Tail section is from a 74-77 Honda Super Sport, I cut it to fit the ninjette. Tail lamp is custom cafe 2in piece, and extremely bright. I relocated all the electronics to the empty space under the tank for a clean look. The Speedo Cluster is a bobber piece from dime city cycles. The battery tray is mounted to the stock bracket on the strut tower.

The Headlamp is a 7in Cafe Race piece, from Cafe co, takes the standard cheap bulbs. The turn signals are cheap china bullets, but are still pretty nice aside from the paint. They have to be wired in of course (only 2 wires). The rear view is a cheap bar end mirror. NC only requires the left side to have one. The LP bracket had to be fabbed by me to fit under the stock tail lamp, which also serves as a tag light for the LP. Thats the stock seat cut to fit, (needs pro reupholstered).

Obviously all the unneeded bracketry was ground off, including on the gas tank, and everything was repainted professionally by me. Total cost was around $350 to build. I had a great time building it, and its a fun little bike to ride. Gets more thumbs up and good looks now than it did before stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lucile_01.jpg (228.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Lucile_02.jpg (197.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Lucile_03.jpg (170.6 KB, 21 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 30th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Could you be thinking of the two diodes for the dash turn signal indicator? You do need to add those if you want to retain the indicator light.

Old December 1st, 2016, 12:04 AM   #11
acook3323
ninjette.org member

Littlejim where did you find the mounting brackets to put the front turn signals on the forks?

Old December 1st, 2016, 06:56 AM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Me? I made a fairly simple aluminum bracket that bolts to the lower triple clamp. The horn mount goes on top of the bracket and the bolts go through both.