ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #1
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250R

Shinko 006 Motorcycle Tire

While looking for new tires for cheap I ran across these. Anyone heard of them before? The make them in a 140/60-17 for the rear and a 110/70-17 for the front and are pretty cheap at Motorcycle superstore. Can't find any real info on them for our Ninja's though, the reviews on Motorcycle superstore sound good though....some people are saying they are better than the diablo

Old September 14th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #2
MtnCruiser
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2 2004 Ninja 250 and 2008 VTX 1300

You will probably get all kinds of responses to this one. I ran Shinkos on my Bandit and really liked them. I thought that they handled much better that the Metzelers that were on the bike when I bought it. I have always heard people put them down and call them Stinko's etc. but I know several people who like them. If they had them to fit my '04 I would most likely be running them now.
MtnCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Digiadaamore
ninjette.org member

Name: wes

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

just so you know shinko is basically yokohamah.they bought yokahamah's motorcycle tire technology in the late 80's and have improved upon ever since.having said that i have never tried them myself but i thought this information might help
Digiadaamore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #4
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

yokahama - theres a brand i forgot all about.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #5
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Shinkon probably won't do you wrong but theres only one way to find out.

Old September 17th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #6
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250R

The price is decent so I might just have to give it a shot and see what happens. Just wish I had more money to invest in this project

Old February 18th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Animal78
ninjette.org member

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250(sold) 2000 Ninja 250 (sold) 2012 Ninja 250r 2020 Harley Sportster (rarely ridden)

I just mounted up a set of Shinko tires today. I went out put 20 miles on them. One of the beads hasn't seated correctly so I am going to have to investigate that. It is causing the tire to run out of round. It's not real bad but still worth taking a look at.

Otherwise they feel fine. Have good grip even though they are not fully broken end. I did can't the back to slide out alittle but it was controllable. I will update as I put more miles on them and if I am able to resolve the incorrectly seated bead.
Animal78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal78 View Post
I just mounted up a set of Shinko tires today. I went out put 20 miles on them. One of the beads hasn't seated correctly so I am going to have to investigate that. It is causing the tire to run out of round. It's not real bad but still worth taking a look at.

Otherwise they feel fine. Have good grip even though they are not fully broken end. I did can't the back to slide out alittle but it was controllable. I will update as I put more miles on them and if I am able to resolve the incorrectly seated bead.
with the bike up on a rear stand, deflate tire completely, run some water around the bead that won't set, then fill the tire with air until the bead sets. usually happens before 50psi. try not to go over that number.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #9
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Not on the Ninja, but I ran Shinko's on my WR250X Supermoto and loved em.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #10
Animal78
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250(sold) 2000 Ninja 250 (sold) 2012 Ninja 250r 2020 Harley Sportster (rarely ridden)

I just went out and complete unseated the bead then used soapy water all around the bead and fill the tire with the valve core removed. Same results. I am guessing the tire is defective. I didn't have any trouble getting it on the rim. It went with ease. I have done this probably 100 times in my life and never have I seen this.

Now the real kicker will Motorcycle Superstore warranty the tire? I can't ride on this. It makes the bike kinda bounce at speeds lower than forty. I don't notice it on bumpy roads though.

Old February 18th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #11
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

What method are you using to air up the tire?
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #12
Animal78
ninjette.org member

Well I am using a bicycle pump....... No not really haha. I have a 60 gallon air compressor. I used to work at a motorcycle shop so this isn't my first time doing this. I took the tire completely off the rim last night.

The tire is defective. So I am going to try and get it warrantied thru Motorcycle Superstore. They claim I have to return the tire first though and then wait up to 8 weeks to get a replacement. I am going to a local shop this morning to see if they have a another tire in stock and then I will send that one back. Maybe they will send a replacement maybe not. It kinda sux though. It looks as if the tire was stored improperly creating a flat spot on one side or there are belts broken in the tire. I don't have a x ray machine so I don't know for sure. LOL

I still want the Shinko tire though cause I doubt it was something they did during the manufacture of the tire. So I am in no way calling them crap. I just got a bad apple.

Old February 19th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #13
blade
ninjette.org member

Name: matt

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

i had a set on my old bike loved them ,no problems at all thinking about getting another set soon for my ninjette

Old February 20th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #14
Animal78
ninjette.org member

Well I had someone else get a look at the tire for a second opinion on them. Took it by a local shop he rode the bike around the block and then put the bike up on a stand and ran it. He said not to worry about it. Just check it every so often to make sure it hasn't gotten worse.

Old February 21st, 2011, 05:51 AM   #15
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Have run them on my other bikes thru the years. I really like Shinko. Cheap, long lasting, good riding tire.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:33 PM   #16
Animal78
ninjette.org member

Yeah it's strange that when I searched I only got like three or four threads on these tires. So far I have about 70 miles on them. Going good!

Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:44 PM   #17
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Maybe post up some pics?
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:49 PM   #18
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

I have a set of Shinko Verge 011's sitting in the garage... waiting to install on my 650.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM   #19
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
excellent! Thanks for posting. I think I just found my next tire.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #20
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

I'll be ordering the Shinko 006 tires shortly. I don't like that they don't make 140/70. But I will let you know how they perform.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #21
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

The Shinko 006s feel great. So far so good. I'm curious to see how long they last. But general riding and some light twisty action has been just fine so far.

Old May 7th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #22
opc
ninjette.org member

Name: Owen

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else had any experience with these? Any other comments or thoughts on how they handle or how they're wearing?

Did anyone notice a significant weight difference between these and the IRC bias ply tires that came stock on the 09? From what I've been able to dig up, the Shinko tires should be almost a full pound less on the front and rear, which is a lot in terms of rotating mass.

I've got a front and rear pair sitting in my motorcycle superstore shopping cart, and I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. Any other comments would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Owen
opc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #23
kkim

I wouldn't select a tire based on how light they are. I'd pick them based on their reputation on how they stick to the road.

based on that, these aren't it.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #24
opc
ninjette.org member

Weight isn't my primary criteria, but it would be a nice bonus. That's why I asked the folks here how they handle and wear .

As far as reputation goes, the internet can be a questionable place to make decisions based on reputation. There are plenty of people out there who will openly chastise a product without knowing the first thing about it (or ever having used it). For some reason, tire discussion seems to bring out the worst in people when it comes to brand loyalty.

What I would like to hear is first hand how the Shinko 006 (Podium) tires compare to the stock IRC's I've got on there now. If they handle better, last longer and weigh less, then that's a win in my book.

Here's my weighted criteria:

Handling (grip) - 40
Durability - 40
Cost - 10
Weight - 10

Based on that, if you've got a suggestion I would be happy to hear it!

Cheers,
Owen

Old May 8th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #25
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

I've had them on for about 3 weeks and have done about 350 miles. They are just as good as the GT501 in terms of feel and stickiness. Going through the twisties, they have been fine, though I haven't been very aggressive with these tires.

Can't say anything about the wear just yet. I wouldn't feel comfortable commenting on that until after a couple thousand miles.

I got these tires as an experiment. Are they as bad as many people say? The short answer is no. They are fine. Long answer... If you want to go to the track, get another tire. If you are hitting the twisties/canyons, they will perform fine as long as you don't do anything too extreme. For commuting, you can't beat the price; though for another $60, you can get the GT501s that will last almost 50%+ longer.

Old November 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #26
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quick update on the Shinko 006. 2000 miles in and they still look new. I can't tell you how pleased I am with them. I only had one time where the back slid, that that was an early morning ride after rain with leaves all over the place. The tires handle the rain with very little movement in the front or the rear. The bikes feels very stable, even at 65 mph with rain. I've hit the twisties pretty hard recently and I can't tell you how surprised I was that the back stuck so well. Even leaned over, there were no "oh crap" moments like I felt with the 501s. I am extremely pleased!

So if someone tells you that these tires are crap, they don't know what they are talking about. These are EXCELLENT tires.

Old November 5th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #27
opc
ninjette.org member

Hi gogoKawi,

Kudos on the update! I appreciate the input.

I ended up buying a pair of Bridgestone BT-016 tires mid season after chickening out on the Shinko tires. Sounds like my fears were unfounded.

The Bridgestone tires have been excellent, showing very little signs of wear after 2100 miles of riding. They also have excellent grip, but lately with the very cold weather I've found them to be a little unpredictable. On my way into work in the mornings it's often hovering around the freezing mark, or just above it, and I've had the front tire slide a few time even around slow corners which is a bit disconcerting. Cold weather aside though, they are excellent tires. Leaps and bounds ahead of the IRC tires that came on the bike.

I think when the Bridgestones are finished at the end of next season, I'll probably give the Shinko tires a try for fun, especially since you seem to have had good luck with them. If you can check in next season and let me know how long they ultimately made it, I would really appreciate it!

Cheers,
Owen

Old January 30th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #28
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

I know this is a very old thread, but I'd like to know if anyone has an opinion on these after putting them through a couple thousand miles or so?

I need some new rubber this Spring, and the prices on these are fantastic. I've heard Shinko being criticized elsewhere, so I'd like to get some feedback from those who actually have them.

Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2014, 06:55 PM   #29
JosueDG
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawi Ninja 300

Looking for new tires... Any updates on these?
JosueDG is offline   Reply With Quote