ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

What are your high altitude experiences?

For those with the carburated Ninjette, share your experiences riding in high altitude.
What altitude is your bike set-up for (altitude where you live, if not stock)?
How high did you go?
How did your bike handle?

Why I'm asking:
1) For fun.
2) To anticipate what I may experience on a high altitude trip.

My experience:
I'm finishing up rejetting my bike, and have recently scheduled a trip (Tahoe)to see some friends. I live around 300-500 ft, but my trip will take me over 7,500 ft (primarily over a mountain pass, and final resort destination).

I went on this same trip about two years ago, when my bike was totally new and stock. It did fine, with the exception of the 7,500 ft mountain pass, and again up at the resort. The mountain pass wasn't that big a deal, I just lost a lot of power, but was able to keep moving. If I tried to pass someone, I probably couldn't at that point. The biggest trouble I had was when I had to stop, on an upward grade, at the guard shack of the resort. I was difficult to get it to move, and bogged quite a bit. But, once it got moving, it was OK.

I still have the same exhaust, and airbox, but have removed the snorkel, so that would lean out the mixture a bit, BUT I suspect the way I am currently jetted is a bit richer than stock... all around. So we shall see.

I don't want to start a new tech thread, since there are lots of those, and I have an open discussion on my jetting saga in the tech section, but want to here your experiences.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #2
kkim

damn... and here I thought this was going to be a thread about the "mile high club".
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

Well I regularly go to Albuquerque New Mexico, the elevation of the city ranges from ~4,900ft in the valley to over 6,700ft in the heights, I have also ridden to Sandia Crest which is 10,678ft I never noticed any problems at all, and I have a stock motor except for shimming my needles and no kleen system, Growler exhaust and thats it. But I didn't notice anything except it ran much quieter up on top of the crest because of less air pressure, (happens with my truck on glass packs too)

Old July 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #4
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
damn... and here I thought this was going to be a thread about the "mile high club".
ROTF! I should have thought of that, it was almost a gimmie.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #5
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing.

Old July 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #6
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
LMAO!
Well, I have a "changing altitude" experience to share. We often ride the Cherohala Skyway in NC, and the altitude changes are dramatic. It's not called the "Mile High legend of NC" for nothing! Anyway, the first few times I rode it, I thought something was wrong with my Lil' Ninj b/c I'd have the throttle wide open and would be LOSING speed. WTF? Then it hit me..........oh yeah, I'm going up a mountain.....on a 250. LOL! You'll feel a noticeable loss of power the higher you go (at least I do).
Strips with tighter corners are much more fun to me on the bike than stretches of roads w/ severe elevation changes and lots of straights.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote