ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old August 9th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #1
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Ithaca's (Almost) Race Report - AFM Round 6

AFM Round 6 July 31-August 1

Ever since the last lap of Round 5 at Thunderhill I was really looking forward to this weekend. I was back at Infineon where I had better luck racing before and I was getting around at a better pace.

Saturday morning rolls around and it's not looking great. Fog has rolled over the hills and settled just above the track, making everything cold and damp. These conditions make Infineon even more slick than it already is and brought me right back to my NRS class there when I was sliding around in nearly every turn. Conditions that are not conducive to confidence or fast times.

As expected, the first session out I was sliding all over the place and was just circulating around the track, getting used to being on the bike again. I dropped my tire pressure for the next session and wasn't sliding around but I still was not quite "there" and neither were my times. The rest of the day proceeded just like that, my times got a little better but the confidence wasn't there for some reason.

Another confidence hindering point was the condition in my drive chain. There was a kink or two in it and I had hoped to get another weekend out of it. After the first session I noticed that it had developed a massive tight spot and needed to be replaced ASAP. I could buy a new chain from the vendors on site but not the chain that I wanted. I'm using a 520, non-oring chain for reduced rolling resistance and because they're cheap (only $30-$60)! The only chain that the vendor had was a top of the line DID o-ring one that cost $150. I had a friend bring me one that I finally replaced at the end of the day.

The schedule for Sunday was pretty miserable from a time standpoint. Wake up, get on the track for the practice at 8am, ride for 15 minutes. Sit around all day. First race is at 3pm. Second race is at 4pm. Making that morning practice almost a pointless in that it got me warmed up for racing then I had to go sit for seven hours. To top it off the morning session was even foggier, to the point droplets collected on my visor making it hard to see from Turn 2 to Turn 7. Oddly enough though the traction was better but still not what I wanted to push it in.

In my free time on Sunday I wandered the pits, put in a new set of brake pads and relaxed as much as I could. I was still feeling down about the times that I had from the practices. As my races got closer I was feeling a little better with the new chain and brake pads and was getting amped up to go out. I went out on the warm up lap for Race 8 (Formula Pacific) to test the new pads and they felt AWESOME! I was officially ready to kick some ass

My race, Race 9 - 250 Superbike/Formula 4, was called and it was on. I warmed up in the hot pit, getting used to the new brakes and was ready to go when they called the warm up lap. Out I went and I felt great from the minute I tipped into Turn 2. Turn 3/3a felt better and Turn 4 better still. This race was going to kick butt! :bike6_smilie:

Up to this point I'm easing in to my "race pace" since I'm on cold tires but by Turn 5 they're warm enough to start ramping it up. So I come out of Turn 4 on my normal line and, giving full throttle, tip in to the turn ready to fly through there. Right as I get to the apex I'm beyond committed to the turn and that's precisely when I see the wheel of an SV650 trying to squeeze through. Before I could react I've was broadsided and lost the front end. There I am, sliding across the pavement then dirt at 70mph, on the WARMUP lap! When I stop sliding I'm 50ft or so into the dirt and whoever hit me is long gone. Another annoyance is that the crash happened between the corner station at T4 and T6 so, as far as I know, no one saw it happen, they only saw me on the ground.

A corner worker got to me and the bike after the last bike came around and we got it to the outside wall and had to sit there for the entire race. For some reason the crash truck didn't come out at the end of the race and I was unable to get my bike back until after the last race of the day. I was really upset about this but after I got back to the pit I realized that my gear probably wouldn't pass a tech inspection anyways.

One of the worst parts of this whole ordeal was the effect that it had on my family and friends that were there watching me. As soon as I realized that I was OK and out of the race I started thinking about them. What were they thinking when I didn't show up to the grid? I was sure that with my Grandma and girlfriend, having spent the season at the track, they'd realize that I was alright when no ambulances were sent out and the race went on. My mom on the other hand was going to freak out since she hates me doing this in the first place. Since I got stuck on the inside of the track I couldn't get back before the end of the race and even then, with no crash truck coming, I had to walk back from Turn 6. As I crossed the foot bridge from Turn 6 into the pit area I saw my mom coming up the hill crying. I rushed down to her and gave her a big hug and let her know that I was fine. With the adrenaline fading and explaining what happened to my crying mother, tears came to me as well. Oh the joys of my first crash.

I tried to keep a good spirit about all of this the rest of the day, especially since I was mainly unscathed. I really wanted to know who the other rider was and have a friendly talk with them but I doubt that I would have been able to maintain that good spirit.

I was able to watch a couple races, including a great 250 production race, but it was bittersweet as I was trying to figure out where I'd be in the mix but I cheered everyone on from the stands and they all did great because of it

About 5pm I finally got my bike back and was able to go over the damages. The right handlebar and front brake lever were bent down at a 45* angle, the right rearset was severely bent out, and the muffler is half the size that it was at the start of the day. The bodywork held up fantastically well and put a lot of rumors about Hotbodies to rest. My gear suffered some decent damage with a couple large holes opening up on the right thigh and shoulder and a small hole in the Keprotec at the hip. My right boot suffered a large hole over the arch. Thankfully my helmet came out unscathed as did my gloves. The only damage to me was a bruised hip, quarter sized abrasion on my elbow from rubbing against my shirt, and a swollen right elbow.

Overall the weekend sucked It was great being at the track, even though I wasn't happy with my performance up to that point. I just wish that it ended on a better note.

Now for the pictures...

ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Someone really didn't want you to compete with them if they went to the trouble of taking you out on the warmup lap! Glad you're OK...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #3
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I got your new parts ready to go ryan

Old August 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #4
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

That sucks, man. Hope you get back out there soon!
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #5
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Protocol for a crash is to attribute it to the crasher and they have to file an appeal to show proof of someone else being involved. I started the appeal process last week, including a video of the incident and identification of the rider. It took until today to get the final word that the crash will not be attributed to me, yay! Very Happy

Apparently the other rider took a while to admit that he hit me, then he said that he didn't think I went down but he feels very badly about it...

I'm just glad it's done with. Now to put the bike back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
I got your new parts ready to go ryan
Sweet. I'll talk to you about that soon...

Old August 11th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #6
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

I want to see the video

Old August 13th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #7
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Nothing worse than getting taken out on the track. On the warmup lap really makes it hurt. Glad you're OK, your spirit is not broken & you'll be back out!

Old August 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
Nothing worse than getting taken out on the track. On the warmup lap really makes it hurt. Glad you're OK, your spirit is not broken & you'll be back out!
+1

Glad you're okay. That really sucked. I gotta admit, I got a little teary eye'd when I read this:

Quote:
I rushed down to her and gave her a big hug and let her know that I was fine. With the adrenaline fading and explaining what happened to my crying mother, tears came to me as well.
You had me at "I rushed down..."

I've never heard of this process (our race org doesn't have this):
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca00 View Post
Protocol for a crash is to attribute it to the crasher and they have to file an appeal to show proof of someone else being involved. I started the appeal process last week, including a video of the incident and identification of the rider. It took until today to get the final word that the crash will not be attributed to me, yay! Very Happy

Apparently the other rider took a while to admit that he hit me, then he said that he didn't think I went down but he feels very badly about it...
So, what happens next? The other guy is found at fault...so does that mean he has to pay for damages?
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #9
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

No..... What it means is that AFM is big on coming down on you if you crash. You'll receive a letter from the club and will be put on probation. Its a completely idiotic policy meant to get rid of habitual crashers. Great intentions, but roadracing is a crash-intensive sport. Please don't get me started

Old August 13th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #10
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Its a completely idiotic policy meant to get rid of habitual crashers. Great intentions, but roadracing is a crash-intensive sport. Please don't get me started
That's what I thought were the risks. But in the case of someone taking you out during a warm-up lap may be different.

I mean, it shouldn't happen (but I know it can, and has) but still shouldn't. In those instances the committee should talk to the rider. I don't know about probation in the first offense.

If I remember correctly, WSMC suspended a rider for crashing too many times. A letter written by Kenny Kopechsomething to Roland Sands, I believe.

So, maybe WSMC still enforces this but not in the same appeal process as AFM. IDK.

Old August 13th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #11
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Hey, Jonathan, that was like 20 years ago Rider was Roland Sands. I'm pretty sure the guy didn't do it on purpose at the AFM race. Now, if the guy really IS a habitual crasher, then yeah, he shouldn't be racing. I know of a few guys at WSMC that just really should not be in the sport. They're a danger to themselves and others. Eventually, people like that get hurt or go broke, so its somewhat self-policing.

Old August 13th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #12
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Oops...I just re-read your comment Richard and understand what you're saying. Whether you're the crasher or crashee, AFM is strict about crashing.

Wow! I agree on your comment.

Old August 13th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #13
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Thanks guys! My spirit is definitely not broken, though my bike is

AFM's policy, as Richard stated, is to deter/punish habitual crashers. On the first crash they don't say anything, on the second they send you a warning letter, and on the third they can start penalizing you with fines or suspensions. If there's a mechanical malfunction or another rider causes it then you can appeal the crash and usually get it taken off your record right there at the track.

After my first crash (ran off track in practice, got it to 10mph then dropped it in the dirt) I wasn't too worried about the policy but if this second crash had stuck on my record I'd be more likely to "pussyfoot" it around, trying to avoid that third crash. This can cause an unsafe rider in the opposite direction.

Old August 16th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #14
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

Quote:
No..... What it means is that AFM is big on coming down on you if you crash. You'll receive a letter from the club and will be put on probation. Its a completely idiotic policy meant to get rid of habitual crashers. Great intentions, but roadracing is a crash-intensive sport. Please don't get me started
Sure glad WERA doesn't have a similar policy. I crashed in my mock race at racer school and during practice of my next race weekend.
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #15
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Personally, I think crashing is all part of learning (in a controlled environment). Everyone has a different learning curve. Some take baby steps while others take a leap of faith pushing the envelope. I tend to be the latter and crash frequently. But I get up and rarely do I repeat the same mistake twice. And in that aspect, I think they shouldn't police crashing to an extent.

Old August 16th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #16
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

and here's the video...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:28 AM   #17
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

I saw some of your vids the other day and you did great. So, where did you end up last season?

How many 250 riders are there on the grid?

Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM   #18
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Thanks! I had a great time last season and have lots of room for improvement (and places where I KNOW that I can improve). I finished just outside the top 10 in both Production and Superbike. That's only racing in 5 of 7 rounds too (I missed the first round and crashed on the warmup lap of the sixth round). For most of the grids there were about 17 riders. I was consistently finishing in the top 10 though...

Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:21 PM   #19
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Good stuff bro! I forget which vid it was but you were with the top 4 or 5 racers one of of your vids for a good few laps. I honestly thought you were going to place 3 or something. Still good stuff man!

I really want to do a couple rounds with the AFM folks. I'm really lazy when it comes to reading stuff so can you briefly answer a couple questions please:

Are the experts and novice races in one wave? Or does that just depend on the class you're running in?

How many race class are available for the Ninja 250r bikes in AFM?

Is it Superstock or Superbike rules?

Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:27 PM   #20
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

I've always had good luck on the starts. It's just the rest of the race that those bastards seem to slip away from me in...

There are three or four classes that the 250 is eligible for and that some people race in. The most popular are 250 Production and Superbike. Then there's 500 Twins race that we're eligible for and a few of the fast guys ride in for more track time. Actually, I think it was a 250 that got 2nd in the class overall.

The AFM runs their Novices and Experts all together for each race. That means that a novice can be gridded before an expert. They do have Novice only races (Clubman) though that are fun and there's a season championship for that too. The only problem with that is that it's only separated into Lightweight (<650cc, excluding SS bikes), Middleweight and Heavyweight. The 250 doesn't really stand a chance against an SV650 so that class is more for practice and fun.

Most of the 250s run are setup for the production rules which prohibit engine/intake modification and some suspension modifications. I think the AFM Production rules are similar to E Superstock.

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #21
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Quote:
I've always had good luck on the starts. It's just the rest of the race that those bastards seem to slip away from me in...

There are three or four classes that the 250 is eligible for and that some people race in. The most popular are 250 Production and Superbike. Then there's 500 Twins race that we're eligible for and a few of the fast guys ride in for more track time. Actually, I think it was a 250 that got 2nd in the class overall.

The AFM runs their Novices and Experts all together for each race. That means that a novice can be gridded before an expert. They do have Novice only races (Clubman) though that are fun and there's a season championship for that too. The only problem with that is that it's only separated into Lightweight (<650cc, excluding SS bikes), Middleweight and Heavyweight. The 250 doesn't really stand a chance against an SV650 so that class is more for practice and fun.

Most of the 250s run are setup for the production rules which prohibit engine/intake modification and some suspension modifications. I think the AFM Production rules are similar to E Superstock.
You can deck the head for production Ryan.

Brian was Third in 500 twins.

Ryan you my boy but I never saw you stick with the top 4 or 5 for a few good laps Maybe the first two turns.

Old February 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #22
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Ryan you my boy but I never saw you stick with the top 4 or 5 for a few good laps Maybe the first two turns.
Shhhh.... He didn't say WHICH leaders I kept up with. There were times that I was ahead of the leaders from another wave for 3 laps

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #23
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
and here's the video...

Link to original page on YouTube.

So you never had a chat with Mr. Squeezethrough?
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #24
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

I'm pretty sure he ended up getting fined by AFM. The SV's wrecked another guy eariler in the year at BW on the warmup. A lot of the 250's have just been waiting for all the SV's to go out first before they get on the track. That class has some of the best racers in the club but also some of them aren't.

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #25
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
So you never had a chat with Mr. Squeezethrough?
Nope. I looked for him, though not terribly hard, at the next round but never found him in the pits. I did find myself swearing at him every time I saw him on the track