ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #1
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R "Passion Red"

Got my Hotbodies Growler!!!

Got my new exhaust for my baby...she's so mean sounding now. haha Don't mess with me! Went to the parking lot again today...second time going now. Worked on my turns more....seems I can turn left better than right. Anyone know what way they make you do turns more in the MSF class? I'm taking that next week. I'm so neerrrrvoussssss...... I really hope I get it....I really hope I can pick it up. I'm anxious to take it....but scared at the same time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5vjaDbhdkU
meeshee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Your bike sounds really good Left turns are easier for me too. Just rememeber to practice - alot.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Tofergstaff
Stealthy Ninjette

Name: Tofer

Motorcycle(s): 09' Kawi Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee View Post
Got my new exhaust for my baby...she's so mean sounding now. haha Don't mess with me! Went to the parking lot again today...second time going now. Worked on my turns more....seems I can turn left better than right. Anyone know what way they make you do turns more in the MSF class? I'm taking that next week. I'm so neerrrrvoussssss...... I really hope I get it....I really hope I can pick it up. I'm anxious to take it....but scared at the same time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5vjaDbhdkU
hahaha now we really have to ride together sometime... she sounds just as sexy as mine

Link to original page on YouTube.

Tofergstaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #4
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

yea....she's super sexy sounding! very loud!! crazy loud! haha. don't you take your class soon?

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Tofergstaff
Stealthy Ninjette

Monday I'm super excited, I should have my endorsement and be able to legally ride on the 26th

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #6
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

well good luck to you man! i hope i get mine! i'm so friggen nervous it's not even funny! you HAVE to let me know how it went and what was gone over on each day so that i can prepare....even if it's only a day away from when you finish yours i start mine.

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #7
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

oh...and soon I'm getting the red reflective tape for my wheels too.....i'm pumped about that!

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Tofergstaff
Stealthy Ninjette

Quote:
oh...and soon I'm getting the red reflective tape for my wheels too.....i'm pumped about that!
haha, I will give you an update every night after I get home from the classes to let you know what goes down

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #9
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

AWESOME!!!! thank you so much! you are lucky cause you have had "bike" experience.....me....nothing....zip....none.....lol. i would really appreciate it. just PM me when you can!

Old August 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #10
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
meeshee, you'll be fine. Really, I mean it! The class isn't difficult. If I could recommend something, go out on the course during lunch, if they'll let you, and just free ride, again, if they'll let you... :P

Oh yea, and the exhaust sounds awesome! It's so much fun making the bike your own, isn't it? And no worries, most folks in the US have a harder time with the right turns. They will get better with time...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #11
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I did the class with zero riding experience and I was fine. They will ease you into some of the things (sort of). In my course they had us do left and right just about equally, I was better making turns to the right. A lot of the course is teaching you how to control the bike at slower speeds and using your clutch. As spooph said you will be just fine

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #12
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I was nervous my first day at class too. I never touched a bike, never used manual transmission on a car, no experience on quads, dirt bikes, etc. They design the class for new riders, but many experienced riders take that class to get out of the DMV driving test. I literally stalled every time I came to a complete stop, my instructors (they were both complete goofballs) would come up to me and chant "stall, stall, stall" and surprisingly I wouldn't stall. It ended up being a really fun time.

They will have you do turns in both directions, don't worry you will be fine.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #13
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10286&
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM   #14
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Thanks for the confidence everyone! I have been riding in a parking lot....I have my permit actually....but I won't take it to the road till I "know" what I'm doing. I'm good at stopping....getting better at taking off faster....really my main fear is turns. I know they make you do the U-turn and like a swerve move.....I'm just scared about those. Not to mention the bikes they will have me on are totally different from my bike. lol

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM   #15
Tofergstaff
Stealthy Ninjette

Quote:
Thanks for the confidence everyone! I have been riding in a parking lot....I have my permit actually....but I won't take it to the road till I "know" what I'm doing. I'm good at stopping....getting better at taking off faster....really my main fear is turns. I know they make you do the U-turn and like a swerve move.....I'm just scared about those. Not to mention the bikes they will have me on are totally different from my bike. lol
lol yeah... thats the only thing that will suck, the difference between the ninja and the little cruisers they use... but I have been practicing a bit of my turns just riding around my neighborhood, a lot of stops signs and a lot of turns... and I work on my U-Turns when I hit one of the streets with a culdisack at the end.. I found when doing a U-Turn its easiest to come out a little wide (closer to the edge of the road) then back into the middle of the other lane. That way the turn isn't quite a sharp. And as for stop signs, having to turn right, I lead myself into them and position myself so I'm at a less then 90 degree angle, that way again its not an sharp of a turn to have to make... hope that helps

Old August 21st, 2010, 02:51 PM   #16
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Yea, I'm gonna move the cars outta my driveway and just try to turn in that. I think it will help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:52 AM   #17
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Meeshee be careful with all these pre-class exercises. You might actually be teaching yourself some bad habits. I don't really know, because I can't see really what you're doing, but just an idea.

Tofer, I know you're a new rider, but as you progress, you'll start loving 90 degree turns on the 250. It's one of the few places in town you can really enjoy the bike and still stay legal.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:14 AM   #18
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

hey michelle, I can't view youtube from work but now i'm so excited to go home and see your video. congrats on the new exhaust!

as for the MSF class, you'll do great! you already have a bike and you're already riding, thats more then what I was doing when i took the class. Like Genie...i didn't have any experiance on a bike or a manual car...after the class I had a general idea of how to operate and ride a bike. they start you off slow, you'll sit on the bike and put it in neutral and walk the bike back and forth, then they'll have you put it in first gear and ride at low speeds. They'll have you make turns left and right...so you'll get comfy with that. they'll have you go over obstacles (2x4's), they'll have you do u turns and quick stops. like spooph said, you might be currently developing bad habits, so go in with an open mind to learn and be told you're doing something wrong, IF you are doing anything wrong. you'll only be going up to 3rd gear at the most...and they'll teach you how to swerve. you'll love it...and you'll get to meet new riders too. I made some great friends in that class... i'm actually looking forward to the advanced course in a few months.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:21 AM   #19
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
Meeshee be careful with all these pre-class exercises. You might actually be teaching yourself some bad habits. I don't really know, because I can't see really what you're doing, but just an idea.
Yea, I'm not trying to develop any one style of riding or anything...just trying to teach myself the basics. Take off's, stops, turns.....I know a lot of people that practiced in parking lots before their class and they said it helped alot! I just don't want to go there like a complete idiot. See, I hate to fail at anything and the more experience I get....the better!

Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:24 AM   #20
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
hey michelle, I can't view youtube from work but now i'm so excited to go home and see your video. congrats on the new exhaust!

as for the MSF class, you'll do great! you already have a bike and you're already riding, thats more then what I was doing when i took the class. Like Genie...i didn't have any experiance on a bike or a manual car...after the class I had a general idea of how to operate and ride a bike. they start you off slow, you'll sit on the bike and put it in neutral and walk the bike back and forth, then they'll have you put it in first gear and ride at low speeds. They'll have you make turns left and right...so you'll get comfy with that. they'll have you go over obstacles (2x4's), they'll have you do u turns and quick stops. like spooph said, you might be currently developing bad habits, so go in with an open mind to learn and be told you're doing something wrong, IF you are doing anything wrong. you'll only be going up to 3rd gear at the most...and they'll teach you how to swerve. you'll love it...and you'll get to meet new riders too. I made some great friends in that class... i'm actually looking forward to the advanced course in a few months.

Yea the exhaust is awesome! It's so mean....as for the MSF class....I'm totally open minded. The only things I have learned...I've taught myself or from the books. I have my permit...but I'm waiting to actually hit the road. My main concern about the class is turning....u-turns and swerves. I'm pretty worried about that stuff. Class starts Friday!

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:02 PM   #21
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

My only advice on the U-turns is.. don't sweat it! I did terrible in the MSF test when it came down to the U-turns, and I passed anyhow. I did not drop the bike or put my foot down, but I was not within the lines I was supposed to be in. I'm sure you'll do just fine!
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:54 PM   #22
Ryosen11
ninjette.org member

Name: sho

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR Ninja 250R(sold)

For u-turns, using the friction zone while applying the rear brake(constant throttle and rear brake throughout) and controlling your speed just with your clutch makes the slow maneuvers and u-turns a LOT easier(oh, also very important...chin up and look where you want to go!). If you practice this and become comfortable, you gonna be way ahead in your class.

More importantly, being tense is no good especially during slow maneuvers. It's a class and you are there to learn. You can always comeback and re-take the riding test for free(I believe that was the case here in LA). Although I passed I didn't mind failing and come back for more because my instructors were great and I was learning and having fun. Maybe that's why I passed. So no pressure. Just relax and be smooth
Ryosen11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:56 PM   #23
Blackwidow

was your instructure Bret?

Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM   #24
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryosen11 View Post
For u-turns, using the friction zone while applying the rear brake(constant throttle and rear brake throughout) and controlling your speed just with your clutch makes the slow maneuvers and u-turns a LOT easier(oh, also very important...chin up and look where you want to go!). If you practice this and become comfortable, you gonna be way ahead in your class.

More importantly, being tense is no good especially during slow maneuvers. It's a class and you are there to learn. You can always comeback and re-take the riding test for free(I believe that was the case here in LA). Although I passed I didn't mind failing and come back for more because my instructors were great and I was learning and having fun. Maybe that's why I passed. So no pressure. Just relax and be smooth

I wish I could go back and take it for free....this is the MSF course tho and I'm already paying $225. I'm trying to relax because I know being nervous and tense is not good. I am one of those people tho...I always work myself up over nothing! Hopefully this time next week....I'll have my license and just laugh at all these "worry" posts I have posted!

Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:59 PM   #25
Blackwidow

i think what she's trying to say is that if you don't pass your test the first time around, you are able to go back the following week and retake the test for free. so don't worry too much about it.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #26
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
i think what she's trying to say is that if you don't pass your test the first time around, you are able to go back the following week and retake the test for free. so don't worry too much about it.
+1

There was a girl in my class that got downgraded to the scooter. She could have taken the test on the scooter but she took the class so she could ride her own motorcycle. She opted to not take the test, scheduled extra practice hours and was then scheduled to retake the class for free on a motorcycle.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:52 PM   #27
awesome_r6
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

I keep telling her she is going to be fine. She is going to learn how to ride properly and the RIGHT way....Meesh....you are going to be FINE
awesome_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:17 PM   #28
chalk
ninjette.org member

Name: Jess

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

any stands, tools, ss breaklines lines,hid lights, literature. etc?
chalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:48 PM   #29
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalk View Post
any stands, tools, ss breaklines lines,hid lights, literature. etc?
Huh?

Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:14 PM   #30
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

cool & congrats
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:29 PM   #31
awesome_r6
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalk View Post
any tools
Found one---hahaha..J/K
awesome_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #32
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome_r6 View Post
Found one---hahaha..J/K

I am so confused!

Old August 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #33
Blackwidow

hey Michelle, heard the bike on youtube...very awesome! it sounds like a monster.

Old August 24th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #34
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

you should check out the posts on shimming the needles. I dont think your bike has the lame ca model emmision control that retards the bike. But if you shim and remove the airbox to replace with pod filter it will really improve throttle response at a low price
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote