ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM   #1
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

Question Trade Offer

So I have been talking with a co-worker for quite some time now about making a trade. He has proposed a straight across trade for something of mine for his 1987 Ducati 750 Paso. It looks similar to the attached photo. The only thing that will come out of my pocket will be transferring the title, registering the bike in my name with my state, and insuring it.

It has about 24K miles on it. It has an aftermarket Mikuni carb, which is better than the stock carbs. For the most part, everything has been completely gone through, either refurbished or replaced. The only thing that doesn't work is the analog clock on the instrument cluster and there is an electric drain somewhere that drains the battery if left for long periods of time. It runs, sounds, and looks great; I know because I did go see it in person.

My only concern is availability of parts if anything breaks on it. Also, tires are an issue too, because the stock tire size is not available anymore however there are alternatives that work just as good after doing some research.

What do you guys think, should I go for it? It will NOT replace my ninjette.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (12.6 KB, 163 views)

Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:26 PM   #2
kkim

make sure there are no back taxes on the title. registration can be brutal with fines and fees, if he's been delinquent.

do you want that bike? why does he want to part with it?

Last futzed with by kkim; February 22nd, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:19 PM   #3
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Depends on what you are trading for it and how much that item is worth. That seems the key part of the evaluation. He asking for future draft pics? An evening of hide the sausage? Something you value less than about $3000? Yes, no, yes.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM   #4
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Well, as far as I know there are no back taxes on the title and the title is clean. However, I know that it hasn't been registered for a few years while he was working on it to get it in good running order. Since fixing it up, he says he has put about 600 miles on it. The only reason why he wants to get rid of it is because he doesn't ride it much.

Personally, I think it would be cool to own a classic Ducati, but it doesn't matter either way. If I don't get it I will be just as happy with a '09+ Ninja 650R in the near future. So I'm not dead set on getting it.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:25 PM   #5
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Depends on what you are trading for it and how much that item is worth. That seems the key part of the evaluation. He asking for future draft pics? An evening of hide the sausage? Something you value less than about $3000? Yes, no, yes.
The item that I would be trading it for is less than what I could get out the Ducati if I turned around and sold it to a private party or traded it in for something else.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM   #6
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoNinja View Post
The item that I would be trading it for is less than what I could get out the Ducati if I turned around and sold it to a private party or traded it in for something else.
Are you saying you sell your body for less than $3000 per night, then? Seems like a good deal. Seriously, though, if getting it is a net increase in value for you on open market, why not. You can always sell it, and a classic bike will probably hold value.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:41 PM   #7
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking too. That I can always sell it if I don't want it.

If I get it, I'll let you guys know.

Last futzed with by PsychoNinja; February 23rd, 2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Because I can. LOL
PsychoNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #8
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoNinja View Post
Well, as far as I know there are no back taxes on the title and the title is clean. However, I know that it hasn't been registered for a few years while he was working on it to get it in good running order. Since fixing it up, he says he has put about 600 miles on it. The only reason why he wants to get rid of it is because he doesn't ride it much.

Personally, I think it would be cool to own a classic Ducati, but it doesn't matter either way. If I don't get it I will be just as happy with a '09+ Ninja 650R in the near future. So I'm not dead set on getting it.
In California, not having it registered for a few years is the same as having back taxes on it. I would look into the fees involved in not having it registered for a few years.

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #9
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Also the up-keep on a classic duck is MEGA bucks. Nothing like our lil ninja.
Im sure he has figured that out, if it took him a couple years to get it back in running order and he didnt plate it.
All i can say is........If a deal sounds to good to be true, It usually is.
Have him sell it to someone else and then buy your ninjette so you can upgrade to a 650 if thats what you wish. That way you arent stuck holding the "bag" AND you can still ride.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Psycho, What concerns me is the electrical issue--as you said, leaking power. I could live without the clock--but is that problem related? There could be a possible fire lurking in the wire harness--who knows?

Were I in your place, I would check with Motor Vehicles in Utah and find out if the bike can be registered. (That is good advice Tri gave you)

The other thing I would do, would be to haul the bike to a Ducati dealer or a reputable shop that knows Ducati to establish the bike's value, and determine how much of an issue the electrical problem is. Certainly you would not want to be stranded on some back road if the bike should decide to quit. Renting a U-Haul to do this would be money well spent.

Old February 26th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #11
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Psycho, What concerns me is the electrical issue--as you said, leaking power. I could live without the clock--but is that problem related? There could be a possible fire lurking in the wire harness--who knows?

Were I in your place, I would check with Motor Vehicles in Utah and find out if the bike can be registered. (That is good advice Tri gave you)

The other thing I would do, would be to haul the bike to a Ducati dealer or a reputable shop that knows Ducati to establish the bike's value, and determine how much of an issue the electrical problem is. Certainly you would not want to be stranded on some back road if the bike should decide to quit. Renting a U-Haul to do this would be money well spent.
I agree, the electrical issue concerns me too. I'm actually leaning towards not getting it and working towards getting my Ninjette paid off and build up my skills so I can get an additional bike. Just need to decide if I'm going to stay with the sportbikes or get a cruiser of some kind.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Old March 4th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #12
insightt47
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010

dont do it
insightt47 is offline   Reply With Quote