ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 25th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #1
mike_k
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 25 (track), '02 Honda 919, '04 Honda NSR-50 (track)

Totsubo Exhaust Pictures

Since it doesn't seem like there are many pics of this exhaust system out there, I thought I'd share mine... I'm race prepping an '08 Ninja 250, and decided to go with the Totsubo.

They seem like they're well made, and they installed pretty much without issue.

As everyone seems to agree, they are VERY loud. I definitely wouldn't recommend them for a street bike. I did ride it around a bit to test them out, and even with a full face helmet, my ears were a little numb after a 1/2 hour ride. Looks like I'll need some earplugs for racing...

They don't quite clear the stock bodywork, as a couple of the pics show, but not too much would have to be trimmed to make it work. I'm in the process of installing Sharkskinz race bodywork, so we'll see how much needs to be trimmed off of the belly pan...

Since these pictures were taken, I have installed Woodcraft rearsets, was pleased to see that there aren't any clearance issues.

Here you can see the stock fairing just touching the pipe:

Here's a view of the fairing touching from the side:

mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Thanks for the pics/review.

All of our top 5-6 expert racers are sporting the Totsubo Exhaust. They're not loud...they're EXTREMELY loud!

Even on the track they're so loud you could hear them 3 corners before hitting the finish line. LMAO!

Anyhow, these are by far the best exhaust but I can't find myself dropping $800 for a Ninja250R exhaust.

BTW, post some pics of the sharkskinz. I really want those BW but again can't find myself to drop the coin....so I settled for HB cheapy BW. Iz sad. LOL
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Bueller999
Oldie but a goodie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 650r, 06 SV 650 race, 08 250r race, 03 Buell XB9s, 01 KTM 300 EXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post

BTW, post some pics of the sharkskinz. I really want those BW but again can't find myself to drop the coin....so I settled for HB cheapy BW. Iz sad. LOL
Sharkskinz I scored new off eBay for ~$350 shipped then used a 10% off coupon through Paypal so $315 total
Including windscreen
Bueller999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller999 View Post
Sharkskinz I scored new off eBay for ~$350 shipped then used a 10% off coupon through Paypal so $315 total

WTF? I hate you!!!

Old February 25th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Bueller999
Oldie but a goodie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 650r, 06 SV 650 race, 08 250r race, 03 Buell XB9s, 01 KTM 300 EXC

Yeah pretty good luck on that one, almost as good, was getting a CF AreaP exhaust for $250 almost new. But you gotta save the $ when you can, even building one of these to race spec can be pricey.
Bueller999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #6
mike_k
ninjette.org member

Quote:
All of our top 5-6 expert racers are sporting the Totsubo Exhaust. They're not loud...they're EXTREMELY loud!
Yeah, even my CRF250 dirt bike with the more open helmet doesn't make my ears numb like this bike/exhaust does... The Ninja is revving pretty high most of the time, though.

I think I've got access to a decibel meter at work. One of these days I'll borrow it and try and get some readings just for fun.

Quote:
I will post some Sharkskinz pics soon. I just test fitted the tail section yesterday. So far, no complaints...

Old February 27th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #7
sherjay
ninjette.org member

Name: Xtian

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r SE

Wow. Looks bad a$$. Time to put in a K&N filter and a jet kit? For the fairings touching the exhaust maybe a couple of washers could do the trick.
sherjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #8
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

it looks like a garage made straight pipe setup..hand MIG'd not TIG'd...not the best welds..have you/anyone had it dyno'd versus some other well made/popular units the like the areap and the tyga race?
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #9
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

http://www.hotmotostore.com/Totsubo-...stem_p_24.html

There is a dyno on that page. Id be afraid of getting kicked off of some of the tracks with that exhaust, I know at least Jennings has a DB limit.

Old February 28th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #10
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

I believe one of the top 3 racers has it tuned to 33 HP. And that's only in Superstock trim.

Old February 28th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #11
mike_k
ninjette.org member

I can't imagine a straight pipe being much louder than this. Those short little baffles might take the edge off just a bit, though.

The bike had the stock exhaust on it previously, so that's all I had to compare it to. It'll be a couple weeks before I'll be able to take it in to get jetted on a dyno...

I asked around a bit before I bought it, and I'm not aware of any local tracks having noise limits.

To be race legal I'll need to leave the airbox and snorkle in, so I'm a little worried this pipe won't be able to perform to its full potential.

On the plus side, I think it'll crash pretty well. Not that I really want to test that...

Old February 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #12
V2Neal
Bad-ass 250 racer

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, ATK 605, Honda CR250R

Dang that looks good.

for 8 bills though, I'd expect some nicer welds. I'm just picky. LOL
CRA #28. Just wave as you go by!
V2Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2011, 09:13 AM   #13
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluck View Post
have you/anyone had it dyno'd versus some other well made/popular units the like the areap and the tyga race?
For most people with limited tuning, it seems to make about 1 HP more than any other pipe. It makes great mid-range power and the top end hits redline a bit quicker than the other pipes.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:09 AM   #14
ungluck
sleeper

i was looking through the link posted and did some search..highest dyno i found was 33.4whp..

didn't another system put out 35whp?? maybe no tin race tri due to intake pods and FP jet kit...

i just think for 800..and being a fabricator...you should be getting better,stronger,lighter stainless and better craftsmanship...just me. it look slike it may be 304..but it may not be.just from a technical standpoint.it just seems kinda raw and unrefined. like two conical pieces, some straight 2" or 2.25 piping, a MIG and some cut up stainless...cheap baffles and bam...an exhaust is made.don't take this as a thrashing, just questioning it's price and worth as a "race"product....most "race" products require time and testing,etc.

loud doesn't mean power...nor does it mean flow..

Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:44 PM   #15
M.J.M.
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

It sure sounds like a "thrashing".
M.J.M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #16
ungluck
sleeper

well, forums aren't exactly a place that get the attitude of the statement across correctly.

coming from a fabricating and tuning point of view..i am puzzled as to how and why it costs so much and how other stuff i've been researching(exhausts) seem to make the same/more power with a better sound and setup...

Old July 6th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #17
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Well, it certainly LOOKS loud.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote