ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 12th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Brad Turner
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): none

22K Miles On a 2008, Too High?

OK, so its been awhile since Ive posted here (2 years). But, I might get back into bikes. Heres my question. Theres a 2008 250r for sale locally, but its got 22,000 miles on it. Too high? I plan on jetting it and adding an exhaust but Im afraid that the bikes mileage is way too high for mods. Should I wait for a lower mileage one or go for this one?
Brad Turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Why would mileage preclude mods? I've got 22,700 miles on mine. If I had made mods back when I bought the bike, I'd hate to think that there'd be a problem with them by this point!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #3
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Adding more airflow and compensating the fuel mixture accordingly would not be mods that would harm and engine. Being too lean will harm an engine regardless of miles. So long as the oils been changed regularly I wouldn't let the miles bother me. Good luck.

meant to say the valves as well.

Last futzed with by backinthesaddleagain; June 13th, 2011 at 10:03 AM.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #4
shawn57187
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Cool

There's nothing wrong with higher mileage bikes if they've been well maintained. If you do look into buying this bike, I'd check out the following:
- Look for rotted wellnuts, grommets, and damaged plastic fasteners. They can get expensive to replace.
- Check for excessive pitting and road rash on the bottoms of the fairings. Unless you don't care and want to repaint.
- Ask for maintenance records if they have any.
- Make sure that if mods were done that they were done correctly or that you have the money to remove \ repair them.
- Tires, brake pads, rotors, chain, sprockets all may need replacing around that time.
- Look for stripped bolts and screws.

If you get the bike you will definitely want to replace all the fluids, replace the oil filter, o rings, and associated bolts. You will also want to totally clean the bikes engine using a kerosene based cleaner like wd40. At that mileage the bike probably has a fair amount grime on the engine that could hide leaks or damage. The bike will probably need a good waxing with a fine cut cleaner.

Or the bike could be totally spotless and none of that stuff is needed! my point, make sure repairs ate all accounted for in your pricing of the bike. A well maintained bike should last you a long time

Old June 13th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #5
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

If it's cheap I'd go for it.

To add to the advice listed; when asking for maint records make sure to check if they have scheduled valve adjustments recorded, what was out of spec, what was replaced etc. If you get it done at a shop they list measurements on your maint record. I wouldn't trust "I did it" unless they have measurements recorded for all 8 valves. That's the only thing I'd worry about with a high mileage bike. If it's been properly maintained I don't see a problem with that mileage.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #6
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

I've got over 10,000 on mine and it's not even a year old. still purrs just like the day i brought her home. With the engineering that goes into todays bikes you pretty well have to wad them up to kill them as long as you change the oil regularly and look after them
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #7
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

if its cheap i would get it but you can get a bike with much lower milage for not to expensive. mine is a 2009 and i scored it for 3300 with only 1600 miles on it so its really whatever is in your price range

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #8
caferacer
Caferacer

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Look at it this way, buying used relieves you of having to deal with that nightmare first 1K break in...I have 10K on my 2008 and i just ride when I want to, not because I have to. Go for it!!
caferacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #9
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

I really say; no. Mine is at 17xxx and it feels great. Just as good as it did 3000km ago whe I got it. Motorcycles aren't built to be useless!

I'd go for it! You can always buy another bike if you feel this one isn't right (non relevant). Plan on it as being a first and not last bike! I'd even suggest planning "okay I'll put 2000km and it and sell it" by the time you reach that 2000 you won't want to let go of it =p

It's a great bike, evennnn with lots of mileage!

Old June 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #10
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

There is a guy on another forum that has over 200k on his honda f4i so I wouldnt be worried about it.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Brad Turner
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): none

Took a look at it and it wasnt in the best condition. Both fairings were in pretty bad shape, one side had a hole in it. Biggest problem I had is when it was running I noticed a loud tapping noise from under the tank. More than likely it was a valve problem, but the owner said the valves were just adjusted. So I passed on it. Still searching.
Brad Turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #12
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

Yeah I would have passed on it too
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #13
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
good on ya Brad! If a bike has been taken care of, miles isn't a problem... I have twice that on my bike, and just put on a slip-on for the first time...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote