ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #1
stewy832
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Stew

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250

Losing Power

This past wednesday I was riding around town doing some errands when on the way home (on the freeway I might add) my Ninja starts to rapidly lose power until the point where it just died. I was able to push it to the side of the off ramp where after about 10 minutes of sitting it started up again. I once again got up to speed, got about 3 miles down the road and it loses power and dies again. Wait another 15min-ish and I can turn it on again where I get to a parkinglot to await my roommate for towing purposes.

What could be the problem? It recently had valve issues (one was stuck) and I took in to the shop and they got it running. During this most recent ride I could here some hissing/popping occasionally before it died.

I've been told it could be due to running out of gas. It 'could' be that but I highly doubt it. I went less than 100 miles on a full tank when this problem started. I can still see and hear gas in the tank as well.

Thanks!

p.s. hello, I'm new here
stewy832 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #2
kkim

did you try flipping the fuel selector to "reserve" to see if it helped?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
It is either a very low fuel level, as stated by KKim, that would require switching to reserve to use up the rest of the available fuel or the tiny fuel filter that goes to the carbs is partialy clogged alowing enough fuel to fill the fuel bowls to get you going but not enough to keep them full.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #4
stewy832
ninjette.org newbie

I had been running with the reserve on since the last fill up, so that can't be it. It's possible it could be the fuel filter. How difficult is it to get to the fuel filter and what would I be looking for to identify it as the problem?

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #5
kkim

first, you shouldn't run on reserve unless you like pushing your bike. always set it back to "on" after you fill up.

two filters... one in the tank (on the fuel petcock, actually) and one at the end of the fuel line where the fuel line enters the carbs. it's a small inline filter.

Next time it dies, try opening the gas cap and see if the bike starts then. you may have a venting problem with your tank.

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #6
stewy832
ninjette.org newbie

Hmm, I did buy an aftermarket keyless fuel cap that screws on. Not sure if it allows venting :/

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #7
kkim

did your problem start about the same time you installed it? what brand cap?

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #8
stewy832
ninjette.org newbie

It did, but honestly it would be hard to say it is the cap and not something else. The gas cap is SSR, same one found in this link: Gas Cap. They also claim it is vented.

The bike was 'crashed' in November, was sitting until about a month or so ago when I finally took it in to see what was wrong. They said a valve was stuck and after just continually trying to get the thing started it finally turned over and was ok. Problem was, I couldn't open my gas tank and it still had the same gas in it from back in November. I rode it about 15miles before I got the new gas cap and could finally put more gas in it. The problem of it dying did happen before this past Wednesday but I was able to start it within a minute and didn't have another problem until recently.

Be back to tomorrow to followup, bed time.

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #9
kkim

Couple of things... try opening the cap to see if that helps and if you still are running old gas in the tank, you might want to think about draining the tank completely and refilling with fresh gas.

will look for your update tomorrow.

Last futzed with by kkim; July 8th, 2011 at 11:59 AM.

Old July 8th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sounds like nasty gas

Old July 8th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #11
stewy832
ninjette.org newbie

Probably won't get around to getting anything done with it until tomorrow but just wanted to thank everyone for the help so far!

Old July 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #12
kkim

NP... when you need the help, we're here.

Old July 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #13
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
NP...just one big helpful family.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #14
stewy832
ninjette.org newbie

Update. Weird update.

Decided to go ahead and fill the bike up with gas - it took about 3.7gal so it was def quite low. Started it up and rode it for a bit and all was fine. Switched the fuel thingy (forgot what its called) to 'ON' instead of 'RESERVE' too. Got back to my apartment and parked next to the mailbox to check the mail. Got back on and the bike wouldn't do anything. No lights, no clicking attempt to start, no nothing. Walked to my apartment and talked to my roommate who said he'd walk back over to it with me to try and diagnose the problem. We got to the bike and I try starting it and I make sure I'm doing everything right (which I am). And he asks if I'm starting in neutral....side story...

....Back in Novemeber I had a low side, the result of which was that I HAD TO and COULD ONLY start the bike in gear and with the clutch pulled in...

...back to today. I put the bike in neutral and it won't start with the clutch pulled. Let the clutch go and try to start it and wallah! Starts right up. What the F*@&?? No idea what would make it do that and it seems completely random.

The initial problem could have just been the gas situation and me being dramatic. But what's up with this new starting thing?! lol

Either way I'm looking into selling this bike (if possible given its problems) and getting one of the new generation models if for no other reason than for peace of mind.

Ugh.

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #15
kkim

sounds like an intermittent/flaky clutch safety switch.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Underst...afety_switches

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Checkin..._safety_switch

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cleanin..._clutch_switch